JK Moving Services Pay & Benefits reviews

A Poisonous Company Culture Will Eat Itself Alive
Other (Former Employee) –  Sterling, VAMay 19, 2019
There is a reason that JK Moving has an extremely high employee turnover rate. Hard workers are "rewarded" by being exploited with a far greater workload without pay adjustment; When other employees leave, those left are told to pick up the slack and cover up to 2-3 roles worth of work, and are not given extra pay or even a pat on the back; Pay to begin with is so little for employees that they are forced to get an extra job to just to make ends meet; Health insurance is hilariously expensive that many have to go without; PTO is just about nonexistent unless you've been at JK for more than 5 years.

The most disappointing thing is the complete lack of upward mobility. As someone looking to grow my career and learn as much as possible, there is virtually no opportunity for advancement. HR claims that by entering your career goals in their system (Commit 2 Growth) they will look for opportunities just for you - however nothing ever has come from it (at least not from anyone I have ever worked with at JK). In fact, in several instances HR chose to hire unqualified individuals than to promote or even laterally-move existing qualified employees.

I know that approximately 30% of current corporate employees are seeking to change employers - even after being there for 5-10 years in some instances. I'm not at all surprised.

For a place that promotes a certain set of values and company culture, I was surprised at the very frequent amount of backstabbing and hypocrisy. It's a boys' club management culture that only seeks to have a higher revenue to put in their pockets, rather
  more... than rewarding any of its staff. Don't waste your time with bringing new ideas, creativity, or offer cost-saving measures or new tactics - the boys' club only listens to itself. By only looking to cut costs to increase their own earnings, management will continue to see a dramatic increase in the JK turnover rate. They will also see a drop in quality of service and profitability by remaining on the same path. The management strategy and company culture is poison - until it recognizes its own mistakes, JK will continue to fall behind in the industry.

Management and HR do whatever it takes for the bottom line, and not in the best interest of their employees. As a result, managers can act or behave as they wish, without any repercussions. They also clearly do not care to know why their best employees are dropping like flies - I STILL have not received any exit interview or an exit survey.

There are so many intelligent, caring, hardworking colleagues that I worked with. They made things so much easier when I was juggling the responsibilities of 4 different roles. I miss them dearly and hope they can finally get what they deserve.
Pros
Colleagues
Cons
Healthcare, Advancement, Compensation, Flexibility, Management, Hr, Company Culture, Organization
JK Moving Services Review
Employee (Current Employee) –  VirginiaMarch 19, 2019
JK Moving Services offers a stable place to work, with room to grow and a competitive work place. The company offers great benefits and a profit sharing incentive. The management team in some departments is great, but could improve in other departments. Generally the work culture is positive at JK Moving, but I feel they could offer higher compensation/salary.
Pros
Great benefits, incentives
Cons
Low Salary
Great company
Non-CDL Driver (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDMarch 10, 2019
JK is a great company. Once you get into it and understand core values, you will be part of a JK family. They provide continuous training and opportunities to grow. Tons of benefits too. It is a hard working environment, but I have learned a lot and improved my physical and mental strength. It is good as a summer job, or full time job. I was lucky enough to spend 2 years before I had to leave USA.
Pros
Great team, hard working environment, opportunities to grow
Cons
Heavyweight lifting- for those that don’t like it 🙂
Good Summer Job
Moving Helper (Former Employee) –  44112 Mercure Cir, Sterling, VA 20166November 10, 2018
Hard work but good for college students looking to make money on break

not good for long term job or career

unless you start in the office or management
Driver/Mover/PC Tech/ Installer (Former Employee) –  Sterling, VAJuly 5, 2018
The people are the best part. A variety of job choices within the company. The pay is decent. Paid time off, good vision, and dental insurance. Very affordable. Health care is a little steep if it’s for a family.
Pros
Great hours, great people, great benefits!
Cons
Health care is expensive for a family
Very well organized company
JK moving (Former Employee) –  Sterling, VAApril 16, 2018
culture of the job is great and co workers are always helpful in circumstances, also always working as a team. You learn how to be quick paced and sometimes you receive tips.
Pros
free lunches, tips
Cons
heavy objects, sore pains
Good Summer Job
Mover/Packer/Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDJanuary 9, 2018
Hard work but good for college students looking to make money on break

