Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores Employee Reviews for Cashier/Sales

Found 82 reviews matching the search See all 2,929 reviews
Poor Management is a Deal Breaker
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Roseville, MISeptember 12, 2019
I spent a total of 5 years with this company and the last two years under an upper management crew that only cared about the store itself and not the employees that helped to keep it afloat, made the whole store weak and caused a once high ranking flagship store to crash. I experienced first hand mistreatment and abuse from the main manager. HR never listened to 2 years of reporting.
you work hard.
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CASeptember 11, 2019
The hardest part of the day is that there is so much work to do. When you are not on lunch or break you work fast and hard. you do learn to manage time and you normally work with good people.
breaks and lunches are fair 15 for breaks 30 for lunches..
Pros
good people
Cons
The harried pace
Overall, great experience!
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 7, 2019
Although I personally had issues with management. The company as a whole is okay, they really do have moment of, wow why would you do that? But their format and way of doing things ahead of time; I had always appreciated. Store environment really depends who you're working with in your team.
Pros
Good benefits, decent pay, work not too bad.
Cons
You'll get the occasional tough old lady customer. But no really. This company is great.
Entry or retirment job. Not a career.
Cashier and Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New HampshireAugust 1, 2019
Worked at the place for over 5 years, was my first job, wanted to advance in the company and never did(I pursued it hard asking the head manager and even the district manager). I got lucky and started at 8 an hour and when I left I wasn't even getting 9, and I worked their for over 5 years!!!
Would be a decent job for someone going to school or as a retirement job.
Great place to get experience with many areas of crafts.
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fresno ca at RiverparkJuly 8, 2019
Fast pace, busy, n fun learning. A lot of phone couponing discounting at the register. Time goes by fast. Work with alot of different ages. Variety is the spice of life.
Love crafts
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJune 30, 2019
Fun place to work, needs to have better pay. Get to meet a lot of people. Work as cashier and put up stock.Hours are great. Friendly staff and great to work with
Positive work place
Cashier and Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Rock Springs, WYJune 8, 2019
Postive work place. Flexible work HRS. Respectful employees. The managers are respectful. The managers are open to talk to. The employees are respectful to customers.
manger was weird
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCMarch 14, 2019
I loved working at joanns. loved the team and three of the managers except the HR. disrespected me as if i am unintelligent. i just never wanted to hear what he had to say because he wanted to talk everytime i'm in a rush to leave.he's a manipulator, bipolar.
Pros
great team members!!!!
Cons
crazy manager (HR) low pay
Fun but not very understanding
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLMarch 10, 2019
As much as I loved being able to work at a craft store, the main manager was not very understanding that I am a college student who needs to have time to study and be able to go home on breaks because I live in Orlando. She also expected me to put as much time and effort into the store as she and the older employees do. She also does not like if someone calls out sick or with a family emergency or for anything. At one point I told her I couldnt work on Tuesdays anymore because I had therapy on those days and I missed too many appointments already. Her only reply was that I shouldn't have put Tuesdays in my availability. As much as I enjoyed all my coworkers and all the customers, the main manager made it extremely stressful because she refused to understand that my availability needed to be changed and that I had a close friend kill herself and her funeral ended up on a day i was scheduled to work even though I had already requested off months in advance before she died.
Cons
Unpaid breaks
it was fine
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLFebruary 12, 2019
it was my first job so I can't really can't complain too much but the pay wasn't that great the manager was cool she was understanding of my needs and situations.
Alright Starter Job
Sales Associate | Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, WADecember 11, 2018
Decent retail job with basic retail job pros and cons. It can be stressful at times but the other employees rally to make sure it's bearable. Management and full time employees are offered benefits.
co-workers are fun to work with and be around
Sales Associate and Cashier (Current Employee) –  FloridaOctober 25, 2018
I like talking to different customers and finding out what kind of projects they are doing and giving them my opinion on different textures or colors.
productive, fun place
Sales Associate/Cutting Counter Member/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Plantation, FLSeptember 27, 2018
I worked on the fabric side of Joanns at the cutting counter. I had to quickly learn the different kinds of fabrics to be able to assists customers properly with their projects and home improvement plans. We were all a team and worked with each other whenever we needed help. Most of our hobbies outside of work were the same, so it was easy to relate and get along with each other and with an customers so it made the work environment pretty fun and relaxing even during our busy hours. The only downside was getting the usual type of customers that would just try to find any little thing to complain about and make your day awful, but it was great to actually have a managers that would have your back unlike some companies. The discount was great too because you could use it on top of coupons so the savings were amazing!
Pros
enjoyable, discounts, coupons
Cons
short breaks, being on your feet for 8+ hours
Only lasted a week
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  North Canton, OHSeptember 24, 2018
Saddest excuse for a craft store. Horrible communication issues between higher-up and associates. Managers acted EXTREMELY snobby and snooty, with their noses in the air at all times. Associates didn't even know what to do each day, there was never enough time to finish any tasks because we were ALWAYS being called up to the register to deal with the most irritable customers screaming their lungs out over craft products. You're better off working at Mcdonald's than working here. Stay far away as possible.
Pros
Nothing.
Cons
Every con you could imagine.
Constant turnover
Cashier and Fabric Department Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LASeptember 11, 2018
There seems to be constant turnover of personnel at the store. Rather unorganized. very nice fabrics and other merchandise at pretty reasonable prices. Almost zero room for advancement, however, and all employees are part-time.
awful
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaSeptember 2, 2018
worst job i had. they treated me like i was stupid when i struggled and just shamed and embarrassed me in front of other employees. I won't even shop in there anymore cause I don't want to support a business that hires such awful managers and employees.
Hard, Stocking, Decorations
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Draper, UTAugust 16, 2018
JoAnn Fabric and craft was one of my first jobs. They didn't pay very much and the managers were not the best. Worked at the register and had long lines. I also worked in the freight it was easier than the register. Overall I do not recommend working here because of the poor reward system from the managers.
Pros
Decorations, Crafts
Cons
Managers, Pay
Not a good place to work, management support is poor and customers can be miserable
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Robinson Township, PAAugust 1, 2018
Corporation does not support the store managers so quite often not enough employees to handle the store, they run out of things like bags and register tape, training is pretty much non existent. They don't pay well.
Pros
money off of products they sell
Cons
everything else
Working at Joanns
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAJuly 28, 2018
I was surprised by how relaxed the job environment was for a retail job. Customers were always extremely nice to me and pleasant. I worked a seasonal job and even on black friday, I didn't have mean impatient customers. The one thing I hated about this job was management. I heard the two main store managers complain about the other team leaders constantly. Honestly, they were the most unprofessional and awful people. If I was working at a different location, I would have requested to stay on after the holidays. If you are looking for a part-time or retail job and are in a store with good managers, this could be a really nice work environment.
Pros
short shifts, flexible, good about giving breaks
Nice place to work but can be stressful at times
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLJune 4, 2018
There are a lot of sales and coupons to keep track of. Customers did make the job more stressful then it needed to be but I loved my co-workers and learned a lot about sewing and other crafts while working there. Not a good place to go to if you need benefits but it's a great 1st job or if you want a change in retail. There's pretty flexible on hours but I don't know with the new management now. All and all it was a nice job and would recommend this to others.
Pros
Free classes and great discounts
Cons
no benefits, a lot of coupons to keep track of, late nights

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.1Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

2.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores Reviews by Location