Jewish Community Center Employee Reviews

Lack of Employee Interest in ECE
Child Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 23, 2019
The staff members were wonderful! the work environment could be stressful, but that also depended on how the kids were that day. However, they were lacking support staff to keep the rooms in a more manageable ratio, not just the state required ratios of adults to children. The advancements or changes in room staff wasn't supportive of what the room staff wanted - advancements, if available, were unfair.
Toxic!
Tucson Jewish Community Center (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZMarch 15, 2019
It was very terrible I had to miss 2 days of work because my mother was in the hospital... and they told me I needed to resign because the children come first and it was clear that my mother was my priority!
Cons
Tereible
Great Place To Work
Youth and Adult Sports Manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 14, 2019
Family oriented. Staff and members are very welcoming and friendly. Great atmosphere and wonderful organization to be a part of. The Early Childhood Program on campus makes it great for parents who are members and who work here. Child Care is provided making it easy for busy parents.
If you really need a job.....
Child Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Scranton, PAMarch 14, 2019
Average day is caring for daycare children. Management is not very helpful or understanding. The most enjoyable part of the jobs is the kids and the worst is the staff!
Laid-back, rewarding Work Environment
Personal Trainer/ Fitness Instructor (Current Employee) –  Stamford, CTMarch 13, 2019
A inviting community and friendly working environment. As a trainer you are an independent contractor. You make your own schedule and your own connections. You get out as much as you put in.
Pros
independence, flexibility, warm environment, good pay
Cons
difficult to build clientele for the first few months
all good
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Penn Wynne, PAMarch 4, 2019
The staff is extremely nice. Each day I g in, I do not have to worry about being bullied. The job can be stressful at time, but it is fun at the same time.
Very stressful
Ladies Locker Room Attendant (Former Employee) –  Wynnewood, PAFebruary 19, 2019
Everything was fast pace. As soon as you finished one task you had to go straight to the next, or sometimes you had to go back to your first task. They kept you on your toes
Pros
Access to pool, gym
Cons
Dealing with night creaters
Great Jewish community center to learn about Jewish holidays, and get connected with the Jewish community.
SCOUT LEADER - T'ZOFIM (Former Employee) –  West Hills, CAFebruary 13, 2019
Make sure the teenagers were actively participating in the activities and paying attention to directions, making sure and aware of their needs. Coming up with fun yet entertaining activities for them. Discussing the Jewish holidays.
Pros
Learn about Jewish culture, and get social and interact with the Jewish community.
Great Job
Employee (Current Employee) –  RichmondFebruary 7, 2019
The JCC is a great place. Everyone is incredibly kind and helpful. If you are just starting out with a job or if you are seeking a job just for fun, then this is perfect for you.
Fun and entertaining games and kids to play with
Basketball Referee (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZJanuary 25, 2019
The overall work day wasn't to bad it started off quick and would coast through the day that any task that comes. Very few major problems occur that cause stress.
Toxic work environment
Teacher assistant (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIJanuary 22, 2019
The problem starts with poor/no management and no staff. Staff consistently left without being replaced. Even directors gone, who are supposed to manage the staff. Gossip consistently throughout staff and even management. Unfair, poor hourly pay for hardworking staff working there for years, while new lazy staff that don’t last being paid more. Despite all the loss of staff, new kids are still accepted and new classrooms even opened without sufficient staff to run them and all the other classrooms. Poor communication between management when having to do with break coverage and afternoon staffing. Needs of teachers and broken equipment ignored and left on the back burner. Worst job I’ve ever had which is unfortunate bc the JCC as a whole is a pleasant place to be but the early childhood center is run extremely poor.
Pros
Good pto and other benefits
Cons
Poor hourly pay, no management, work federal holidays
Toxic & highly stressful workplace
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Tenafly, NJJanuary 22, 2019
Did not enjoy working here. Too much workplace abuse, abuse of power, lack of order, and bias at play. A typical work day was receiving verbal abuse and lack of management present. Hardest part of the job was being heard and being able to get anything done.
Enjoyable and Rewarding Workplace
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJanuary 15, 2019
As a whole, working at the Jewish Community Center in Omaha, Nebraska was enjoyable and rewarding. Managerial staff was supportive and co-workers were fantastic to work with and supportive as well.
A wonderful place to spend time in the summer
INCLSUION COUNSELOR, JCC (Former Employee) –  Marblehead, MAJanuary 7, 2019
I grew up going to camp at the JCC in summers and loved my time there. As an adult, I had the opportunity to give back to that community by becoming a camp counselor for their inclusion program. I worked mainly with children with special needs - it was very rewarding and I learned a lot
workplace at the JCC
Fitness Floor Staff (Current Employee) –  Amherst, NYNovember 29, 2018
working at the JCC has its ups and downs, being able to help people and give advice about living healthier lifestyles is great, but most days are very slow and can get very boring. Also shifts are very short and there is no opportunity to increase work hours. Each shift is 4 hours long except Fridays ( 6 hours) and weekends. (5.5 hours).
Pros
easy going, chill environment, interaction with people
Cons
boring, terrible hours, not enough tasks
Part time job, great people nice facility
Head Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Davie, FLNovember 20, 2018
It was a nice community center, I was in charge of running the pool programs and activites for group and private swim lessons. Was a good job that taught responsibility
I really had a good experience of working there.
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  West Hills, CAOctober 25, 2018
A typical day at work was really busy and fun.
I learned how deal with different ages of little children.
Management were excellent and organized.
Workplace culture were really friendly and helpful.
The hardest part were, when you approach with children's problem emotionally.
The fun part was when you are in children's world, simple and honest.
extremely unprofessional, no real leadership from anyone in the front office
Godine Receptionist (Former Employee) –  newton , Mass JCCOctober 24, 2018
I was hired as a front desk receptionist. Horrible experience. Extremely disorganized. No one knew what the other was doing. Assistant director would tell me one thing and then the Director would tell me the complete opposite. I would be told to not come in the day of a teacher training and I planned to not come i. Then the director calls asking where I am and I need to get in there.

