JCPenney Employee Reviews

nothing
Ink Tag (Former Employee) –  Wauwatosa, WIMay 18, 2018
nothing i dont have anything to say was just a temp job and i needed the money to take care of my family. The people was really nice but some employees could be really messy.
Great work environment
Customer Service Cashier (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZMay 18, 2018
Wonderful place to work both with employees and customers. Time goes by fast when you enjoy your work space. I've never had to deal with an irate customer.
Decent for seasonal
Relief Associate (Former Employee) –  Newark, DEMay 18, 2018
Unfortunately I was not able to work long for health reasons, but I enjoyed my time there. Very fast paced, with the ability to work closely with good people and customers. Everyone was nice and I got to meet some great people! Dress code was very relaxed and comfortable.
okay side job
Operation's Associate (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 18, 2018
Typical day at work you clock in, usually on your time kiosk you have what department you would be working at and what you would be doing. If you are recovery team you would be organizing your department and making sure merchandise is in the correct place if not you would take it to its correct location. If you are in dressing room you would be taking clothes out the dressing room and organizing to take to correct department dressing rooms. If you are in cashier you would check out customers merchandise, as well as recovering around the cashier if days become slow. Great managers, and enjoyable part of the job is seeing the different characters entering and exiting the store.
Pros
boost your customer service skills
Cons
not intentded for some one who wants a different routine daily.
Competitive pay and nice compensation packages.
DROP SHIP OPERATIONS SR. SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Plano, TXMay 17, 2018
A typical day at JCP can be stressful, it is a face paced environment. I have learned alot across the company in my 7 years there. There are no advancement positions in the field I am in, however compensation and paid time off are competitive. The most enjoyable part of my job are the ever evolving changes, and the creative people I have meet through the years.
Very Productive
JCPenney Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Flowood, MSMay 17, 2018
I learned a whole lot working here even though some things I already knew I just became better at. Helping customers look for items in store to helping them order and cancel orders online. I learned that customers are what make a business the business. Anytime somewhere comes in to pick up and order I was more than happy to assist them with it. Making sure all clothes and merchandise were in its correct places and keeping things nice and neat. There was not anything hard about this job, there was nothing to it but to do it and it was that simple. I enjoyed everything about this job.
productive and fun
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CAMay 17, 2018
I worked in the men's department, customer service, cash register, keeping the department clean at all time, helped customer find items on the floor or other store by searching on the computer.
Fun and a no stress place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCMay 17, 2018
JcPenny was one of the best places I have worked at. It was very fine and had very nice co-workers working with me. It was in between slow and fast paced environments depending on the days.
Fun, but very stressful
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Midlothian, VAMay 17, 2018
I loved working at JCPenney. The managers were amazing, and the majority of coworkers were too. Hardest part was the Z Racks, easiest was helping the customers.
Pros
Build friendships, discounts, flexible schedule
Cons
Short breaks, racist manager
Attendance is key
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMay 17, 2018
Good luck holding this job if you get sick. Basically is like school where you need to give warning if you cannot be there for your shift, they like 24 hours notice (but sometimes that isn't possible). Then when you go back you need a medical note to not have the attendance held against you. It's bad pay for bad hours for dealing with really bad people employee wise and customer wise. Sometimes you are the only person in your department who works, especially since most of the managers do not care about anything else you do besides credit apps. The only pro is the employee discount from what I remember 15% off. The only time that would be handy to work here is the holidays, especially black friday. You get paid really well and you can place things on hold then for the deals quite early and leave it for a bit.
Pros
Employee discount, holiday pay
Cons
attendance policy, credit apps
I wouldn't advise it....
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Pine Bluff, ARMay 17, 2018
I really would advise anyone over the age 24 to work at JCPenneys. The hours are very inconsistent. You don't get raises on a consistent basis. There's not a fair chance at advancement either. I see that as a job for young people or people trying to earn extra money.
They buy the staff lunch sometimes, most people are friendly
Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CAMay 17, 2018
JC Penny was a company I enjoyed working for about two years and it was my very first job, in my time working for the company my duties included unloading pallets from the shipment trucks, organizing and stocking merchandise from clothes, furniture, and home accessories, I learned a large amount about working retail and it was a job I really enjoyed being a part of.
Pros
Kind Staff, free Lunch sometimes
Cons
Over worked staff
Poor Management Drains Employees
Retail Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COMay 17, 2018
Don't expect much support from management, especially when dealing with an angry customer. They're much more likely to give in to the customer's demands in order to keep them as a customer than to follow corporate guidelines.
Pros
Good work/life balance
Cons
Minimal support from Management
Fun Workplace.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLMay 17, 2018
JCPenney was my first job ever. I felt comfortable and welcomed to the store when hired as an associate. I learned very quickly how to complete each task therefore making the job simple.
Good Place to Work
Merchandising Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 17, 2018
Training could be a little better but all in all a great place to work. Working hours are very good. Usually 10 to 6 or 2 to 930. Two days off a week and they try to give you one weekend a month off.
Pros
Great Affordable Health Care.
Cons
None really
Perfect first job
Jewelry Specialist and Department Lead (Former Employee) –  Coeur d'Alene, IDMay 17, 2018
Working at JCP could be stressful. There would be extremely busy days, like working on Black Friday, and at times it was a ghost town and you straighten everything in your section several times to help the hours pass.
Pros
Fun, Teaches Customer Service Skills
Cons
On your feet all day, low pay
I liked working in their Jewelry Department
Cashier/Sales (Former Employee) –  West Covina, CA 91790May 17, 2018
I worked in the jewelry department, I assisted many customers with their purchases, and then rang them up. We were given a small incentive of 1% on the purchase price of fine jewelry.
Pros
I like the hours, or my part-time position
Cons
Had to work from 11pm to 7am during the x-mas season
not good
Customer service associate (Former Employee) –  Greendale, WIMay 16, 2018
It was my first job. I worked many many hours and quit after a month. The work conditions were terrible and hours were insane. Highly suggest no one to apply here.
I intended to retire from JCP
Salon Leader (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ILMay 16, 2018
I had nothing but good experiences working for JCPenney. I was extremely taken off guard when at the end of the fiscal year I was informed my position of Salon Leader was being eliminated at the store I worked and no other position was offered.

I received a fair severance package. My store manager was sympathetic but could do nothing for me.
Pros
I worked there long enough to get a lifetime discount!
Cons
I had to start all over at an advanced age!
It was OK
Merchandise Associate (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 16, 2018
Not the place you can use your brain and figure things out. It was mostly folding clothes and cleaning departments. The employees were very "clique" like and the hours were never guaranteed.

55.5K

2.7

2.2Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight