JCPenney
Here to help
Coronavirus update
Information from JCPenney:

JCPenney Employee Reviews

You’re seeing reviews close to Ashburn, VA based on your current location
Not your desired location?
Choose a different one
Ashburn, VA138 reviews
I was as a cashier. I would like talk and help people and have a conversation with them. I am a social person and happy in my life.

I had fun with my coworkers. I tried to do well my job as much as I could.
Working at JCPenney is good. You can let the managers know the days and hours you are available to work. They work along your time. If you need to someone to work for you on a particular day, they will agree.
Pros
Some times free lunches, especially on holidays, and long hours.
Cons
Some coupons are restricted to customers only.
If you’re a Hairstylist, looking for benefits and a work place that encourages growth, Penney’s is a great place to work. Now, you have to be motivated and look to strong mentoring stylist and managers to guide you, as with our industry, mentors are key to success!
The company is great. The employees are great. Retail salaries could be improved upon but that is an industry problem. It is a great company to work for.
I have been working for JCPenney for two years, and they have never prioritized employee benefits — especially since they have been cutting hours with no pay. Despite cutting hours, employees still have to work everyday of the week. Also, there is a lack of promotions within the company for long-time employees.
Would you rate your company five stars?
Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.
My responsibilities were to ensure my direct rapport was equipped to deliver sales, profits, engage associates and provided exceptional customer experience on a daily basis.
This is a good company to work for. Patience and kindness are obvious in this environment. Unfortunately, the store I was in closed up for real estate reasons.
* Customer service is a main priority in sales.
* Attend to customers in a timely manner.

* Managed a team of 8-12 people.

* Open and close the store as needed.
I enjoyed working with a diversity of people. I will recommend this company for students who want to work part time. I got to learn to work with on line customers.
The culture at JCPenney has definitely changed over the past years. The restructuring has meant that they gave you more work with the less pay. Just never really enough time to finish a task at the time that I was there for such a big store. And we're never able sparkly staff the store. The associates and management staff work very hard to satisfy the customers needs. ,needsit'neveseem to be enough
They need better management and more pay raises. The employees were very friendly like family. The management needs more work as far as keeping a solid manager.
Its a very fun place to work but the pay and hours isn't that good. The store it self is was to big and its not that fun to work at to many bad customers.
Work like balance is already a struggle in retail industry. They did the best they could with respecting that, however, it is the balance of workload and available resources is what made the job harder on the manager and the general employees.
It was messy almost all the time, so most day we had to recover, recover, recover. And if I'm not working 6 hour shifts, I'm working working 8 hour shifts for 5 days straight, overtime sometimes. I would be exhausted, to the point where I began to start having mini seizures during work without my knowledge due to stress and exhaustion. The toll was one of my coworkers (who was not my higher ups) kept harassing me and telling me how to do my job, even though I've worked there longer. Horrible, will never work there again.
Held many positions in my years at JCP. The people that worked in each store that I worked in were the difference makers for me. Management was always consistent, making it easier to understand and do my job
Pros
The people i had the opportunity to work with
Cons
I have worked in the Dulles location for about 3 years now. There has been little advancement for my position, and what advancement that had been made was pushed back due to the cutting of the Appliance Sales. I make a semi decent 10.47 an hour, for part time, but it's not enough. There's also no full time advancement from part time, even after working for the company for such a long time. That and JCP doesn't offer full time of 40 hours a week, either. Full time to them is 32 hours per week. Part time is in the ballpark of 15 to 20. The Employee discount is hardly worth the price you pay for the product you receive, and we don't sell the best products to begin with, not to mention sizes are so difficult to find that you'd have better luck finding a needle in a haystack.

Now, the only good thing about working at JCP is that you are treated like family from the management's perspective. We are all brothers and sisters that work together to achieve goals for the store.

However, that doesn't mean that the team members you work with are just as accommodating. There are nice people, and then there's the people you really wish would just disappear off the face of the planet. You get that everywhere you work, but here it's a bit different due to the fact that JCP tends to hire younger help more often than someone who is in their 40s or so.

All in all, I would pass working here on the account of not enough pay for hours worked, and team members not being a good fit for the team.
Pros
treated like family
Cons
breaks are too short, no benefits for part time employees, not paid enough, team members are a bit of a pain to work with
Cant tell much. Good store but very many hateful people. They focus on negatives instead of positive things. It is a very clean store and loved by the community.
Cons
Typical day at work you would look at your emails and see if there are any pirorities and get them done then do you list of things. The culture is great. The hardest part of the job is dealing with a mean customer.
A great team of dedicated individuals driven to succeed. We worked hard and respected each other.
Learned to organize, prioritize and reassess as necessary.

Management was exceptional.

The workplace was competitive and vital. Respect was apparent between associates and myself.

Working with fewer employees and more demands.

Working with great people.
Management is strong. The company has a call center that supports all related work issues. A typical day at work is driving to customers home, interview them through a decision related to their needs. Then offer products according to customers style and budget.
Working at JCP was the worst decision ever made, I was constantly working hard and over looked for a position that I was qualified for. After I stepped down from my Lead position, I was still doing management assignments that I could not get away from. And also the constant change of my schedules without any knowledge to me.
7.1K
InHerSight Score
2.2Personal Development
3.5Career Opportunities
2.5Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight