Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Found 2,351 reviews matching the search See all 2,354 reviews
A creative but hardworking job opportunity.
ASSISTANT STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Spring, TXAugust 17, 2018
JoAnn lets you use your fun creative side in your career. You also get to help other people create and learn new things. It is hard work but fun. JoAnn is a positive environment that employs creative team members that make it an enjoyable work atmosphere.
Pros
positive environment
Hard, Stocking, Decorations
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Draper, UTAugust 16, 2018
JoAnn Fabric and craft was one of my first jobs. They didn't pay very much and the managers were not the best. Worked at the register and had long lines. I also worked in the freight it was easier than the register. Overall I do not recommend working here because of the poor reward system from the managers.
Pros
Decorations, Crafts
Cons
Managers, Pay
Great place to work if you love crafting
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lawton, OKAugust 16, 2018
If you are a crafter, JoAnns is a great place to work. You can get many ideas on new crafts to work from customers shopping on a daily basis, get ideas on projects you are already working on from coworkers. Management was great with helping you learn not only your tasks to to do your job but also about the products to best help the customers find what they are looking for to complete their projects.
Fun working environment
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSAugust 15, 2018
The environment at Joann was fun and friendly. The worst part about it is that they only hire part time positions and can barely pay you over minimum wage.
The day and life of working at JOANN
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Hudson, OHAugust 15, 2018
Customer Care Dept. Micro-managed. Taking orders, tracking orders, Issuing gift cards, playing the role of IT tech for the mobile App, processing refunds, listening to nagging old ladies upset that their order of yarn wasn't delivered on time and reminding them that JOANN is only the shipper not deliverer.
Pros
Discounted gym memberships and oil changes from vavoline
Cons
Bad management, no room for advancement, seniority mean nothing..a temp is more respected than an hired in employee.
everyday job
Customer service at the cutting counter (Former Employee) –  Turlock, CAAugust 15, 2018
contact with the general public. cut fabric. assist in location of items in the store. listen to the customer and help them fine items in the store. help in cutting the fabric to the size they are looking for.
Understaffed
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAAugust 15, 2018
Working for Jo-Ann's is fine for kids coming out of high school looking to make some money. They are typically understaffed but working in retail does help you come out of your shell to communicate effectively with customers.
Wonderful employees made up for poor treatment by customers
Sales Associate/Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Apple Valley, MNAugust 15, 2018
Although customers could be, at times, incredibly impolite and demanding, as in any retail environment, the manager, at this particular location, was incredibly encouraging and the team members around me made any day enjoyable. If I had not had to relocate, I would probably still be there.
Pros
Kind, encouraging team members
Cons
Demanding customers, always short-staffed
Over-Worked and Under-Paid
Seasonal Team Member (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARAugust 15, 2018
Really, they were so understaffed that they had a hard time keeping their part-time employees part time. I remember working 39 Hours a week, and didn't get anymore time, of course, because that's not actually part-time. The amount of work wasn't appropriate for how little I was getting paid at the time.

It was a temporary job, but it still wasn't a good fit. I did enjoy most of the assistant managers who worked there, they were very kind.
Pros
In-Store Discount
Cons
Low Pay, Over-Worked for Part-Time
Good Part-time Job
Team Member (Current Employee) –  ILAugust 15, 2018
Makes a good part-time job or a second job for a little extra money.
Allows you to share your creative side. Offers opportunities to learn and take classes.
Positive place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Centerville, OHAugust 15, 2018
Jo-Ann Fabrics is a wonderful place to work if you like to work part-time. They are very flexible with your work schedule. Management is very accommodating. They work with you. A typical day was greeting customers and doing any necessary things that need to be done. The only hard part of working there was during the Christmas season and customers not thinking that we could cash them out fast enough. the most enjoyable part was being able to help people.
Pros
Very relaxed work place
Cons
Non
Fast-Paced and Demanding
Full-Time Key-Holder (Current Employee) –  MichiganAugust 13, 2018
You will be expected to get a list of 20 things done while you are the manager on duty when you have one cashier and one cutting counter and a line 10 people deep. Not getting the list done will subject you to a write up, but leaving people in line while you take care of your list will result in bad customer service scores which will result in, you guessed it, a write up. A lot of times this results in minimal breaks throughout the day.

Hours are usually difficult, they'll have you on a variety throughout the week. Some days we go in as early as 3 AM and the next day you'll be closing 2PM to 10PM but you'll be expected to stay as long as it takes to get the store ready to go even if it takes until 11 or later. And then it's not uncommon to be scheduled to come back the next morning.

Even as a manager you will be making barely above minimum wage and after a few years of annual raises you will be maxed out and they will stop giving them to you altogether. On the flip side they do give you a decent amount of PTO.
Pros
Pto
nice place to work
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLAugust 13, 2018
I enjoyed my time at JoAnn Fabics. I was hired to help with the remodel & kept on for my floral experience. Unfortunately I was not able to be of assistance in that department & ended up cutting fabric & cashiering. They eventually had to let me go due to budget issues. But the managers & other employees were very nice & helpful.
JoAnn's is a favorite shopping place
Go backs, Recovery, Cut table (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 13, 2018
I wasn't there long enough to make a very comprehensive evaluation. Management was lacking in my opinion. The training was poor. I think JoAnn's as a business is wonderful, but this particular store had poor management.
Pros
Great location
Cons
Poor management
Good starter job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Snellville, GAAugust 13, 2018
This is a great company to work for as a first job, especially if you're into crafts or DIY projects. Employee discounts also make it more affordable for personal projects.
Pros
free classes every quarter
Cons
short breaks
First paid job
Customer Service Team Member (Former Employee) –  Dublin, CAAugust 8, 2018
I was happy to be hired at Joanns as a first-time job in a retail store. Received very little training--only on the job. Demanding manager who expected higher standards and knowledge than I had as an entry-level and first-time employee.
Pros
First paid job
Cons
Stressful, demanding, inconsistent hours.
Customer Service/Front end Supervisor
Customer Service Mgr (Former Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CAAugust 8, 2018
I role was to manage and maintain the register or Front of the store in addition to taking Store management shifts during the week. This role included and was not limited to opening and closing shifts for the store, staff management, shift coverage management. Task assigning and maintaining staff engagements with daily, weekly goals for sales and merchandise setup, store and merchandise cleanliness and inventory scans. I was also involved in team member interviews and hiring as well as training for a variety of positions in the store. I also handled customer complaints and product issues when on duty.
Pros
Fun work environment, I loved the merchandise and enjoyed selling it
Cons
Long, tedious, strenuous hours. Positive feed back was very rare from regional management
Joann
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Minnetonka, MNAugust 7, 2018
Fun place to work and very creative environment. I learned a lot about crafting and enjoyed to staff I worked with, I would recommend this as a fun place to work for those who like a creative job.
Pros
discount
Cons
mandatory lunch breaks
Great store and excellent manager
Cashier, fabric cutting, stocking (Current Employee) –  Cupertino, CAAugust 7, 2018
Enjoyable workplace, the manager is a strong leader and very personable and approachable. The staff are helpful, kind and a lot of fun to be around. The pace can be very busy but there is always someone to help when things get busy
Good place for flexible hours
Team member (Current Employee) –  Paramus, NJAugust 6, 2018
Joann is a good place if you're a creative person who is willing to talk to others about the projects they are doing in a retail environment. Hours are usually very flexible so it's great for in between schooling or jobs in your field.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.2Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

2.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight