JCPenney Employee Reviews

Found 18,157 reviews matching the search See all 18,217 reviews
Co-workers are wonder and pleasant to work with
Salon by instyle inside JCPenney (Current Employee) –  Lombard, ILSeptember 25, 2018
It would be a great job if the walkin traffic were there and they didn't have a manager that has "favorites" and helps them grow.. also too focused on the retail portion of the business..
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Not enough clientele
Trust me, you don't want to sell appliances for JCPenney.
Appliance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 25, 2018
PROS:

• Good discount

• Co-workers are friendly

• Decent prices (most of the time)

• Decent product selection (when available)

CONS:

• JCPenney just switched to a hilariously low 1% commission for appliances, dropping base pay by as much as $4/hr. in the process. JCPenney wants (and refuse to hire anything but) good, experienced appliance salespeople, but only wants to pay them $10.75 an hour—well under the competition (even with commission).

• Leaders will regularly try to pull you outside of your department—even after the switch to commission. Despite assurance from management that this would no longer continue to happen after the switch.

• You will be expected to perform a large number of duties that don't fall under your job description, but won't be compensated as such.

• You will regularly be asked to move, install, or put out appliances, despite not being provided proper safety equipment or safe conditions to do so. You will be expected to do this while helping customers.

• Scheduling is atrociously bad—team members are often forced to sort it out amongst themselves when a team member is scheduled outside their availability, despite it being input correctly in the system (and despite repeated attempts to make management aware of the issue.)

• JCPenney will hire anyone and everyone (except in specialty, where they are extremely picky.) Many leaders are not qualified for their roles and it shows. Many associates are high school kids that frequently don't show up for work (exacerbating the scheduling issues).

• JCPenney provides laughably
  more... little support to appliances—a business they supposedly care about growing.

A few examples (of many):

• Next to no appliance advertising (you are expected to advertise inside the store.)

• JCPenney relies heavily on price matching, rather than good sale prices

• Frequent availability issues (on account of JCPenney not owning any of its own inventory) can often make closing sales challenging (keep in mind your pay is commission-based.)

• Rarely does appliances get all of its price tags. The majority of the missing tags are not available to print in the system (meaning you have to manually make price tags that don't follow the design of the rest.)

• Management has NO IDEA how to fix appliance issues, nor do they care to learn (meaning you're on your own.) This includes the supervisor directly over appliances, despite that literally being their job.

• JCPenney's call center will blatantly tell customers it is the store's responsibility to fix issues when they don't feel like dealing with them, knowing full well the only recourse we have at the store level is... to call the call center...

• Delivery frequently refuses to install appliances for customers simply because they don't feel like doing the work. They will cite made-up and inaccurate reasons for doing so. They will then tell the customer to contact the store to complain and reschedule (leaving us with the fallout).
Pros
Good discount, friendly co-workers, decent prices (most of the time), decent product selection (when available)
Cons
LOW pay, poor management, lack of support
Good Place to Work
Cashier/Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Westerly, RISeptember 25, 2018
This is good place to work. I enjoyed what I did there and enjoyed dealing with the public on a day to day basis. It was a good job for me at that time in my life.
A great place of employment
Sale Associate (Former Employee) –  Gadsden, ALSeptember 25, 2018
A typical day at work consisted of being greeting by all employees in morning meetings and then returning to my register to tackle the day, making sales and assisting customers when needed.
Custom window design (Former Employee) –  La Crosse, WISeptember 25, 2018
Great opportunity to grow with the company. Great benefits and growth . Flexible hours are part of the job performance. Great company to work for....
Fun place
Picker/Packer (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 24, 2018
Fun place hard working and good period of time I like to work there but medical reasons I have to stay . They got holiday pay and good time for working
Amazing
Temporary Sales Associate/Cahier (Former Employee) –  Willow Grove, PASeptember 24, 2018
JCP was my favorite job EVER!!!!! I’d love to still be working there but things happened with the company so we had no choice but to leave unfortunately. The overall experience was great.
fair
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Laguna Hills, CASeptember 24, 2018
learned skills to do my job, got training on new product, flexible hours, great team, great employee discount, hard to really make a living based on pay
Pros
great people
Cons
hard to make money
Okay job
Replenishment Representative (Former Employee) –  Jackson, TNSeptember 24, 2018
Working in stock area, floor, and providing customers service was awesome. Meeting different people and helping them find merchandise was fun. See kids face was fun.
Pros
Hours
Cons
Working during seasonal time
Ok place to work.
Carton Processing Associate (Former Employee) –  Forest Park, GASeptember 24, 2018
This is a OK place to work for. Its better when you work for the company and not through a staffing agency. Make sure to find the department that has the schedule that fits you.
Pros
You get paid every week.
Cons
mandatory overtime
Did not enjoy my experience working here
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MD 21401September 24, 2018
When i was hired i was promised 30 to 35 hours a week working full time and making $12 hourly . Management hired me Feb. 8 and i didnt start work until the middle of march. They only gave me about 15 hours a week and my hourly rate was 8.25. Poor communication between management and staff and not enough hours to spread equally through all employees.
Poor management
Costumer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Caguas, PRSeptember 24, 2018
Sadly the store that I was working with had a really bad management problem. They even didnt give the chance to people inside the same store to go up. There were always silly reason why other from the outside had the oportunity and not the other way around. Sadly instead of penalizing the supervisors or leaders that were guilty of stuff that happend they prefered to move the leader or supervisor to another store.

Its sad that the culture affects so much is tead of following the vision and mission of JC Penney
good ob for student
MERCHANDISING ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Marshall, TXSeptember 24, 2018
great job for a student not a good lifetime job. fun for younger people who just need a few hours a week. I liked the people I worked with dislike like the company as a whole.
very mismanaged
Manager, Stylist & Customer Care Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Elyria, OHSeptember 24, 2018
to many managers and no one knows what is going on. always looking to hire, not busy so the time goes by very slow. most enjoyable is working with the customersa that come in and the regular customers that come in often
Pros
25% off
Cons
sometimes no breaks
Great place to work with great leadership.1
Shoes Associate (Current Employee) –  Richmond, INSeptember 24, 2018
I genuinely enjoy the people I work with and my managers, the discount is pretty sweet. I’ve enjoyed the time I’ve spent working here. Wish for more flexibility with scheduling.
Pros
Good leadership
Cons
No consistent scheduling
slower work but peaceful
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bellefontaine, OHSeptember 24, 2018
slow paced, not a fan of the manager. It was a smaller store but she always expected us to work - there was never enough to work on. I would want better pay
Pros
long lunch break
Cons
confusing policies
Not enough hours,mostly interested in you signing people up for credit cards
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville FloridaSeptember 24, 2018
They only keep you if you are getting alot of ICaps( signing people up for credit cards) Not enough hours to survive............................................
Pros
Free lunch on holidays
Cons
Not enough hours, only interested in credit card sign ups, go backs are horrible
Busy ,quick paced
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Valley Stream, NYSeptember 24, 2018
Helped direct people to the right sections of the store.
Folded clothes and returned them to the right tables/ shelves
Collected money and returned change
it was fun to work for JCPenny
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 24, 2018
It was really fun to work for JCPenny. I am a student so it was helpful for me to work on a flexible schedule. The management was very good and I enjoyed working there
Men's Suits
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kennewick, WASeptember 23, 2018
Constantly was behind a cash register helping customers with order/online orders. Measured customers in order to obtain best suit and other clothing suited for them.

55.8K

Women's ratings

3.6Fairygodboss Score

53%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

54%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss