Jimmy John's Sandwiches

Based on 2,984 survey responses
What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • Ability to learn new things

Was an ok first job

I worked at Jimmy Johns while I was in high school. It was a pretty easy job. I was there for less than five months because I received another job offer. My duties mostly included cleaning and wrapping sandwiches. They didn't trust me to cut or make sandwiches unless we were super busy.

Pros

Easy going, and helpful coworkers

Cons

PICs aren't the best managers

Do you like working 7 days a week, December to May without 1 day off, while area managers on up take 2 seperate vacations and do nothing to help.

Sandwiches are as advertised, however If you like never being able to have personal time off, being yelled at for working too many hours, it's for you

Pros

You get a free sandwich after 6 hour shifts, and they offer medical insurance that you have to pay for $88 a paycheck(bi-weekly)

Cons

If you are a manager you wont get a break even working 10+ hours, that free sandwich has to be eaten on your break so forget that, expect no help from uppermanagement, they make promises that they will never keep, and dont really care all that much about employee health, (mental, physical, or emotional) as long as the store is open and making money.

It is a very simple easy job to pick up on

For someone who doesn't have experience in the workforce and is looking to make some money this place is a solid a start. The management and people you work with are very friendly and supportive.

Pros

You get to meet and work with an amazing crew

Cons

The pay is low as a driver

It was fast food

Manager was great, but it was fast food. There is not much to explain or say. These jobs are generally meant for early life experience, or place holder jobs.

Pros

Relaxed environment

Cons

It was a fast food job

Friendly, and supportive work environment

Everyone’s friendly and very supportive, If you make a mistake you have people there who’ll help you understand what you messed up on better, The managers praise you for your hard work, Overall it’s a very soothing and comfortable work environment.

Pros

Free Food, Nice staff, Great management, flexible, Free Drinks

Cons

Fast paced environment

Do you enjoy working at your company?

Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.

Would recommend under the right owners.

The job itself was great. It was everything surrounding it. Owner never kept their word and only assisted on an as needed basis even after multiple complaints. Employees wouldn’t show up. Day time management was the only ones carrying the store’s success. Never the employees or owner. ONLY the two managers.

Pros

Job was fun, fast paced, and exciting.

Cons

No one worked together or cared at all for the job. So it created a burden to those who did.

High turnover in management

It was alright working there, pretty busy but not too hard of a job. Headsets were almost impossible to hear customers with, only one or two working ones you had to get lucky to get first. Managers were always leaving and being moved up from regular staff, but they would usually quit because of the stress. If you need a day off you have to figure it out yourself and hope a coworker can take your shift. Other employees were pretty friendly as well as management.

Pros

Sometimes got free sandwich to take home

Cons

No breaks, no benefits, very much look out for yourself kind of mindset

Good job if you're inshop or driver. Not management.

When there are enough employees, it's fine. But they overwork you, people steal food all the time. Walk out, call in, and still have job. It's a joke for a workplace. It's supposed to be 3 writeups and you're fired. Only time anyone is "fired" is after they quit. I wouldn't recommend managing there.

Pros

Free sandwich after 7 hours of work

Cons

No benefits

Understaffed but staff were treated fairly

This particular location sadly closed down in march of 2020 at the first wave of the COVID-19 pandemic, but the owner was a gentle giant and treated his staff like friends and family. I learned a lot about property management and delegation of tasks among coworkers, and the importance of a friendly but professional atmosphere. The pace was very inconsistent in regards to customers, so employees often had to do busy work, unless another manager was there.

Pros

Discounts, Friendly staff, good atmosphere

Cons

Busy work, low pay

Fun work, with the exception of drama

A lively bunch of people working there, don't get caught up in the drama though. Put my two weeks notice in, was told I couldn't finish my two weeks because it would mess with the pay schedule.

Pros

Free sandwich if you work 8 hours

Cons

No lunch breaks if you work less than 8 hours.

Jobs at Jimmy John's Sandwiches

See more jobs

Great early job

Everyone at this location was very easy going and had a like mindset. After working for 8 months as a driver, I started doing in shop, and after a month of doing those two, I got trained as an assistant manager and starting closing during the week. I started doing that at 20 so it really helped me grow my skills and confidence as a leader.

Pros

Pretty much everything

Cons

Pay

Cool Job just understaffed

Cool Job just understaffed, management sucks and is rude. I would keep looking, Don't expect to sit down or get a break at all. I like one of my Co Workers he is cool. Respect to that guy

Pros

It's a Job

Cons

Pay, management

Poor management

I've worked almost every position within the chain save for GM and higher. They take advantage of their managers and reward often reward bad behavior. The pay is terrible in comparison to what you have to deal with. Set healthy boundaries because if you do a lot, they will expect that and then some. It's not worth it for a minimum wage job, I promise. Coworkers are usually pretty nice though.

Pros

Discounted meals

Fine for temporary work

Fine place to work for a short period of time. Doesn't pay that well unless you work very hard. They don't train very well. As a driver, I didn't learn how to do anything even when working closing shifts.

Pros

pays well if you work hard

Cons

training, base pay

High turnover rate and stressed management

High turnover rate and stressed management results in a feedback loop of always working with inexperienced workers. Only good if you need a first job.

Pros

Half priced menu.

Cons

Looking for a new job as soon as you're hired

Decent place to work

Worked here part time, everyone was very friendly and pretty understanding. Pay was ok, similar to other places in the area. Not much else to say, pretty decent place to work.

Random hours bad management

Never knew what hours you were going to work and never knew when you were gonna get called in to work on the weekends. Management had no care for the employee.

It Was Perfect Until it Wasn’t

Jimmy John’s is a great place to work at as long as management is stable. It’s a really easy job, but it can get boring fast once you get into the flow of things. We were once a big happy family at JJs: management was compassionate and supportive, and they made sure everyone felt comfortable, happy, and understood. Last minute trouble on the way to work? No problem, just call in. Are you a student who needs flexible hours? No problem, let them know. I was able to attend classes while working—I couldn’t participate in these classes of course, but at least I got my attendance . Management was always looking to help you move up too, as long as you were putting in the work. Then the unfortunate happened…management changed. The new manager had no compassion, respect, or regard for the employees. They didn’t try to get to know us. They claimed they could run the shop without us, but they also expected us to handle all of the customer complaints—even when we did not have the authority to do so. They were very disrespectful towards customers and older employees over the littlest things. They showed favoritism to the employees that they themselves hired, and one by one the staff that was there before them left. I only worked with them for about three weeks though and apparently they’re no longer a manager there, so I won’t let them control my rating of JJs. Putting them aside, it was a great place to work! I recommend!

Pros

Free lunch, flexible hours, friendly coworkers

Cons

Management’s stability

Productive, energetic and clean.

I like working at Jimmy Johns! The people are nice. Its quieter than most fast food places as far as noise. Good food. Clean and friendly. The customers are nice too. Plenty of parking. I might stay here awhile. Funny commercials! Freaky fast and fresh!

Pros

Free dinner!

Cons

A lot of work.

Was good at first.

Everything was good at first, but then people started leaving the management went down no longer felt like a good place to work warned management it would be wise to look for more people and they dragged their feet with it

Pros

Free lunch, hour br

Cons

No benefits, Uncertain scheduling, toxic ownership

Not a bad summer job

Pay kinda sucked due to a different franchise owner in the same city that payed more. Pay sucked over the summer as a driver. The management was great at my store.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Jimmy John's Sandwiches. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.5K
2.8K
2K

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Jimmy John's Sandwiches.
Powered byComparably