JEFFERSON PARISH PUBLIC SCHOOL SYSTEM Employee Reviews

Teachers were beneficial to each other
Educator (Former Employee) –  Harvey, LADecember 4, 2018
Teachers assisted one another
No other positive support
The whole system needs to be revised with different people in central office to assist
Students, parents and principal were not held accountable
Nepotism occurs frequently
Teachers were the only persons held accountable
Pros
Teachers assisting teachers
Cons
No reinforcements
Loved working with children
Janitor/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Terrytown, LAOctober 29, 2018
Working with the school, Was the best job in the world. Seeing young children, learn and grow each and every day was a wonderful life experience. I was blessed
Pros
Immature children turning very bright mature adults
Cons
seeing them leave as it waa time move on in thier future
Nice work place
Monitor, Parent Liaison, Para Educator (Current Employee) –  Metairie, LAAugust 4, 2018
I love working for the school system. It does not provide enough money to live on. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with children. inspire children. The hardest part of the job is when you come across a child that you cannot make a difference.
Pros
Holidays and weekends and summers off
Cons
Rate of pay
It was very challenging work enviroment.
5th and 6th grade Reading Teacher (Former Employee) –  Harvey, LAJuly 2, 2018
It was a very challenging work environment. It was inner city on the other side of the river from New Orleans. I had just graduated from University of West Florida and this was my first teaching job.

I was very young and unexperienced. I wasn't prepared for the difficult lived my student lived and what they had to live through. It was a very tough year for me.

But I was determined to make it through the year and not walkout on my students. I felt like I made a difference in the lives of a few of them. I helped some learn to read by the time they left me that year. I felt I had accomplished what I had gone into teaching to do.
Pros
Meeting some faboulos teachers that helped me through that first year.
Cons
Struggling and worrying about students not passing state exams
Positive, family oriented, supportive work environment
Acting Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Harvey, LAJune 29, 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed my tenure with this organization. I was able to grow in leach leadership role with direct support from my supervisor.A typical work day was productive and allowed for daily goals to be achieved.
Pros
access to resources, the employees, community, students, families, lived in the parish I was employed, relationships
Support System
Assistant Principal (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJune 18, 2018
With the ever- growing and curriculum changes that occurred every year, there was always individual and group support necessary to make the transitions easier.
Support personnel in the school system was one of the most supportive ways to handle any and all situations that might arise out of one's control, either with teachers, parents, and or student issues.
Most occurrences were easily handled, but if support was necessary, was easy to find.
Pros
Great support from the School Board
Cons
Lack of parental involvement
Nice staff and students
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Metairie, LAOctober 28, 2018
I had lots of friends at my school! I love to bake desserts and was always bringing goodies to my colleagues! We worked together. Very nice staff! Children are well-behaved.
Pros
Nice staff
Cons
Too many meetings during planning periods
Every career has it's benefits!
High School Teacher & hotel concierge (Former Employee) –  Gretna, LAMay 28, 2018
I learned that teaching is a rewarding profession but can be stressful. After having worked in the hotel-guest services field, I saw that both jobs required helping the guest or student how ever you can. The most enjoyable part of both jobs was to see the guest or student appreciate you work and your help for them.
Pros
Hotels employees have trave discounts & teachers have more vacations.
Cons
When working in a hotel, you often have different schedules so you have to be flexiable.
Pay is low and no real support.
Sped teacher (Current Employee) –  Jefferson, LANovember 18, 2018
The pay is the lowest in the state. There is no real support so, pray that you have great co-workers. They put you through mindingless trainings and love to change multiple things at once.
Pros
Time off
Cons
Pay and no guidance
if youre trying to make money, do not apply
ESL/ Math Teacher (Current Employee) –  Metairie, LAOctober 6, 2018
usually if you cannot colaborate it will not work for you. you have to find many ways to suppliment your income and it is hard to survive.
i coached football and softball to be able to help out my income.
Stressful and exhausting
Teacher (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LASeptember 29, 2018
Excited first year teacher, but it felt like everyone else was just putting up with me. Administration is not helpful. HR is not helpful. Very much sink or swim, and everyone is just waiting for you to sink.
The system was supportive. Provided job security and good benefits.
LCSW (Former Employee) –  Jefferson Parish, LAJuly 16, 2018
The work with Jefferson Parish public school system was rewarding and fun. At the beginning of my career with that system I worked with elementary school students where I used play therapy individually and in group. The system was supportive of creative interventions and provided all the tools a therapist needs. Later working with upper level students provided a different opportunity to use different therapies like CBT, psychotherapy, interpersonal therapy, family therapy, group therapy, mindfulness-based therapy, etc...
The system provided a good benefit package to their employees and their families. The breaks/holidays we got with our students gave us the golden opportunity to be with our kids/family on their breaks.
Advancement was not possible in that system. The job culture of school social workers was supportive and encouraging.
Pros
Time off coincided with my daughter's school schedule.
Cons
no opportunities for advancement
Nice place of employment
Para Educator (Former Employee) –  Harvey, LAOctober 4, 2018
Hours are great if you have a family. You're home when your kids are home. Pay is not that great, but it's not all that bad either. They offer excellent benefits.
Large School System, Low Pay
Human Resources Technician (Former Employee) –  Harvey, LAMay 16, 2018
Jefferson Parish Public Schools is the largest school district in Louisiana but is currently one of the lowest paying in the region. They do however have a better work environment than the Orleans Parish schools, and they are constantly striving to improve.
teacher
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Metairie, LAJuly 22, 2018
Teacher and coach of students and work with the public School system was a reliable job with many beneftis. Working with the public and working to have constant teacherwork.
Pros
interaction with public
Cons
Paperwork
overall good experience
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Marrero, LAAugust 21, 2018
Overall good experience because I had wonderful co-workers. Pay is low compared to other districts nearby. I would recommend certain departments over others.
Pros and Cons
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Harvey, LAMarch 16, 2018
I enjoy working here at JPPSS. There are pros and cons. I love the work life balance and being in the public school system. JPPSS is large and has a way for new teachers to obtain certification if needed. One of the biggest problems is lack of training and poor ongoing development and training. Teacher retention is low. People get burned out from certain schools relatively quickly.
Pros
schedule and time off, no micro managers, job security
Cons
lack of resources for new teachers, lack of training, lack of support from admin.
Educators work day and night to prepare lessons for their students.
ESL Teacher (Former Employee) –  Jefferson Parish, LAApril 2, 2018
Educators work day and night to prepare lessons for their students. Jefferson Parish Public Schools provide great training to support their educators. I would work at Jefferson Parish Public Schools again, if the right opportunity is offered.
Pros
I love my students
Enjoyalbe Time
Substitute Teacher Aide (Former Employee) –  Harvey, LAJanuary 30, 2018
My job with the JPSS was short lived. I was hired as a long term paraprofessional in January for a lady that was retiring at the end of that particular school year, and for a lady who took a leave at the beginning of the school year, but would be returning in January.

The work day was fine and my duties was just as I expected. I worked with my students and gained a rapport with all of the students.

There was no hard part of my job as I thoroughly enjoy working with and teaching the future leaders of tomorrow.
Teachers are not given support and blamed for everything
Math Teacher (Current Employee) –  Metairie, LAMarch 14, 2018
Teachers while they are the first line of training for the future members of the United States work force are blamed for every flaw in the education system and given little materials and little support for the overwhelming task.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at JEFFERSON PARISH PUBLIC SCHOOL SYSTEM. Our community is ready to answer.