Jewish Association on Aging Employee Reviews

Excellent work culture
Occupational Therapist (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 13, 2019
I worked PRN as OT. I had great management who truly cared about patients an employee retention. The therapy department in home health was very reliable. There was always close communication with staff. I felt that I was truly valued at the JAA .
Rewarding work, great people
Director of Marketing and Public Relations (Current Employee) –  Main campusJuly 8, 2018
I began working there six months ago and was worried I might not fit in or enjoy the work as much as do. Was I wrong! Everyone has helped me orient to being in senior healthcare (which I had never been before) and explained how important the work is that we do. I love my job, am always busy because there is much to be done, and am energized every day by the innovative practices undertaken at JAA. The memory care aspect of our work is challenging and fascinating as more and more people are having issues related to memory impairment. I am learning so much. The best part of the job is the people I have met, both staff and seniors for whom we care. I tell everyone I know they ought to consider working here.
Best job I have ever had.
A/P Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 30, 2018
I love my job here at the JAA. I have been here over 10 years, and I fully intend to stay until I retire. It's a bit of a commute for me, but well worth it, IMHO. I'm satisfied with the pay (I have received merit raises every year) and more than satisfied with the benefits. I feel appreciated and (usually) well-liked by my peers and overseers. I believe that every job has its ups and downs, but I can honestly say that, all things considered, my career here has been the tops for me.
Pros
Great benefits, honestly nice people, beautiful campus
Cons
little bit of a drive for me
Cna
CNA (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 30, 2018
Union, good benefits and lots of overtime. Starting pay rate a little low but lots of raises, shift diff, sign on bonus.
This is definitely the best facility I ever worked at.
A little stressful at times but most of the people are nice and will help you out.
Management is good and will listen to you if you have a question or concern. It's really about the residents and giving good care. Ive never seen management who cared so much.
Pros
Location, clean, no smell, non-profit!!!
Cons
Starting rates
Going strong for over 20 years
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 26, 2018
The JAA provides varied work options and is a supportive environment. They are always working to strengthen employee management relations. No workplace is perfect, but the management staff is dedicated to creating a family atmosphere. All the employees from top to bottom support each other in good times and in bad. Work in healthcare is hard and it is inspiring to see our staff work with our residents and clients.
Pros
Great benefits, supportive work environment
Great place to work!
LPN (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 18, 2018
Caring environment for both residents and employees. Hard work and always fast-paced, so never a dull day. Have worked here for more than 10 years and still loving it. Benefits are great, management respectful and work with you.
Pros
Benefits and people.
Cons
Driving through Pittsburgh roads in the winter.
Great work place
Manager (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PADecember 27, 2017
I've been with the JAA for 5 years now. The management team works together to make sure the residents are getting excellent care. There is room to move/grow within the company as long as your prove yourself a dedicated employee. Benefits are unbeatable. Healthcare can be a stressful work environment but it's a supportive workplace culture. Would recommend.
Pros
Benefits, location, free parking, advancement opportunities
Cons
Busy, fast-paced
Cut-throat Culture
Manager (Former Employee) –  Homestead, PADecember 1, 2017
The Management team has an "Every Man For Himself" mentality. If you have a thin skin or expect to be treated like a professional, this organization is not for you!

Understaffing, poor management and lack of support make it extremely difficult to be successful.

The HR Dept. is rude and unprofessional.

Not a culture that breeds Success, Teamwork or Professionalism...
Benefits
Cons
All the above
April 18, 2018

I am very sorry to hear about your experience. As a member of HR I can assure you we work closely with management to maintain strong and effective leadership within the organization. I do not recall you coming to HR to resolve any of these issues, so I hope you will fill out and return the exit survey that was mailed to you so we can look further into any issues you had.
At the JAA, we strive for a positive and supportive work environment, which is why so many of our employees have over 10 years of service with this organization. We continue to provide a high level of care to our residents and only expect the best from our employees and management. I hope you are able to find a more fitting work environment and I wish you the best of luck.

Comment – July 9, 2018

Thank You to management for creating a toxic and ridiculously unprofessional workplace. It forced me to put myself first and make the smart decision to move on to bigger and better things. My only regret is not leaving sooner.

So, keep doing what you're doing and maybe at some point you'll get it right. Thanks again and Good Luck!

very stressful and understaffed
CNA (Current Employee) –  pittsburghSeptember 26, 2017
CNAs are under paid and over worked. No communication between management and employees. Always working under staffed on a regular basis. Employer doesn't care about anything but bringing money into the facility!!
Pros
lots of overtime
Cons
staffing

Good afternoon,

I'm sorry to hear of your negative experience at the JAA. We are staffed at much higher levels than nearby facilities because we have such high standards of care. Management frequently holds employee council meetings and make announcements in the weekly newsletter to maintain communication with staff. We value our hardworking employees, which is why so many of our staff have over 10 years of service with us. Our goal is to provide the best possible care to our residents, so we expect the best from our employees. If you are still a current employee, please take your concerns to management and we would be happy to work with you.

Employees don't know how good they have it
Resident Care Manager (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 11, 2017
The staffing levels were amazing. The people who think they are understaffed never worked at a place that truly is. If the drive hadn't been so bad, I would still be there!! Loved my co-workers. It's a busy place. But they are paid well to do the work. If you want a cushy, slow paced job, stay out of the nursing field.
Pros
Great pay. Great atmosphere.
Cons
A bit overwhelming at times.
April 18, 2018

Thank you for your comment and I'm glad to hear you had a positive experience at the JAA. We greatly appreciate your service to the organization and hope you will reapply in the future. Best of luck!

Poorly staffed
Nurse (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 30, 2017
Always short staffed, stressful, terrible hours, 4 days on one day off... Staff that do come are lazy, difficult to work with, HR is Rude.. Messy and unorganized
Pros
Cons
All of the above

Good afternoon,

I'm sorry to hear you have been disappointed with your experience at the JAA. Our hours are standard for any healthcare facility and we are staffed at a much higher level than others. Our Nursing staff has every other weekend off and we give a considerable amount of sick, vacation and personal time. One of the most common compliments we receive is how clean and beautiful our facility is. Please feel free to address any issues with management and we will be sure to clear up any misunderstandings. The satisfaction of our staff is highly important to the JAA. We greatly appreciate your service!

Poor work environment
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Former Employee) –  PAJuly 21, 2017
They play favorites and don't play fair. Always short staffed, you work your tail off for them and when you need a day off it's denied cause they are short staffed. Not a friendly work environment very stressful. Not for their employees all about money.
April 27, 2018

Good morning,

I'm sorry to hear of your experience and appreciate your feedback. I can assure you, as we are a non-profit facility, we are not focused on monetary gain, but rather the excellent care of our residents.
We are staffed significantly above state requirements and have been told by our staff countless times that we provide the least challenging workload of any other jobs they've had. We do, however, have high standards of care for our residents and only expect the best from both management and employees. This is why we are able to retain employees for over 10, 20 and 30 years.
We provide a mentor program for our new nursing staff to help transition them into their new work environment and always do our best to accommodate our employees' requests. At the JAA, we also show our staff how much they are valued by holding employee recognition luncheons, raffles, cookouts and other fun events.
I hope you were able to voice your concerns at the monthly staff council meeting, as they surely would have been addressed. I also hope you filled out an exit survey that would have been mailed to you, as we take staff concerns very seriously.
I hope you have found a more fitting work environment and I wish you the best of luck in your professional endeavors.

Productive and fun place to work
Customer Service/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 23, 2013
I enjoy the staff and the residents on a daily basis when I am scheduled to work.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Not enough to make full time

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Jewish Association on Aging. Our community is ready to answer.

Jewish Association on Aging Reviews by Location