not good for long term job or career

unless you start in the office or management
good job to have if needed asap
Crew Foreman/ Onsite Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDDecember 26, 2017
hard work, very long hours, never know what you're doing until the day of. You may work 8-10hrs but its consist of 12 or more due to travel and traffic.
Pros
possible tips
Cons
work environment can be negative at times
Just kidding moving services?
Employee (Former Employee) –  Sterling, VAApril 14, 2017
Brag about being the best and most expensive, pay way less than the competitors, will lock you into an agreement on day one keeping you from going to any other local company
Pros
Clean equipment, crews are mostly nice and welcoming
Cons
Management argues with each other in front of you, pay is low, benefits are too expensive, operations director is loud mouthed and yells at employees for no reason. Horrible hours
Great company with a great culture, and benefits.
Senior Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Sterling, VASeptember 29, 2016
I worked at JK for one year and I enjoyed working there as an account executive for the most part. It is a bit of a gruling job to be in sales for JK because of the amount of time it takes to be the prospecting, and meeting with prospects, walking all of the spaces and doing your own estimates and being on hand for 6am sales meetings. Its truly a young mans game.
Pros
Great company, great culture, great benefits.
Cons
work/life balance is challenging based on the job requirements.
Big company in Northern VA
Commercial Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Sterling, VAAugust 23, 2016
Good pay, good hours, well maintain equipment. Being an owner operator the only problem is a lot of dead heading, but other then that everything else was good.
A solid and growing organization
VP Marketing (Current Employee) –  Sterling, VAJune 23, 2016
In my role at JK Moving Services (and its sister company, CapRelo), I collaborate with virtually every department and business unit in the company. Marketing acts as a "shared service" across the enterprise (similar to HR, Accounting, IT and others).

I had never worked in the transportation/relocation/logistics industry until I accepted my position at JK. Having had experience primarily in technology and publishing, I didn't know what to expect.

What I have experience in my 5+ years at JK has far exceeded any expectation. The enterprise is well-run, with management that cares for its employees, their professional development, and their well-being.

The training opportunities are almost limitless and the company prefers to promote/advance from within. I have witnessed numerous employees be promoted, take new opportunities in other departments, and thrive in a new role that took advantage of their inherent skills and interests. The company is dedicated to having "the right people on the bus, in the right seat."

The company also shows great interest in employees' personal well-being. Just a few of the benefits that demonstrate this: flu shot clinics, on-site farmer's markets, confidential employee assistance program (EAP), and voluntary smoking cessation and weight management programs.

The moving/relocation/logistics industry may not sound "sexy." Working for a solid, financially-sound, growing company that invests in its employees - that is VERY appealing!
Pros
Excellent training and advancement opportunities
Cons
Managing employee healthcare costs is a challenge (and not unique to JK)
Great Place to work....
Payroll Administrator (Former Employee) –  Sterling, VAJune 2, 2016
JK is really a great company to work for. I worked there for almost 10 years. Some things changed over the years, but this company has great benefits, and the pay is not bad. JK strive to be #1 in the moving industry.
Pros
Great benefits and some great people
Cons
Maybe long hours
Physical Job
Mover (Former Employee) –  Sterling VAMay 12, 2015
This job is for those who don't need mental stimulation to be happy. The management is great to work with and positive, however the ground level employees are not greatest to be around.
Pros
Paid commute
Cons
No breaks, disgruntled employees, variable work hours, inconsistent schedule.
Productive and a great place to work!
Safety and Compliance Administrator (Former Employee) –  Sterling, VASeptember 29, 2014
Great place to work! JK Moving Services acts as a family and works together to promote success internally and externally. Fellow employees are charismatic and enjoy their positions within the company. This company possesses upward growth and great benefits.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Depending on your location, there are multiple tolls you will have to pay