Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores Employee Reviews

Slow Paced and Rude Customer Base
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Norridge, ILMay 23, 2018
Anyone who can handle a retail job will do fine at Jo-Ann, but the culture around sewing and crafting somehow brings out the worst in a few of the customers. As long as the management is good its an otherwise unremarkable job.
Great place overall, but beware of sale days
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Warrington, PAMay 21, 2018
Nearly all of the regular staff and at least some of the management are crafters/sewers themselves, so if a customer need advice on a project, there is guaranteed to be at least one staff member who can help during any given shift. Management is a mixed bag; some would go through anything for their staff, others would rather alienate the staff with ineptitude. Do your research on the store before applying, and you'll have the best experience. Any day with a descent sale is nearly guaranteed to be some level of crazy, so mental fortitude is a must.
Pros
401(k) plan standard, guaranteed 15 minute break for all shifts, great discounts
Cons
Depending on management, an okay or a horrendous place to work
The worst management imaginable
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brandywine, MDMay 20, 2018
Other than co workers this job had some of the worst management ever. They never followed through with any projects they started and always gave you the project at the last minute.
Pros
Its a job
Cons
Everything else
Poor management
Part-time key holder (Current Employee) –  Clifton Park, NYMay 19, 2018
The management is poor to say it nicely, the manager at the clifton park store(NY) would refuse to talk to employees if they were competent workers and would take hours away from specific people on little or no notice but leave others hours alone. Unless management gets fixed do not work for this company
Pros
Customers are friendly
Cons
Management sucks, no breaks, no set schedule, management would snap at you for asking a question then not answer it
Basic summery
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 19, 2018
Like working there. There's quite a lot to do. And the best part of working there is getting to know what kind of artsy project everyone is going to do, and see if I can help them in any way.
Pros
30 min lunch
Cons
long times of standing
loved it here
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 18, 2018
overall the easiest and most pleasant retail position i have held. i had wished my location had classes of there was a benefit that if you worked at one location you could take classes at another but in general great job.
Pros
discounts
Cons
not many hours
Wonderful store to grow in
Associate Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSMay 18, 2018
While working at Joann Fabrics I learned more about the crafting projects and passion moving them then I ever imagined! I love that company. The only thing that ended it in the end was that it looked as though I wasn't growing with the company. I turned down manager 3 times!
Pros
Cake class treats and birthday celebrations
Cons
I decided against promotion more than once!
Hard workers
Stocking Associate (Former Employee) –  Citrus Heights, CA 95610May 18, 2018
The stocking crew was some of the hardest working people I have ever met. They worked as a unit and got the store ready for customers. The hardest part was the physical strain, but you get used to it over time.
Customers made my day!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Escanaba, MIMay 17, 2018
Nothing about that job was predictable. The schedule was changed every 2 days. You couldn't plan personal things or you would get a negative comment about not being reliable. No matter how fast you worked to finish something was never enough.

Working in the store was fun, though. Helping the customers find things was rewarding.
Decent work
Lead Customer Service Rep/Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Poway, CAMay 17, 2018
Pleasant work environment offering a variety of tasks and flexible hours. I enjoyed the responsibility of being mainly the night manager that involved balancing the tills, banking etc.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
low pay
Fair
Keyholder (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 15, 2018
The people with whom I worked at my store were wonderful, but the JoAnn culture was terrible with limited pay and pay caps. It also tied labor very closely to daily sales forcing managers to cut hours constantly.
It felt like a Ferris wheel
Seasonal Team Member (Former Employee) –  Fairborn, OH 45324May 15, 2018
Everything that happened there was pretty predictable. All the customers were fairly kind and generous. I learned a lot about how Joanne Fabrics ran. The managers there were very kind, yet good at their job. the hardest part, at least for me, was figuring out the way things were done. Everyone had their own way of taking care of the customers, including the managers. There were also times when some of the employees held grudges against the customers for being being snippy or not following the rules and such.
Pros
Nice, quiet environment and overall nice customers and employees
Limited hours per day and per week; limited room to grow
Team Member (Current Employee) –  OregonMay 14, 2018
Usually, a typical work week is less than 28 hours - you would be lucky to have twenty hours. There is limited room to grow as there are only so many positions available for management. The worst part was cutting seasonal hired right after Black Friday, making the workload excessive, but the salary did not match the work we had to do. Hours are not guaranteed as they are tied to sales. And customers would have to wait an unnecessary amount of time to get help from store team members - all could be avoided if there were enough people on the floor to help.

