Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores
Happiness rating is 59 out of 100

Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores Employee Reviews for Store Manager

JoAnn Stores is a fun and creative place to work but prepare yourself for lots of physical labor, very long hours and little compensation. Team members enjoy working at JoAnn but complain the hourly pay is too low.
Upper management was great, ability to do job daily was great. Wonderful team in store. Fun environment, great peer support within the district. District Manager was a great role model and a great boss.
Pros
Support from DM and Peers
Cons
Manage all aspects of the store. Count drawers, file paperwork, walk entire store to create a detailed list of all needed tasks for the day. Cut fabric, run the register, receive freight, customer service, recover the store, answer corporate emails, as well as district manager emails and RVP emails. Fill buy online pick up in store orders, manage breaks and meals for employees, write schedules, participate in conference calls.
Pros
Employee discount, Pto
Cons
Too much to do with not enough payroll
Energetic, high paced retail environment. Flexible scheduling makes it ideal for people who are working a second job or going to school. Perfect for people who loves to work in a customer oriented setting.
Fun, fast paced, and satisfying. Upper management was great. Working with a diverse group of people daily was the fun part of my job. Coaching and teaching the team on what great customer service is. Building personal relationships with the customers and watching my team do the same.
Pros
Fun environment, great team
Cons
Would you rate your company five stars?
Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.
It's a tough battle to tell the truth hear. Let's just say beware on what you do they will fire you for what every other managet do. And customer relations does not back employees..
Joann use to be a great place to work, but recently it is changeing and there is no life and family balance and too many hours every week with lack of respect from management.
I loved my store, I loved my staff, I loved my customers. JoAnns is a great company with a great legacy. Crafting is love of mine, and I would recommend my store to anyone serious about Crafting.
Good people work for the company, but it is getting harder to accomplish everything required of us as hours are being cut and sales goals are becoming harder to reach. It seems like most weeks are a shot in the dark as to whether we'll be under in labor. It makes it very stressful for management.
Not really a good place to work 10 years ago I have no idea what its like now or who is running the company. The customer were to best part of my day they were awesome.
Worked lots of hours as management, not a lot of help to with management duties, pay was pretty good but not a lot of days off. very busy work place and lots of great customers.
Pros
lots of overtime
Cons
not a lot of help
Once hired from college as a Store Manager, I realized a couple things: 1 - The pay was not very much, considering the amount of work & hours required for the position. 2 - There was almost no room for advancement.
Pros
Interacting with customers.
Cons
Pay & no advancement
ok company to work at, advancement is slow. Work life not acceptable and little consideration of family. Not good on real life balance. Good company for no advancement
Being the store manager required me to work a lot of hours where I was unable to have a personal life with my family. Unreasonable demands and passive aggressive upper management.
One of the worst companies I have worked for to date, upper management is shady and unethical. Discovered they were messing in the labor numbers and the district manager comes in and makes false statements regarding associates.
Good place to work with an upbeat environment and laid back people. some of the older folk wish everything was done for them in an instant. Not a bad place.
I started working when I my kids were small with in 4months became a key carrier and then soft line supervisor then inventory control Operations Manager etc... then Store Manager
The current district manager made the managers under his control feel threatened. My experience prior to his management style was alway positive and supportive even when they were correcting you. The current district manager caused extreme stress among the managers.
Cons
Trying to manage without enough payroll to execute effectively.
A typical day at work would be cutting fabric and helping the customers find what they are looking for in the store. Restocking merchandise that has been left by the customers. Placing sale signs if needed for upcoming sale events. Keeping the fabric organized and clean. Keeping the customers happy by presenting them with a smile and friendly attitude. The work atmosphere was great. Learned mostly from the customers and their experience with fabrics and crafts.
Pros
keeping customers happy
Cons
Restocking merchandise that has been left by the customers
Unattainable expectations with minimal labor/payroll. Unable to provide that one on one experience that the Joann customers expect and that we want to give.
Could be a good company to work for if the could manage to pull together one clear directive and stick to it for more than a quarter at a time. Compensation is good for salary and hours are not bad for the store level management. There is room for advancement due to high turnover. Low pay for hourly associates and no benefits. CEO is good but needs more hands in the DTL to store operations.
Pros
relaxing atmosphere, work is pleasant
Cons
Angry old ladies, upper management is confused