Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores

• Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • Overall satisfaction

Good Work Environment

The people there were very kind and understanding! As a cashier (under 18) I would mainly ring people up for non fabric items and to put away unused fabric. If you are under 18 you cannot cut fabric which is a big part of what people come there for. While it was nice working there, there wasn’t much to do since people were mainly buying fabric.

Pros

Very nice management

Cons

Not very much to do

Its a good start and you do learn about fabric.

Sometimes the top manager is bias on who they like and would be upset with some coworkers about not feeling well and wanting to go home. I stayed for as long as I did because I waited for the discounts like 60% off or more with my employee discount on top. Also having nice coworkers that I enjoyed working with and became friends with was nice at the end of the day. Its not a forever job but it's definitely better than working at Seaworld where in the first month a guest made me cry whereas I've been at Joanns for over 3 years. I think mainly it's because coworkers are close by to help out or back me up on my statements on how the store and coupons run when I get stuck on an angry customer who wants to use their coupons on a doorbuster price. (Which you can't.)

Pros

Some coworkers know how to bake and bring cookies or snacks for everyone.

Cons

There can be drama

Don’t do it

One would think that a small retail craft/fabric store would provide a safe and enjoyable work environment. I was proven very wrong during my time at Joanns. When COVID hit, they did not follow safety procedures set by the state and continue to not do so a year+ later. -Management both in-store and corporate does not care about providing you with a cost of living but expects you to be available 24/7 to then only schedules you 10-15hrs of work per week. They staff the store as minimally as possible and expect all the same tasks to still be completed. You will complete manager work at an hourly pay while your manager would rather be on their phone.-You will be the only cashier in the entire store but are expected to answer phones, stock items, fill online orders, take orders out to cars, ring up customers, put items back, help customers in the store, all at one time in a 4hr shift. This will frustrate customers and you will be yelled at for not being able to do 10 things at once. Their coupon/app system provides customers with frustration which then you will also be yelled at for. -During my time here, I also watched upper management misgender/deadname coworkers in the trans community.

Pros

30% employee discount

Cons

No sick time, no vacation time, benefits are almost entire paycheck, minimal hours, understaffed

absolutely miserable

i used to love the store as a customer, but made the mistake of working there. got roughly 12-15 hours a week, was constantly belittled by most of the management, and felt constantly stressed about going to work.

Bad uncaring management

I don’t think it was like super terrible but the customers often sucked, management was often unreliable and uncaring, if they don’t like you they will force you to quit by giving you no hours.

Pros

Free food sometimes, relatively relaxed environment, always got off on time

Cons

Short breaks, unreliable hours, little to no real training

Do you enjoy working at your company?

Help people considering your employer make a good choice.

A decent environment but could use improvement

Nothing really exciting. Just a lot of repetitive stuff. Management isn’t exactly the best and a lot of the time individual employees pay the price for the actions of demanding customers.

Pros

Discounted merch

Cons

Short breaks

Management is good but it is a mess

The managers are friendly, and it's very easy to get along with them. However, they did not take into account their employees schedules when making the weekly schedules, and sometimes ignored their availability. Constantly short staffed, the sale weekends are grueling, and if you are not used to working endlessly for hours, do not work here. Discounts are great, some of the regulars were cool, but exhausting to work there.

Pros

Employee discount, required breaks

Cons

Scheduling issues, hectic workplace

Talk about advancement but never follow through

Talk about advancement but doesn't follow through with promises. Leave inadequate managers in their positions. DM doesn't look into problem areas. ..

Great Place to Work

Managers are great, coworkers are great, and work/life balance is also great but the only thing that can be better is the pay rate and hours other than that it's an easy fun job!

Was fun not in the end

Began when it was a brand new store. Excellent hard working team was hired.Everyone knew what they were doing in each craft dept and had the skills and knowledge to pass on to customers. In the end 20 percent skilled workers 80 percent staff that just came for a job no skills.

Pros

Fun coworkers

Cons

Irregular shifts no insurance no benefits

Jobs at Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores

See more jobs

Good if you want an easy job

People there are nice and helpful. Easy work and short hours. Small raises so the pay isn’t good. Good job for teenagers and college students. Pro is there are many different positions you can choose from.

Pros

nice coworkers, flexible hours

Cons

bad pay

A Really Great Store, Just Wish I Got More Hours

So I got this job and I was really excited because I love Jo-Ann's and coming here made me appreciate the store more. I only was there long enough to be trained on register, and it was pretty much the basic cashier stuff. My Store Manager was really great and always had our backs. If we ever had to radio him for stuff, he would willingly dive in. This store actually felt like a second family for the five months I worked here, because we all worked as a team. I only wish I got more hours, but I understand that payroll can be tight these days. Ultimately, I had to resign due to attending college out of town, but I'd do it again if I could.

Pros

That 20% team member discount, FANTASTIC management at my store

Cons

Just wish I got more hours.

Corporate expectations were not reasonable, but the customers and co-workers were enjoyable.

