Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores Employee Reviews in Fort Myers, FL

Found 22 reviews matching the search See all 2,840 reviews
Great
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLAugust 1, 2019
I loved working at Joann’s the customers are very friendly and the staff are so knowledgeable and helpful it is just a great company to work for overall
A Creative Retail Environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLMay 3, 2019
Best management team, good marketing and new employee training materials from corporate, team members work together to create a fun environment. Hours are flexible and the ability to cross train and move up is encouraged. Job is physically demanding as you are on your feet all day and may require heavy lifting. Pay is low with minimal annual raises.
Pros
Merchandise discounts
Cons
Low pay
Fun but not very understanding
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLMarch 10, 2019
As much as I loved being able to work at a craft store, the main manager was not very understanding that I am a college student who needs to have time to study and be able to go home on breaks because I live in Orlando. She also expected me to put as much time and effort into the store as she and the older employees do. She also does not like if someone calls out sick or with a family emergency or for anything. At one point I told her I couldnt work on Tuesdays anymore because I had therapy on those days and I missed too many appointments already. Her only reply was that I shouldn't have put Tuesdays in my availability. As much as I enjoyed all my coworkers and all the customers, the main manager made it extremely stressful because she refused to understand that my availability needed to be changed and that I had a close friend kill herself and her funeral ended up on a day i was scheduled to work even though I had already requested off months in advance before she died.
Cons
Unpaid breaks
Typical Day
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLFebruary 11, 2019
My job as a Store Manager was to ensure the store was Maintained to company standards Inventory of the store was in good order. I trained and held team accountable. I made sure all company tasks were done weekly and on time and that customers were given excellent customer service by observing team and leading by example.
Pros
Great benefits and Great store team
Not a happy place
Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLFebruary 6, 2019
Re-branded 2 years ago with new CEO. Her concept of "Her Happy Place" did not translate into the real world of working at Jo-Ann's which is very task orientated with little to no payroll to complete these tasks and provide a "Happy Place"
Typical Retail
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLJanuary 9, 2019
There was never anything particularly special about Jo-Anns, except it's a craft and fabric store. Nothing stood out as being different or exceptional compared to other retail stores when it comes to how employees are treated and handled.
Not her Happy Place
Store Team Leader of Large Format (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLAugust 1, 2018
JoAnn was my life's passion for years as strange as that may sound. I lived and breathed it 10-12 hours a day 6-7 days a week. However that was taken advantage of.
Pros
Working with creative people and the products they love
Cons
No work/life balance for salaried management. Hard to keep people at min wage
Poor management and negative attitudes
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLJune 5, 2018
The work environment was very negative and they understaffed themselves. The managers were poor communicators. I just felt like people were spitting venom over the way it was being run. There was no positive effort.
Pros
Excellent store
Cons
Terrible employees
Nice place to work but can be stressful at times
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLJune 4, 2018
There are a lot of sales and coupons to keep track of. Customers did make the job more stressful then it needed to be but I loved my co-workers and learned a lot about sewing and other crafts while working there. Not a good place to go to if you need benefits but it's a great 1st job or if you want a change in retail. There's pretty flexible on hours but I don't know with the new management now. All and all it was a nice job and would recommend this to others.
Pros
Free classes and great discounts
Cons
no benefits, a lot of coupons to keep track of, late nights
Productive and fun work environment, not great management
Sales Associate/Task Team Member (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLMarch 6, 2018
Working for Joann's was a fun work environment and was very productive. Management was never a great area. They didn't really manage well. They would ask you to do one thing, but never give full explanations on how to do them and then would get mad that it wasn't done properly. Employees were all very nice and carefree.
Pros
Free lunches, store discount
Cons
improper management
wewere giving discoutns from the start date.
Retail Sales (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLNovember 3, 2017
Make sure shelves were stocked and looked presentable.
Helped customers with merchandise and cutting material.
I learned how to inventory merchandise.
Work place was fun going.
Helping customers with there choices was my favorite.
A good part time seasonal job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLAugust 22, 2017
A good positive work atmosphere for me with customers coming in
with problems in sewing and figuring out what to do for them. It was very satisfying.
Pros
good location, nice cliental, fun co-workers
Cons
did not allow a week UP NORTH to visit family at Christmas
Fun work environment
Customer Service desk/ cashier and Task Team (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLJune 20, 2017
It's a fun environment where you get to meet and talk with customers. It was especially fun to talk to repeat customers about their projects they were doing.
Poor management & little raise
Part time Cashier/ Team member (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLMay 10, 2017
I worked there for 2 years. Towards my second year, I didn't like it. Was looking for other jobs so I could quit.Oftentimes,we didn't have enough back up, job could get dull, and some stressful situations with customers over prices. I also did not like nor was competent for the fabric counter.
Friendly coworkers and customers
Customer service, stocking, cashier (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLMarch 7, 2017
I enjoyed working with the customers and helping them find the appropriate items they needed for whatever project they were working on.
This was one of the most friendly environments I have worked in.
Pros
Smiles all day
Cons
Very low pay
unreliable hours
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLDecember 17, 2016
make sure this job isn't your sole income. One week you may be scheduled 25 hours, the next week you may only get 2 hours. You will bounce between cashier or fabric cutter
Team oriented and task driven
Inventory Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLAugust 11, 2016
Ever since I started in retail I wanted to excel and learn all I could. I learned how to put each team member in the right position to succeed and how to evaluate the weak points to properly coach them on how to improve. Also I've learned the financials side of rental and how to read a P&L(profit and Lost) report, and how to balance payroll. The best part of the job is satisfying the customers, although not always an easy thing, as a team we work together to do so.
poor Relationship with employees
RETAIL ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  fort myers, flFebruary 3, 2015
Not enough support for the team. Poor hours and need more people. Change your job description with out talking with the employee
Pros
Enjoyed the task team that i wasoriginally on.
Cons
Not intended to be a full time cashier
Wonderful employees, great employee discounts.
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLFebruary 28, 2014
It's a great place to work with customers of all ages and seeing what ideas they come up with when they purchase the fabric or craft items they do. Management is very good about training on new policies, and all are great to work with.
Pros
Great creative customers, great employee discounts.
Cons
Great company to gain Management experience and build a career
Assistant Manager/ Sr. Merchandiser Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLJanuary 8, 2014
Its a great job for individuals who don't mind working various schedules. For anyone seeking to apply for the MTL position I would advise to find a large format. Mid and small format stores because of a lack of payroll, at times can stack a lot on this position. If you are not good with time management or aren't good under pressure, this position is not for you.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.1Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

2.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight