JEFFERSON PARISH PUBLIC SCHOOL SYSTEM Employee Reviews

Educators work day and night to prepare lessons for their students.
ESL Teacher (Former Employee) –  Jefferson Parish, LAApril 2, 2018
Educators work day and night to prepare lessons for their students. Jefferson Parish Public Schools provide great training to support their educators. I would work at Jefferson Parish Public Schools again, if the right opportunity is offered.
Pros
I love my students
Poor Leadership
8th Grade Math Teacher (Current Employee) –  Marrero, LAMarch 20, 2018
As an employee of eleven years in this school system, I found the leadership to be non-existent. It is the typical, south Louisiana "Good ole boy" system. It was a horrible place to work.
Pros and Cons
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Harvey, LAMarch 16, 2018
I enjoy working here at JPPSS. There are pros and cons. I love the work life balance and being in the public school system. JPPSS is large and has a way for new teachers to obtain certification if needed. One of the biggest problems is lack of training and poor ongoing development and training. Teacher retention is low. People get burned out from certain schools relatively quickly.
Pros
schedule and time off, no micro managers, job security
Cons
lack of resources for new teachers, lack of training, lack of support from admin.
Teachers are not given support and blamed for everything
Math Teacher (Current Employee) –  Metairie, LAMarch 14, 2018
Teachers while they are the first line of training for the future members of the United States work force are blamed for every flaw in the education system and given little materials and little support for the overwhelming task.
Good Place to work
Teacher/Coach (Current Employee) –  Gretna, LAFebruary 13, 2018
It is a good place to work, just looking for a change of pace, new environment and better compensation for the work hours I put in ............................................
Unproductive workplace
Teacher (Current Employee) –  United StatesFebruary 1, 2018
Job changed over the coarse of the last twelve years that I have worked in the school system. The job became the opposite of what I originally was drawn to it for.
Enjoyalbe Time
Substitute Teacher Aide (Former Employee) –  Harvey, LAJanuary 30, 2018
My job with the JPSS was short lived. I was hired as a long term paraprofessional in January for a lady that was retiring at the end of that particular school year, and for a lady who took a leave at the beginning of the school year, but would be returning in January.

The work day was fine and my duties was just as I expected. I worked with my students and gained a rapport with all of the students.

There was no hard part of my job as I thoroughly enjoy working with and teaching the future leaders of tomorrow.
Nice place to work.
Payroll Clerk (Current Employee) –  Harvey, LAJanuary 16, 2018
Nice place to work and to learn. I would type, print, and budget school budgets. I am a team player and help others. Enter data for payroll, accounts payable, and budgets.
Summary
Non-Certified Science Teacher West (Current Employee) –  Harvey, LA 70058January 10, 2018
My current role consists of assisting the teacher as a paraprofessional. I perform many duties to ensure that students meet their desired expectation and I in the classroom to aid the student's overall growth.

I am very familiar with my role and have performed this role previously from 2000-2005 with the New Orleans Public School.

Management in my current role is sort of unusual and awkward. There is a lack of communication that takes place and make my job very uncomfortable and not valued as an employee.

The hardest part of my job is the lack of support by administration and not feeling connected with each other as a unit in my current role. My previous role within JPPSS was incredible and amazing and the supports which was provided a my former school was awesome.

The most enjoyable part of my job is showing up daily to breathe hope, love, knowledge, encouragement, and determination in the lives of the students that I serve and meet daily.
Pros
Working with Students
Cons
Lack of Support by Administration
Licensed Clinical Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Harvey, LADecember 19, 2017
Counseled students
Consulted with teachers and other staff members
Documented services
Developed behavioral plans
Check attendance; and
Made referrals
Pros
work environment
Very productive
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Jefferson Parish, LANovember 8, 2017
It's a good place to be an owner operator. You're basically working for yourself. All the benefits are very good. You at least work 30 hours a week. You also can earn extra wages.
No place to work if you're ambitious, educated, and not politically connected
Human Resources Representative (Former Employee) –  Harvey, LAOctober 14, 2017
Must be content with working in a stagnant environment and with co workers who possess little work ethic or ambition. Typically very little cohesion within units and most people are only looking out for themselves. Toxic work environment that only encourages lack of trust and team throughout the office. Salary is definitely not commensurate with experience or ability. Everyone with the same title makes the same salary and receives the same step increase each year, assuming the step increases haven't been temporarily taken away due to budget issues.
job
Monitor (Current Employee) –  Harvey, LAMay 31, 2017
I love my job, I love the children as well as the adults that I work with. I would work year round with the children and help them learn if I could.
Children as well as adults are a pride in the workplace
Pros
helping children
Cons
summer
Productive but stressful
School Psychologist (Former Employee) –  Marrero, LAMay 11, 2017
This job is always under-staffed and under-paid. In the nine years I worked there I only got a cost of living raise twice. The school board and superintendent froze our salaries five years in a row.
Pros
Great people!
Cons
Administration did not listen to any of our suggestions
Health and Physical Education Teacher
Teacher /Coach (Former Employee) –  Metairie, LAApril 19, 2017
I was in charge of setup up the equipment for the day. Scheduling and setting up events. I learned how to have patience. Large classes with up to 60 to 70 kids per PE class.
A rewarding experience
Paraprofessional / Sub teacher / Clerk (Current Employee) –  Jefferson Parish, LAApril 8, 2017
A rewarding experience to assist and be apart of the educational development of children. Building a solid foundation and preparation to excel to the next level
Pros
Educating children
Cons
Establishing a permanent position with a school instead of floating
Don't do it
School Psychologist (Former Employee) –  Jefferson, LAApril 7, 2017
This parish has undergone significant staffing and budget cuts that have resulted in tremendous amounts of clerical work being placed on professionals hired to serve children. The amount of work demanded reduces overall quality of service delivery. Until the system is overhauled....proceed with extreme caution.
Pros
Cons
to many to list
Faculty and staff were wiling to try new approaches to help students achieve.
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Gretna, LAFebruary 13, 2017
The school was willing to try new methods to help students reach their potential. The various departments worked collectively in trying to make lessons more effective. In science, the teachers used technology to help the students understand difficult concepts. The most enjoyable part of teaching here was seeing the students' faces when they grasped a difficult concept. The hardest part of the job was realizing that not all of the students were interested in the subjects being taught.
Pros
Teacher collaboratioon
Cons
class size
Work Atmosphere
Educational Diagnostician (Former Employee) –  Gretna, LAJanuary 26, 2017
A typical day involved, school team meeting regarding interventions for students with disabilities. Parent/Teacher consultations; student/classroom observations; small group/individual student assessments and instruction; development of teaching strategies in conjunction with teacher, student and parents; team building; time management; open communications between school personnel and parents; Management was as supportive, given the work load and the number of employees in specific department; workplace culture was somewhat fractured in that it was difficult to enlist assistance from co-workers;minimal interaction with colleagues and job orientation; most difficult part of the job was working in a vacuum; peer relations were enjoyable, if you had time to cultivate such.
Pros
Work Year; Holidays; Ability to make daily schedule;
Cons
Paperwork; Orientation pertaining to rules and requirements of Jefferson Parish School System.
good place
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Harvey, LAJanuary 25, 2017
its a good place, sometimes paperwork gets lost. The culture really depends on the school. I enjoy the school I work at. Just like any place you work there will be things you don't like.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at JEFFERSON PARISH PUBLIC SCHOOL SYSTEM. Our community is ready to answer.

JEFFERSON PARISH PUBLIC SCHOOL SYSTEM Reviews by Location