Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores Employee Reviews for Retail Sales Associate

Found 108 reviews matching the search See all 2,939 reviews
Not Bad
Retail Sales (Former Employee) –  Bullhead City, AZSeptember 7, 2019
Its easy if you are trained properly. However, I didn't get trained in stocking or cutting. You learn as you go in cutting different fabrics, but stocking is different as you do need to know where everything goes.
Would NOT recommend
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Ocala, FLSeptember 7, 2019
Not as great as I originally thought it would be. Management was stressful and abusive to it's employees. I could go on about half the things that occurred there, but I rather not because I could be here all day. If you want to find work. Look elsewhere!
Friendly People
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Norristown, PASeptember 4, 2019
It was a calm environment with very friendly people who both worked there and shopped there. This made it easy to shop for and stock items since the work culture there is relatively laid back.
Busy, Busy, Busy
Retail - PT Team Member (Current Employee) –  Maplewood, MNJuly 16, 2019
The work schedule is flexible and can be fixed to fit your schedule. Due to budget shortage, hours can be cut for months. The customers are awesome, but at times there can be the cranky ones. Lots and lots of merchandise recovery & aisle clean up after busy days. The store merchandise changes a lot and (given task) can be overwelming. Overall, everyday is never the same and can be a challenge (esp. during the holidays). The management and the great team members are a bonus.
it was a good part time job to have.
Retail Sales Team Mamber (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDJuly 13, 2019
It was very busy all the time. Long lines of customers and their request. Especially during holidays. Once the store closed we had lots of recovery. That means re-shelf bulks of fabric and returns,
An alright job.
Retail Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Summerville, SCJuly 8, 2019
It’s not a terrible place to work , but it can become stressful . When they have you on your feet for 6+ hours , they think a 15 minute break is enough .
High paced customer service
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJuly 1, 2019
I've worked retail before, and working here was not anything I hadn't expected. Days were high paced with many tasks to accomplish. My coworkers were and awesome team to work with on a daily bases to get stuff done in a timely manner and have a enjoyable work day. Management on the other hand was challenging. Unclear instructions were given regularly, and when asked vague answers were given when issues arose.
Fun to work
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Colma, CAJune 26, 2019
I enjoyrd working there. One of my hobbies is sewing. So being able to mingle with customers and learn new amd improved methods to sometimes the madness was great.
Low quality retail job
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAJune 14, 2019
Jo-Ann’s has everything people hate most about working retail. Minimum wage for associates and not much more for the team leads, Laughable raises (20 cents once a year, for all associates, not performance based), Having to work all the positions, Working every weekend, NO benefits as everyone below team lead is part-time only, no exceptions. Understaffed at closing particularly so many customers complained that no one is ever available to help them on the actual sales floor. Very corporate culture. Everything you do at the end of the day in their store supports corporate more than anyone else, especially yourself. You wont make a living on Jo-Ann wages no matter how long you stay. You will be scraping by. It is a low quality retail job. Coworkers and management were good.
Pros
some schedule flexibility, store management, co-workers
Cons
Bad pay, no benefits, everything else
great second job
Sales Floor (Current Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAMay 17, 2019
typical retail work... management and colleagues are great however salary is not enough to live on definitely suggest it as a second job or for students
Pros
discount
Cons
pay isn't great
working at Jo-Ann
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 24, 2019
It was a pleasant experience that I had the honor of working at the business. At times, I often wonder about management on talking to their employees to help them progress but at that time, I was focused on getting my career up.
Great job for college students
Store Associate (Current Employee) –  Alhambra, CAMarch 31, 2019
Working at Joanns is great for college students and people who are looking for part-time employment only (exceptional if you are looking to work as a store manager).
Pros
20 percent employee discount
Cons
not enough work hours
Meh
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  FloridaMarch 30, 2019
Managers were great. The people that work there are bitterly and snarky to fellow employees. The pay was about minimum wage so most of the people working there were grumpy seniors and gumpy newbie college age kids. I don't have many expectations for a job but I expected a place where my coworkers would be all excited about crafting and creativity. Deeeefinitely not.

As for the customers. They are normal retail customers. Talk your ear off and coupon you to death. But they are mostly nice though.
Pros
Discount is fine but the Joann App beats the discounts.
Cons
Pay pay pay
Nice place to work, never boring
Retail Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJMarch 23, 2019
Everyone I work with is nice and has a helpful attitude. The work is interesting because I enjoy crafts. I get to do different jobs and talk to people about their creative projects.
Pros
team member discount
Cons
pay is too low
I enjoyed working there because I sew and knit
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mesquite, TXMarch 20, 2019
It was never going to meet my needs to support myself. No benefits, no advancement. We often worked with a skeleton crew to cover the whole store. Theft was a problem.
Cons
Short breaks, no benefits
Sucks
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLFebruary 6, 2019
I wouldn’t recommend this job even if it was the last job available ever. Management sucks & so does HR they won’t help you either . The pay sucks . Just don’t work there.
Cons
Stressful and fast paced.
Sales Floor Associate (Former Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLJanuary 9, 2019
The hardest part about working at Joann's was dealing with customers that didn't know how much fabric they needed for their projects.

In addition, the workforce of Joann's is predominately female and the work hours would have the employees working until late with no security available inside or outside the store.
Pros
Got to work with yarn and arts and crafts products.
Cons
The rude customers
Relaxed work envirment
Retail Associate | September (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CAJanuary 5, 2019
Woking at Joanns was a relaxing job. Most of the time I had to clean and stay on the cash register. There are some times when it was a bit busy wish really long lines but it was an easy job. I would recommend working here, especially as a first job.
Pros
20% discount
Very flexible with schdules
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Stockton, CADecember 28, 2018
I have a child so I’m always wanting to be involved in his schooling as much as I can so then she’d was always great with scheduling me with whatever I wanted so I can be with my child. The only thing I dislike is not having enough hours when I’m available to work.
Pros
Very flexible with schedules
Cons
Not enough hours
Relaxed yet quick-paced
RETAIL ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIDecember 18, 2018
In general management is very nice as they have all worked up from the bottom so they know how you are feeling in your job. Can be very slow or very quick based on area and time of year. very nice culture of being friendly with customers and coworkers alike.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores.

Powered by Comparably