JCPenney

JCPenney Employee Reviews in Oneonta, NY

Found 13 reviews matching the search with 8 reviews near your location.
Easy place to work for, but poor management
Work was always fairly easy. Fold clothes, sell things, help customers, clean up. I learned how to stay on top of what I'm doing and how to stay busy on the clock.
Management was strange. In the interview, the store manager was very sweet and charismatic making the job feel very welcoming. Once you're hired though, she would favorite certain employees for getting people to sign up for the store credit card. The more numbers you got, the more she liked you and would be flexible about EVERYTHING. If you didn't get many people to sign up, you would be the scapegoat. The clean up crew. This was the hardest part of the job. If you weren't making the store constantly look good by getting people to sign up for a credit card, you were the enemy.

I really did enjoy seeing how the clothes in the store would change. The changing styles and patterns. Also, most of the employees who weren't the favorite were usually very kind and understanding. I had friends there that would earn a lot from the credit cards and they were very kind, but they're now no longer part of my life.
Pros
Great Hours, Charisma Earns You Money
Cons
Short Breaks, Favoritism
Overall I found the company to be fun to work for. The holiday season can get a little hectic, Black Friday is always a madhouse, but for the most part of the year the store stays at a slow but steady rate. Good work environment.
fun working environment
learned multiple tasks and different departments. got to know frequent customers. handle money daily. the supervisors and managers were great to work with.
mostly friendly employees and great management but needs better communication
really good sales every week, most of the employees i worked with were kind and there was a sense a balance the only things i didn't enjoy was the request for certain items to complete me job were not taken care of, multiple requests were made and my job just became more difficult, also being the only employee in my actual role due to lack of money and hours resulted in high stress and always having to rush and still never being 100% especially dealing with multiple health problems the job broke me even though i absolutely loved it.
Pros
great management
Cons
lack of communication and request action
Nice place to work
Great place to work if you like retail. Varying hours could be challenging. Friendly associates and challenges to make working fun and competitive at times.
Pros
Fun and friendly place to work
Cons
Short breaks, varying hours
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
Did not like it
Did not like management. They think they can do whatever they want with you. No consideration for family life. Only remained at the job because there was nothing else available at the time.
Pros
I had a job
Cons
Variable hours. You never knew when to schedule appointments for your family
Productive & Fun place to work
I really enjoyed working i got injured and couldn't get to work on crutches and didn't know anyone who could drive me to work. I really would love to be in customer service because I have great customer service skills.
Pros
get paid overtime for working holidays
Cons
i didn't like organizing baby clothes
hated
Min wage task oriented job with no real advancement
Long, tiring, stressful

Only certain people were looked upon with value, all others are replaceable

Very high schoolish

Best part was being done

Training was lacking
Pros
Cons
hours, weekends, holidays
visual manager
enjoyed the hours and having weekends off. The pay was decent and the discount was awesome ! They were flexable with hours and when you needed time off.
I liked customer service
I enjoyed helping customers and knowing that my opinion was valued. For me, this meant upholding the concept that the "customer is always right."
I really enjoyed working at JCPenney but it was just for the holidays. Very productive company.
Nice work place. I loved the people and I love working with the public. My supervisor was very fair. We all got along very well.
Pros
very prosperous company.
Cons
the jcpenney corporation has many changes that customers don't care for. many dissatified people.
If you can don't work here
J.C. Penny's for a top end store works their people into the ground around the christmas season. Then cuts their hours to the bone. Most of the people who work for the store have kids or are kids themselves. They really need the money. If your not willing to do anything without question you will not advance,( I had something else written but it was called inappropriate language) and most likely have your hours cut . Till you give up and leave. They don't want the unemployment bother. This was my 2nd store I'm guessing it's the same all over.
Pros
most people on the floor are hard working and care
Cons
management will work you into the ground
not worth it
Retail is retail, and I used to enjoy my job at Penney's, but now with all the changes, you never know if you 'll have a job tomorrow or not. I have been watching my co-workers and manager get laid off one by one lately, while other terrible, lazy employees are kept on. We work with nothing but a skeleton crew every day. We have been harrassed every day by district managers to make our goal in getting credit applications; leading by FEAR is not the way to run things. You'd think that after 100-plus years, Penney's would know that a happy employee is a productive one! Oh, and the pay is bad; you can't make a living there. If you ask for a decent salary, they'll just get rid of you and hire a newbie at minimum wage. And yet, CEO Ron Johnson make FIFTY-THREE MILLION dollars a year. I can;t afford the gas to get there. When the company stopped caring about me, I stopped caring too.
Pros
nice co-workers
Cons
poor pay, short hours, lots of layoffs
Related reviews
8 reviews near your selected location with similar search
work life balance was ok
management was ok when it was stable, could compensate employees better. co-workers were some of the best friends i ever made
Pros
employees
Cons
compensation, advancement opportunities
productive enjoy employee"s parties

first day on cash register

I learned how to run cash register and learned about retail stores

management was very nice

co workers are co operative and helpful

there was nothing hard part

fun working in retail store.
Pros
enjoying parties
Cons
health care was good break was good
nice place to work
the most enjoyable part of working for this company is getting to meet and work with great people every day.

Learned how to coach and train people to be successful
Bad workplace/short staffed
Worked at the sterling va location lots of chaos not enough employees! Was a supervisor for appliances bad place to buy appliances and work environment was not ideal and was setup to fail
When working here you really do not learn any skills other than what they train you on. They were changing the CEO and he changed the whole operation.
Pros
wage
Cons
N/a
commission based job
this is my part time job and work as commission base to improve my financial needs. wanted to work fully in my own field. I work four to five hours in a week.
Great job while I was in High School
This job gave me a good foot hold on how to manage/run a section. It helped me hone my skills with interacting with customers and providing great customer service. The management was okay but seemed more concerned with goals then the actual employee. The hardest part of the job was Black Friday and its aftermath. The most enjoyable part was helping customers find what they needed which turned into great feedback to my managers regarding my performance.
Pros
Free events and catering and great employee discounts
Cons
Very limited full time work
Good place for someone in high school/early college to work
Liked to work there back in high school, would not recommend it to someone over the age of 19. Good pay for a young kid. Retail just wasnt exactly my thing. But for someone who doesnt mind folding clothes then i would reccomend.
6.9K
Women's ratings

3.7Fairygodboss Score

56%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.