Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores Employee Reviews

Found 2,738 reviews matching the search See all 2,744 reviews
Was a good first/part time job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 23, 2019
Always stressful around holidays, never enough people working to cover all departments, management was wish-washy. Co-workers are awesome. Most of the customers were fun to engage with, lots of talented people and cool projects. Great learning experience.
Pros
Flexible hours, 3 breaks, coworkers
Cons
Management, scheduling, zero benefits
Its Retail
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, GAJune 21, 2019
Its not the worst nor is it the best place to work. Low pay for PT and FT unless your the store manager they are salary instead of hourly. Good benefits. Usually decent people to work with.
Pros
FT has good benefits, paid time off, sick time and paid holidays. Employee discount
Cons
Low pay roll which equals less staff on the floor.
stressful
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Helena, MTJune 20, 2019
was not a bad job until they made all the changes and cut labor so far down there was usually only 2 employees there and made it very difficult to help customers. Poor upper management
Great customer service but bad employee service
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Schererville, INJune 19, 2019
The Joanns I work at had great customer service and treats them amazing. Does everything they can for them but not great with employees and how they treat them. I=
Low pay
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, NEJune 19, 2019
Expect to work 60 to 80 hours a week. There is no payroll so the store manager has to fill in the gap. Poor training and lack.of support from leaders.
Terrible place
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Santa Clarita, CAJune 19, 2019
Boring standing around a lot in the night shift. Nothing. Main managers weren't fair. One assistant manager was not nice to me. Nothing was hard. Working with fun co-worker.
Really awesome place to work, with amazing opportunity to explore your crafty side.
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Longview, WAJune 17, 2019
The best part of this job is to watch customers projects come to life. Customers would come in and buy their crafts/ fabric and would share their ideas and would bring in the finished project. Setting up the displays.
Not bad if you want something casual.
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Mooresville, NCJune 16, 2019
It can actually be a pretty boring job. Fairly slow paced, and usually you only work with one or maybe two other people. Management was generally good. Some drama but that is to be expected almost anywhere you work. Pretty low salary, and low hours. I only work one day a week, and they generally won't give you more than 25 hours unless you are upper management.
Eh
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Saginaw, MIJune 16, 2019
This was my second “real” job and truthfully Not a totally great place to work. Your are not paid what you are worth and the management isn’t great either.
good employees, corporate however...
Part Time Team Member (Current Employee) –  NEJune 15, 2019
My coworkers were always great, however, corporate was not the best. We would randomly have to cut hours and they did minimal effort to fix things that were not effective for stores.
Great community, poor company management
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Casa Grande, AZJune 14, 2019
The co-workers and the in-store management was fantastic, the customers and crafting community was welcoming and helpful, and the work itself was engaging and fun. I cannot, however, recommend this company, and I wouldn't wish a job at Joann on my worst enemy. The district manager had completely lost touch with reality, the Human Resources department could hardly be called a resource, and the company communication with our property management was virtually non-existent. A company who treats their employees like tools or unlimited resources cannot be profitable, and I hope for the employees' sakes that the misguided people who run it can realize that.
Pros
Friendly community, friendly and helpful co-workers, engaging work
Cons
Company couldn't care less about the stores and employees, company blatantly lies to stores and their employees
Low quality retail job
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAJune 14, 2019
Jo-Ann’s has everything people hate most about working retail. Minimum wage for associates and not much more for the team leads, Laughable raises (20 cents once a year, for all associates, not performance based), Having to work all the positions, Working every weekend, NO benefits as everyone below team lead is part-time only, no exceptions. Understaffed at closing particularly so many customers complained that no one is ever available to help them on the actual sales floor. Very corporate culture. Everything you do at the end of the day in their store supports corporate more than anyone else, especially yourself. You wont make a living on Jo-Ann wages no matter how long you stay. You will be scraping by. It is a low quality retail job. Coworkers and management were good.
Pros
some schedule flexibility, store management, co-workers
Cons
Bad pay, no benefits, everything else
Fast paced and unorganized work setting
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIJune 13, 2019
A typical work day was walking in to the back office and finding out what position they wanted you on that day. I was put on stations I wasn't ready to work yet and didn't get proper training. I learned that being open to being taught will lead to your success. The hardest part of the job was overnight stocking. I loved working here because it allowed me to meet a lot of really great creative people!
Horrible place to work. Inexperienced management.
Former employee (Former Employee) –  New JerseyJune 11, 2019
Demoralizing and condescending management. Always belittling employees in front of customers. Worked 50 plus hours a week. No security in the store and only 2 people scheduled to close the store at night. Managers knew nothing about running a store properly. Very unprofessional and very caddy. Loved to team up and gossip about the regular staff. Took sides and created animosity and unacceptable stress among the employees. The employees had to clean the toilet in the public restroom and then cut fabric. So disgusting!
Pros
Nothing. Just a job. No great benefits. Worked like a dog.
Cons
Everything negative that should not be done to staff.
The job became stressful for my health issues in the end. By the time I quit I had many family and personal issues going on around my job
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Helena, MTJune 11, 2019
The job was fun in most cases I only had a problem because I walked 8 miles a day to and from work because I had no other way to get to work. It became hard on my health and personal family problems became a major issue for me.
Pros
Discounts, fun and active coworkers, wonderful costumers
Cons
Stressful, very little staff, and lack of being able to treat my health.
Unpredictable but never boring
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAJune 10, 2019
-No pre-determined tasks; were given instruction upon starting day
-Managers were friendly and understanding
-Always understaffed so we were always busy
-Schedule was printed on paper; were responsible for taking note of the schedule
-Very creative and inspiring environment
An ok part time job if you need one, not worth the stress or time if you want anything else
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Saugus, MAJune 9, 2019
Part time you get maybe 15-25 hours a week if you're lucky at minimum wage, which is not enough to support yourself anywhere in the area. No real benefits for part time other than PTO. All about sales numbers and getting people to sign up for coupons and emails. More often than not you'll be doing the workload of multiple people by yourself. Zero room for advancement and a stressful environment with little reward on top of that. Always short staffed and a revolving door with new employees. Co-workers are generally friendly and very approachable and make dealing with everything else slightly less painful. Constant problem with sales not being displayed and coupons that you can almost never use. It's a good position if you're in school or need extra money but not something you could live off.
Pros
Co-workers are great
Cons
Poor hours, management is hit or miss, no room to advance, short staffed
key holder, shipping receiving team lead
Receiving Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INJune 9, 2019
management only likes to tell you what you do wrong....everyday. corporate basis the amount of hours available based on last years over all profit. so you have people who are sent home half way through the day and then that makes customers stand in line an scream at you not worth the small amount of money they pay.
Positive work place
Cashier and Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Rock Springs, WYJune 8, 2019
Postive work place. Flexible work HRS. Respectful employees. The managers are respectful. The managers are open to talk to. The employees are respectful to customers.
Not much to say
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAJune 7, 2019
Not much to say, They over hire for the holidays, Most of the time don't keep the people who actually do their job, No real structure or planning on how they want things done, as long as you are a body in the building and the shifts are filled they don't care to much what goes on

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores.

Powered by Comparably