Jet Propulsion Laboratory Employee Reviews

4.2
Ratings breakdown
Fantastic learning opportunity, lacking in meaningful work
SUMMER INTERN (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAJuly 10, 2018
My experience as an intern at JPL was wonderful for my career advancement and for encouraging me to go into the space industry as a whole. However, as an intern it was hard for me to feel as though my work and my job mattered.
JPL is a fantastic place for professionals seeking a non-profit/govt/academia culture to spend part of their career.
WORK CONTRACT ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAJune 24, 2018
JPL is a culture where technical professionals can flourish. Technical professionals will also work with and learn from some of the best mentors in their professions. It is a good culture for industry business professionals to be exposed to the unique operating culture of this organization to position them to be better able to understand JPL/NASA as a customer/partner once they enter the for-profit industry side of the community.
Pros
flexible, relaxed, entrepreneurial culture with highly skilled workforce
Cons
sometimes behind the broader business operations curve in culture and practices
see below
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAMay 30, 2018
Great place to work at, need great customer service for gift shop greeting and selling merchandise. its a government facility and its not open to the public so there is a limited amount of people you work with.
Pros
weekends off
Business Admin Intern Review
Business/Financial Operations Lead (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAMay 22, 2018
Pros
- Very academic like culture
- Work life balance is prioritized

Cons
- Government like slow pace
- Roles can be very rigid and career advancement can be a challenge
Lots of experienced people to learn from
Engineering Technician Level 2 (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CAMay 9, 2018
Love working at JPL, get to learn new things daily, get to experience working with engineers and techs whom have been in the aerospace industry for 30+ years.
Pros
relaxed enviornment
Cons
short lunches
JPL is a very high technical wonder and working in that environment makes you perform above your standard or level of experience.
Senior Business Contractor Analyst (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAMay 1, 2018
Great place to work with many very smart people working on launches of planned space events.

The management at the facility were very accommodating to me and to have computer time scheduled to complete my job on a timely basis..
Interesting experience but poor management
Executive Administrative (Former Employee) –  Pasadena CaliforniaApril 30, 2018
Provided support to several directors. People disliked my managers intensely but I did not understand until I left. After I did, several employees told me I was the 23rd person to leave because of my manager's character and that his own wife had killed herself because of his treatment. The people in that department were always fearful of losing their jobs and they were jealous of mine and treated me unfairly because of it. I could not wait to leave.
Pros
Liked the wildlife. JPL is like no place you will ever work.
Cons
Scary management, lots of jealousy between employees, a dog-eat-dog, stab you in the back type of atmosphere, could not wait to leave.
Overall exciting place to work
System Administrator II (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAMarch 22, 2018
JPL has given me great opportunity to learn all that I have learned and being a part of the excitement has been amazing! I especially liked having the opportunity to work the 9/80 work schedule.
Pros
Fun and exciting place to work. The 9/80 workweek.
Cons
Poor management where I worked.
No better product to be associated with
Project Manager- Management System Compliance (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CAMarch 21, 2018
Working at an organization tasked with the exploration of Universe and the advancement of science is truly rewarding. JPL is home to leaders in their field of science and engineering advancement. It is a campus environment that makes for a comfortable and exhilarating work environment.
Pros
Work environment, talened staff
Excellent
Project Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAMarch 14, 2018
Best place to work whether young or old. Great people and projects of all sorts. Relaxed dress code and atmosphere, so you feel comfortable daily. Recommend.
Pleasant environment
Contract Technical Manager (CTM)- Outsourcing (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CAFebruary 28, 2018
Dream job. Always wanted to work at JPL. Besides the pleasant working environment, opportunities to learn and advance is limitless. The Lab has the campus atmosphere and makes you feel you're back in college.
Shuttle Service to Campus
software engineer (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CAFebruary 28, 2018
My main complaint is that JPL stopped a shuttle service that goes between the metro to campus. The city bus that takes this route is always full and unreliable, plus it comes only during certain times and the frequency is 30 minutes. If you miss it, then your in trouble.

I hate that they are soo cheap as to refuse to provide such a shuttle service, but spend millions on promotion videos and such.
Great place to work!
Sensor system engineer in Galileo Program (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAFebruary 8, 2018
JPL develops advanced technology and has many talented engineers and scientist working there. JPL is a the forefront of research on the space related sciences,
Exciting, sometimes stressful, always amazing place to work
Member of the Mars FSW Test team (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CAJanuary 29, 2018
Arrive by 6:45am, start in on test development strategies. Work diligently, collaborate with others on strategy. Write test scripts, test them locally. Book time in the testbeds. Take tests to be formally tested. Gather results and post them.

I have learned so much from the people I work with. They are brilliant amazing people who have keep my hope for future generations positive. Management is wonderful . Hardest part of the job is the hour and half commute each way. Most enjoyable part of the job is the satisfaction of seeing all our hard work pay off.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Commute
Very supportive place to work
Radiometric Data Conditioning Team Member (Former Employee) –  La Canada, CAJanuary 26, 2018
JPL was an enjoyable experience as I was surrounded by many different types of people and specialties. My supervisors were always very patient and supportive and great teachers.
It's Not What You've Heard
Various Positions (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAJanuary 25, 2018
If you're into technology, be prepared that after 5 years, your knowledge is obsolete and can't be used anywhere else! Also, certain positions run out of funds, so good luck on looking for another job! I know, because there have been so many scientists and engineers shared with me about their fear for having a job tomorrow!

If you're after promotion, forget it, unless you are VERY well liked by the supervisors or management! If you think you'll get promoted based on working hard and being there for so long, forget it, it's all about who the supervisor or management likes, not about what you know!

Certain positions do not even have the potential of promotions, you're at a dead-end job! Certain positions, there have no promotions for years to come (unless there's a drastic change in organizations, or your boss wins the lottery, or dies!) You are stuck in the position with a pay raise of less than 3-5% per year if you are lucky!

The benefits are good, you get 403B (but no pensions), dental, and vision. This is about the only decent part of working at JPL!
Benefits
Cons
No promotions, no training, and no career growth!
Great Atmosphere
Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CAJanuary 9, 2018
Jet Propulsion Laboratory is an amazing place to work. Not only are you surrounded by some of the greatest minds on the planet, but they are all very supportive and establish a positive work environment that values both education as well as experience
Exciting learning environment
Power Systems Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CADecember 13, 2017
Jet Propulsion Laboratory is a fun environment for opportunities to see and learn from many disciplines and experiences. In the environment of a university, there are some opportunities for technical advancement.
JPL Mission is exciting - sending robotic explorers to space
Compensation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CANovember 13, 2017
The work I did was interesting and rewarding, but got lost amongst other organization priorities. I was given the opportunity to influence all manner of recognition programs, which was extremely fulfilling. A typical day would include researching industry trends, answering strategic questions on JPL recognition programs, and providing ad hoc support of Compensation activities.
Pros
Alternate Workweek Schedule
Cons
Limited advancement opportunities
science
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CANovember 10, 2017
discover the universe, lots of stress, very demanding, great people to work with.

review contracts, interface with NASA and DOD

most enjoyable was work with acedemia