JCPenney

JCPenney Employee Reviews

United States24,784 reviews

Found 24,784 reviews matching the searchSee all 24,906 reviews
jcjcppenneyjcpennystorediscountassociateretail

Not a good company to work for

ProsColleagues are helpful and very supportive. Recruiting manager is very professional and was always helpful with any queries I had.ConsManagers and Team leads never discussed any team goals for the day. Directionless and chaotic.No benefits and long work hours during holidays with just one break. Felt like doing the job of two people as they didnt hire many people during holidays. Compensation was low conpared to other companies. No holiday perks provided by the company, Company didnt value their employees at the storefront.

A corporation.

JCPenney is of course very corporate. If you want to work for a company that might have great management this is the place. If you want to work for a company that has terrible benefits and a willingness to shut down with a couple month’s notice and almost no employee recognition from corporate, this is also the place.

JCPenney insights

Based on 7,909 survey responses
What people like
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Sense of belonging

Great co-workers but you’ll be overworked

The company has great ideas but not enough budget to staff appropriately. You will work very hard with little help or direction. If you’re a self starter you’ll do great. Too much pressure to open credit cards which is a turn off to customers. Management was good but so overworked that they rarely had time to lead and encourage. You’ll be asked to work holidays, on your days off. The more you give the more they will take.

Pros

Coworkers

Cons

Pay

Fun place to work when you are a teenager

This place doesn't pay well and they over work you for the amount they pay. Also when they aren't busy they start sending you home and you don't get your hours

Easy first job, but beware of management

An easy and relaxed job, but management makes it difficult. They focus more on selling credit cards to anyone who walks into the store. They will make their rounds through the store, and you had to get like one application a day at least. That part was super stressful because people only came for the coupons.

Pros

Discount

Cons

Credit Cards

Easy work, Fun People

Its retail so there isnt much to expect, yet the employees are the best part and it can be very fun at times. There were multiple associate appreciation events making the entire experience quite nice.

Coworkers were fun, awesome employee discounts

Was a fun first job. Work atmosphere was okay. A few bad things should be known. You fail to get a certain amount of credit card applications, they'd cut your hours until you quit.

Pros

Fun co workers, paid 15 min break

Cons

Lack of communication, lack of flexibility, cut hours

Salon

I worked in the salon at 2 Maryland locations fir 15 years total. A lot of ups and some downs. Overall good place to work but management is constantly changing due to work load expectations.

Pros

Training, mostly nice people, diverse

Cons

Overworked underpaid

Being able to work from home

Used to be a great place to work. Been there 8 years. The new owners are out sourcing jobs. Many great associates have lost their jobs or have resigned and / or retired due to all the outsourcing. Loved working there. Loved the variety and fast pace, but the appreciation and job security have decreased dramatically.

Great Starting Job

It was a great starting first job, interacting with customers and friendly employees. It was a great place to get a customer service experience and was flexible with hours

Ok

OKAY PLACE TO WORK. Good hours and nothing to bad or too good, just alright. Hard to get enough hours but good place starting out. Good first time job

Worst job ever

They are so understaffed and not only do the customers constantly have scams they're running on you, the managers dont take your side. The managers at my location gave me write ups for their own wrongdoings.

I care about my coworkers and they care about me.

We are always stressed due to having to cut everyone's hours back. We are so short handed that we are really stressed when our customers get mad for having to wait a long time to be waited on.

Pros

We are a work family.

Cons

Rearly get a break.

Good Place, genuine culture, but all about sales.

Great place to work as a college student, work and life balance is cool, but don't request alot of days off they dont like that. Work, you can make friends, management is somewhat nice.

great hours great pay

clean, organized. clock in days go fast, meet new people, store is easy to find things in. help guests find things and answer a lot of questions on products online and in store

Pros

clean

Cons

not super hard

Decent

Was a decent job but covid made scheduling absolute trasg and the pay really wasn’t enough when you had to run around like a chicken with your head cut off

Meet expectations but could use some work

All cashiers share the same cash register each day and there is no balancing between each worker. This means if there is a cash shortage at the end of the day, there is a lot of finger pointing and no formal steps taken to know when and who created the shortage. It doesn't feel good if I know I take the time to carefully count back cash to the customer but another cashier does not and I'm in a situation where I'm potentially named as who worked on the day of the shortage. Bad leadership in my department drove out good talent. Not all departments have bad leadership though. Ask good interview questions about management style. My perspective is if a manager can't carry a conversation without reading off a list of canned questions, it could be a red flag. I hit my target consistently. I found a supportive culture amongst my peers however management could use some consistent leadership skill training to be able to offer the same type of culture.

Management in the JCpennys and the Sephora are terrible

RUN! MGT is only nice to you if they want something, try contacting them they will ignore you.Sephora expects to pay MGR that are highly qualified$26

Pros

Cons

Run down store, Management, Sephora District Manager, Pay, No Bonus Program, Rif Raff, Unprofessional hiring process

cashier

Caotic management isn't helpful rude customer low pay a good first job but they try to make you be a saleman with the creditcards nothing long term good for seasonal work

Worst place to work

Worst place to work. No work life balance at all. They expect you to work and have no consideration for their employees. It was a nightmare working there. And they pay you so less on top of all the work load.

Discount is good there are no other perks. Don’t let you work over 25 hours because then they have to give you benefits

No budget for employees. Boring day. Computers very old. Not enough management around because they are doing more work. Air conditioner is always breaking down

Common questions about JCPenney

Answered by current and former employees at JCPenney

Ask a question about working or interviewing at JCPenney. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
Top 30%
In the Top 30% of similar size companies
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at JCPenney.
Powered byComparably