JCPenney Employee Reviews

Fast paced work enviorment
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, MIJune 19, 2018
My job was in the back unloading the stock and putting it to the floor. It was nice and easy going, but very time limited. I enjoyed myself on occasion but managers would be testy if we weren't fast enough.
Employment was great with friendly employers, they cares
Customer Service/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Southaven, MSJune 19, 2018
I worked well with JC Penney as a Cashier. I could see myself moving up in further my career. My Disability is what had me to just work Part Time but i loved the job atmosphere.
Pros
Great Environment
Cons
Some Customers was beriable to deal with
workplace culture
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Indiana, PAJune 19, 2018
friendly people to work and interact with, unstructured work place culture and could use increased interaction and structure in there management structure
fun place to work
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Joliet, ILJune 19, 2018
The management at JC Penny was very good. I learned a lot skills working here such as unloading a truck full of merchandise, pricing merchandise, running a cashier, providing customer service. I really liked the other employees I worked with. Overall, it was a great place to work.
Decent first job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WAJune 19, 2018
I think this would be a decent first job for adults starting in the workplace that don't have to work or don't need to work full time to pay all the bills. I also think this would be a good job for teens coming out of high school that aren't yet financially independent. They are open most days of the year. Customer service is priority. This is a retail sales environment and employees are encouraged to offer credit cards to each customer and are recognized regularly for their numbers. Mostly, customer service reps can expect to sell, recommend, show and educate customers on products and services. During downtime, there is always cleaning up to do. The fitting rooms, displays, folding and hanging clothes and moving product from one area to another per manager request. Reps can either sell items directly or order them and have them shipped online. They offer part time hours, except for management, and mandatory hours on Thanksgiving and Black Friday. Every once in a while there is a raise, although I met a few long timers that were being paid $2 less than what the new hires came on with. There is a lot of employee turnover and teams change constantly. I would recommend getting yourself a good pair of professional walking shoes for those concrete floors and you can use your employee discount to buy them.
Pros
theme days or weeks, occasional potlucks, there is always clean up work to do in downtime, great employee discount
Cons
Inconsistent schedules, often scheduled to close/open next day, no benefits, no full time, lack of mgmt direction, regular theft, standing/walking on concrete, no PTO, irregular raises and extremely small, can not afford to live alone or pay all the bills
Stressful place to work
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 18, 2018
I was working here during my last semester in college until I found a job that was more geared to my career aspirations. During that time I found it to be a very stressful place to work. The culture of the workplace wasn't great as we were required to work at least 10 hr shifts during the holidays. The compensation wasn't great or worth the stress of dealing with irate customers all day.
Fast paced and you are on your toes
Operation Associate / Cashman (Former Employee) –  Burleson, TXJune 18, 2018
A typical day at JCPenny, I would arrive into work at 6:00 am and would down stack the truck and put the merchandise to the floor. I learned how to be efficient with putting to floor
Pros
Working with the people was fun
Cons
its different in each JCPenney store
fun
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Stockton, CAJune 18, 2018
A great place for a first job. Great place to learn job skill readiness. Place where climbing the ladder is possible one day. People of many ages and backgrounds will find this a fun career
Pros
Employee discounts
Cons
minimum wage
have not worked there in years
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  COJune 18, 2018
Have not worked there in years, have no idea what kind of place it is to work, or if it's even still there. They may have closed the mall. Nothing more to add
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
N/a
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Shackleford Crossing, Little Rock, ARJune 18, 2018
I needed a part time job while I was in college, it was just something to get money in my pocket. It was okay but if you're older this isn't the job for you. I'm young and I see them treat the older people like the young people.
Good job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDJune 18, 2018
JC Penney is a good job that is easy to go back to every day. Unfortunately, being the business they are, they don't really care about your personal life or will allow you to have family time. They will work you until you physically cannot work anymore, and wont pay you respectively..
Pros
discount
Cons
everything
All I know I looked working at JCPenneys I could one of my best experiences and I missed it
Associate (Former Employee) –  McAllen, TXJune 18, 2018
My memories of JCPenney's are the best I miss it just saddened me when it closed, it but mostly my co-workers and my three supervisor who are the best people that I have worked with in a long long. My customers were all the best, I was luck that I didn't any bad issue with customers.
Pros
They try always working with me on my other job than.
Best Place to work
Cashier Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Canton, MIJune 17, 2018
You pick your schedule as you like if you are student. i learned a lot of things and they stuff helped me a lot they had best manager and best employees. no hard job always you will have fun while you are working.
Good workplace except for treatment of spanish speaking people
Bilingual Customer Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 17, 2018
I liked to work there but If you are Latino it will be very difficult to ascend in positon. Some Team leaders pressure you into making sales when the customers we get clearly don't want to buy anything.
Pros
Sometimes easy job
Good environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kennewick, WAJune 17, 2018
The job itself was easy and helped me a lot with my people skills. They helped me develop customer service skills and taught me how to up sell. However, some people on the management team were difficult and started a lot of issues among the team.
Enjoyable place to work.
Catalog Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Morrow, GAJune 17, 2018
Supervisor allowed you to work your job independently as long as the customers were helped. Place and delivered orders. Maintain a great relationship with fellow workers.
Pros
work environment
Cons
Poor management will drive this location to close like many of the rest
Merchandise Execution Associate (Current Employee) –  Colonial Heights, VAJune 17, 2018
This JCPenney operates on a skeleton of a staff, the store has always been severely understaffed leaving a heavy work load for employees. There is little to no variation in scheduling, except when closing some employees are allowed to leave earlier than others.
Pros
Employee discount
Great learning way to handle Customer Service on all levels
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL 60652June 17, 2018
I enjoy working here. The various daily hours does not always work with the human body, can be very demanding, tiresome. Not any compensation perks like they used too.
Pros
Cons
Not consistent with their associate working ethics.
Fun place to work.
Sales (Former Employee) –  Joplin, MO 64801June 16, 2018
I penny’s is a very fun and thriving place to work, especially if your a high school student or a college student seeking a part time job just so you can get by. Pennys is definitely the place to apply for. By far outstanding co-works as well.
Pros
Fun loving work environment
Cons
It can be tough on some holidays.
Coworkers
Designer (Former Employee) –  Longview, TXJune 16, 2018
JCPenney was an awesome place to work. They always had fun and everyone kinda knew each other. Different kinds of people hung out together and different work areas knew one another.
Pros
The people
Cons
Had to work weekends

55.6K
45.1K
34.3K
21.3K
11K

Diversity score

Powered by Comparably

73out of 100

The Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at JCPenney.