Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores Employee Reviews

Found 2,442 reviews matching the search See all 2,445 reviews
FUN place to work if you're a student
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Yulee, FLOctober 21, 2018
Definitly avoid cutting counter if you start out as a seasonal employee, SAVE YOUR FINGERS. Otherwise its a fun place to work part-time, especially as a student. I still have lasting friends from my time there and i aquired new skills and even improved in math.
Pros
discounts, preview product before it hits the floor
Cons
at my location management was very poor
if you are creative its great
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Manchester, CTOctober 19, 2018
the managers are not nice they can be kinda mean. most shifts are only 4-5 hours so its not too bad you can just do your work and leave. not enough help
Pros
discounts, fun atomsphere, lots of free classes
Cons
managers at my store, kinda stressful, not enough help
I love my job
Cutting Counter (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSOctober 19, 2018
I've worked here for a couple of years and I love it. Yeah, it gets crazy on the weekends and close to Christmas time. But don't a lot of retail stores? SO many people complain about this *eyeroll*.

-a typical day at work starts out pretty busy and then dies down around dinner time
-you will learn so much! (especially at the cutting counter with the fabric)
-management can be scary at times, you just have to remember all the things they have to worry about. We have a really big store and there is ALWAYS something that needs to be done. They're all stressed and that can come off as rude when you are talking to them. But they really are wonderful people that care and want you to do a good job.
-the workplace is pretty wonderful. I love most of the people I work with.
-the hardest part about the job would be the customers. People suck. They're rude and not very understanding. I can go into detail, but I won't. Just believe that they suck.
-my favorite part is being surrounded by what I love (fabric). And how much I have learned about fabric, sewing, and such. Also the discount is fantastic. Its also fun hearing what people are making and seeing their creativity.
Pros
20% discount, its fun and easy
Cons
not enough pay, customers
VERY nice company to work for
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 18, 2018
I worked nice hours 5a-noon. I occasionally assisted at the cash counter or cutting table if staff ran late. Learning was made quick and easy and cusyomers were regulars and made work enjoyable sharing their current projects!
Pros
People
Cons
Temporary employment
Jo-Ann Fabrics
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 18, 2018
Had fun working at Jo-ann Fabrics. Had a lot to do so i was never bored. I had the opportunity to help people get the store ready for the day/week. It was a lot of fun
Pros
Good work environment
Cons
Not enough hours
JoAnn's
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Hamden, CTOctober 17, 2018
Working at JoAnn's was definitely a lesson in customer service. It taught me patience, how to multitask, and problem solve. They're very flexible, and pretty easy going as long as you get your job done.
I really enjoyed my work environment and my co-workers.
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLOctober 17, 2018
I really enjoyed my job at Joann's because of how awesome my co-workers were and how much they showed me kindness and helped me so much when I needed it and trained me so well and I got the hang of everything within a week.
Pros
Nice co-workers
Cons
Didn't like how I would be the only cashier and there was 20+ people in line.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IAOctober 17, 2018
Jo-Ann's is a great and friendly place to work. You get to know the people who come in and the projects they have in mind and how you can help them. When I worked there my coworkers were very friendly, we had our laughs, our good days, our kinda off days, our busy days (usually Sunday) and our slow days.
Pros
Friendly atmosphere, close to food places
Cons
on your feet all day
Good Money
Full time 2nd shift team member (Former Employee) –  Visalia, CAOctober 16, 2018
Good money, alright working conditions, poor management, poor HR department, poor communication, mandatory overtime and mandatory Saturdays (mainly one day off - Sunday). All around poor work place.
Pros
good money.
Cons
short breaks, poor management, poor communication, poor PTO / sick time - never up to date on check stubs.
JoAnn does not hire ex-offenders! What a shame!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cumming, GAOctober 16, 2018
JoAnn does not hire ex-offenders! What a shame! JoAnn needs to get with the times by increasing their pitiful rate of pay, and considering ex-offenders as employees!
Pros
There are none.
Cons
Poor pay, and discrimination against ex-offenders.
Great coworkers in a great, but busy, store
customer service (Former Employee) –  Eureka, CAOctober 16, 2018
They keep you on your toes, don't expect to get everything done but know it will get done. By the end of the day you'll feel good about the work you did.
Pros
15 min Breaks, friends, busy
Cons
quick, competitive, must complete all tasks
fun working place
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Round Rock, TXOctober 16, 2018
Always friendly service being precise on fabric cutting, helping customers find whatever they need for their special project, making sure the store is neat displays included.
Pros
Always snacks in breakroom n
Worst place
Lead Inventory Specialist (Current Employee) –  Parkville, MDOctober 16, 2018
This has been the worst place to work. Everyone is trying to stab each other in the back. NO TEAM WORK what so ever. No training/orientation provided to new employees. Low pay. The manager does not know anything.
Pros
hours
Cons
everything else
Ok Job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Biloxi, MSOctober 15, 2018
Job is long hours with less pay, your work hard to get treated like a low rate citizen from managers who dont care about nothing but their job and their pay. so if you want to work hard for minimum pay this is the job for you
Hard to focus on what matters
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Hudson, OHOctober 15, 2018
I can have 30 customers in the store and only 2 associates, including myself. survey scores impact performance review, but most complaints are based on company policy, not things that can be addressed at store level. Most employees make less than their teenage children do at fast food restaurants.
Pros
employee discount.
Cons
low pay for part time employees
beautiful people
(Part-time) Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Minot, NDOctober 15, 2018
I worked at Jo Anne's in Minot, ND. The management is top notch, I have yet to meet people this kind!! Fast paced, but not so much so that you don't have time to give customers great service!
A very creative place to work.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NY 14623October 12, 2018
The most enjoyable part of the day, was seeing all the new fabrics. The hardest part of the job was working at the cutting table for eight hours on black Friday. The work place culture was very supportive. The manager was not understanding. I learned how to cut all different types of fabric, and a variety of different projects.
Pros
It was a very creative environment.
Cons
The manager.
not recommended
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKOctober 12, 2018
management ok but scheduling is way messed up an then hiring outside people for full time positions an not even mentioning positions to team members even though they applied for it are only few of things wrong including lack of pay an hours if part time really don't recommend jo ann fabrics
Temporary
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fontana, CAOctober 11, 2018
Help build the store from the ground up in Fontana, then they got rid of me in December. No one told me that it was a temporary job until the store was about to open and randomly started letting people go.
hard work but great people
Store Associate (Current Employee) –  Bloomingdale, ILOctober 11, 2018
I love my co-workers, everyone is so creative and friendly, it's a great place to work. There is a lot of pressure to get things stocked, but that's the way it is with retail.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.2Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

2.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight