Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores Employee Reviews

Found 2,560 reviews matching the search See all 2,563 reviews
There are better retail jobs you can do
Associate (Former Employee) –  MNJanuary 21, 2019
Underpaid and overworked. There is never enough staff to cover everything that needs to be done so have fun dealing with angry customers that have to wait in long lines.

If you ever need help from a manager good luck, they'll ignore you over the headset most of the time.
Pros
20% discount
Cons
pay
sweet customers
member (Former Employee) –  Paramus, NJJanuary 20, 2019
most enjoyable was the customers. management told me I was doing very well and might even stay but when it was time for seasonal they indeed cut me off. I'd call every week asking if I work and nobody told me I was cutoff aside from my first interview saying I might finish by January.
Pros
helpful coworkers
Cons
short breaks, little pay
Temp worker for the Black Friday sale
Seasonal Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Washington, MOJanuary 19, 2019
I worked only for a short time as a seasonal worker for the Black Friday sale. Co-workers were nice, schedule was flexible. The only real issue was communication issues with management. Sometimes we would run out of bags to put customers items in and had to bring in recycled bags from employees houses. When I was let go from the job I was not given any future notice just from the employee who recommended me to " Not go into work" the next time I was supposed to. If the pay was a little better I would have loved to reapply to work there.
Not the nest place I have worked at
Stock Team Member (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYJanuary 18, 2019
The management there was not all on the same page and was changed twice even though I was only there for about a month. A lot was expected of us, but in an unrealistic amount of time with consequences for not completing the tasks given.
breaks and fairly easy
cashier (Former Employee) –  Fairborn, OHJanuary 18, 2019
We clocked in, assigned to our station and work. depending on how long is your shift you could have a break or lunch. It's a retail job, we are helping customers and stocking fabrics and crafts. Once our shift is over we are called in or clean up the store then we head home.

Management is fairly good, they control what we do and where we are located.

I learned how to work in a stressful environment along with helping customers when they need it.

The workplace is busy but not complicated.

The hardest part of the job can be a difficult customer, not having items in the store, or searching for items that are not available.

The enjoyable part of the job is working with the fabric, learning the metric of yards, cleaning and using coupons for the items.
Pros
stocking fabric
Cons
difficult customer or not having item in store
Stressful and negative workplace
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJanuary 17, 2019
The pay rate is unfair, management is terrible, the career advancement is basically non existent, and my hours are always being cut, the amount of hours I’m typically given is small and as a result, I usually struggle to get my bills paid. Most of the employees are treated unfairly in my opinion as well, for as hard as most of us work, it’s not worth working here, my job here does nothing but stress me out and I always dread going in because it’s such a negative work environment for me. I do not feel appreciated for what I do no matter if they tell me I am because they do not show it what so ever. I will never recommend working here, it has been the worst work experience I’ve had so far.
Pros
None.
Cons
Everything.
Good place to work, but has the same downfalls as most retailers
Full-Time Team Member (Current Employee) –  PennsylvaniaJanuary 17, 2019
Joann is a good place to work for the most part, however the compensation for the work that is expected is hard to justify. Each day is something new, which is great, but can be overwhelming at times. The immediate managers I have had the opportunity to work with have been great and have always been willing to work with my schedule, higher level management however is hit or miss. District and regional managers often demand ridiculous payroll cuts so that the stores are unable to meet customer expectations, even when a store exceeds the planned sales by thousands of dollars. The culture in the stores is great from what I have experienced; all co-workers are willing to help each other out and are kind and care about each other. General company culture is somewhat disjointed though. Overall I feel that it is a good place to work even though it can be taxing simply due to the corporate vs. store level issues.
Pros
Decent benefits, good managers, friendly co-workers.
Cons
Corporate doesn't seem to understand what goes on at a store level, low pay, unrealistic expectations
Its fun!
Retail Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Grandville, MIJanuary 17, 2019
I wasn't there for long as I got a seasonal job for the winter. Unfortunately they coudlnt keep me on because I was under 18 at the time. It was fun while I was there though! Everyone was really nice and treated me like their little sister. A lot of the workers were older women which was nice, because they love to make crafts out of the most simplest things.
Pros
15 minute breaks no matter the length of your shift
Cons
Seasonal position for teens
fun
SALES CUSTOMER SERVICE (Former Employee) –  Vincennes, INJanuary 17, 2019
worked 4 hour shift 2 days out of the week though wasnt enough to pay my bills so i left
its a good place to work though so i didnt really want to leave
Cons
not enough work time
The hardest part of the day
Inventory Manager (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INJanuary 17, 2019
The hardest part of the day was unloading trucks usually 4 or 5 hours job while taking care of customer service. the truck drive would just keep dropping product off while I would wait on customers coming back each ti me with a grand mess to clean up.
Pros
clean store
Cons
over worled under payed
It's a retail store
Associate (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIJanuary 17, 2019
It is exactly the type of job you would expect from your typical craft retail store. All experiences completely depend on local leadership and corporate goals/visions for the year.
Increasingly stressful
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  MichiganJanuary 17, 2019
Being a manager has become more and more stressful over the last five years. Being the only salaried team member means you are required to work more and more hours to make up for the lack of payroll hours given to the store. The company has put in place a lot of new programs without the support to perform effectively. This has caused an overall negative and overwhelming environment for its staff especially the managers.
a creative environment
Inventory Specialist (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHJanuary 16, 2019
it is so nice to be surrounded by so many creative people. Other employees and even the custumers are very helpful and always share their ideas and help out in any way they can.
Good hours during the holiday season.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJanuary 16, 2019
If your gonna work outside of the holiday season be prepared to go from working 20+ hours per week to like 5-10 hours per week.
Management is mostly ok with maybe one bad apple in the bunch.
Pros
employee discount
Cons
inconsistent hours, and lack of hours
Enjoyed working
Team member (Current Employee) –  Reynoldsburg, OH 43068January 15, 2019
Enjoyed working it was fast paced, I learned how to be a cashier, management was always helpful and flexible. The hardest part was learning new things and working different hours. Most enjoyable parts was helping customers.
great place to work for students
Cashier/Customer Service Representative/Teacher (Former Employee) –  Citrus Heights, CAJanuary 15, 2019
easy job. able to learn a lot because of the demos and offering of classes to employees.l For the most part the people i worked with were great. Management is okay but it can get hectic. great place to work if you need flexible hours.
Fun place to work
Seasonal worker, Stalking (Former Employee) –  St. Albans, VTJanuary 14, 2019
I liked it there but it was only seasonal.The job itself was very easy and my coworkers were very nice and welcoming and always made sure I knew what i was doing.
JoAnn's
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Boise, IDJanuary 11, 2019
Management is fantastic. Best people I have had the pleasure of working for. Unfortunately, JoAnn corporate does not care about their employees. Low, unlivable wages and sudden shortage of hours has me frantically running looking for other work to pay the bills.
busy and non rewarding
Manager Ernesto (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 9, 2019
Always on the go, learned registers, and sharpened my customer service skills. Management was fairly decent at my location.
I enjoyed hearing about everyones projects. Consistently was told I was being considered promotions but never actually got any. Unfortunately had to stay late a lot.
Pros
crafty and artsy environment
Cons
pay
Productive work place, store manager was amazing and wish he hadn’t left!!
Key Holder & Freight Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Leandro, CAJanuary 9, 2019
One word that comes to mind is “urgency” my boss would continue to use the word in terms of getting on the ball and making magic happen within the store & its layout. When we switched management the focused started to change as well as priorities and the store has not seem to do well since.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.2Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

2.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight