James J. Peters VA Medical Center Employee Reviews

Success Depends on Department
Employee (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYJune 12, 2019
Many of the clinics are good and work well, providing good care for the veterans, but parts of the administration and other areas of the hospital are not up to that same standard. Several people in departments such as Education, Administration, etc. exhibit a culture of complacency and often times, stupidity. Specifically, the HR department at this company is rather incompetent. As I looked to advance my career, they were an embarrassment and improperly posted several job positions, forcing me to go elsewhere.
Just a place to work
UTILITY SYSTEMS OPERATOR (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYMay 27, 2019
Working for the VA was more of a security blanket. Most jobs in the VA system are underpaid. They appoint unqualified personnel in management positions who treat the employees in an unfair manner. The management sucks from the top to the bottow. I was forced to resign because management would not do the right thing.
Pros
It's a job with benefits.
Cons
Management staff is no good
Excellent Hospital For Vets
Social Work Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 12, 2019
Many programs/services available for vets, organized management, helpful coworkers, great learning experience. Most enjoyable part of the job in interacting with clients and their families.
Challenging place to work due to significant bureaucracy and imposition of military culture on civilian workforce.
Clincial Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYMarch 21, 2019
Most rewarding experience was the opportunity to work with Veterans. Management at this site was poor and unsupportive, mitigated only by fellow co-workers who provided peer support when necessary.
Good Experience
Medical Records Technician/ ROI Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 23, 2019
Good place to work, I am happy that I got the chance. There is a lot of room for advancement and there is a mixed diversity in the Bronx VA. Good Experience.
Great Organization
RN Care Manager (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYDecember 26, 2018
Productive environment, job security, Medical benefits are a bit expensive. Workers are treated with dignity and respect. Overall a Great Organization.
management
Management Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYDecember 19, 2018
intense and stressful
but fulfilling job
caring for veterans is a great honor
Workplace culture differs across the hospital.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the feedback you get for a job well done from the veterans.
Pros
caring for the veteran population
Cons
stressful work
Volunteer Medical Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYNovember 27, 2018
It was a great opportunity to get the hands on experience I needed to gain clerical skills. I worked in a professional environment. I enjoyed volunteering at this hospital.
Productive workplace
Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NY 10468October 5, 2018
The most enjoyable moments are when you are able to assist a Veteran in need of help. Also, being able to listen to their experience is a plus. They also give great advise.
N/a
Registered Nurse II (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYAugust 22, 2018
Rewarding to serve the men and women who have served our Country. I am well respected by my patients,some of which I have been caring for twenty plus years.
Pros
gym at worksite
Cons
Limited parking
Very productive environment
Volunteer/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYAugust 1, 2018
The Bronx, VA is very productive and professional. The Bronx, VA is a great place to get the hands on experience for a job. I am currently volunteering.

I enjoy the department I am working with. I enjoy helping out with veteran patients. I would recommend this to everyone. I am thankful for the opportunity.
A great place to start for veterans that are getting out
Program Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYMay 15, 2018
To be able to succeed in that type of environment, you must love people. I would recommend the job to veterans and civilians that are thinking to work with veterans.
decent place to work
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYMay 7, 2018
stocking, cleaning, picking up blood sample and dropping off it to doctors office. Also picking up the phone and answering questions. Learn how to deal with different type people.
Surgical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYApril 23, 2018
Working for James J. Peters Veterans Affairs Medical Center was a very rewarding experience. I was able to give back to the veterans as a veterans with in the system.
productive
Patient Transporter (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 26, 2018
very productive place to work at with lots of good energy from the staff members .it was a great internship that taught me alot of life lessons. overall great place
It depends on the Department and your Management
Accounting Technician (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYMarch 16, 2018
Has the potential to be an excellent work environment, however, that is highly dependent on the management team you work with. Learn to go on interview with the idea that you will also be interviewing the company you are interviewing with. Its in your best interest.
great
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 23, 2018
great place to work, very kind the people I work with. Lots of opportunity for advancement. They really encourage education and offer scholarships to those who qualify.
Pros
management works with you
Cons
no free food
fun and interesting work eviornment
Stock Worker (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYSeptember 20, 2017
Working in that retail store it made me realize how many people actually liked what they did in the service and everytime i asked them ''would you do it all over again they always said ''yes in a heart beat''.
Pros
long lunces, paid lunches
Cons
lot of boxes and people in a small work place
Great Experience
Senior Student-Nurse (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYSeptember 3, 2017
Very professional staff. Team players. I learned valuable interpersonal as well as professional skills. I met understanding and compassion from all nurses I worked with as well as the management.
awesome experience
Occupational Therapy Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJuly 26, 2017
It was an amazing experience. I learned how much I enjoy working with hospice and palliative care patients. It was a very rewarding job despite the sadness accompanying it.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at James J. Peters VA Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

James J. Peters VA Medical Center Reviews by Location