With that said, the best part was working with amazing, creative people. Team members and managers are usually on the same page and will do everything in their power to make things work with the resources given by higher management.
Pros
Coworkers, local managers
Cons
Unrealistic expectations of work, minimal pay, inconsistent hours, outdated technology and equipment/material/fixtures, higher executives
Not a good place
TEAM MEMBER (Former Employee) –  Township of Deptford, NJMay 14, 2018
Its a very over worked, not respected, bad pay, bad management environment. Got yelled at by management and customers constantly. Had to take a huge pay loss in order to find a job that let me work 10 hours a week.
Pros
Cons
all
Good place to start
Education Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMay 10, 2018
I enjoyed working at Joann's as a starter job, the staff is friendly and helpful, the discounts are good, and the general atmosphere is very creative and pleasant.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Busy season and slow season hours.
decent
Floor staff, backroom, register etc (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NYMay 9, 2018
wasn't there long, was told i could come back when on break from school. no such thing ever happened.
there was not a lot to do and therefore we were somewhat taught to shuffle product around and look busy. may have later been trained in the back room if i was still around.
breaks were a messy and badly handled thing at times.
Pros
easy
Cons
boring unless you needed to go on break, and no one was available to cover, then blamed for not taking break.
my opinion
Floor Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 9, 2018
Started out with great managers/staff, with change of management the atmosphere changes and it was no longer enjoyable or flexible. Great job for high school students.
Great learning enviroment.
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Seven Corners, VAMay 8, 2018
Most days are filled by one specific task. Though this allows for you to get better and better at what you are assigned there is not much variation to include training in different departments. Mangers are always available.
Pros
Good work enviroment.
Cons
Not much variation.
Typical minimum wage retail job
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Centerville, UTMay 8, 2018
Honestly, this job is like most retail jobs. Underpaid for the work you do. At this job, in particular, you had set things that were expected of you. As a cashier your job was to work with customers and help them at the registers, usually you were the only one at the registers unless the line got long and you had to ask for backup, and also greet every customer that came in and offer assistance to anyone and everyone that asked you a question even if all those things were happening at the same time. There was also no time to take a breath because if you did not have anyone in line you were meant to tidy up the aisles close to you and the fabric wall and even if everything looked good there was always something that they expected you to be fixing up.
The best part of the job was good co-workers and the discount on fabric but even that wasn't more than one of the coupons everyone else already received so it didn't really seem worth it. The worst part was the changing of managers every few months. In the almost year I worked for them we went through four different store managers and assistant managers. Two of which were let go for things we were not even aware of. They were always understaffed and I was always covering shifts and overworked and underpaid. Even if they raised the pay a dollar it would have been better but minimum wage just wasn't worth it. That's why the turn over rate was so high. It was stressful.
Okay work place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 8, 2018
I liked working with the different fabrics. Being able to help customers with different design ideas was really a fun experience. Some helped me to understand what they were trying to do or make. That really helped me to direct them to exotically what they needed for their project. I could also give them advice on other ways and sometimes more affordable ways to finish their project. Some customers would bring pictures or sometimes the items they made to show them off to us. I really enjoyed that especially if I helped them with ideas to finish their product.
Pros
Helping customers with design ideas and fabric layouts
Cons
Low pay, no hours or benefits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.5

2.2Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

2.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight