Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores

United States4,076 reviews

Found 4,076 reviews matching the searchSee all 4,082 reviews
fabriccraftstoresewingdiscountcouponcustomercutting

Good Work Environment

The people there were very kind and understanding! As a cashier (under 18) I would mainly ring people up for non fabric items and to put away unused fabric. If you are under 18 you cannot cut fabric which is a big part of what people come there for. While it was nice working there, there wasn’t much to do since people were mainly buying fabric.

Pros

Very nice management

Cons

Not very much to do

Favoritism and selective ethics

If you're riding in the car then you're good... If not .. you're basically disposable. This particular location has a very totalitarian way of doing things.

Cons

Pay, hours, management

Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores insights

Based on 2,250 survey responses
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • Overall satisfaction

It can be a fun atmosphere...

Most days are a normal flow that we, as employees and customers, all can enjoy. The atmosphere is light and fun. However, on huge sale days, like Black Friday, forget about it. Plan on being there all day, either cutting fabric until your hands bleed; or at the register until your eyes bleed. People want their $0.99 a yard fabric with 3 coupons, and they want it yesterday, cut with a happy face. But other than that, its a great place to work!

Frustrating Corporate Experience

Managers were ok, pay was minimum wage, hours were low, following corporate rules was disheartening. Company doesn't care about you or the customer. They are there for the almighty dollar. General Manager was decent, didn't encourage professional growth or team atmosphere, but was flexible with your schedule. The customers expected to be given a level of service that corporate didn't allow for with bare bones staffing. As minimum wage went up in our state, they made their goals by cutting staff hours. Making those who worked have to do more with less. Left the store unstocked, cluttered, and clients wanting more than we had time to deliver.

Fun with creativity encouraged.

Great place to work for. You learn quickly and there is always help when you ask. There is a open idea about how you can succeed here it's simple. 1. Ask questions 2. Do not feel like any job is too small 3.Try to get comfortable talking to customers.

Pros

Fun place to work.

Cons

Some customers don't have patience .

Unreasonable expectations

Working as a cashier at JoAnn was fun til a manager had a harsher learning style I couldn't agree with. Overall a super easy job to learn and most customers ate nice but you do get a few Karens.

Productive workplace, fun environment, nice coworkers,

I believe that in working at joann I am receiving experience that I can use at future job opportunities. I enjoy that the management is nice, and I am always busy when working.

Pros

Adequate breaks, employee discount, nice people, get to know when the sales are

Cons

One of the current managers isn’t very nice

meh

Corporate has no idea what goes on in their stores. Hours will be cut randomly and during off seasons, you will be bare bones crews and hours. Having one person do the job of 4. The air and heat are controlled by corporate, so when we had a record heatwave, we were dripping in sweat because they refused to let us override the air. Theres an over reliance on sales and coupons. There are predatory tactics for email and coupon sign ups. Often times we were admonished for not getting the required sales, required email sign ups, or reviews and in turn our hours would be cut. Most of the complaints were about the lack of staff or stock out, and in turn we were cut back.....Yet, that doesn't solve the problem.We were actively encouraged to come in sick, and working through breaks without food or water because the staff was cut to a few in the store and could not find anyone to coverNo advancements, no good raises (except for the 10 -20 cent one every year) with no part-time benefits. The pay is extremely low, and there are no benefits for part timers. Working through Covid was horrible. I have PTSD from a few experiences here. Most of them are from corporate.Most of the time it was pretty good. But the days were staff was cut, and a big sale were very stressful. A flexible schedule for the most part.No one wants to be treated like a robot, and treated like they are less than someone by a rude customer, or a corporate head that likes to play mind games. No one wants to work to the brink of exhaustion for minimum wage.

Pros

working with crafts, discount, telling people about crafts

Cons

short breaks, poor pay, customers, overworking to exhaustion

Fun and easy place to work.

I loved working here. The management was always good about my crazy schedule. I would recommend this fun loving bunch to anyone. Hours were great and the discount was even better.

Loved and hated it

It's was alright. The pay was bad but I liked the people I worked with. There is no consistency of having the same gm because they all either quit or get fired. It was fairly easy, quiet. I liked that I got to do my work in quiet.

