JCPenney
Happiness rating is 65 out of 100

JCPenney Employee Reviews

You’re seeing reviews close to Ashburn, VA based on your current location
Not your desired location?
Choose a different one
ProsColleagues are helpful and very supportive. Recruiting manager is very professional and was always helpful with any queries I had.ConsManagers and Team leads never discussed any team goals for the day. Directionless and chaotic.No benefits and long work hours during holidays with just one break. Felt like doing the job of two people as they didnt hire many people during holidays. Compensation was low conpared to other companies. No holiday perks provided by the company, Company didnt value their employees at the storefront.
I started my retail management career straight out of college. I worked here for 10 years then it seemed the growth stopped for internal promotions.
Cons
Development
Company was okay. The employees I worked with were great. My only issue was the job itself, I did not enjoy what I was doing. Management was fine I do not have many complaints.
Pros
Team
Cons
Pay
It was a good intro to retail. It's a good place to learn very quickly what it takes to run a big box store. Management was good but corporate was not very clear about the direction they wanted to take the company.
Hard to predict which brick and mortar stores will survive competition from Internet shopping and, now, Covid-19. The location at Fair Oaks Mall was great--very close to my home.
Pros
Location was close to my home.
Cons
The constant push to open credit card accounts when I was there.
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
I had fun working there. The culture allowed individuals to bring in family and friend which is not an issue if these individuals are qualified. Some were but others were not which did not help when they restructured. I feel they did not know how to reinvent their business and this cause the issues their dealing with now.
Pros
Discount, Some benefits, training
Cons
Sagnate
Working at JCPenney is good. You can let the managers know the days and hours you are available to work. They work along your time. If you need to someone to work for you on a particular day, they will agree.
Pros
Some times free lunches, especially on holidays, and long hours.
Cons
Some coupons are restricted to customers only.
If you’re a Hairstylist, looking for benefits and a work place that encourages growth, Penney’s is a great place to work. Now, you have to be motivated and look to strong mentoring stylist and managers to guide you, as with our industry, mentors are key to success!
The company is great. The employees are great. Retail salaries could be improved upon but that is an industry problem. It is a great company to work for.
I have been working for JCPenney for two years, and they have never prioritized employee benefits — especially since they have been cutting hours with no pay. Despite cutting hours, employees still have to work everyday of the week. Also, there is a lack of promotions within the company for long-time employees.
My responsibilities were to ensure my direct rapport was equipped to deliver sales, profits, engage associates and provided exceptional customer experience on a daily basis.
This is a good company to work for. Patience and kindness are obvious in this environment. Unfortunately, the store I was in closed up for real estate reasons.
* Customer service is a main priority in sales. * Attend to customers in a timely manner. * Managed a team of 8-12 people. * Open and close the store as needed.
I enjoyed working with a diversity of people. I will recommend this company for students who want to work part time. I got to learn to work with on line customers.
The culture at JCPenney has definitely changed over the past years. The restructuring has meant that they gave you more work with the less pay. Just never really enough time to finish a task at the time that I was there for such a big store. And we're never able sparkly staff the store. The associates and management staff work very hard to satisfy the customers needs. ,needsit'neveseem to be enough
They need better management and more pay raises. The employees were very friendly like family. The management needs more work as far as keeping a solid manager.
Its a very fun place to work but the pay and hours isn't that good. The store it self is was to big and its not that fun to work at to many bad customers.
Work like balance is already a struggle in retail industry. They did the best they could with respecting that, however, it is the balance of workload and available resources is what made the job harder on the manager and the general employees.
It was messy almost all the time, so most day we had to recover, recover, recover. And if I'm not working 6 hour shifts, I'm working working 8 hour shifts for 5 days straight, overtime sometimes. I would be exhausted, to the point where I began to start having mini seizures during work without my knowledge due to stress and exhaustion. The toll was one of my coworkers (who was not my higher ups) kept harassing me and telling me how to do my job, even though I've worked there longer. Horrible, will never work there again.
Held many positions in my years at JCP. The people that worked in each store that I worked in were the difference makers for me. Management was always consistent, making it easier to understand and do my job
Pros
The people i had the opportunity to work with
Cons
I have worked in the Dulles location for about 3 years now. There has been little advancement for my position, and what advancement that had been made was pushed back due to the cutting of the Appliance Sales. I make a semi decent 10.47 an hour, for part time, but it's not enough. There's also no full time advancement from part time, even after working for the company for such a long time. That and JCP doesn't offer full time of 40 hours a week, either. Full time to them is 32 hours per week. Part time is in the ballpark of 15 to 20. The Employee discount is hardly worth the price you pay for the product you receive, and we don't sell the best products to begin with, not to mention sizes are so difficult to find that you'd have better luck finding a needle in a haystack. Now, the only good thing about working at JCP is that you are treated like family from the management's perspective. We are all brothers and sisters that work together to achieve goals for the store. However, that doesn't mean that the team members you work with are just as accommodating. There are nice people, and then there's the people you really wish would just disappear off the face of the planet. You get that everywhere you work, but here it's a bit different due to the fact that JCP tends to hire younger help more often than someone who is in their 40s or so. All in all, I would pass working here on the account of not enough pay for hours worked, and team members not being a good fit for the team.
Pros
treated like family
Cons
breaks are too short, no benefits for part time employees, not paid enough, team members are a bit of a pain to work with
  1. Employee Reviews