James Hardie Building Products Employee Reviews

Productive and Fun Workplace
HR Assistant, Strategic Marketing (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 13, 2018
This is a great company has a great team working environment and really helps excel employees for professional development and growth within the company.
Pros
medical benefits, health & wellness benefits, great work culture
kind of workplace
Manufacturing Technician (Former Employee) –  Plant City, FLSeptember 12, 2018
i enjoyed working for this company and it offered alot of beneficial benefits. There was a break in economy and they did a major layoff and my department took a hit.
Pros
unlimited overtime
Cons
worked on Sundays
Stressful place to work with cut throat environment, but had an excellent safety program.
Raw Materials Operator (Former Employee) –  Fontana, CAAugust 20, 2018
The one very positive thing I can say about Hardy, was it had the most comprehensive safety program I have ever seen, with daily safety reports, daily safety meetings, and weekly classes provided by the national safety director. It also allowed for the individual to incorporate new safety procedures that would become protocol upon review of the safety coordinator.
Pros
Free lunch Fridays which were catered by offsite businesses.
Pretty decent place to work kind a wish I still did
PST (Former Employee) –  Dublin, VAAugust 19, 2018
All except for the politics involved with working there I would say this is generally a really good company to work for. They offer a lot but they also ask a lot. Make sure you get your promises in writing though. Can’t really complain too much about it lotta long hours and long days what not but the four on four off was really cool.
Overall not a great place to work
Cost Accountant (Current Employee) –  ChicagoAugust 14, 2018
Lots of posturing in this company and very limited focus on actual improvement. Very mismanaged from the corporate side and poor communication down the chain about goals and strategies. The culture is very competitive to the point of employees only looking out for themselves rather than the benefit of the company. CEO has not set a clear path and mircomanages to an extreme level. This is carried on down through the corporate managers and little freedom is given to the plants to work on their own solutions. All the individual plants are kept separated so no shared knowledge or best practices can be incorporated throughout the company. All the systems and reporting are at least 5 years behind the industry as a whole.
Pros
Free lunch on fridays, good pay, and good benefits
Cons
Poor managment, difficult culture, very demanding of plant operations, definite class system between corporate offices and manufacturing facilities
Extremely enjoyable employment enviroment
General construction/maintenance R&D department (Former Employee) –  Fontana, CAAugust 3, 2018
I enjoyed working for James Hardie R&D Department all employees of the company are very helpful and understanding. I wish I could of had the opportunity to get hired on in a position that was needed a person. But my time didn’t come around quick enough. I would have to say working for Kevin & James in R&D side of James Hardie was extremely the best job I have ever had during my life to working and enjoyed every day to wake up and go to work. The company take cares if there employees in the littlest ways to appreciate what they do in a daily basis. As there Employement with the company. If I ever have the opportunity to be employed by them I would leave my current position with any comelny and go back without loosing a wink of sleep.

