JBG SMITH Employee Reviews

Don't work here if you value yourself or your time...
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  DC AreaDecember 23, 2013
Not a good company to work for if you are looking for career growth or stability. Corporate/upper management is definitely not concerned about their employees' safety, career path or well being.

One would expect to feel some level of safety while they are working but this company won't even spend money on having security guards to at least monitor properties where there is a lot of criminal activity, such as break-in's to cars in the parking lots and apartments. Plus, they expect you to work alone in leasing offices ON THE WEEKENDS that are open to the public and expect great results. Not only is this bad for business because only one person is in the office, but it overextends employees, which leads to a loss of retaining good employees.

The best part is, once you start to get used to how ridiculously hectic and disorganized working at this company is, they send you to another property that is even busier and you have to do all the work because they don't want to train the incompetent employees that are already in the office.

Would not recommend this company TO ANYONE!!! Look elsewhere!!!
N/a
Sr. Property Manager (Current Employee) –  BeltsvilleDecember 19, 2013
An innovative, company that promotes career growth from within.
Pros
Promotion from within.
Cons
The culture has declined somewhat. Need creative ways to reconnect associates accross the portfolio.
All around great upper management
Maintenance Manager (Former Employee) –  Beltsville, MDOctober 6, 2013
Demanding but rewarding, Grace hill classes were a big help.Management gave you everything you needed to succeed. Most co-workers were easy to get along with.The commute was difficult at times and I enjoyed company meeting when we found out how our particular properties were doing.
Pros
Good company
daily work
Senior Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Beltsville, MDSeptember 22, 2013
Came in to assist resident finding housing, maint requests, posting rental payments and day to day customer service.
Pros
enjoyed my job
Cons
issues with late rent
great company
Community Manager (Former Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDSeptember 3, 2013
wonderful support, great values, JBG is very good to their employees
Pros
wonderful benefit package
Cons
job security
Conservative environment
Senior Systems Administrator (Former Employee) –  Chevy Chase, MDJune 13, 2013
Daily review of backups and worked on any issues, checked on all servers for any issues, maintained phone system and resolved issues at any of the sites, trained helpdesk and users on areas they needed assistance with. Direct contact for outside vendors who were on call to help maintain systems. Consistently worked on providing and encouraging communication among technical staff, outside vendors, and user community.
I learned more in depth skills with regards to our Cisco environment including CUCM, Unity connection, Presence and Meeting Place Express.
Worked on managing projects and seeing them thru their lifespan.
Difficult to get technical staff to communicate issues or ideas or changes that each individual would be working on.
Enjoyed learning about cisco technology and working with the legal team on requests they needed for eDiscovery and being a liason to outside counsel.
Pros
Breakfast and drinks always provided, holiday celebrations, gifts at the holidays
Cons
Not being compensated for working overtime, frequent discovery of new communication methods with managers
very quiet not alot of comraderie amongst co-workers
Tenant Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAMarch 18, 2013
The JBG Companies overall is a very good company and well respected; however being in the field the atmosphere was different and the office I was in was not a team environment; no comraderie amongst co-workers.
Always something different everyday
Commercial Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 6, 2012
Budget preparation, invoicing, Contracts, billing, etc...

Property Management is what I learned.

Management was ok, Worked mostly by myself and Supervisor ok work done by myself.

No other co-workers....
Understanding how to apply funding to the budget.

Writing up contracts was very fun.
Pros
no one lookking over my shoulder
Cons
moving to different locations
Fot the most part I had a pleasant time working with the people.
Maintenance Technician ll / Turnover Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDAugust 24, 2012
Get tickets gather supplies. and corrected problems. Plumbing issues, appliances and some electrical problems. Make ready apartments for moves.
How to organize move -out and move -in procedures with contractors
Painting, cleaning and schedule maintenance and carpet installation.
Management was very disciplined and organized
Most of my co-workers were easy to get along with and we shared
ideas.
The hardest part of the job was bringing some of the heavier equipment long distances across the property.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the monthly lunches. We could exchange ideas with each other and find new ways to solve problems.
Fun company
Leasing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Chevy Chase, MDAugust 23, 2012
Great company to work.

Gained good knowledge on what to look for when renting.
Pros
great place to meet and network with people.
Cons
need to be a high producer.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at JBG SMITH. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.7InHerSight Score

3.4Personal Development

4.3Career Opportunities

3.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight