JEFFERSON PARISH PUBLIC SCHOOL SYSTEM Employee Reviews

Nice work place
Monitor, Parent Liaison, Para Educator (Current Employee) –  Metairie, LAAugust 4, 2018
I love working for the school system. It does not provide enough money to live on. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with children. inspire children. The hardest part of the job is when you come across a child that you cannot make a difference.
Pros
Holidays and weekends and summers off
Cons
Rate of pay
teacher
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Metairie, LAJuly 22, 2018
Teacher and coach of students and work with the public School system was a reliable job with many beneftis. Working with the public and working to have constant teacherwork.
Pros
interaction with public
Cons
Paperwork
The system was supportive. Provided job security and good benefits.
LCSW (Former Employee) –  Jefferson Parish, LAJuly 16, 2018
The work with Jefferson Parish public school system was rewarding and fun. At the beginning of my career with that system I worked with elementary school students where I used play therapy individually and in group. The system was supportive of creative interventions and provided all the tools a therapist needs. Later working with upper level students provided a different opportunity to use different therapies like CBT, psychotherapy, interpersonal therapy, family therapy, group therapy, mindfulness-based therapy, etc...
The system provided a good benefit package to their employees and their families. The breaks/holidays we got with our students gave us the golden opportunity to be with our kids/family on their breaks.
Advancement was not possible in that system. The job culture of school social workers was supportive and encouraging.
Pros
Time off coincided with my daughter's school schedule.
Cons
no opportunities for advancement
It was very challenging work enviroment.
5th and 6th grade Reading Teacher (Former Employee) –  Harvey, LAJuly 2, 2018
It was a very challenging work environment. It was inner city on the other side of the river from New Orleans. I had just graduated from University of West Florida and this was my first teaching job.

I was very young and unexperienced. I wasn't prepared for the difficult lived my student lived and what they had to live through. It was a very tough year for me.

But I was determined to make it through the year and not walkout on my students. I felt like I made a difference in the lives of a few of them. I helped some learn to read by the time they left me that year. I felt I had accomplished what I had gone into teaching to do.
Pros
Meeting some faboulos teachers that helped me through that first year.
Cons
Struggling and worrying about students not passing state exams
Positive, family oriented, supportive work environment
Acting Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Harvey, LAJune 29, 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed my tenure with this organization. I was able to grow in leach leadership role with direct support from my supervisor.A typical work day was productive and allowed for daily goals to be achieved.
Pros
access to resources, the employees, community, students, families, lived in the parish I was employed, relationships
Support System
Assistant Principal (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJune 18, 2018
With the ever- growing and curriculum changes that occurred every year, there was always individual and group support necessary to make the transitions easier.
Support personnel in the school system was one of the most supportive ways to handle any and all situations that might arise out of one's control, either with teachers, parents, and or student issues.
Most occurrences were easily handled, but if support was necessary, was easy to find.
Pros
Great support from the School Board
Cons
Lack of parental involvement
Every career has it's benefits!
High School Teacher & hotel concierge (Former Employee) –  Gretna, LAMay 28, 2018
I learned that teaching is a rewarding profession but can be stressful. After having worked in the hotel-guest services field, I saw that both jobs required helping the guest or student how ever you can. The most enjoyable part of both jobs was to see the guest or student appreciate you work and your help for them.
Pros
Hotels employees have trave discounts & teachers have more vacations.
Cons
When working in a hotel, you often have different schedules so you have to be flexiable.
Large School System, Low Pay
Human Resources Technician (Former Employee) –  Harvey, LAMay 16, 2018
Jefferson Parish Public Schools is the largest school district in Louisiana but is currently one of the lowest paying in the region. They do however have a better work environment than the Orleans Parish schools, and they are constantly striving to improve.
Educators work day and night to prepare lessons for their students.
ESL Teacher (Former Employee) –  Jefferson Parish, LAApril 2, 2018
Educators work day and night to prepare lessons for their students. Jefferson Parish Public Schools provide great training to support their educators. I would work at Jefferson Parish Public Schools again, if the right opportunity is offered.
Pros
I love my students
Poor Leadership
8th Grade Math Teacher (Current Employee) –  Marrero, LAMarch 20, 2018
As an employee of eleven years in this school system, I found the leadership to be non-existent. It is the typical, south Louisiana "Good ole boy" system. It was a horrible place to work.
Pros and Cons
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Harvey, LAMarch 16, 2018
I enjoy working here at JPPSS. There are pros and cons. I love the work life balance and being in the public school system. JPPSS is large and has a way for new teachers to obtain certification if needed. One of the biggest problems is lack of training and poor ongoing development and training. Teacher retention is low. People get burned out from certain schools relatively quickly.
Pros
schedule and time off, no micro managers, job security
Cons
lack of resources for new teachers, lack of training, lack of support from admin.
Teachers are not given support and blamed for everything
Math Teacher (Current Employee) –  Metairie, LAMarch 14, 2018
Teachers while they are the first line of training for the future members of the United States work force are blamed for every flaw in the education system and given little materials and little support for the overwhelming task.
Good Place to work
Teacher/Coach (Current Employee) –  Gretna, LAFebruary 13, 2018
It is a good place to work, just looking for a change of pace, new environment and better compensation for the work hours I put in ............................................
Unproductive workplace
Teacher (Current Employee) –  United StatesFebruary 1, 2018
Job changed over the coarse of the last twelve years that I have worked in the school system. The job became the opposite of what I originally was drawn to it for.
Enjoyalbe Time
Substitute Teacher Aide (Former Employee) –  Harvey, LAJanuary 30, 2018
My job with the JPSS was short lived. I was hired as a long term paraprofessional in January for a lady that was retiring at the end of that particular school year, and for a lady who took a leave at the beginning of the school year, but would be returning in January.

