Jackson County Employee Reviews

Supportive Environment With Need for Stronger Leadership
Mid Level Management (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMarch 21, 2018
Top level leadership runs scattered. Needs to be able to prioritize and needs to communicate better to the rest of the agency. Pay structure rewards longevity, not work. There are limited opportunities for advancement.
Part time job and very flexable
Administrative Secretary (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILMarch 2, 2018
I reported to 7 board members and my time was very flexible. Working there you had to be very independent because you worked by yourself and had really no direction. I liked it.
It is a good place to work
Deputy Clerk (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MIJanuary 2, 2018
Not a lot of advancement opportunities. The insurance benefits have changed and it is not comparanle to what we did have at one time.
It can be a very stressful place of employment.
Cons
changing health insurance, not comparable to what we did have
Dangerous and mis managed
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MODecember 4, 2017
Staff problems run rampant at this facility. Safety and security are not at the forefront. Management negatively affects the operation of the facility. Totally indifferent attitude towards staff. Poor, ineffective and misfocused decisions cause problems.
Pros
County has great benifits
Cons
Inept and willfully indifferent operation cause problems.
Was not trained properly
911 Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Jefferson, GANovember 5, 2017
I was trained by several different people on different shifts. I was not give the chance to preform the job myself to practice. I felt like I was not treated fairly and felt not wanted at this position.
Pros
Happy to help people on emergency
Cons
Co-workers were not helpful
Not worth the hassle
Budget Analyst (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 26, 2017
This environment is getting worse by each passing week. Unless you are upper management you will have nothing to worry about. If you are low on the seniority then you will not last long.
Pros
Maybe benefits
Cons
Pay is WAY LOW when comparing
Men need not apply.
Assistant Prosecuting Attorney (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 2, 2017
Current Prosecutor is very biased in favor of women - both as to defendants and, especially, to male employees. Men need not apply.

The elected prosecutor's strange new policies and bias against men led to a critical shortage of attorneys who know how to conduct a trial. As a result, the Public Defender's office was far more reluctant to take a plea offer.

Trials were lost, criminals walked.
Pros
I learned a lot while I was there.
Cons
Walking on eggshells all day long....
Not a great place
Manager of patient accounting (Former Employee) –  Altus, OKApril 6, 2017
Management in certain departments was horrible!! I am glad I left, they are in debt and management talks very badly about employess which I am not comfortable with
Jackson County Tax Office
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Medford, ORFebruary 20, 2017
The job I was hired for was Customer Service Specialist......which fit my skill set. To my sorrow, I found that helping customers is the least important requirement of the job. I was asked to stop building rapport with customers, as it was not necessary, and to keep my voice down and my natural ebullience under wraps. I tried very hard to comply with these demands, but ended up being fired during my probationary period.....with no reason given.
Assessment Clerk (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 19, 2017
Teamwork is key, Knowledge is key, on the job training is a plus. People are knowledgeable. Patience is a key factor. Customer Service background is a plus in this setting.
I enjoyed my time here
Relative Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Medford, ORJanuary 18, 2017
Senior Services was a great partner in caring for my mother. They provided me with several resources and great support. I enjoyed working with my care worker and she was very helpful and kind.
Business Analyst/Lead Tester (Current Employee) –  Medford, ORDecember 7, 2016
Not a lot of extra perks, but a solid and reliable place to work with good benefits and a great management team (speaking of the IT department, specifically).
Easy but with laziness culture
Beach Manager (Current Employee) –  Lees Summit, MOJune 30, 2016
Easy job with continuation and advancement opportunities if you will do the work. Tend to make additional rules mid-season that nobody likes and nobody gets a chance to object to. Middle of the day shifts that make it hard to plan anything around. Tend to hire the first people to apply out of fear for not getting enough applicants because the pay is below average by as much as $3.00/hr. This results in the same poor quality workers getting hired repeatedly because they applied and passed a drug and background test. The culture is one of laziness and insubordination because the direct supervisors have no real authority over their employees and their supervisors refuse to fire anyone because they are too afraid of not having enough workers. However, they are great people, easy to talk to, and attempt to resolve any facility maintenance issues promptly. If you are willing to put up with the bad apples, there are still some good apples here as well.
Pros
Occasional Free Lunches, Relaxed Environment
Cons
Lazy employees, NO authority over employees or patrons
Volunteer
Assist visitors upon arrival (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MIJune 17, 2016
When I was working for Jackson County I was doing more of volunteer work. I wanted some more office experience. The ladies in the office gave me projects to work on such as filling.
My typical workday
Correction Officer (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 2, 2016
My typical work day, I get to work go to my assigned post, I do well being checks on inmates every 25 minutes, I do bunk inspections, escort inmates to other parts of the facility. I write reports, I do daily stats, etc. The management is okay, there is still alot of work that needs to happen within the facility, we are very short staffed, the hardest part of the job is the long hours, and not knowing whats going to happen on a day to day basis, because inmates are very unpredictable. The most enjoyable part of the job is some of my co-workers.
Pros
health insurance, vision and dental, all the days off.
Cons
sometimes no breaks, very short staffed, long hours.
Public Service employment
Senior Paralegal (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMay 16, 2016
The County is a political employer and changes with the election season can be challenging. The co-workers are great and I have the ability to make an impact in my daily work.
Pros
job security
Cons
political environment
Real estate, GIS, data entry
Real Estate Clerk & GIS Tech (Current Employee) –  Holton, KSJanuary 5, 2016
I spent a lot of time exporting ,analyzing, and entering data and working on a GIS map. I enjoy new challenges and learning new things.
Nothing good to say
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Medford, ORNovember 3, 2015
Would not recommend the department i worked for.....not good management... this department was mis ran and they dismiss you with no reason
Perfect government agency to take care of family issues
Court Clerk II/Secretary II (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 2, 2015
Enjoyed working with the staff and learning about the procedures of how families are dealt with that have issues with their children. Did learn quite a lot
Pros
Dependable pay
Cons
Temporary
Good benefits, but not much else
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Jackson CountyMay 20, 2015
the summary pretty much says it all. benefits are good. paid holidays. monday through friday schedule. the pay is minimal. there is no room for advancement.