JCPenney
Happiness rating is 61 out of 100

JCPenney Employee Reviews

Found 25,500 reviews matching the searchSee all 25,501 reviews
jcjcppenneyjcpennystorediscountassociateretail

Not a good company to work for

ProsColleagues are helpful and very supportive. Recruiting manager is very professional and was always helpful with any queries I had.ConsManagers and Team leads never discussed any team goals for the day. Directionless and chaotic.No benefits and long work hours during holidays with just one break. Felt like doing the job of two people as they didnt hire many people during holidays. Compensation was low conpared to other companies. No holiday perks provided by the company, Company didnt value their employees at the storefront.

Easy work but bad management

It was a busy job with people yelling at you but that's expected from retail. My issues were with management and the credit card policy. I wasn't allowed to say it was a credit card and even was told to lie and say that the customers are signing up for a debit card. It felt wrong when people would be signing up for a credit card and didn't know.

Pros

Breaks

Cons

Busy, bad management, dealing with angry customers.

JCPenney insights

Based on 8,604 survey responses
What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Sense of belonging

Meeting new people

JCPenney was an okay job. But I don’t want to work here long term. Plus the few hours I could work were cut short. The plus to working is meeting new people and making friends l

Productive and a fun place to work

What is the best part of working at the company?Customer service interacting with customers who want my help. What is the most stressful part about working at the company?Dealing with bosses who have their favorite employees What is the work environment and culture like at the company?Good clean atmosphere working as a team and listening to our customers. What is a typical day like for you at the company?Energetic fun busy interacting with people

Stressful, No room for growth, and No stable amount of hours

I worked in pretty much every department (shoes, jewelry, and salon) for 9 years. I ended up in the salon as a receptionist for the last 3 years I worked there. No one wanted to work, and it seemed I was always having to pick you everyone's slack. Barely could get any one to notice if you went above and beyond as a worker. For someone like me that has a high work ethic it was extremely discouraging. I had plenty of PTO accrued and they would never let me us it when I needed to and their excuse was because I was a good worker so they needed me. I had the highest level you could receive at review times and still never received a raise the last three years I worked there. My hours changed weekly so I never had a stable work week. I would say, don't waste your time here unless your a young kid in high school just looking to make a small amount of money to get through school or if you just want something part time that goes no where.

What is the best part of working at the company?I'm work part time at JCpenny. I love my co worker. Every one are so nice. What is the most stressful part about working at the company?It's depent on the days, if you found customer with mad mood. They will make your day kind na bad day. What is the work environment and culture like at the company?I love tk work along with clothes, sort the color, organize clothes. Also co workers and supervizor are so nice.

Divertido, dinamico

Un trabajo donde aprendes mucho, super dinámico, son bien pro empleados, no te dan beneficios pero si te reconocen por tu labor como empleado, definitivamente la mejor experiencia de trabajo.

I enjoyed working here because of the customers

I did enjoy working here because I love customer service & my manger was efficient and fun. I worked at the 2nd JCPENNEY ever to be opened in Sheridan Wy.

What is the best part of working at the company?They work around my school schedule and it’s close to home.What is the most stressful part about working at the company?Lack of properly working equipment.What is the work environment and culture like at the company?The working environment is what you make it and that goes with any job. I like to keep the mood light and fun yet professional. I address everyone with Ms or Mr and their name and it has slowly caught on and now others do the same. You can be a positive example and it will catch on with others.What is a typical day like for you at the company?This is a slow season and I jam a lot of work into a very short time, that is just how I work. I run from one end of the store to the other assisting with calls from associates. Every call can be a teachable moment even for me.

Was full of great people

Great coworkers , benefits were good and hours are typical retail. Lots of theme days and games played. Need more help like everyone else. Open most holidays and required to work them. The salon stylists run the show you can’t change their hours and most are not flexible at all.

Good First Job

Nice people. Flexible schedule since I was only part time. They worked with my school schedule. Learned a lot. Pay was good since I was in high school.

Fun workplace

Not enough walk-ins. Fun people. When it’s not busy you can have fun shopping on the clock & there are lot’s of discount’s! Fun learning more styles.

Productive and good coworkers

The people that work there are usually pretty good to get along with. It's retail, so it's just a standard retail job. Hours might be tough to get if you're hired seasonally.

Do not apply at this location

If you are thinking of applying here, dont. The supervisors will train you to do the most basic things then everything else I had to struggle and figure out on my own. I told them the number of hours I wanted to work and they constantly added more without talking to me about it first. After I got used to working in one area of the store they would constantly move me around making me have to learn everything again. The supervisors do the bare minimum while the associates do the hard work. There were many times where I was the only person in my section for hours, especially weekends, and the staff didnt bother to help. The manager was irritating and tried way too hard to be your friend to the point where its uncomfortable. Honestly dealing with customers was the easiest part of the job

Pros

Not the best to work for, could use some help in management

So so work environment. angry manager. Sometimes overworked. The work/life balance is okay. Need more days off. management should be better. Not a fun place to work for

Nice Workplace

Nice, but management plays favorites. If you do something wrong you get judgmental looks. Cards are very important and are linked to how well you do your job. No cards= You didn’t put your all. Co-workers are nice and most customers are great.

Great job

Great job nice people just started but worked for JCPenney before and love this location and the people that I work with everyday. Very nice management

Customers were sweet

Management was completely unprofessional. One of the managers constantly bragged about having the most complaints in the store. Constantly being gaslight and ignored while asking for instructions. Very unprofessional hot/cold work environment. None of the managers seem to know What they’re doing. It was a very uncomfortable experience.

Pros

Cons

Emotional abuse

What is the best part of working at the company?I love working with the public and this was a good place to work…What is the most stressful part about working at the company?Recovery at the end of the day…What is the work environment and culture like at the company?Diversity in all ways… I was very comfortable What is a typical day like for you at the company?Very nice… you make your own day

Nice workplace

This was a simple job. I was on the cashwrap or putting items back on the floor. Lots of importance placed on getting people to apply for the credit card.

Great managers but boring at times

This is for the Citrus Park location. The managers are great, so long as you don’t cause any issues and do your job. They’re fair and won’t have problems with you if you don’t cause any. They’re down to Earth and will 100% help you out if you’re dealing with a difficult customer and stand up for you, whether you’re in the right or not. If you have any complaints, they’ll gladly hear you out as well. Hours are very flexible and if you can’t make it, they’re really understanding.The coworkers there really depends. For the most part, everyone is super nice but there are some people that lack in their work, leaving everyone else to pick up the slack which can be super frustrating at times, especially being so understaffed. It is a minimum wage job starting off (unless you come with prior experience), so I understand there isn’t really much incentive to work hard but…just do your work.My biggest complaint is the job can be boring, especially during the week when there’s barely anyone in the store. So keep that in mind if you like to keep busy. I am one of those people so I find myself doing a lot more to help out than just cashiering.There is opportunity for career growth here into a supervisor positions, just so long as the store has openings.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at JCPenney. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Women's ratings

3.7Fairygodboss Score

56%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss

Compare JCPenney with

JCPenney reviews by popular job title

• Retail & Wholesale
  • JCPenney
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?