Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores Employee Reviews for Customer Service Associate / Cashier

Found 106 reviews matching the search See all 2,934 reviews
I loved it
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, AROctober 19, 2019
Everyone there was so nice and it was always a good work environment. The moment everone made me feel welcome. They all where always so helpful and i miss it
Pros
Good people
Cons
No answer
Cashier
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Sherman, TXSeptember 30, 2019
Amazing job, super fun and self paced. Stocking and running register. Easy job with good coworkers and friendly customers. There just weren't enough hours. Instead of giving full time hours they hire a bunch of 15 to 20 hour employees and give minimum wage. Would definitely have stayed had they given me either better pay or more hours.
Terrible place to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Greenbelt, MDSeptember 19, 2019
I was working in a Greenbelt branch. The management was rude and cold, the word "culture" had no existence there. The atmosphere among employees was very stiff and filled with stress. The store was constantly understaffed and disorganized.The employees are expected to work very hard for a minimum pay.
Pros
Cons
no benefits for part time workers, poor management
Management sucks
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAAugust 24, 2019
I never thought I’d have to consider my mental health when working at a craft store. Management is the worse I’ve ever worked for. Nothing is ever done correctly even when it is.
Fun place to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  MinnesotaJuly 30, 2019
Jo Ann is a fun place to work, there are some perks but turn over is high and pay is low. A very part time job. Scheduling is pretty flexible but weekends are required.
Fun place to work, lack of hours, very flexible schedule
Cashier/Cutter Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Ontario, ORJuly 26, 2019
You will not get many hours to earn a substational paycheck here but pluses are most of your co-workers and MOD's are awesome and helpful for it is very busy (at least in Ontario store where I cashiered) This store has a small staff. Got an employee discount.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Not many hours
A very fast paced and reactive place to work.
Cashier/Customer Service/Demonstrations (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, NJJuly 21, 2019
I liked working as a cashier and setting seasonal aisles. The store was always busy. We had to work, no standing around even in last summers high heat with out ac. Many situations came up which caused me to leave unfortunately. Very low starting salary.
No communication, rude employees, overall disrespectful staff
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJuly 10, 2019
Despite me being friendly to other workers, and despite me going above and beyond in my work ethic, every single worker there was extremely rude and outright disrespectful towards me for absolutely no reason.
Alright
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Geneva, ILJuly 8, 2019
Decent place to work. Management was kind, customers were nice and frequent. CEOs and corporate were terrible. Imposed many rules that the workers and customers did not agree with.
Eh
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Saginaw, MIJune 16, 2019
This was my second “real” job and truthfully Not a totally great place to work. Your are not paid what you are worth and the management isn’t great either.
Not Enough People
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Minnetonka, MN 55305June 4, 2019
I had never worked retail. I was given limited training. When I would have to process a transaction I didn't understand I felt that management was upset that I couldn't figure it out.
I loved working at JoAnns
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Tupelo, MSMay 30, 2019
JoAnns was one of the best jobs I had. Everyone was nice and it was a slow work environment. I liked that the managers were flexible with the hours. Overall, JoAnns is a great place to work.
Mostly relaxed work environment
Cashier/Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaMay 28, 2019
I know very little about crafting but working here has been very simple and fulfilling. The majority of the customers are very nice and pleasant to deal with and often find joy in receiving my help.
Low low pay--don't waste your time!!!!
would be cashier/customer service (Former Employee) –  Anderson County, SCMay 28, 2019
Went for a job interview today! All seemed fine until I found out I had to clean the men's and ladies restroom including mop the floors!
The pay they were offering was $7.75 an hr--ARE YOU KIDDING????
Pros
Not many hrs.
Cons
LOW PAY--and cleaning restrooms?????
A good place for someone who doesn’t need a lot of money.
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  North Fort Myers, FLMay 17, 2019
They work you to the bone for minimum wage with a yearly increase of .20 cents to all team memebers no matter of your performance quality. Corporate does not care about the team members. The hours are always up and down there is no guarantee of hours.
A Creative Retail Environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLMay 3, 2019
Best management team, good marketing and new employee training materials from corporate, team members work together to create a fun environment. Hours are flexible and the ability to cross train and move up is encouraged. Job is physically demanding as you are on your feet all day and may require heavy lifting. Pay is low with minimal annual raises.
Pros
Merchandise discounts
Cons
Low pay
Fun work place
Cashier, Customer Service, Stocking (Former Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CA 95403April 3, 2019
A typical day was I was either cashiering, stocking shelves or putting new fabric away.

I learned to work with a variety of women while using a headphone set to communicate.

The management were all hard workers and friendly.

The workplace was more work while some slight chatting was okay.

The hardest part of the job was not having a fixed schedule.

The most enjoyable part was working with the customers. With it being a craft/fabric store the customers were all really friendly.
Pros
Great customers and friendly co-workers
Cons
No fixed schedule which is difficult when you have young kids
fun place to work for a girl
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Medford, ORMarch 10, 2019
I actually liked the job and really liked the people. Not enough money, not enough hours. Very fun place to work if you are involved in crafts and sewing.
Did not like always being shorthanded and having mad customers.
I enjoyed the fast paced
Pros
fun for sewing and crafts
Cons
no benefits
great place to work for students
Cashier/Customer Service Representative/Teacher (Former Employee) –  Citrus Heights, CAJanuary 15, 2019
easy job. able to learn a lot because of the demos and offering of classes to employees.l For the most part the people i worked with were great. Management is okay but it can get hectic. great place to work if you need flexible hours.
Great place to work for any age
Cashier/ Customer Service/ Product Stocker (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GAJanuary 5, 2019
A typical work day would be moderately busy. Enough to where the days didn't feel slow. Although we did have some slow days which makes your time there feel very long. But it was fun working there, employees and management were nice and easy to get along with.
Hands down my favorite place that I've worked at so far. And I like to talk to people so that makes it all the more enjoyable. You learn a lot about making crafts, and the customers love to give information on the projects they've worked on which helps you learn a lot more. The hardest part of the job was just getting all of the products out when new shipments come in, because we were short on people who could come in to work early mornings.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores.

Powered by Comparably