Jewish Family Service of San Diego

Jewish Family Service of San Diego Employee Reviews

United States17 reviews
Volunteer work with flexible hours
In a volunteer capacity I assisted a senior citizen with rides to doctor appointments and anywhere else he needed to go. I helped him with grocery shopping. I also provided him with companionship taking him to events, restaurants, etc.
Honestly best position I held so far.
This has been then most rewarding experience and company to work for. Great staff, great co-workers actually achieving noble goals and supporting the community. I would’ve still be working here if it wasn’t for the budget cuts. Still looking forward to work for This employer if given the opportunity once more.
Never had any issue with anything or anyone.
Great Team Doing Important Work
I loved working at JFS. My team was really passionate about the work they did and I learned so much during my time at the company. I was given lots of opportunities to grow my skills and felt connected to the work we were doing in the community. I still stay in contact with my former boss and some former co-workers.
Corrupt place
The "higher ups" are corrupt. They will all side with eachother without talking to both sides. Communication is the key in a leader and that is what they lack. They can care less about their employees. Surprises me as working for a place that helps people you'd think they truly care about people. The average worker here is expendable and they can care less how they ruin your life or dreams.

HR is supposed to be neutral. They are just as a corrupt as upper management and will take their side even if they are wrong. They do not try to work with or help their employees.

This place is unfair and plays dirty. Do not trust anyone here.

Advice to Management: Communicate! Don't just take anyone's word. A true leader would talk to someone if there is an issue and wouldn't make assumptions. Grow a heart. Upper management "gets away with murder" here.
Pros
Great pay for a non-profit.
Cons
Corrupt upper management and horrible benefits.
Long hours, low morale
JFS does phenomenal work for the community, however it is a tough place to work. There is more work than what can be done by the current workforce. Managers work very long hours.
Pros
low cost food available, free food left over from meetings
Cons
Top leadership, long hours, culture, open office space, IT systems
Your experience matters.
Help out others considering your employer. Rate your employer.
Great non-profit
This is the 3rd non profit I have worked for so I feel I have some room to compare.

In general- JFS is very well connected and has a good reputation in the San Diego community. This allows for a lot of training opportunities and collaboration with other agencies.

Personally I am not Jewish but have found the company to be open to people of all backgrounds something I wasn't sure if I could expect initially.

They seem to work towards employee satisfaction and low turnover- although this can be a challenge with many grant funded non profits.

Recently all employees got a free 20 minute massage as a part of company wellness.

I think the best part is that there is so many departments that if you can't find your fit or growth in one area there might be another area to try out.
Surface Level Values and Service
On the surface, JFS seems to follow amazing values and presumes to care about it's community. But if you evaluate the extremely high staff turn over rate, you will see there's something under the surface that is disingenuous and fractured. The non-profit narrative that they use as an excuse to not pay their employees a living wage for San Diego, does not match the pay the CEO and other executives are paid or the amount wasted on catering lavish meals and other perks for elite constituents etc.
Pros
They provide valuable services to the community
Cons
No genuine care for employees well-being.
Do not work here
They treat their employees horribly. They favor people that are Jewish and you cannot move up in the company unless you are Jewish. The CEO does not care about the company or the employees. Lots of lawsuits have come from past employee.
Dedicated staff to helping the community
The staff is great the workload is tremendous. The communication between management & staff is lacking. The open work area is not conducive to focused accounting functions. Very distracting environment.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Pressured envoironment
busy work load
This is an enjoyable work environment with a busy work load. I have several different responsibities all pertaining to data entry. I am working part time as a volunteer.
Pros
good commute
Cons
Great shelter for home less people
A great company to work with ,staff work together from different departments that was great to help people up love to drive my shuttle taking clients to work doctor ,dmv ss i enjoy my job.
Pros
Cons
Not close to public transportation
very fulfilling job that you knew you were making a difference with
We worked very hard since it is a non-profit but you knew that that job you were doing was making a difference in the community and in individuals lives.
Community Homeless Assistance
Jewish Family Service gave me the opportunity to develop community resource awareness and management skills throughout the greater Coachella Valley. Staff learned how to teach program participants how to utilize the tools necessary to obtain permanent housing, build life skills and maintain a healthy living environment.
Pros
Continuous training and ability for advancement
Cons
Over staffing leaning to necessary cut backs
An organization that cares
I sometimes forget how lucky we are to work at JFS. They have excellent benefits, and understand the value and importance of one's family, health and outside life in general, and do their best to accommodate and help employees.
A fun place to work.
Work at JFSSD was a breeze, I had my monthly schedule.
I had my groups to teach education each week, then the following week was for testing, and the third week was to deliver results, it was , to me, a perfect job.

My manager and supervisor were a perfect 10.
Pros
Great benefits.
Cons
None.
Fun workplace
A typical day at work: to busy to complaint, the end of the day is here before you know it.

What I have learned: Acceptance and Jewish customs

Management: individuality is just that, management skills comes at all levels
Excellent agency with excellent values
Staff work very well as a team. Excellent supervisors and management. Staff offers opportunities for advancement and learning.
Pros
caring staff that truly works to serve the community
Cons
funding
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Jewish Family Service of San Diego. Our community is ready to answer.
Jewish Family Service of San Diego Reviews by Location