Jacksonville Zoo and Gardens Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Great institution!
Bird Keeper (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 5, 2018
Really a great group of people dedicated to the most ethical and professional animal care and education conservation possible. I truly enjoyed my time working at JZG.
Excellent facilities and a deep-seated passion for its animals
Intern (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJune 4, 2018
A typical day for me included data collection either on-site or via security camera footage of the animals in their enclosures. My co-workers and supervisors were friendly and willing to help me; they also were ready to answer any questions that I had. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to build a relationship with the animals, something that simply strolling past them on your typical zoo day could never give you.
Fun place to work
Mammal Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 6, 2018
Fun place to work. All the staff are caring about the animals and fellow co-workers. Everyone is very helpful and will go beyond their duty to help others.
Fun and always exciting
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 22, 2018
My time volunteering at the zoo was both fun and rewarding great team and I actually learned a lot about myself and animals and plants I hope to get employed there one day
It was ok
Guest Services Associate (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLNovember 30, 2017
I liked the zoo it was always my dream place to work until I got turned down for full-time when I had been there for over two years and someone who was still in the probation period go the job.Overall if it wasn't for the management I would have stayed there.
Pros
Extra hours during special events.
food services former employee
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLOctober 10, 2017
its an ok job but the managers talk to you poorly. they don't care about your outside life. they make you work nights even if you told them you couldn't you either worked the schedule or you would be fired. its like slave work. but working there made me learn that you don't have to be treat that way as an employee. I loved my job but supervisors and managers don't know how to treat their employees.
Pros
free lunch and discounts
Cons
poor managements
Great volunteering and communication experience
SPOOKTACULAR VOLUNTEER (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLSeptember 29, 2017
I worked here for volunteer hours as well as experience with interacting with others on a vigorous and an "on the toes" type of job. This place helped fill the requirements for the Pre-Natal department volunteering opportunity at UF Health in downtown Jacksonville.
Pros
volunteer hours
Cons
seasonal
Fun, demanding, job
Food Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 30, 2017
The benefits to working for the Zoo were amazing. As a full time employee you had many perks. You also had many benefits and access to other attractions through here. You could walk the zoo on your breaks and see all the beautiful animals and exhibits. Fun environment.
Pros
Benefits, perks, Animals, exhibits
Cons
Demanding
Great company to work for
Food service associate (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 30, 2017
The jacksonville zoo and gardens is an excellent company to work for if you are looking for a day time job. The hours are excellent, the pay is well, and the management is on point. The crews are filled with excellent people who know how to get along with one another, so there is no worry about rough shifts. Only time you have to work nights is during special events such as Spooktacular or Zoo Lights!
Pros
Free admission into various attractions all over Florida, good benefits for full time, etc.
interseting place to work
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 26, 2017
very busy at times, it was always interesting to see the animal, the management was standoffish but i was always treated well. Security usually had a good relationship with other departments.
Terribly treated, and the animals were in bad shape.
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 16, 2017
Constantly got yelled at, and people would put me places and not tell me how to do my new assigned job. The animals were in pain most days and they would hide them in the back whenever they would be crying so guests did not hear.
Pros
I met some amazing friends.
Cons
Treated awful.
Overview
Lead Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 2, 2017
Some days its fine and other days its non-stop! Choose wisely you have to deal with a different group of people on a regular basis .....and turn over rate is very high
Pros
Great benifits
Cons
Not good enough pay for the work in some departments
Primate Keeper (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 31, 2017
This zoo strives hard, for the most part, to keep the animals needs first. It is a wonderful zoo to work for and they treat their animals and employees well. I would work there again.
Its fun for kids but not a a career
Food Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 11, 2017
its a good entry job but they dont pay well enough for what you deal with. I would recommend thid job to young adults only. There is not much room for career advancement.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
short breaks
employee
Guest Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 26, 2017
working for the Jacksonville zoo was an amazing experience you get to work with genuine caring people and you also get to see beautiful animals and its also a plus to see the excitement on our customers face.
Pros
free entry, benefits
Cons
hours
I have a lot of nostalgia about working here
Educator (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 9, 2017
The education department was my home, and man was it amazing. Being an education guide was a very rewarding job, I enjoyed working with and teaching our guests so much. My coworkers and bosses were all good people, save a couple coworkers only there for the paycheck. It was easy to see who was there because they were passionate about animals.
Pros
flexible schedules, working directly with animals, employment appreciation
Cons
not full time
its okay
guest services (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLAugust 1, 2016
management could be much better
must me able to work outside all day everyday
you get to visit many different theme parks for free that's great
never get a raised
Pros
get to go to different theme parks for free
Cons
managment
unique place to work
Food Service Associate (Current Employee) –  jacksonville floridaJuly 18, 2016
It is an ok place to work. Its just not for me i dont like to deal with drama and gossip and working there was like being in middle school all over again.
Pros
one free meal during working shift
Cons
favoritism shown
Fun Place to work
Guest Relations Office Personnel (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 3, 2016
It is a fun work environment, the people that you work with are amazing. The management need work though. It is a fun place to learn and grow, as a person and learn new experiences.
Pros
the people are fun to work with
Cons
the pay sucks, you put up with too much to get paid to less
It's ok not a career
Guest Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJune 27, 2016
Low pay, drama, drama, drama mainly with managers and supervisors all they do is gossip and talk about workers always in your business and never have schedule ready on time , always copying and pasting schedule, and plays lots of favoritism. & will hire someone who doesn't know the job for a new position rather than hire within the company. They are so unorganized and don't really care about there employees.
Pros
Discounts, meet some great people, free membership afte being there over 6months
Cons
Short breaks, low pay, hot, unorganized, favoritism, drama