James River Insurance Company Employee Reviews

Welcome to Pound Town
Claims Examiner (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZNovember 7, 2018
Get ready to be slammed with claims and the worst upper managment around they literally slither around the floor looking for ppl to fire or put cases on. The workload is awful and the expectations are absurd come join the club be ready to grab your ankles and bring some lube
Pros
In scottsdale
Cons
Everything else
Unorganized
Claims Examiner (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 6, 2018
James River is not a well executed company. There is little planning and most things are decided on a last minute basis. They have great benefits and compensation but managers are lacking.
Needs better management
Scottsdale - Claims Examiner (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZOctober 21, 2018
Poorly organized and managed. Workload is heavy, understaffed. Some managers are great but a lot of them lack management skills and organizational skills.
Great place
Claims Examiner (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 30, 2018
great place to work at. its easy to learn how to handle claims especially if youre hired with no previous experience. its a great culture environment.
Good Company but they need a better plan to deal with a fast growing business
Senior Help Desk Analyst (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 25, 2018
The culture is good, benefits are good, the environment is clean, HR is fantastic but the IT dept is always behind playing catch up. Overall the company is growing too fast for the management personnel who are presently working. They may need to hire people with bigger company experience.
Pros
Great environment and a bunch of company goal celebrations
Cons
Growing too fast for management to keep up. Execs are Gods and the workers are minions.
Unethical Claims Department
Claims Examiner (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 22, 2018
Just don't do it. Mid-level management is great. Upper management is horrible. They do not care about you. They have unethical business practices in the evaluation process of the claims and information management. 70% of the workforce is currently attempting to leave.
Would not recommend
Bodily Injury Examiner (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 10, 2018
Worked over time every single night. Had to bring work home and worked on weekends. Work life balance does not exit. Management sets unreasonable expectations that cannot be met.
Assistant Manager
Claims Technician Manager (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZAugust 29, 2018
The job was easy, extremely fun and laid back. Not like your typical company. This company always focus on training and employee development. I am glad I was apart of an amazing team.
Pros
1 lunch
Cons
no cons
Micromanaged
Claims Examiner (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 26, 2018
If you don't mind having every decision you make be questioned, unskilled managers and a heavy workload this is the job for you. Initial training is almost non-existent. The system used to input claim information can be described as poor at best. Multiple systems must be accessed to work a single claim. Multiple claims set up with different claim numbers for the same claim, for instance one claim for liability, another for collision, etc etc etc. Overall I definitely would not recommend this company.
Pros
Great employees
Cons
Expectations
Purgatory
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 24, 2018
Horrible place to work, you will regret it. Claims department is a mess, run don't walk from this dump. Ask about the turnover in your interview. One h

Want to know more about James River Insurance Company?

Ask a question
Loved this enviroment
Claims Examiner (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 8, 2018
I count myself as being 'lucky' to have worked for this company. I always felt supported & that I had a direct line to management if I ever had a question, which was often.
Pros
Great Culture
Cons
Career felt idle if you weren't handling claims
Over worked, over scrunized, and under paid
Claims Examiner - Bodily Injury (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 3, 2018
The company did a poor job at forcasting for future claim volume resulting in improper staffing causing high expectations for an unrealistic workload.
Benefits
Cons
Everything else
Good Place to Work
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 3, 2018
Good place to work - mostly relaxed environment. Most people there are helpful and management is cooperative for the most part. CEO is personable and approachable. Benefits are excellent - just make sure to negotiate fair salary. Otherwise, I miss working here.
Pros
Great Benefits, Company makes efforts to be collaborative, Great modern systems
Cons
Pay could be better so negotiate with HR
Management has a preference on who they want to train or not
Desktop Support Analyst-Contracted (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 23, 2018
Management /some team members was willing to train you. CIO was prejudice. This company is force to promote in order to promote the person beneath or below your position. Mgrs kiss the tail of the CIO in order to make them happy. They will throw you under the bus a lot. and they pick who they want to further the career of.
You cant trust 5 star reviews, nothing is perfect
Senior Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 5, 2018
As a former employee i do not recommend this company to any persons hoping to grow their career in a positive direction. As stated in previous review your growth, the resources you obtain do do your job and opportunities you receive are solely based on the discretion of management, not by how you do your job but how politically beneficial you are to him or her. Meritocracy does not exist. Upper and lower management reap the benefits of employee efforts. Public temper tantrums are welcome. Senior management are not engaged or even sometimes physically remove themselves from subordinate access . if you do not socially conform over time you be will subjected to public ridicule,micromanagement, sabotage, ostracizing behavior,and condescending attitudes despite having or possessing professional accreditations.
Pros
There's still a lot of good people
Cons
But evil persists when good people do nothing
Fast paced environment and great way to learn and advance your career
Claims Associate (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZFebruary 24, 2018
I worked a Monday thru Friday workweek. WIth the amount of claims coming in with holidays I would work a typical 10+ hour day so I could stay on top of my claims.

I would get my desk set up in a manner that would flow and I could tackle my file's in an orderly fashion.

If any issues would arise I would be able to consult with my manager, assistant manager and senior agents.

James River was a great place for me to get back into the field I loved and it was a pleasure working there
Pros
Great environment, fun and supportive management
Cons
The overall environment and culture needs work.
Bodily Injury Claims Examiner-Litigation (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 14, 2017
No review to provide at this time. I am neither here or there and therefore, cannot provide a detailed review. If you would like to be under management that's mature, knowledgeable and efficient, then this is not the place for you.
Great place with great opportunity
Examiner (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 8, 2017
I can't say enough good things about the company. You truly get out what you put in. Fast paced environment with a lot of opportunity for those willing to work hard. Culture is great.
Great culture, workload is really overloaded
Claims Associate (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 24, 2017
The work is hard, and there are very, very few other opportunities for advancement, unless you are interested in being a claim examiner the entire time. The job for Managers and Assistant Managers is even crazier. That being said, the Management team is top-notch. I would recommend James River Insurance, but you have to know that you are going to be run ragged by the work flow.
Pros
Company Culture
Cons
Workload
Good Place That Will Get Better
Claims Examiner (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 6, 2017
This is a great place to get in the door, if you can survive the workload. The ride-sharing account is the account that takes the most people and they are constantly struggling to keep up with demand. Some Examiners are juggling 200-250 claims and there aren't enough hours in the day to get everything done. Once the account plateaus and hiring catches up it will be better. Some training has been great and some has been very underdone, it just depends on who you get. Management doesn't have a whole lot of sympathy for 'overworked' complaints and will either tell you "we were busier way back when", or tell you to work more hours/days (Examiners are exempt from overtime). It's a good, steady 9-5 that has some pretty good job security and great pay. If you don't stress easily.
Pros
Plenty of incentive programs and activities
Cons
Extremely heavy workload