Great place to work with great people

I had an amazing time working here. I met some of the best people ever. They were all willing to learn and teach. I have no complaints. This was an amazing first job.

No advancement or pay

Corporate has no clue what is happening on the floor. The pay is terrible and there’s no real room for advancement. Even after being there for three years there was only a .20 cent raise.

Coworkers were fun, poor management

I loved working with my coworkers but management made it terribly hard for me to enjoy working there. There were multiple occasions where I felt I was being mistreated by my general manager. My other managers were lovely but the general manager made my job unbearable so I had to put my 2 weeks in. During the holidays they make you work black friday weekend or you cannot work there at all. Along with that, you have to work Christmas Eve or New Years. It was highly demanding and I am a college student so I couldn’t go home and see my family at times because of demanding holidays. I get that it is retail but I expected more flexibility for college students.

Unsatisfactory Managing and Training Process

I signed on to work for Joann for the holiday season and the Managers had a terrible ability to train their employees. There were things they were supposed to train me in after the first month of getting used to the job and then never did. I was taught half of the job during my last week of working there. Because of that there was almost no one at the cashier because nobody was trained for it. They were also heavily behind the times, as employee schedules were posted physically despite there being a group email that it could be sent to. Highly inconvenient if someone couldn't come in and had to do their best to contact a manager, who were almost always unavailable

Fun workplace

The workplace was funFast paced sometime sometimes not so muchPeople were nice, hours are ok Part time employee max out at like 26 or 28 hrs a week so just depends if you want more hours.

Minimum wage for maximum effort

The only good thing about working here is the 30% discount. Any level of management above SM is horrendous, I've worked at 2 locations and it's the same across the board; 2 people coverage in massive stores. They want to pay you as little as possible and have as few people working as they can. They expect you to do way more than you are compensated for.

Meh

It’s a good first job very low stakes. Managers were ok. And they were pretty flexible with my schedule they customers can be annoying though. Management was never really too bad

As a seamstress, my short time there was a good learning experience

I enjoyed working with customers and helping them with their questions regarding sewing projects & craft ideas. The job was an opportunity for me to earn a little extra money & get out of the house for a bit.

Pros

Helping customers with their projects

Cons

Understaffed, some inflexibility in regards to scheduling

Fun at first, anxiety riddled towards the end.

It was fun working here at first, and learning the store layout and handheld devices took some time to learn, but it was manageable. The back office system was more complicated and tedious at times.The manager thought they were giving “tough love” but it was hypocritical at times and bordered on bullying since I was often the target and called out in front of other assistant managers. Other assistant managers weren’t targeted when they messed up. There were other incidences that occurred, and even though I really liked working with the other sales associates, I could no longer work there feeling like a failure to management no matter how hard I worked.

Good for a starter Job

It's good for a starter job, such as High school and College students, Retire individuals, and stay home parents returning/looking to build up experience. However, the pay is not what you'll be happy about. You barely get by and would have to work twice as hard on a daily basis to achieve the pay. Customers are a given, but that's with any take on the job. Only thing, I would say for those in school build up enough money and experience from this job, pretty much any job. After you learn a much what is needed focus on your schooling and looking for another job. While working this job for better pay. Don't stay too long like I did for a 1yr. The minute they start ignoring that you have other prioritizes-----school. Regardless that you are of age 18. They will start add more responsibilities and putting in times that you need time to do work projects. Do Not like any job make you feel less than, but don't let them control. Many of those co-workers are not your friends and will cause envy towards you because you choose/or found a way out for better. Some will be happy for you; others will not but pretend to be happy for you.

Pros

Free lunches for time to time

Cons

Short breaks, demanding customers, pay, and etc

terrible place

If you use the restroom you will get a write up, they call it "unaccounted time" and stealing company time. You also have to punch out for breaks, which are also timed. Go over 1 minute and it's a write up. You are also on a very unrealistic productivity quota, if you don't meet it, then write up. You cannot get time off, even if requested in advanced. Time off is reserved for the favorites. Long hours, and also working on your day off is mandatory. Probably one of the lowest paying and strictest warehouses in visalia. Save yourself the trouble and go somewhere else.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.6 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Women's ratings

2.3Fairygodboss Score

75%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss

Compare Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores with

Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores reviews by popular job title

• Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?