Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores Employee Reviews for Retail Assistant Manager

Found 146 reviews matching the search See all 2,933 reviews
Fun and great customers
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Odessa, TXOctober 1, 2019
I have learn to receive fedex and ups .
count the register drawers
do paper work
easy going
hardest part of the jobs is unloading to truck
best part of the day is helping the customers
JoAnns is a nice place to work
Key Holder Manager / Fabricsupervisor (Former Employee) –  Loveland, COSeptember 23, 2019
We were always busy either stocking the shelves , straightening up the store or helping customers . Never a dull moment . I spent many nights working when the store was closed straightening up my fabric department because we never had enough help to do it during the day .
Good if you don't expect a lot of hours or pay
Team Member/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Grants Pass, ORSeptember 19, 2019
I mostly enjoyed my job. There was a lot of inconsistency in the work environment, hours, and management during my employment there. I sometimes would get as many hours as I wanted (between 20-30) and other weeks I would get around 10 hours. It can be a very fast paced and stressful environment, and sometimes it's a lot slower, but there is always something to do.
Pros
Discount!
Cons
Low pay, low hours
Job
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Columbus, INSeptember 19, 2019
When new management took over this store it just went downhill. If the district manager doesn’t like you he will do anything and everything to get rid of you. The manager is a horrible person to work for. Not nice people at all to work for. Some of the co-workers are lazy and end up making you do everything.
Pros
Discount
I don't want to
Full time Key-Holder (Current Employee) –  Denton, TXSeptember 13, 2019
Don't get paid enough for all that in entailed, especially when you start moving up. Having it as a part time cashier/stocking gig is fine. Wouldn't recommend but I wouldn't trash it
A great place to work
Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 30, 2019
My manager is more than willing to work with my schedule and requests for time off. The people are knowledgeable about most of their products and fun to work with. I stay busy from the minute I clock in until I leave. There is room for advancement in the company if you desire.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Retail hours
Great place to share my sedwing and crafting knowledge
Part Time Keyholder (Current Employee) –  Sherman, TXAugust 26, 2019
I enjoyed the interaction with the customers, sharing my knowledge of different crafting and sewing skills. Helping others to accomplish their goal is a pleasure.
Pros
The enviroment of crafting
Cons
being pressured or guilted into pushing myself beyond my physical limitations.
Its a joke
Part-time keyholder (Current Employee) –  Owensboro, KYAugust 23, 2019
Corporate doesn't give stores enough payroll to ensure that the employees can take breaks and lunches. So if you enjoy working straight through your shift with no break then apply
Too Stressful for Poor Pay
Full Time Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAAugust 15, 2019
The only people who are paid even relatively well are the store managers. Base it rate starts between $8-8.75, which is fine, but when you’re a full-time shift manager and barely making enough to cover HALF of rent and utilities alongside car and insurance, it’s time to take your efforts to a company that actually cares.
N/a
Inventory Coordinator / Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Kingston, NY, USAugust 2, 2019
I had to wake up 4:00 to 6:00 am in morning to work and wait outside until someone let me come in every time; I only worked 4 hours a week due to deceasing sales. Good when I first started working there but now it's not a fun place to work at anymore. Amazing sweet customers to work with and all of coworkers were wonderful.
Únreasonable time limits and hours given for tasks.
Key holder and Task team member (Former Employee) –  Ridgecrest, CAJuly 30, 2019
Don't believe I was treated fairly. Can't be rehired. Doñt feel I was given a fair déal. I truely loved my job. Lovéd my customers. Unréasonable work tasks for the amount of time they allow.
Depends on your team
Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 28, 2019
JoAnn's has the potential to be a fun and exciting work environment, but a lot of that comes down to management and your work team. If everyone is upbeat and willing to learn and to help others, it is a genuinely good place to work. I've had good bosses while working there and terrible ones, and it all depends on the people.
Joanns
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  West Babylon, NYJuly 16, 2019
Working there was like being in high school again. There are clicks and if you dont fit into that click then you get attitude. In the beginning it's fine but if they dont like you they dont treat you good.
Nice environment to work in retail
Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Vincennes, INJune 30, 2019
I love my job and what I do. It's a relatively simple job with repetitive tasks and is easy to learn and be trained into. The only problems I can foresee would be with customer service, but you could say that with any retail position.
Pros
Friendly team members
Cons
Missed breaks
Need to be flexible if you want hours
Full-time Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Burton, MIJune 25, 2019
If you are not flexible than you will little to no hours. You never get raises unless minimum wage goes up. You can’t move up in the company unless you want to drive to far places to be an assistant manager or manager.
Fun place to work, but poor pay.
Team Member and Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Quakertown, PAMay 26, 2019
I worked at Jo-Ann's for 5 years, and even got promoted to a Key Holder position. I always enjoyed working there and interacting with customers, because we all shared similar interests in sewing and crafting. To be honest, I never wanted to leave, but I had to, only because when I was a Key Holder, I was getting treated poorly by the managers and the pay was never increased. I barely got a raise when I took the Key Holder position.
I will admit that it was a fun place to work at, but the pay isn't really worth it. Unless you're a high school or college student that needs to make a few bucks. But other than that, it's a decent place to work, would definitely recommend looking for work else where.
Pros
Enjoyable work environment, decent breaks
Cons
Low pay, inconsistent hours
Understaffed
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  MichiganMay 26, 2019
At both of the stores I worked at, we were understaffed and underpaid. The corporate company wants to provide quality customer service and stay on top of current shopping trends (such as purchasing online and picking up in store or the mobile app/coupons) but it is impossible without adequate staffing, and because of this, the consumer often suffers. JoAnn is great for a part-time job if but nothing for the discount, but it isn't a great long term career option.
Pros
Employee Discount
Cons
No overtime, understaffed, complicated coupon policies
Fun workplace where you can meet some crafty people
Keyholder (Former Employee) –  Wellington, FLMay 10, 2019
As a crafter myself I learned a lot on the job as well as from customers about how to improve my own artistic ability. The work environment is mostly relaxed as long as you do your job. Coworkers and management all friendly.
Pros
Decent discount, close knit employee group
Cons
Low pay for cost of living
Corporate needs work
Part Time Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAApril 23, 2019
An okay place to work if you’re a student like me because they’re flexible with your schedule. The only time there are hours is October-December, January-September you will most likely need a second job unless you’re okay working 20 hours or less a week. Corporate is constantly telling us to cut hours so they can save money on payroll. The employee discount is a joke (25%-30%) and customers receive coupons for the same amount! Our workload expanded but our wage is the same (my store ships items to customers now like we’re a warehouse but we’re just a store!) Also, most customers are women and they are a handful.
Pros
Flexible scheduling
Cons
No hours
Hard working
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 18, 2019
Joann's is a hard working place. With a tight community. I also is up to date on its tech. if you are planning on going to school this is a great pt job.
Pros
Fun, informational, greate if you need some extra cash while in school
Cons
low hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.1Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

2.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores Reviews by Location