I enjoyed working with the other employees and talking with the customers about their projects. I hated the way we were made to run our store. The corporate entity continually expected more work to be done while forcing the manager to progressively cut more work hours from the schedule. It seems as as though plans from the corporate office had not been well-planned because we would have to reset an entire aisle of products and two weeks later have to change it again. Our customers often had to wait a long time in line to have their fabric cut and then wait in line again to check out because of corporate payroll restrictions.

Pros

I learned a lot about sewing and fabrics from customers and co-workers. We worked together well.

Typical retail sales position

Will learn to cross train on different positions in the store (e.g.: cashier, cut counter, stocking...). Will need to make your sales goals and email/phone signup goals daily.

Pros

Discounts

Cons

Low pay, not much room for advancement

Cool environment to work in for artsy people, but low pay and bad scheduling

They only pay 8 an hour, minimum wage. Sometimes the customers can get a bit irritating because they want you to smile at them and be happy when you're stressed and overwhelmed after a day's work. And if you don't, they'll go to the manager and tell them that you're not "friendly" or talkative enough. However, if you enjoy arts and crafts, it's a pretty cool environment to work in. Co-workers didn't really work as a team, though. Nobody talked much to anyone and just kept to themselves, unless it was something job related that needed to be said. Management were too strict. The schedules they give you vary on a daily basis and you have no say in it. They also kept cutting my hours as they hired more and more people. I went from working 28 hours to about 21, which added up to almost nothing at the end of the pay period considering the horrible pay rate. You can't support yourself financially working here, bottom line. So the only thing I liked really was the store itself, but not the job and definitely not the people. A few customers were pretty cool, but most of them were very overwhelming to deal with. And the staff was mostly unpleasant.

Pros

the working environment and store discount

Cons

everything else

It’s a good place to work

It’s a good place to work but it’s just kind of boring like I want it to be busy and have lots of things for me to do without me dozing off at the register a lot of older people come there

Pros

I got off at a decent time

Cons

Boring

Fun workplace with great training

Love this place learn new things and love the people who are always smiling and they are always willing to teach and promote if your willing to work Customer service is always so important and you can grow with the company Clean environment Nice mallVery inclusive

Pros

Management helpful

Cons

Need more hours

Overall Good Experience

This had to be one of my favorite jobs. I worked as a cashier for a while before moving up to be a keyholder, which is considered a management position. As a keyholder, I would be on the floor and would have to prioritize tasks based on what was most important to get done, including what was written down for me to do on the daily list. You will have to get to know the whole store and know how to run both cut counter and register. You also have to deal with customers when you’re called if they’re angry about something like a coupon, which happened more often than not. Seniority was a huge thing here, so don’t be too surprised if you get the shifts you don’t want or the tasks no one else wants to do because new people tend to get it shoved on them. For me, it only became bad when the pandemic hit and everyone was flocking to every store.Overall it was a wonderful experience

Pros

Relaxed environment, plenty to do, supportive team

Cons

Seniority, couponers, lower pay

Great Job for Friendly People

Joann is a great place to work for friendly, outgoing people. You are encouraged to talk to customers and learn about their projects and offer suggestions. It can be really busy and it always feels like there are never enough people working.

Pros

Great Pay. Flexible Schedules

Cons

Lots of work to do with few resources. Leadership changes often.

Great culture and balance. Focused heavily on the customer experience

Overall a good company to work for. They are lacking in some areas - no support or help to advance unless you know the right people. Mentorship and career help is less than desirable, especially when you've expressed interest in upward mobility and wanting to advance yourself. Somewhat stingy with increasing your salary unless you get a big promotion.

A great gig for part-timers, not so much for full-time

Cashiered at JoAnn for about 4 years. I assume it was like most customer service/retail jobs. I started out part-time which was pretty flexible with my schooling, and cashiering was simple. When I was out of school I switched to full-time, but I never got full time hours due to low payroll and of course couldn't get any benefits. Often they had to send people home early and kept the minimum number of workers on the floor to meet payroll, but it hurt our productivity and customer service. The most frustrating thing for both customers and employees was the coupon and price adjustment policies which were always changing, all while we were expected to keep the "customer is always right" attitude. I also couldn't get a much bigger annual pay raise since I was technically part-time. It was about 10-20 cents a year, and it didnt carry over when the county's minimum wage increased (I'm not complaining about the county's wage increase, but instead the fact that JoAnn essentially put me back at entry wage every year, same as the new hires who couldn't figure out the simplest of tasks, who I had to train).Despite some of the discouraging things I listed, I am still grateful for the experience and learning how to handle difficult situations. If you're thinking of joining JoAnn, just know that every store and team will differ and may give you a better or worse experience. Overall it's a good job for someone without experience who is willing to learn, or for anyone who just needs a second gig.

Pros

Flexible schedule, employee discounts on store purchases

Cons

Conflicting policies, low payroll

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

1K
1K

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores.
Powered byComparably