JCPenney

Based on 5,894 survey responses
What people like
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues

Good for a part time job

It was a nice place overall some of the co workers were kinda rude but it wasn’t that bad the pay wasn’t that good. Management was very helpful. Overall it was an okay experience

Fun job

If you are going to school it will be a good easy while In school. only rush is during the holidays but overall you are working with young positive people

Good work environment was ruined by poor management and payroll issues.

Really liked the job and people except for the constant push to get credit apps and sell service plans to the extent that associates did shady stuff that wasn’t in the best interests of the company or the customer to meet their goals. Also, if you didn’t do shady stuff, you received pressure for not “performing” as well as someone who quotes prices with service plans and tries to slip them in, or someone who gets other associates to apply repeatedly for credit they know they won’t be approved for to keep their numbers up. (Management is aware of this practice and doesn’t seem to care as long as they make their numbers.). The deal breaker for me is that when there was a problem with my direct deposit, JCP payroll passed the buck to the bank and was ZERO help. Trying to reach someone was a nightmare even before they blew me off.

Pros

Most customers are nice, many are great, and my co-workers were mostly excellent.

Cons

Constant pressure to get credit applications, sell service plans, No support if there is a payroll issue.

Work environment constantly changing

JCPenney can be an extremely stressful company to work for, depending on your position, but it does have its rewards. I enjoyed valuing each of my employees and ensuring they had what they needed to do their jobs, even when it wasn't company-provided. Sometimes it could be difficult to operate an entire store, especially with a short staff and with standards constantly changing, but the days went by quickly because there was always have something to do.

Pros

Decent pay and good work-life balance

Cons

High expectations from company

Terrible place to work at, lack of management, heavy works on few people

they don't have enough employees because the company is broke it doesn't make profit, you don't get enough hrs and too much work on one person. It's so unorganized

Pros

Cons

heavy works for minimum wage, not enough associates, not enough hrs

Would you rate your company five stars?

Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.

Lovely

a great place to work mainly for younger people who need a part time job. Management seems to be able to work around schedules with school or a secondary job, but only allows 25 hours or less a week due to government regulation.

no stressful work environment

Work-life balanceWork-life balance at JCPenney is good i got to see my family and friends as much as I want. It was cool 0lace to work. Great times. Thanks jc penny.

It was a fun work environment and my coworkers were amazing

I had a seasonal position at JCPenney‘s, it was fairly easy to get the hang of their system and an easy transition with my coworkers. With being a native Spanish speaker, I couldn’t keep up with credit card sales.

Pros

Good people, Weekly activities for employees

Cons

Not very flexible with work schedule, pressure to make credit card sales

Store Weak Operation Standard

Majority of the employee is great, company is lacking of operation standard. To many management with seniority hanging on the old way to operate the store on the daily standard

Easy going and lots of communication with supervisors/ managers

The managers and supervisors are always there to help. They are understanding and with help with whatever question you may need. They try to make everyday work as enjoyable as possible.

Learned how to sell

Learned how to sell and approach customers, this was my first job and I liked it. I learned great skills, I enjoy going to work, I’m just looking for another skill

Hated it

I got hired as a seasonal, and I'm kind of glad they decided not to keep me. I worked recovery and cashier. I was hired for recovery mostly, but I liked being a cashier best. I was fine with doing what my job title was supposed to do. But, the management and all that was completely HORRIFYING. The management started becoming worse when they got a new one. There's this one lady from the management that had a problem with me and I have no idea why.

It was a good first experience

It was a good first experience! It was my first job and I learned a lot of things about the work environment and work ethics. I’m glad I had a opportunity to work here and grow from it

Very bad Management, no training for employee

Don't work for this company, when you have problem in your job, nobody can come and help you. You are always alone . You don't have enough training for your position , but the management expecting that you have to do anything.

Stressful and no one cares

JCP didn't care about you as a leader it was all about sales sales which i completely understated. But when you work for someone that is dis honest and only cares about self it makes it hard. I cant to work and get the job done not kiss someone butt to get ahead.

It sucks

A lot of favoritism, doesn’t matter how hard you work, the “teachers pet” will always get the promotion, if not, they bring new people in rather than promoting someone from the store.

As a first job it was okay

Not much to say but if you have open availability they will schedule you overnight shifts and then morning shifts back to back, it was a really good place to begin with retail.

Overall, a learning experience that helped me grow.

Jcpenney is an amazing retail company itself. Everyday, we are tasked to meet a credit goal, so that itself was a good challenge to help me grow. The work culture is very friendly and inviting, although my new store that I was transferred to was a lot more competitive than my prior store. Overall, I really enjoyed working for the company and im grateful to have had this experience.

no hours

they promised me at least 20 hours a week, they are barely giving me 8 hours a week. the very first day on the job the person that was supposed to be training me never spoke to me and was on the phone almost the entire time. and every day I have worked after, the people are always on their phone. I have asked for more hours and have not got them

FUn place to work

Cashier, engage and help customers, clean and keep floor clean, customer service, offer promotions, help customer find what they needed, cash deposits,

Pros

work around school schdule

Cons

long ride home

Fun and very productive.

It's a very warm environment. Associates have good relationships which is good for the customers. There is always something to do so you're never bored.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at JCPenney. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

7.5K

Comparably
Diversity Score
Top 30%
In the Top 30% of similar size companies
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at JCPenney.
Powered byComparably