James Hardie Building Products Employee Reviews

10k specialist (Former Employee) –  Dublin, VAJuly 18, 2018
Enjoyed my position and my co workers , found the work experience helpful and the position challenging, it was a hard days work that you could feel good about after. I enjoyed the atmosphere and most management.
great job
Shipping and Receiving Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Pulaski, VAJuly 10, 2018
love the job great place to work the people at the job want to see you moving up in the company as long as u did your job and want to move up, it was alway work never seen them lay anyone off
Pros
free lunches
dont apply
Operator/Laborer (Former Employee) –  Peru, ILJuly 10, 2018
they will throw you on any shift whether you like it or not without any notice and give you a hard time if it doesnt match your time frame. they will work you 15 hours a day and expect you to be ok with it..
Pros
Cons
15 hour days, and will change you from day to night shift without any notice
Production of fiber cement board
Machine Operator, Forklift Operator/Production (Former Employee) –  Cleburne, TXJune 28, 2018
I have not worked at James Hardie for 11 years so it may not be the same. Roller operator job is nasty with lime water and pay at the time was $15/hour. It was ok for a younger man, but I saw little advancement to management opportunities.
Pros
Free lunch Fridays
No work/life balance, Lots of double standards, Production more important than anything else.
Machine operator (Current Employee) –  Pulaski, VAMay 23, 2018
terrible management, will work the guys into the ground without a care in the world, no work/life balance, production is their main goal not quality or safety, if you are good at your job you will not advance, short notice of schedule changes, used to be a lot better place to work now employees are nothing more than numbers.
Pros
free lunch friday
Cons
terrible management, mandatory overtime every week, stay short staffed, no opportunity for advancement if you are good at what you do, lots of double standards
Revolving Door
CONTRACT SOURCING RECRUITER (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 18, 2018
I had 3 bosses in half a year. As long as you know someone at the top you will get a high level job. You don't even have to know what you are doing!

Zero communication and CEO is just miserable, demeaning, and negative. Needs to retire.
Pros
Are there any?
Cons
Pay is low, but if you know someone at the top, you can get what you want
Bad business practices, horrible management.
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVMay 11, 2018
The James Hardie plant in Reno has undergone management restructuring every few months. Many people start there in upper management just to find that the cuture there is so bad, with the yelling and disrespectful AND DANGEROUS way they operate that they quickly move on. The turn over rate is very high throughout the plant. They are known to fire people who give 2 weeks notice, as well as fire employees weeks before large bonuses are to be paid out. The health and dental insurance was a pain to use. They reimburse you... The problems are systemic in Reno. As a whole the company seems okay, but at the location here that is not the case. This plant has a bad reputation even to the rest the James Hardie plants and corporate office. To be clear this location is actually addressed in the city of McCarren.
Pros
The lunch they offer is not good, usually the cheapest local place they can find.
Cons
Bad treatment from veteran employees, Passive aggressive meetings, Poor quality long time employees that are doing the minimum to keep the plant running.
No trust , No leadership
Former empoyee (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVApril 6, 2018
Managers have a revolving door, can't keep them more than 3 years. That is a warning sign. They train in Situational leadership but do NOT practice it. Production is valued over all else, yes including safety.
I would never recommend this company to a friend.
Pros
Free lunch, sometimes
Cons
Caustic work environment, Mangers disrespect employees
Manufacturing in Texas
Assistant Controller (Former Employee) –  TexasApril 2, 2018
James Hardie was the most competitive company I have seen.

Management turnover was high. In my time there all managers were turned over.

I would not recommend this company.
Pros
competitive benefits
Cons
Intense, high stress work environment.
Only few survive
Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 22, 2018
JH is a very aggressive company and is not for everyone. For those who make it and enjoy the culture it's still a very challenging work environment and you don't get to rest after your accomplishments. It's always what have you done for me today. Managers look for all the holes in your recommendations instead of appreciating new ideas. Very arrogant leaders at the top.
Pros
Great benefits and a growing company
Cons
Strong performance based culture
What's next company
Regional Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Gulf Breeze, FLMarch 15, 2018
Not a good fit for me and my family.
The management was good due to a very disciplined and knowledgeable Area Sales Manager. The culture is not for everyone.
benefits
Cons
Salesforce
Fast paced
S1 operator (Current Employee) –  Peru, ILMarch 8, 2018
Fast paced lots of favoritism other than that it’s a job not to bad of a place the management will sometimes rush you not allowing u to complete jobs properly
Pros
Free lunch thursday
Competitive Sales Environment with a Strong Company Culture
Market Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNMarch 2, 2018
This a fast-paced, competitive sales role. They hire those without any prior experience in the building products industry, like myself, and then give you the training you need in order to be successful. If you are a strong sales person in B2B sales, you would enjoy this role. I've really enjoyed my time working for a company that truly looks out for their people, and I would not be leaving if I did not have to relocate.
Cutthroat
BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 2, 2018
Cutthroat, performance based and fast paced. I enjoyed a lot of things about James Hardie but the go to market strategy was a little dated, very frat like.
Two stares
Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Peru, ILFebruary 21, 2018
Good place to work. With good people. Although the pay is horrible when compared to the work they have you do. Be prepared to get dirty. Management is not good
Pros
Good place to gain experience
Cons
Bad pay. No career advancement
Fast Paced work environment
James Hardie Install Inspector (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAFebruary 14, 2018
Learned a whole lot more about the building products industry than ever before. A real fast paced environment where I worked independently! Real good company culture with great benefits and I enjoyed the employees I worked with while at Hardie.
Pros
Company car and phone
Competitive workplace
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Peru, ILFebruary 8, 2018
I enjoyed working here and the people are great. The management helps out on the floor when needed and human resources is very helpful with personal info.
Pros
Free lunch thursday
great place to work
Generalist Operator (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVFebruary 6, 2018
James Hardie was hands down my favorite place to work! rotating shifts, decent wage, great benefits. James Hardie is also huge on safety and team work! If the opportunity presented itself to me, id work there again in a heart beat!
Very productive and face paced work environment, safe work was practiced daily
Machine Operator, Process support Tech (Former Employee) –  Pulaski, VAFebruary 2, 2018
James hardie was a great place to work, the pay was well and benefits were great. It was face paced and had safety as a top priority. You had oppurtunity to advance as long as you were whilling to work hard.
Pros
Free lunch friday, free crew outing yearly
Cons
Swing shift
Okay, if you were part of the "good ole boys" club
Office Personnel (Former Employee) –  Plant City, FLFebruary 2, 2018
Right hand does not know what the left hand is doing. Management spends all day in meetings and never seem to accomplish anything from the previous 47 meetings that week. AND BE PREPARED TO BE LIED TO!
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Pretty much everything else, HR department is a JOKE