Jacksonville University Employee Reviews

Fun Place to Learn
Chairside Orthodontic Assistant (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLDecember 3, 2018
As an assistant you're a glorified waitress. The doctors (residents) have to do all the procedures on their own. Each assistant was in charge of keeping about 7 dr's areas stocked and if they page over the intercom they need anything you bring it. Not chairside but a really good place to learn about ortho if you're new to it. They did everything from TADs to lab work to indirect bonding. I don't use much of the information I learned there at any of the offices I've been to since but it gives you a sense of confidence when moving on that you've learned something while working there. Summer months Memorial Day - Labor Day are M-Th position and "winter" months is a 1/2 day on Friday's. I think I remember most days were 8-6 and assistants opened at 7:30ish. Great benefits. You can earn a degree while working there but the classes are limited to what's available around the schedule. Assistants can be super catty and judgmental but that's when I worked there with a "younger" crowd. I'm not sure if those girls still work there.
Pros
Benefits, Salary Based, Summer Hours
Cons
Catty Co-Workers
Relaxed working environment
RN Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLNovember 22, 2018
There was adequate staff which allowed for a relaxed working environment. Each of the instructors were very professional and passed on that professionalism to the students served.
Pros
Quiet atmosphere
Cons
Recognition for job well done
Great University!
Assistant Director, Graduate Admissions (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLNovember 2, 2018
Great University
Awesome students
Free employer parking
Close to the beach!
Private, liberal arts college
Great Place, worse than horrible management
Adjunct Professor - English Language Program (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLNovember 1, 2018
I was hired over a month prior to the classes starting, we had 3 meetings. The 3rd meeting which was 4 days before the term was to begin, the program manager told me and 1 other teacher, NO CLASSES...they kept just one teacher.
We were assured this was an accident and told to keep in touch. Thanks! Well I did. The same manager told me the problem was fixed and I was hired again...had to go through all the same paper work...odd. I taught the term. I was given a course-book based on Ted Talks, but the classroom had No Audio, No Visual and NO WHITEBOARD? I was given a paper pad to write on. The students and I found an available classroom with a Whiteboard and requested a change. The room also had a projector, but the bulb was burnt out...they never replaced it (10 weeks) .

I had 3 meetings asking if there would be teaching over the Summer, if not no problem just give me time to make a plan for my summer. The same manager emphatically insisted that I stay and they need me. Two days before the end of the term, that manager told me the enrollment was a little light and they could not keep me for Summer...??? NO NOTICE after then entire term saying "Awesome" "We need you" ...Also the hiring person, made several vulgar and crude jokes, one time using heavy expletives about the foreign students not thinking they were around, luckily they didn't hear as entering the testing room.
Also the person who observed me said I had no rubric for the Speech portion of my exam when that rubric was given to the students and in front of me on my desk. I emailed that in following
  more... the test.  less
Pros
decent pay, they don't bother you, but that's because so aloof...
Cons
terrible management, no support, inappropriate jokes, unprofessional observation
Adjunct Faculty
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLOctober 1, 2018
No issues. Fun and relaxed environment.Enjoyed interacting with students who were there to learn. It was a welcoming experience. My supervisor was really nice and supportive.
JU is a challenging place to work & offers many opportunities to implement new technology.
Jacksonville (Current Employee) –  JacksonvilleSeptember 26, 2018
The IT department is small in size, but offers a lot of services.

The team is very dedicated and it's a great working environment.

Individuals who are able to work independently will appreciate the lack of micro-managing.
Pros
Job duties are wide-ranging and offer experiences to learn many new technologies.
Cons
The pay is not competitive and raises are infrequent.
Exciting and dynamic place to work
Assistant Director of Admissions (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLSeptember 12, 2018
If you are a self motivated individual who wants to learn and takes on challenges you will go far in this environment and have no shortage of opportunity. The staff that work here are very caring and the students are motivated and intelligent.
Pros
Education benefits, paid time off, free activities and gym
Cons
Pay is not reflective of the responsibility
Student job on campus
Financial Aid Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLAugust 29, 2018
First year of college and I decided to do work study. I met many wonderful people during this short period of time. It required a lot of patience but eventually you get the hang of it and everything starts to flow.
college
Lab Manager/Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLAugust 15, 2018
while in college worked at the college lab. had great benefits and pay while there and a great opportunity to learn......................................................
Productive Atmosphere to Thrive In
Helpdesk Technician (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLAugust 8, 2018
Productive Atmosphere to Thrive In. A very nurturing environment where one can learn and grow. The opportunity to continuously learn and further knowledge was insurmountable.
Good place to work with some issues
Statistical Analyst (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJune 30, 2018
It is a nice place to work but there are some issues. The pay is not the best since it is a university. My main problem is that there is no room for advancement within the company. Usually they will look for people outside the university instead of within.
Pros
Nice environment
Cons
Lack of advancement
Flexible
Undergraduate Researcher (Former Employee) –  Biology DeptJune 21, 2018
Learned a lot. Once you find a professor that actually believes i you and is interested in seeing your work progress, you will have a great experience.
Management was great!
Admissions Office Assistant, Internship (Former Employee) –  Admissions OfficeJune 9, 2018
As an intern, I was allowed ample time to complete my data collection and computer application tasks, and I worked well with everyone in my department.
Pros
My immediate supervisors were professional and very helpful.
Pretty simple job
Computer Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 16, 2018
There isn't a lot required when working on campus. You actually learn a lot from working for a help desk. Additionally, learning how to speak to different kinds of people is a great learning experience.
Private University
Administrative Associate (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLApril 28, 2018
It is a professional atmosphere with a relaxed way about it. Everyone is friendly, and easy to get along with. It is a culture that promotes health and well being.
Pros
one free lunch a week, nice people to work with/for, time off, holidays, 1/2 day Fridays during summer months.
Cons
salary compensation, lack of raises
Wonderful environment
Fine Arts Camp Director (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLApril 23, 2018
Very nice atmosphere, wonderful campus. Great staff and students to work with. Fine arts camp is wonderful opportunity for students to learn and grow in their dance/musical theatre background.
Web Developer (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 29, 2018
Jacksonville University is a great place to work. The benefits at JU are amazing. From the 4 weeks of vacation to all of the school breaks you can't beat working at JU.
I've learned a lot at JU and I'm ready to move on.
Jacksonville (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 28, 2018
I believe that JU has many excellent qualities. There are some brilliant people in Academic Affairs, and the President is very dedicated to the university.
This position was a starter for computer operations
Computer Operator II (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLNovember 24, 2017
This was a starter position to work in the computer field and learned a lot about working with computer hardware. Built 2 computer labs using TRS 80 and converted them to work with a mainframe. This job had a laid back environment
Pros
Stress free
Cons
No advancement
fair
Assistant Men's and Women's Golf Coach (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLOctober 13, 2017
I was a voluntary employee. They treated me well and allowed me to get some coaching experience so I could move up the coaching ranks. I had no issues.