I want to say Thank You to all that gave me the opportunity to have employment with James Hardie for the time I was with you. I appreciate all that you have done for me and taught me more then I already knew. Thank You Kevin,James, and Chad for everything please keep me in mind if you ever need a employee for a position in future
Pros
Awesome company to work for
Cons
Hardly none of any
Results Oriented Company
Midwest Install Strategic Segment Leader (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 31, 2018
Results focused organizational. Aggressive goals and reviewed / assessed performance based upon 12 months results and trending results. Given autonym to perform in role and support to achieve set results with correct strategic & tactical game planning
10k specialist (Former Employee) –  Dublin, VAJuly 18, 2018
Enjoyed my position and my co workers , found the work experience helpful and the position challenging, it was a hard days work that you could feel good about after. I enjoyed the atmosphere and most management.
great job
Shipping and Receiving Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Pulaski, VAJuly 10, 2018
love the job great place to work the people at the job want to see you moving up in the company as long as u did your job and want to move up, it was alway work never seen them lay anyone off
Pros
free lunches
dont apply
Operator/Laborer (Former Employee) –  Peru, ILJuly 10, 2018
they will throw you on any shift whether you like it or not without any notice and give you a hard time if it doesnt match your time frame. they will work you 15 hours a day and expect you to be ok with it..
Pros
Cons
15 hour days, and will change you from day to night shift without any notice
It's an okay place to work if you need a job
Production Operator II (Current Employee) –  Peru, ILJuly 9, 2018
Can be very stressful sometimes management isn't the greatest pay is okay and night shift is way better than days but training and other opportunities are hard to come by if you are just a regular operator really depends on who you know to move up on top of it a lot of people are quitting and in all areas of the plant.
Pros
Free lunch thursdays and taco truck mondays
Cons
Training and opportunities
Production of fiber cement board
Machine Operator, Forklift Operator/Production (Former Employee) –  Cleburne, TXJune 28, 2018
I have not worked at James Hardie for 11 years so it may not be the same. Roller operator job is nasty with lime water and pay at the time was $15/hour. It was ok for a younger man, but I saw little advancement to management opportunities.
Pros
Free lunch Fridays
No work/life balance, Lots of double standards, Production more important than anything else.
Machine operator (Current Employee) –  Pulaski, VAMay 23, 2018
terrible management, will work the guys into the ground without a care in the world, no work/life balance, production is their main goal not quality or safety, if you are good at your job you will not advance, short notice of schedule changes, used to be a lot better place to work now employees are nothing more than numbers.
Pros
free lunch friday
Cons
terrible management, mandatory overtime every week, stay short staffed, no opportunity for advancement if you are good at what you do, lots of double standards
Revolving Door
CONTRACT SOURCING RECRUITER (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 18, 2018
I had 3 bosses in half a year. As long as you know someone at the top you will get a high level job. You don't even have to know what you are doing!

Zero communication and CEO is just miserable, demeaning, and negative. Needs to retire.
Pros
Are there any?
Cons
Pay is low, but if you know someone at the top, you can get what you want
Bad business practices, horrible management.
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVMay 11, 2018
The James Hardie plant in Reno has undergone management restructuring every few months. Many people start there in upper management just to find that the cuture there is so bad, with the yelling and disrespectful AND DANGEROUS way they operate that they quickly move on. The turn over rate is very high throughout the plant. They are known to fire people who give 2 weeks notice, as well as fire employees weeks before large bonuses are to be paid out. The health and dental insurance was a pain to use. They reimburse you... The problems are systemic in Reno. As a whole the company seems okay, but at the location here that is not the case. This plant has a bad reputation even to the rest the James Hardie plants and corporate office. To be clear this location is actually addressed in the city of McCarren.
Pros
The lunch they offer is not good, usually the cheapest local place they can find.
Cons
Bad treatment from veteran employees, Passive aggressive meetings, Poor quality long time employees that are doing the minimum to keep the plant running.
No trust , No leadership
Former empoyee (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVApril 6, 2018
Managers have a revolving door, can't keep them more than 3 years. That is a warning sign. They train in Situational leadership but do NOT practice it. Production is valued over all else, yes including safety.
I would never recommend this company to a friend.
Pros
Free lunch, sometimes
Cons
Caustic work environment, Mangers disrespect employees
Manufacturing in Texas
Assistant Controller (Former Employee) –  TexasApril 2, 2018
James Hardie was the most competitive company I have seen.

Management turnover was high. In my time there all managers were turned over.

I would not recommend this company.
Pros
competitive benefits
Cons
Intense, high stress work environment.
Only few survive
Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 22, 2018
JH is a very aggressive company and is not for everyone. For those who make it and enjoy the culture it's still a very challenging work environment and you don't get to rest after your accomplishments. It's always what have you done for me today. Managers look for all the holes in your recommendations instead of appreciating new ideas. Very arrogant leaders at the top.
Pros
Great benefits and a growing company
Cons
Strong performance based culture
What's next company
Regional Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Gulf Breeze, FLMarch 15, 2018
Not a good fit for me and my family.
The management was good due to a very disciplined and knowledgeable Area Sales Manager. The culture is not for everyone.
benefits
Cons
Salesforce
Fast paced
S1 operator (Current Employee) –  Peru, ILMarch 8, 2018
Fast paced lots of favoritism other than that it’s a job not to bad of a place the management will sometimes rush you not allowing u to complete jobs properly
Pros
Free lunch thursday
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at James Hardie Building Products. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about