JCPenney Employee Reviews

Found 20,200 reviews matching the search See all 20,286 reviews
Rude and unhelpful managers
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Salem, ORJune 25, 2019
Personally I disliked this job. The managers don’t inform employees about coupons, or sales, or any store information. The managers are nosy and ask many questions about your personal life. The pay is not worth the horrible working conditions.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Everything else!
Fun workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJune 25, 2019
Hard work standing on your feet all day is very hard. That was also a fun job to me because I love shopping. The JCPenneys I worked for was connected to a mall. And on my lunch breaks I would do a lot of window shopping. I raye this company a 10 also.
Fun, friendly place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJune 25, 2019
This was a pleasant place to work for. The environment was nice and the fellow coworkers were also. They store was busy most of the time and fast paced is always fun. I loved working here.
Serious work place
Packer (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJune 25, 2019
JCPenney was an okay work place, however there was a lot of drama. It honestly felt like high school. There were a lot of childlike things happening. The good part is that during their peak seasons, they have a lot of overtime, and encourage you to stay.
An example of how poorly retail can go
Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kennewick, WAJune 25, 2019
JCPenney treated myself and fellow coworkers the worst out of every place I have worked. You were constantly watched to make sure you weren't talking to coworkers. Shifts were subject to change without any notice, I had to check my online schedule multiple times a day to see if I was suddenly work or if an entire shift was gone. We were worked back to back 12 hour shifts for a week and then a final 12 hour shift that turned into 16 hours when they wouldn't let us leave because it was the day corporate was coming to check. And then anyone who was hired that summer got no hours for weeks. Our employee bathroom was without soap for weeks and they eventually threw in a bottle of hand sanitizer.
The only reason it doesn't deserve 1 star is because I know there has to be worse jobs out there.
Pros
discounts
Cons
changing shifts, poor management, zero respect for employees
Productive and overall decent work enviornment
JCPenney sales associate (Current Employee) –  Redding, CAJune 25, 2019
Coworkers and environment was healthy. A typical day at work can turn from busy to completely dead. Depending on managers available, that would influence the vibe of the store.
Not a great place to work
Human Resource Manager (Current Employee) –  VAJune 25, 2019
You would think the environment would be family oriented and friendly. However, managers treat you based on how they liked you. Meaning if you're not liked you get less hours and bad work shifts.
Pros
Cons
Poor benefits, compensation and work life balance
Overall was not what I expected
Customer Contact Center Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Wauwatosa, WIJune 25, 2019
A waste of time. Not able to be flexible. Manager always in his office, never saw him until something went wrong. Never came out to give praise to the teams
fun people, 0 chance at advancement unless you are a manager favorite
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 25, 2019
This was a fun place to work but there is a lot of favoritism and it really gets in the way of fair treatment. The discount was very good, and came in handy when I moved out
Great enviroment
TEAM LEAD (Former Employee) –  Forest Park, GAJune 25, 2019
Hated that the company went out of business.
Great opportunity for growth. Great job to learn all about the warehouse field. Wish I company stayed around to help the employment
Not my kind of atmosphere
ASSET PROTECTION ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 25, 2019
Hours were long, unpredictable, and not well communicated. Little to no room for advancement. Felt taken for granted, would not want to submit myself to that kind of environment in the future.
Productive and fun workplace with great people.
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Visalia, CAJune 25, 2019
I would come in to work at 5 am and help unload the truck and put the shipment onto tables and open them. I worked with a group so it was a team effort. We put the items on the right racks and put the merchandise out on the sales floor where they belonged. The racks were heavy and hard to pull but I did not give up and was able to finish my work on time. Everyone was very nice and always willing to lend a hand to help others that needed it.
Iteresting place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 25, 2019
I did inbound and out bound calls about credit cards and orders that were done by the customers.
I also placed orders and helped the customers shop for certain items that they needed.
I also was able to check on their reward acct which was a promotion thing that they did.
The difficulties of this job would just be typical angry customers which I've dealt with all my working life so it's nothing I can't handle.
Over worked
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIJune 25, 2019
I worked at jc penney over the holidays, they work is as much as it is legally to work you in one day and then want you back in storie the next morning when its a hours drive from home so technically only getting six hours by the time you drive home and drive back and after food and a shower your bnot left with much sleep time.. in short fix your scheduling system jc penny
Was great until instyle took over
Master stylist (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJune 24, 2019
They micromanage employee by using loss prevention like the Gestapo by constantly they actually tried to get me tell on other employees because they thought i might have witnessed what they were doing because they observed us on camera
productive and fun workplace with co workers working together
Cashier/Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 24, 2019
A typical day at work would be make sure floor is neat and learning new things about product use/mangement expectancy. The workplace culture as far as goes...is it's encourgeing team with employee of month opportunities. The hardest part of job was after store closing clean up in short period time frame as well as the enjoyable most part of job is complete assign tasks as asked.
Pros
benefits such 401K & overtime (plus) pay; holiday celebration(s); discounts.
Cons
short breaks, no sick time off paid
The expectations of this company's management was lacking in several areas.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Baytown, TXJune 24, 2019
JCPenny was not a good fit for me. They did not benefit me in any way other than with learning good communication skills, customer service and store cleanliness.
It was great
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL 32225June 24, 2019
I loved working for JCPenney. You got to tell them when you could work weekly. So if you marked that you couldn't then you didn't have to. The people who worked there were awesome. I would have stayed if it wasn't seasonal.
Had nice people
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEJune 24, 2019
Very friendly older people was funny working with them they were comfortable to work with I was in the stocking business the boss was mean somewhat ..
J.C. Penney
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Yuba City, CAJune 24, 2019
This company works well with students, the benefits could have been better for a part time employee, basically nothing if your hours are irregular, but the atmosphere was good and the management pleasant.

56.3K

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP30%
In the Top 30% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at JCPenney.

Powered by Comparably