Jackson Hewitt Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
51.3K
Found 2,835 reviews matching the search See all 2,838 reviews
Love it
Seasonal Tax Preparer Jackson Hewitt Amarillo (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXOctober 17, 2018
Best place to work ever seasonal work though loved it so much it was hard to say goodbye but you can work every tax season so that's great the area manager and Amarillo is awesome great lady to work for keeps in touch with you all year long doesn't mind if you call her and ask her questions just really good people to work with and work for
Pros
Great people
Cons
Wish it was all year long
Stressful seasonal job with angry employees
IT Call Center rep (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLOctober 17, 2018
The atmosphere is extremely negative in the company's call center in Florida.
I worked there for one season in 2017-18 and the seasonal workers are treated by the staff with little respect. They are impatient, condescending and very angry.
This is a stressful job - as a result of poor training and lack of support - and the pay is minimal for the skills required.
You are monitored by staff to be accountable for every minute of your shift.
I lasted less than three months and was happy to find a new full-time tech support job with a professionally run company.
Pros
Cons
condescending staff, lack of management control and low pay for the skills required.
active workplace
Tax preparer (Current Employee) –  Longmont, COOctober 16, 2018
every tax return is unique , so you learn more everyday by preparing tax return . you feel productive when you help customers with their tax issues and have them to feel comfortable related to filing taxes
Pros
you are supported all the time
Cons
it is seasonal
Client generated work atmosphere
Lead tax preparer (Former Employee) –  Clinton, MOOctober 16, 2018
Client generated work atmosphere within a Wal Mart store arranging from non-existent to individuals waiting in line for assistance. Must be able to concentrate in an noisy atmosphere both verbal, ringing phones, etc.
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Spartanburg, SCOctober 15, 2018
The job was enjoyable. Everyone in the office worked well together. The office was clean and the manager worked with everyone as far as a workable schedule.
Great and valuable experience.
Professional (Seasonal) Tax Preparer (Current Employee) –  Delaware, OHOctober 12, 2018
I worked 4-5 hours daily. It was my second job. Great management and very helpful co-workers. Very good organization at work and flexible hours. Training before tax season was always helpful.
Lots of training, competative salary
Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Horseheads, NYOctober 11, 2018
The work was busy busy busy. There wasn't a lot of time to have a break or breathe. Since it was so busy you ended up making the bonuses really quick. There was a lot of training and team building.
Pros
Team building, competitive wages
Cons
Really busy
Great learning place. Friendly work place.
Tax Preparer (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 11, 2018
Fast pace when needed. Learn about people as well as how to help people. The hardest part of the job is saying good bye at the end of the season. The best part of the job is helping a customer understand any all parts of their return. Then seeing the smile on their faces knowing you eased their frustrations.
Pros
Meeting new people all the time.
Cons
Not being able to help everyone.
Helping people learn
Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COOctober 10, 2018
A typical day for me was doing customer tax returns and answering all the questions they had. I learned a lot about taxes and possible refunds I never new about. Management was fine. The hardest part was telling a customer they had to pay taxes when they thought they were getting a return. The most enjoyable was telling a customer they are getting a refund when they though they were not.
Pros
Giving customers good news
Cons
Giving customers bad news
Productive Workplace
Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INOctober 10, 2018
Productive workplace with opportunities to improve and gain more job knowledge. Benefits are lacking, however. I did like the flexible hours. And I did enjoy working with the clients.
Good Place to Work
Tax Preparer/Office Manager (Current Employee) –  DeLand, FLOctober 10, 2018
Management is very flexible and considerate. I've learned a lot about how to do tax preparation and helping others with their taxes. The most enjoyable part of my job is working with clients.
I come to work and prepare tax returns. At work it is all business
Tax Preparer (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 8, 2018
My work day is taken up preparing returns. I review returns that the preparer has marked supervisor review. I am at the District office so I am given some of these returns. I will either ok the return or I will explain the error to the preparer.

I will talk to inexperienced preparers to help them if they are having a problem.

I have been able to earn over 140 CEUs during my time with Jackson Hewitt.
Pros
Dealing with the public. Learning
Cons
Very little flexibility on decisions
Flexible Hours
Professional Tax Technician (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaOctober 8, 2018
Training could have been more detailed oriented with more real-life scenarios and practices. When it's busy it can be pretty hectic, but management is always open to help and they do their best to assist and resolve the issue immediately. The hardest part of the job is dealing with unsatisfied customers in front of waiting customers due to the small office Walmart space. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting all the new people and hearing their life stories and watching their face light up when they hear the new offers and specials Jackson Hewitt offers and how satisfied they are with their services.
Pros
Flexible hours, commission
Good seasonal job.
Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Fort Oglethorpe, GAOctober 8, 2018
I worked for Jackson Hewitt for one season. It was a very satisfactory position, and the office was located only five miles from my home. Due to an impending move, when I was asked to return the next year, I declined.
Lies, Lies and more Lies
Director (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJOctober 7, 2018
Corporate leaders treat you like toilet paper. You are just a body to fill a spot and expected to work like a slave.
There is not such a thing as work-life balance. And if they tell you there is balance then they are lying.
You are on call all week and any time.
Say good bye to your life and get ready to make senior management rich.
It was nice job
Scheduler/Caller (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NY 14622October 4, 2018
It was a nice job if u like working w numbers & doing taxes. I was only there for a month. I had to deal w some personal issues. The manager was cool.
Pros
understanding manager
Cons
had to be dressed up all the time
Best place ever
Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 4, 2018
I have worked on and off for this company since I was 18 years old. Jackson Hewitt is a place where you can grow with the company and the people are very nice.
Great place to learn a great trade,!
Tax Professional / Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IA, Chicago IlOctober 4, 2018
Jackson Hewitt gave you great educational classes to learn the skill correctly and positively. The classes were about 8 to 10 weeks yearly whether you are new or current employee. Most people needs this type of business for yearly tax help and preparation.
Pros
Great settling for comfort to learn a great trade
Great Company/poor Management
Store Supervisor (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Riverdale, GAOctober 3, 2018
Great Company with flexible hours. The management was inconsistent. Training needs to be more intense for less experienced tax consultants. They need to develop a program to train employees how to do business taxes for small businesses.
Pros
Training
Cons
Under Paid
knowledgable and a positive enviorment
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaOctober 1, 2018
I can do the work and deliver exceptional results with the task I'm was giving a success everyday. I was challenge with difficult decision and manage excellent result.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Jackson Hewitt. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

54out of 100

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Jackson Hewitt.

Powered by Comparably