Jawonio Employee Reviews

Very productive team
Billing Clerk (Former Employee) –  New City, NYApril 11, 2019
This non profit organization is a great place to work. Strong team oriented and mission driven. Which makes work not seem so much like work. Management are great at Jawonio.
Great kids but the pay is not the greatest
Special Education Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  New City, NYDecember 7, 2018
I love working here and the kids are amazing. I do find myself considering other jobs though due to the pay not being that great. We have some of the best therapists you can find though, especially for speech.
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  New York StateNovember 30, 2018
Management refuses to let you work from home unless inclement weather. However, it is still not guaranteed. Opportunities to be promoted are available if you know someone.
It really depends on your department.
Employment Counselor (Former Employee) –  New Hempstead, NYOctober 26, 2018
This is a very good employer. (Reminder) It's a non-profit organization so don't expect to get paid as if you're a hedge fund manager or something. The culture is good but again, that all depends on your department, Jawonio is also a fairly large Agency for it's location, (1,100+ Employees) so there are many departments but this is an overall excellent employer for people who aren't lazy.
Pros
Flexibility (work/Life Balance), Good atmosphere, Good people There
Cons
Low Pay, outdated technology (but that's changing)
Jawanio
receptionist, answered telephones dsp (Former Employee) –  Palisades, NYOctober 23, 2018
Dr. appointments for the residence shopping, g tube feeding, It could be better,
more staffing at the residence, unconditional love of the residence.
Pros
residence unconditional love
Cons
not enough staff per resident ratio lack of manangement
Avoid At All Costs
Care Manager (Former Employee) –  New City, NYOctober 22, 2018
Working with the consumers is the best part of this job. They are incredible. However, the office issues, day to day staff in administration and pay are severely lacking. Staff is often rude, condescending, and pick fights. They target and alienate specific people. The management is either patronizing and gives a false sense of empathy, or is absolutely unprofessional and has no regards for a work ethic. Most people are unavailable by phone, and can not be reached unless met with face to face. Lots of programs have been run to the ground, and are now backtracking to ensure all Medicaid and OMH/OPWDD legal standards are being met so as not to be fined or shut down. Half medical charts/records kept are unfinished or missing important data. The supervisors lie about raising pay to saddle you with more responsibility, The pay is absolutely horrendous. Not worth it. The office staff is unreliable, unprofessional, and nasty. Avoid working here, gain experience elsewhere.
Pros
No one monitors your schedule so most employees in programs come and go as they please
Cons
Nothing gets done, staff is overwhelmed and unreliable, employees are unprofessional and nasty (a very high school type of attitude)
wonderful development programs
On Site Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 22, 2018
They offered a great program for people with disabilities. The coaches where very helpful and hands on with supervising the staff. The coaches helped you understand each staff members needs.
Pros
excellent medical plan
Cons
Locations far apart
Flexible place to work
Program Director of MSC/Care Coordination (Current Employee) –  New City, NYSeptember 5, 2018
A place of great opportunities and endless possibilities . Whether you want to start new or move up the ladder Jawonio will offer you the setting compatible to your growth and goals. Flexible hours and work schedule specifically for young parents in search of a certain type balance .
Very busy, fast-paced, rewarding
Administrative Assistant of Education Services (Current Employee) –  New City, NYJune 5, 2018
Enjoy interacting with the families & helping them through the process & transitions they encounter. It's rewarding to see progress in their children!

