Jewel Osco Employee Reviews

Found 2,387 reviews matching the search See all 2,391 reviews
Horrible place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Clinton, IAFebruary 13, 2019
I absolutely hated my job. I was a cashier. I'm a people person that has never met a stranger. But this job was so depressing. The managers were horrible to work for. They were very rude. Talked about everyone to other employees. They were not fair with the workers at all. They showed favoritism. Two baggers would be at one register talking while the cashiers on express lane bagged her groceries most of her shift. What was good for one employee was not good for the next one. You only got one 10 minute break for a 5 hour shift.would never recommend this job to anyone! !
Pros
Cons
Short breaks, have favorites, poor work ethics. Low pay
fast paced
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Park Ridge, ILFebruary 10, 2019
very fast paced and, enjoyed people I worked with, stressful at times. enjoyed employee discounts. management was difficult to work with at times, felt taken advantage at times.
Pros
discounts
Cons
felt taken advantage at times
Not Worth it
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 10, 2019
This place was very stressful. They offered me more responsibility with little to no compensation. Some management was not sensitive to the needs of their employees which lead to an even more stressful environment. Employees also were not very well protected.
Pros
leaving
Cons
clocking in
Its a joke
Dehil clerk (Current Employee) –  Silvis, ILFebruary 8, 2019
They promise many hours but lie. They throw you around like in an abusive relationship. Favoritism is seen allot. Management will put you at 16 hours every week to kick you out and then lie that they hate to see you go.
Pros
A few weeks of good hours
Cons
They lie allot and will get you for anything
Horrible management and expectations
Front End Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 7, 2019
Not a great place to work. Management expects things that just cant get done. Working off the clock is expected. Pay is not commiserate to work completed.
Was Great For A While
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Elgin, ILFebruary 6, 2019
It is a good temporary part time job. However in the long run, you're better off elsewhere. Eventually I got capped off on raises. I'd understand that is a thing however minimum wage has gone up in the county my Jewel is located in so now people who are starting get paid the same. Other than that, the people are great. Hours are given based on seniority and availability. Schedule is inconsistent though.
Pros
5% discount on everything. 10% discount on store brand items.
Cons
Inconsistent schedule
Not sure
Bagger/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Romeoville, ILFebruary 6, 2019
I really didn't like the job and how they treated custerms someine time even the employees they weren't nice at all very rude and didn't care if you were sick or had family emergency
Pros
Really dont have anything
Cons
Short break
It was okay
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Wauconda, ILFebruary 6, 2019
I feel like I wasn't properly trained to be a cashier. They did not show me how to fully work the cashier machine. But, they did show me how to use the cash machine.
Not very pleasant place to work at
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Wheaton, ILFebruary 5, 2019
Management is pushy with having people pick up shifts.
Management almost always defends the customers and will not defend the employee, The very personification of " The customer is always right " mentality.

There is a lot of drama between co-workers, which cause a lot of people to quit.
This job feels like a 2nd high school, with all the drama and mostly working with people that you went to high school with.

They are flexible with requesting off days, as long as you live 2 weeks advance notice.

15 minutes breaks are very strictly enforced, from the time you are told to take your break to when you come back to your work station.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Short breaks, bad management
Bad experience
Deli Clerk/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Merrionette Park, ILFebruary 2, 2019
Bad management, racial profiling , friends & family favoritism, not all a bad experience, but overall bad...Cant judge all locations just the one I was at.

Want to know more about Jewel Osco?

Ask a question
I hated this job
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 1, 2019
This job is for teenagers. No way to make a living on this wage. The discount sucks and there are no benefits unless you are full time management. Wasn't the job for me.
Very productive
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Evanston, ILJanuary 31, 2019
I loved working at Jewel Osco I was very mad I had to relocate but the cost of living in Illinois was very high and I have three kids I only had two at the time and one on the way if I ever decide to move back to illinois I would definitely go back
hard
Produce Associate (Former Employee) –  Hickory Hills, ILJanuary 30, 2019
Lifting 50lb boxes repetitively through a 8 hour shift is very hard labor. It is back breaking. Injuries will happen if not aware of what you are doing. For the amount of work you do, the pay is not worth it. Union dues are taken out week, and with the small amount of money when you get your check...it's just not worth it.
Fast paced environment, short staffed but management is helpful. Just need more workforce.
Overnight Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Glen Ellyn, ILJanuary 27, 2019
Need improvement in employee benefits and compensation. Very flexible with your availability. Management tries to help but will definitely need more people and improve workforce to avoid overworked employees.
Pros
Flexible
Amazing team a pleasure to work at.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILJanuary 25, 2019
I learned many skills that benefited me as a customer service worker. Best job I've ever had, the management were very professional and understanding.
Fun wotkplace
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL 60617January 24, 2019
Very fast paced work pace. Very nice customer service. Efficient with anything you need. Nice overtime hours. Management very nice. Great benefits and Union discounts.
Bad
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 24, 2019
The store I worked at was complete filth there was bad food put out on display all the time, the management clearly didn't know what they were doing and it's just a really bad place to work at.
Collaborative workplace that teaches good teamwork
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Hoffman Estates, ILJanuary 23, 2019
In every department in the store certain things need to be done and the manager isn't necessarily always there to tell you what needs to be done. This forces employees to collaborate and create a plan to get things done
typical day of work
Assistant Deli Service Manager Assisting customers (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 23, 2019
Most days were helping senior citizens to understand how their deli items were served and how to keep them as fresh as possible, I also helped many people with other items besides the sliced meats and cheeses. I had to order inventory and do other
Pros
Very quiet employee break room
Cons
not adequate compensation
N/a
Front End Cashier (Former Employee) –  Wheaton, ILJanuary 22, 2019
It was years ago when I worked there. The management was not very put together from what I remember. There were a few problems with them. Most of the problem was dealing with that and the people.