I was told on the interview how important it was to connect to the families. I loved that philosophy remembering when my children were young dropping them off at pre-school. Perfect environment (I thought). However when I started working there I saw all the moms would stop to chat with the assistant director and the other part time receptionist and never, NOT ONCE did either of them introduce me to these people. They talk a great story about a warm environment during the interview but it is nothing like that once you are hired. Whenever I asked if there was something for me to do the assistant director would tell me yes but it is quicker if she does it herself rather than show me.

If you are hired, expect to be the stock person and cleaning person. My main "job" seemed to be cleaning up after the teachers in the kitchen.I was never given projects to do , which is basically what I was hired for. I spoke to the director and her boss, yet nothing was done to help improve the situation. Very disorganized, poorly managed and the amount of wasted time these women were spending daily is unbelievable. One day I sat and listened to the assistant director and the other p/t receptionist try
  more... and decide if they should order blue plastic bins or red plastic bins. I actually timed it. 15 MINUTES!! This is why nothing got done there.

The interesting thing is I had an amazing interview. I was asked great questions and I knew this would be a great place to work. As it turned out it was by far the most incompetent work place I have ever encountered. Think twice before applying. Unprofessional, disorganized and extremely frustrating.
Pros
good pay- great hours
Cons
disorganized, unprofessional, no one could make a decision on anything, very cold atmosphere
It’s a job it’s at least 40 hours - never know which room m
Assistant (Former Employee) –  JccOctober 22, 2018
If the manger loves you - you can get away with anything whether it’s in the rules or not. The rules are not consistent there. It’s usually what ever the boss cares about.
Nothing to do and repetitive
Personal Trainer/Fitness Attendant (Former Employee) –  Youngstown, OHSeptember 27, 2018
Not a big enough facility. Treatment and workload was overblown for amount of pay and lack of help given. Felt disorganized, part timers were given simple tasks but managers criticized every little thing making easy tasks seem difficult.