Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores
Here to help
Coronavirus update
Information from Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores:

Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores Employee Reviews

You’re seeing reviews close to Ashburn, VA based on your current location
Not your desired location?
Choose a different one
Ashburn, VA22 reviews
A typical day at Joanns was making sure the store was kept up, keeping the registers stocked, placing orders for customers, handling customer complaints, cashing out at the end of the work day, making sure all deposits were placed correctly in the books and in the safe.
While I was a manager at Joanns, I learned that it is not easy to be a manager. However, even with the hang ups and conflicts the learning opportunities were amazing. I learned so much with this job. It was really one of the best experiences I've had.
Pros
learning what its like to have people look to you for decisions and answers to issues.
Cons
some times having to miss out on family or friends because of the work schedule.
JoAnn Stores is a fun and creative place to work but prepare yourself for lots of physical labor, very long hours and little compensation.

Team members enjoy working at JoAnn but complain the hourly pay is too low.
Working at Joann has become increasingly difficult due to corporate issues. Corporate has clear ideas of what to push at the expense of its workers. Many of its stores are understaffed with very low pay, but they still expect team members to get tasks done as if there was a legion of employees. Often team members cannot keep up with cleaning up after thoughtless customers and are reprimanded by corporate for not keeping the store immaculate AND restocking.
This company will treat you like a light bulb, and once they've burned you out, they will dispose of you.

Any relevant experience you have will be ignored and you WILL be given minimum wage.
Pros
Coworkers are generally good people
Cons
Corporate are idiots and do not care about their people
Always understaffed, overworking the few employees they do have. The interpersonal relationships you make with your coworkers are great, but other than friendship and discounts, not a good place to work.
It is a great place to work. I would recommend my position to people who have a go-getter attitude and like working in a fast pace environment. Please enjoy yourself
The customers can be handfuls at times, but who isn't. The job was basic cashier and cleaning jobs, as I wasn't old enough for the cutting but it was an easy job with super nice people and managers.
Pros
people
Cons
hours
Most days are filled by one specific task. Though this allows for you to get better and better at what you are assigned there is not much variation to include training in different departments. Mangers are always available.
Pros
Good work enviroment.
Cons
Not much variation.
no advancement ,management rude disrespectful not a good work envirornment. worst work experience I have ever had no inncentives no vacation hours or benifits
Pros
non
Cons
non
can i say something this a great place to learn how to mange and up keep the work place another thing was the mangers was also great people to work with
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores?
Job is demanding, which is to be expected in retail, but I've worked there for nearly a decade and still earn minimum wage (because min. wage increases in my state every year since 2014 but the company doesn't want to give us raises to adjust for that). On top of that, customers can be rude, management can be incompetent, and the breaks are pitifully short. It's sad when the best thing about a job is the 20% employee discount (which is only beneficial if you're a crafter/artist, which I fortunately am).
Pros
Employee discount is nice
Cons
Short breaks, low pay, often incompetent management, few benefits
They make you do everything when you are only a cashier. They only give 15 min breaks ti everyone, they are not so friendly.
Pros
25% off total purchase
Cons
no health care no 30 min breaks
I enjoyed helping customers with their projects and answered questions that they had. The management was not what I expected, if they didn't like what you were doing instead of talking with you one on one they yelled at you in front of everyone (customers & employees)
This job could be decent for several categories of people: youngsters looking to gain work experience, older people looking to supplement income from another job or a spouse's job, craft aficionados, and people just needing income while looking for something else. The pay is pretty standard for retail, in other words, barely above minimum wage.

I worked at two stores, first in a fairly small city and then in a major metropolitan area. At the first store, the main problem was hours. Team members would generally get about 15-20 hours/week AT THE MAX at the start of a week, but at least once every week or two, you would get a call, sometimes just a few hours before your shift, that your shift had been cancelled because of poor sales. On weekday evenings there would regularly be two people on shift, myself and a manager, so when I took my break, the manager would have to cover the store herself.

The second store I worked at was much higher volume, with more staff on payroll and more hours to go around. Unfortunately, the pay-rate was the same there as elsewhere, despite it being one of the most expensive regions of the country to live in. The main problem there was the toxic relationship between the store manager and middle managers, most of whom were great people but who were regularly exploited, being asked to come in on short notice and having to stay hours past their regular shift.

We would occasionally be visited by regional managers, which was always a source of great anxiety, since these were some of the most incompetent, pompous corporate shills you'll meet. They
 - more...
Pros
Generally enjoyed most of my coworkers and managers
Cons
Awful pay (even for middle managers), understaffed stores
Good job for someone who is wanting experience in retail. Must be a customer service person. Will help you learn the ins and outs of Fabric cutting and measuring
Pros
Sociable Job
Cons
No Cons
Met many creative and wonderful people. They like to hire from within and especially those that can relate to the profession/company. I gained a vast amount of knowledge from growing with this company. Good benefits. Hours are long and require to be available on weekends, especially during the holiday season.
A typical day can be pretty busy(slow one moment and busy the next), I've learned a lot of things about sewing, and dealing with different fabrics. Management is as good as most retail jobs. Hardest and most enjoyable part is dealing with customers.
Working there is fun and every day that I go in, my assignment is already written down and personally I like that. I like to know what I'm suppose to do on the that I work.
I found my first job in the USA in your website , It was really nice experience with your website , I worked as a team member in Joann Fabric and Craft , its a different job for me but i like it especially you connect to the customer directly .
worked there for twenty years and enjoyed my different positions thoroughly. The team members are a challenge due to the low pay and not very extensive process to hire. Most retail gives a test these days to determine the competency of employees. Joanns should really consider this. Became a different company after Alan Rosskam sold it, but many of the ideas are still the same. I now work at Michaels and I see that Joanns is trying to model some of their processes after them. Overnight truck and processing would be a plus to Joanns and free up more team members for daily customer service. Payroll is the major issue, much more is needed in the stores, to complete all tasks and daily recovery.
Pros
fun, challenging, fast-paced
Cons
job was always in jeopardy, low pay led to not dedicated or caring employees
this company is not a great for potently employees. you don't get paid a lot, specifically in the gaitherburg store the manger is not that customer and employee even other mangers professional nor repectfull
Pros
customer service skills
Cons
stressed environment, short lunch
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores. Our community is ready to answer.
2.7
2.7
Women's ratings

2.3Fairygodboss Score

75%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores Reviews by Job Title