Jennie-O Turkey Store Employee Reviews

Stay away, the health insurance/benefits aren't worth it.
Poultry Worker (Current Employee) –  Detroit Lakes, MNNovember 8, 2018
Felon friendly employer but high turnover. If you must work here don't chose it as a career. Employees are treated like the turkeys, a disposable commodity. You can go above and beyond but won't be rewarded for your efforts. You ultimately end up feeling used and abused by the long hours and broken promises of advancement into low paying lead, maintenance or office positions.. There's lots of swapping positions: "promotion" and demotion but you do the jobs of others anyway but don't get paid for it (sanitation, lead, tech, etc..). Management constantly has you feeling inept. Everyday brings a new fresh horror. The benefits and ok wage keep you trapped. The only way to make money here is the overtime (of which there is plenty). It's easy to get hired but hard to stay.
Pros
Benefits, overtime, felon friendly, multicultural
Cons
Everything else
It was a job
Boiler operator (Former Employee) –  Faribault, MNNovember 7, 2018
Mostly good co-workers, management was very lacking and only cared about themselves and how they were perceived by their uppers. I would never go back there again.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
To many to list
Bad Experience
Distribution Specialist (Former Employee) –  Barron, WIOctober 6, 2018
Typical day at Turkey Store was stressful. Worked in shipping the work load for Second shift seemed unfair. Really didn't learn anything from there. The management seemed like they didn't care about the department.
Pros
Breaks where nice
Cons
Cold
Poor Management
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Faribault, MNOctober 4, 2018
Every one else is nice and outgoing it’s nice place to work but Poor Management specially the plant manager, the place is one men’s show

HR are super Cool
Typical Work day in the Order Entry Department
Customer Service Order Entry (Current Employee) –  Barron, WISeptember 30, 2018
I answer phone calls, enter orders and regular orders, Transfer pounds from state accounts into the schools that need the pounds. File, work with me Brokers and RBMs. Enter Sample orders that are sent out to our customers. Deal with shortages on orders
Great place to work if you are single, living at home, and have zero time for loved ones, friends or the like.
Maintenance Lead Mechanic (Current Employee) –  MinnesotaSeptember 28, 2018
If you are single, have no children or social life.....this is the place for you.
My reasoning behind this is very poor planning due to management and improper staffing.
Pros
Paychecks
Cons
Too long to list
Good Constant Work but Stressful
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Pelican Rapids, MinnesotaSeptember 26, 2018
The work is stressful most of the time.

1st shift gets to leave at their normal time daily while anyone on nights may put in 11 hours plus to finish everything. Need equality in shift times. Times for second shift are mid afternoon to finish so you get no evening time and very little day time activities at home. Some nights you finish early but very rare.

You cannot rely on people to show up and employees take advantage of the attendance and disciplinary system. HR sends not the best people to nights as well to work many lines and good candidates go to days or QA. Was also told often to go do the work of line employees if they did not show up.

The company itself has great things to offer, holiday bonuses, stock, etc. but the plant needs help on scheduling, hiring, and making things better.
Pros
Holiday bonuses, stock purchases, cheap products
Cons
long hours on nights.
Competitive place
Line Worker and Lead Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Willmar, MNSeptember 22, 2018
Had a very good experience and training while a was working there, I totally recommend this factory to anyone out there looking for a good place for work.
Pros
Not ne
Cons
Nonr
No two days the same with a variety of duties.
Farm Assistant (Former Employee) –  Verndale, MNSeptember 13, 2018
Fast paced, a variety of duties, no two days the same. Awesome support of co-workers/supervisors. The workplace culture is very casual. Everyone I worked with from the farm workers to upper management were awesome. Some times stressful with market sample deadlines, med requests, as well as inventory reports and end of month accounting duties.
Pros
Truckload sale, benefits
Make up their own stipulations when you were to be promoted
Farm Assistant Manager in training (Former Employee) –  Henning, MNAugust 28, 2018
When interviewed for this job was for the Assistant Manager but they make you start as a Farm worker. If I would of known they were not going to make me a assistant after 90 days I would of never taken the job.
My manager was not able to train me when I started. So they had someone else train me. When she saw me doing things she would say I'm doing it wrong. Then would say that the other person would not of trained me that way. Really? The manager ended up making it unbearable to want to work there. I love to work and try to do things the correct way all the time. Hopefully, with knowing I was supposed to be trained as a Farm Manager Assistant. Which I had planned on staying with the company because of that. After the proper time came and went. No one said anything. I kept bringing it up. Finally one of the manager said they spoke to the head person at Jennie O advised me within a couple weeks everything should be good to go. Nothing happened. Asked multiple times. Then they said I am not getting the position. They said I took off a couple days back months ago that since they were not a paid time off it went against me. Really? I had not ever called in sick. Had to use my paid time off prior as my husband passed away and didn't have any more days. So I advised them I would take them unpaid as I had family who could finally come see me after my husband's passing. Manager said no problem. I know for a fact she did not want or believe that they needed Farm assistant managers as she didn't like what the company wanted. I believe she purposely sabotaged anything I did to move
  more... up. In the end she made it tougher and tougher to want to be there. Ridiculed not only me but seen it to other workers.
Loved caring for the turkeys the only thing that made my day.
Pros
Work hours good, health care
Cons
harsh, chemicals