I have learned so much about disabilities of both children and adults.
Pros
Paid Time Off, Work Schedule, Diversity
Cons
Work load
Good Place
One-to-One Aide (Former Employee) –  New City, NYJune 4, 2018
Jaronio is a great place to start if you are just starting your career in mental health. The pay can be better but the experience makes it worth while.
2 very different positions
Document Imaging Clerk (Former Employee) –  New City, NYMarch 24, 2018
As a micrographics camera operator and document imaging clerk, I worked more hours although only p/t. The job was pleasant and the environment was with friendly coworkers. I enjoyed working there for 11 years. After budget cuts, my job was discontinued and I was able to find a program aide position on weekends. In my current Jawonio job, I assist the counselors and help out in the computer room.
Pros
friendly environment with supportive coworkers
Cons
insufficient hours
Great place to work !!!
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Current Employee) –  Rockland County, NYFebruary 12, 2018
There are a lot of companies that work with people with disabilities in our area, I worked at a few of them - you always need Two jobs because - the pay stinks at all of them - at least Jawonio is part of trying to change that. The DSPs go to Albany and meet with our senators and are part of rallies.
This is a hard job with bad pay, but we continue to do it because we love our consumers - at least here we are respected and are asked to be part of the solution.
Pros
Important job
Cons
Pay
Thanksgiving luncheon
Supervisor of Day Services (Current Employee) –  Nyack, NYJanuary 17, 2018
All the programs get together for the day and share food with one another. Everyone talks with one another, socializing and sharing food. It is a nice time to spend quality time with one another and share the love.

The hardest part is one when a participant doesn't want to eat anything, because they can make their own decision. We all care and want the best for everyone and encourage everyone to eat together. No one is forced, so we serve their food and save it one the side or find something else for them to eat.

The most enjoyable is part is when everyone is being silly, sharing stories, jokes, smiles, things they like/dislike and dreams. It is nice.
Pros
Togetherness with staff
Cons
Inconsistent recognition for staff
care
Assistant Teacher (Current Employee) –  New City, NYJanuary 10, 2018
you must really love your job working with special needs children. the work environment is a good one. but its a place where you need to give your full attention to the children.
Pros
social environment
Cons
pay
it wa an alright job
Resident Aide (Former Employee) –  New City, NYDecember 5, 2017
the job was very stressful and staff didn't get paid enough for the type of job we did we basically risked our well being working and didn't get a thank you or anything we didn't get raises of paid vacations
Great place to work.
Co-Occurring Recovery Specialist - PROS Program (Current Employee) –  New City, NYNovember 17, 2017
This place is a place of great understanding, flexibility, and wisdom. I really enjoy working here. I have a modest boss with reasonable expectations of his staff who regardless of how outstanding his achievements might bedelegates those accolades to his staff. He offers collaborative efforts with minimal micromanagement which makes me believes that he trusts our clinical decisions and that we don't need to check in with him every second of the day. He's diplomatic in his administration of policies and procedures and is always open to suggestions and changes. He knows that deliverables are necessary to direct a program but he does not make that his sole priority.

The work day here can be unpredictable at times but my colleagues are incredibly supportive of one another which can make a difficult day that much more tolerable. I would suggest that the ideal candidate to work in the program would be someone who is self-starting, quick to catch on, and can work independently. Although not being micromanaged is positive, it's very easy to end up with a high workload if a person doesn't reach out on their own for support/assistance. I was also able to access clinical supervision while accruing hours for my clinical license.

My experience with our HR department has been nothing but favorable. They are kind and patient people who have personally helped me through an individual issue I was having earlier this year.
Pros
Flexibility, time off, insurance/benefits
Cons
Low to moderate pay, benefits can get costly, low retirement compensation
Amazing work environment
Teachers Aide (Former Employee) –  New City, NYNovember 8, 2017
Jawonio is an amazing program ran by amazing people. The teachers, aides, and supervisors all worked together in order to help the children have a fun and productive summer. The students learned and grew so much every year. I could not ask for a better place to work.
Relaxed environment
Human Resources Compliance Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New City, NYOctober 13, 2017
I enjoy working here at Jawonio! Pay could be more, but it is non-profit so I understand. The most enjoyable part of the rob to me is that I am able to help someone.
Jawonio
Employment Counselor (Former Employee) –  Yonkers, NYAugust 31, 2017
I enjoyed working at Jawonio. The boss and the co-workers always worked as a team. The individual's was a blessing to work with. I truly did enjoy Jawonio paid for a parking spot to park my car.
Pros
excellent benegit
productive
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Current Employee) –  New City, NYAugust 30, 2017
great place and great opportunity friendly environment one on one with individual
●Assisting​ ​people​ ​with​ ​developmental​ ​disabilities
●Assisting​ ​with​ ​activities​ ​of​ ​daily​ ​living

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Jawonio. Our community is ready to answer.