James Madison University Pay & Benefits reviews

A good place to work
Vehicle Service Attendant II (Former Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAMay 24, 2019
I enjoyed the time I had at James Madison University,we had a great team and we worked well together in fact I still have contact with everyone I worked with.during the school year we were always busy
Pros
Good holiday breaks
Cons
I never got a pay raise because of stae budgets
James Madison University
ASSISTANT DIRECTOR OF STRENGTH AND CONDTIONING (Current Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAMay 23, 2019
I worked in athletics. There were long days but I really enjoyed my time working there. Great benefits and awesome co-workers. I would highly recommend James Madison University.
Excellent and fun place to work.
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAApril 9, 2019
I had a lot of fun being a TA for JMU, I learned a lot in my three times of being a TA. I can say being a TA is a lot of fun, and good experience. It was a blast to work in the ISAT department and to help the teachers out every day.
Fun work environment
Resident Advisor (Former Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAMarch 31, 2019
Engaging with your peers was alot of fun when being a residential adviser. There were no bad memories from this job. Everything was great. I learned how to create programs during this time.
Pros
student living
Cons
no direct benefits
Loved working here
DATA ENTRY (Former Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAMarch 13, 2019
James Madison University is an amazing place to work. I started in a seasonal position in the Admissions office and everyone I worked with was warm and welcoming. They are very understanding and provide many benefits for you. Everyone you meet has a smile on their face and loves their job!
Don’t do it!!
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAFebruary 21, 2019
I left a good paying job to go to JMU because people kept saying how great it was. Boyyyyyy was it the worst mistake I’ve made in my working career. The pay is so low you can’t make ends meet. The health insurance is ok but when you have a doctor bill to pay how can you when you don’t make that much money anyway. I am looking for a better paying job as I write this. JMU pays you nothing but your job responsibilities are endless!!! No thanks!!!!
Not a very good work environment
Trades Technician III (Current Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAJanuary 13, 2019
No room for advancement of your career unless you can move from one department or the other. Very seldom do you get raises and nothing for getting certifications.
Pros
Hours and benefits
Cons
Pay, alot of unwanted overtime, micro managed
Underpaid but not overly demanding either
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAJanuary 9, 2019
Obviously that'll vary heavily by teacher. I'm sure some will work you to the bone for that $8/hour, but most will not. Some weeks are relaxed, some are stressful - again depends on the teacher, and also on what's currently going on in the course and your life.
Workplace Culture
Recreation Assistant (Current Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VANovember 29, 2018
Although the benefits pay-wise are non-existing, there are many ways you can move up the chain and meet motivated, like-minded individuals. I loved working there because I was able to make connections with others on a business professional level. I will be applying for manager this upcoming semester so I can start building my experience more as it fits right into my major as Business Management.
Pros
Teamwork is present and working with motivated individuals
Cons
Low pay
Really good experience with the team
Visiting Scholar (Former Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VANovember 1, 2018
Really good experience with the team and quite relaxing working environment. relatively fair working environment depending on your boss. benefit packages are generally better than most companies. Many activities are organized by labor union throughout the year.
Great environment
Physics Tutor (Former Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VASeptember 12, 2018
Loved the people I worked with, and they would always work with you to setup your hours. I was a student at the time so I could not take on more hours and become anything other than a part-time employee, and as such did not have access to any benefits. There also was not much room for advancement as a student, which is to be expected really.
Best Part Time job ever!
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VASeptember 7, 2018
I had an excellent trainer.

I was encouraged to take breaks and balance work with a good mental awareness.

My supervisor would recommend classes, some to promote my job, again some for my own personal benefit.

I was very sorry to leave JMU this is a great group of people, very positive and happy to be at work each day.
Pros
Flexible schedule, lots of training opportunities, great environment
Cons
many benefits for FT employees!
Exciting and growing experience with collaborative athletic department
Senior Associate Strength and Conditioning Coach (Former Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAJuly 28, 2018
Enjoyable experience at JMU that offered a full range of benefits to being an employee. Not just there to do a job, but rather to be part of a culture and collaborate with the university and its employees.
Lots of job opportunities for JMU students
Microbiology Lab Prep Assistant (Former Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAJune 8, 2018
I was glad to have worked as a lab prep assistant at the university. Though the pay was low, I've gained lots of new skills working in the lab and enjoyed showing up at the Bioscience Building. The hours were really flexible (just show up whenever you're available) and the amount of assignments weren't as heavy, so I have little stress to worry about with work interfering with my studies.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Small pay
a university that does not hire many full-time workers
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAMay 10, 2018
JMU can hire part-time so they do no have to pay benefits and the pay is not very good as many universities do the same.
The people I met are very nice and the work was sometimes interesting but not at all consistent. You do not know when the job will end often times or what department may be available to move to.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
No benefits and hire mostly temp workers
I have gained a lot of knowledge working at a company like James Madison University Recreation Center
Fitness Assistant (Former Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAMay 7, 2018
This job is for students who want to work on campus and want a little extra spending money then they already have. It was an extremely easy job, I was a fitness assistant and I would make sure participants who entered the gym had everything they needed to perform exercises.
Pros
Working with peers and other students
Cons
Wasn't paid well and not enough hours
Exciting place to work
Accounts Payable Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAMay 3, 2018
Great place for secure job and great benefits because of it being a state agency. Pay is not good for the lower positions, but great for upper management and professors. The staff providing all the support are overlooked.
Friendly Work Environment
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAApril 23, 2018
I love working at JMU. The staff is friendly and the culture is wonderful. You will probably never get rich working at JMU (especially part-time), but I've enjoyed my time so far.
Pros
flexible work schedule, friendly co-workers
Cons
few benefits
Pretty good deal
Resident Advisor (Former Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAMarch 30, 2018
Very convenient location as it is on-campus. Poor organisation as the pay just barely covers housing, but a meal plan is required which itself costs quite a bit more than buying food normally - although they may be changing this.
Pros
Cons
Meal plan
Resident Advisor
Resident Advisor (Former Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAMarch 20, 2018
Being an RA at JMU was a fun experience. The school doesn't offer the same benefits as other universities, and in comparision, RA's at JMU are asked to do a lot and to document everything. It was a good experience, and I would recommend it to full-time student who are eligible to work at it.
Pros
Live where you work
Cons
Live where you work