The work day was fine and my duties was just as I expected. I worked with my students and gained a rapport with all of the students.

There was no hard part of my job as I thoroughly enjoy working with and teaching the future leaders of tomorrow.
Nice place to work.
Payroll Clerk (Current Employee) –  Harvey, LAJanuary 16, 2018
Nice place to work and to learn. I would type, print, and budget school budgets. I am a team player and help others. Enter data for payroll, accounts payable, and budgets.
Summary
Non-Certified Science Teacher West (Current Employee) –  Harvey, LA 70058January 10, 2018
My current role consists of assisting the teacher as a paraprofessional. I perform many duties to ensure that students meet their desired expectation and I in the classroom to aid the student's overall growth.

I am very familiar with my role and have performed this role previously from 2000-2005 with the New Orleans Public School.

Management in my current role is sort of unusual and awkward. There is a lack of communication that takes place and make my job very uncomfortable and not valued as an employee.

The hardest part of my job is the lack of support by administration and not feeling connected with each other as a unit in my current role. My previous role within JPPSS was incredible and amazing and the supports which was provided a my former school was awesome.

The most enjoyable part of my job is showing up daily to breathe hope, love, knowledge, encouragement, and determination in the lives of the students that I serve and meet daily.
Pros
Working with Students
Cons
Lack of Support by Administration
Licensed Clinical Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Harvey, LADecember 19, 2017
Counseled students
Consulted with teachers and other staff members
Documented services
Developed behavioral plans
Check attendance; and
Made referrals
Pros
work environment
Very productive
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Jefferson Parish, LANovember 8, 2017
It's a good place to be an owner operator. You're basically working for yourself. All the benefits are very good. You at least work 30 hours a week. You also can earn extra wages.
No place to work if you're ambitious, educated, and not politically connected
Human Resources Representative (Former Employee) –  Harvey, LAOctober 14, 2017
Must be content with working in a stagnant environment and with co workers who possess little work ethic or ambition. Typically very little cohesion within units and most people are only looking out for themselves. Toxic work environment that only encourages lack of trust and team throughout the office. Salary is definitely not commensurate with experience or ability. Everyone with the same title makes the same salary and receives the same step increase each year, assuming the step increases haven't been temporarily taken away due to budget issues.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at JEFFERSON PARISH PUBLIC SCHOOL SYSTEM. Our community is ready to answer.

JEFFERSON PARISH PUBLIC SCHOOL SYSTEM Reviews by Location