Want to know more about Jennie-O Turkey Store?

Ask a question
Not worth working for
Machine Operator/Assembler (Former Employee) –  Willmar, MNAugust 22, 2018
Needs alot of work in Cultural relations horrible too American Citizens that work their most of their Live's . Becareful very bias too American's can come off Racial that's the Truth ask around word of the Mouth.
Line Operator (Former Employee) –  Barron, WIAugust 13, 2018
It was a fast pace environment that taught a lot of what consistency should look like. It also showed me that day in and day out I still needed to give 100%. It was hard on my hands and body only due to my height and frame. I thought my boss was great, and in fact he encouraged me as a young adult to continue pursing college.
Good company
Jennie-o floater (Current Employee) –  Altura, MNAugust 10, 2018
I like it here a lot but it just isn’t a lot of hours and I need to make more money then they have work for. Would be a nice side job to be able to get off around noon.
Pros
Good company
Cons
Bad hours
Actually not a bad place to work.
White meat boneing (Former Employee) –  Barron, WIJuly 28, 2018
My boss was very nice and understanding. It was a nice dept to work in other then people standing around not working. Or leaving when there was re-work. Definitely no team work going on and people not disciplined for not doing it.
Pros
Discounts, and cool dept 45°
Cons
No discipline
Hard, Dirty work for adequate pay
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Medford, MNJuly 25, 2018
Turkey barns are very dirty. Gross air, gross ground, gross dead turkeys. The management doesnt care much for cleanliness even in the areas they have control over like the rest rooms. Hard sweaty work but it pays okay.
Good for the area
Raw Materials Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Willmar, MNJuly 24, 2018
I worked at Jennie-O for 7.5 years. I started in the shipping department then worked up to a lead and back up supervisor before moving into the corporate office. For the most part I enjoyed my job. I had two incompetent supervisors originally and but my last one is corporate was wonderful. I left Jennie O for two reasons I was picking up a lot of extra work because the company was trying to save money so when someone else quit I got to share part of their job with 3 other people so the company didn’t have to hire a new person. And I didn’t think that was fair. The other reason I quit was they kept making empty promises. I was doing presentations for VPs and Directlrs however when I asked for a raise they would say yeah just give us till the end of the month. But it was always the next month. I just got tired of waiting. Two years of waiting.
Pros
People are wonderful
Cons
Empty promises
The job was very physical
Egg picker/ AI (Former Employee) –  Barron, WIJuly 14, 2018
We had to handle over 4000 birds a day and not one of them didn’t fight back and was easy to handle. We only got one 30 minute break and that wasn’t enough for how physical it was. We had to wear dusk mask but that didn’t help when you have to breathe heavy in a very dusty environment.
Very good
Assistant Lead (Former Employee) –  Barron, WIJuly 8, 2018
I loved working there and the environment was good. Always had something to do and everyone was on the same pace and no one was ever out of line and supervisors always help when needed
Full of petty people, inept leaders, and lots of BS to handle
Worker (Current Employee) –  Barron, WIJuly 3, 2018
I am still here, but there really isnt anything making me to want to stay. Its just a cesspool of lazy people, management thats as useful as a car without an engine, and everything is always broken.
Pros
Lots of hours and a decent payrate
Cons
Short breaks, lots of work, bad management, petty coworkers
Do not believe everything they tell you.
Live Production Accounts Payable Specialist (Former Employee) –  Barron, WIJune 27, 2018
I enjoyed working with them for many years until it started to change when the upper management started to change because of people retiring. Everyone was treated the same until that time. Now the upper management believe themselves to be better than the rest of their workers. I believe us at the bottom are what support the upper management and without us they would not have jobs. They really should be more supportive, and contrary to what they say, they do not give anyone a second chance. But they do have good benefits.
benefits
Cons
do not really care about the employees

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Jennie-O Turkey Store. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

3.7InHerSight Score

3.8Personal Development

3.8Career Opportunities

3.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight