Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores Employee Reviews for Sales Associate

Found 312 reviews matching the search See all 2,788 reviews
Maybe it’s just this store
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kalispell, MTJuly 16, 2019
My experience wasn’t pleasant but maybe it was just this store. There was NO balance on hours, one week I’d have too many, the next almost none. Also days off were never consecutive or the same week to week. Plus the compensation was truly terrible.
My biggest issue with working here though was the workplace itself which was not enjoyable. The structure around training was okay at best which made the actual day to day work difficult at times. It also seemed to be perfectly okay for some coworkers to neglect their duties for their position based solely on the fact that they’d been there so long, and to be honest a lot of the people that work there aren’t very kind and there’s no attempt to make that better.
Again, maybe this store is just a fluke compared to the rest but all I can say is I wouldn’t do it again, nor would I recommend it to anyone I like.
fun place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Fremont, OHJuly 11, 2019
Interview was super easy and short. Good place to work if you're looking for low hours. Pay could be better. not a hard job, just gets to be a lot when on two person shift.
Stepping Stone Only
Sales Associate/ Stocker (Current Employee) –  Douglasville, GAJuly 10, 2019
Jo Ann is not a place that you want to go to and think you can make it a career. They are unorganized a lot of the times, and some childish ways. People have put in their 2 weeks notice and been retaliated against by being taken off the schedule because "She did not tell the manager before she put her 2 weeks in". They have been cutting hours for the last 3-4 months, so do not expect more that 12 hours a week! Use this company as a stepping stone, something on the side to get the bills paid and keep moving!
Fast paced work, but not difficult
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Round Rock, TXJuly 9, 2019
The work itself was easy and not extraordinarily challenging, but the culture in the workspace was particularly vile. I enjoyed being able to put my personal knowledge to the test, however it was actually very seldom I was able to even do that. It boosted my ability to work accurately at a quick pace, but other than that I didn't receive many skills after the job. Overall, the work was fine, but I believe you need to find the right people to work amongst to enhance your experience.
.Review
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bemidji, MNJuly 1, 2019
Working at Joann's was a really fun experience. I learned a lot about different crafting techniques and met a lot of good people. The management at Joann's in Bemidji, MN had the best management and they supported all of their employees.
Poor management
Part Time Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Topsham, MEJune 28, 2019
I only worked here for a month for good reason. 1: They basically don't train you at all. They sent me on a "scavenger hunt" to find items in the store and then threw me onto the cutting counter without explaining anything at all. They also expected me to backup the registers when I hadn't been shown what to do on those yet either! You're expected to be an expert on everything right off the bat. Don't get me wrong, a few of the people I worked with were extremely helpful. But most of them couldn't care less. 2: I applied for the "part time casual" job. During the interview, I specifically told them I couldn't work long shifts because I was taking care of an elderly unwell family member. Every single schedule they put me down for 9 hour shifts and no matter what I said, they continued doing it! Poor management, awful pretty much non existent training, would not recommend to anyone!
It was interesting but stressful.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sherman Oaks, CAJune 27, 2019
I learned about fabric a bit. Sewing needles and scissors, so things like that. Some of the customers were really mean there. It got really busy to and there were very few of us working.
Creative Fun Enviroment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hollywood, FLJune 24, 2019
I met people of different backgrounds looking to find different things to create different unique projects. I was able to give and receive advice from people of all ages and it was a learning experience.
Pros
new craft ideas
Cons
short staff
Great customer service but bad employee service
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Schererville, INJune 19, 2019
The Joanns I work at had great customer service and treats them amazing. Does everything they can for them but not great with employees and how they treat them. I=
Not bad if you want something casual.
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Mooresville, NCJune 16, 2019
It can actually be a pretty boring job. Fairly slow paced, and usually you only work with one or maybe two other people. Management was generally good. Some drama but that is to be expected almost anywhere you work. Pretty low salary, and low hours. I only work one day a week, and they generally won't give you more than 25 hours unless you are upper management.
Decent place to work, if you want very part time
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  McMinnville, ORJune 3, 2019
This is a great place to work, if you are not looking for much when it comes to hours. I ended up leaving Jo-Anns because I had gotten 8 hours in a single week. With the low pay, the low hours just werent cutting it.
Pros
Fun place to work, you can be crafty.
Cons
Very little hours
horrible pay
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAMay 19, 2019
I worked for the company for over a year and was coming up on my LITTLE raise. Only to find out I wouldn't be getting it because they were raising minimum wage! Still not enough to pay rent
Pros
relaxed envirment
Cons
horrible pay
Poorly Managed
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INMay 13, 2019
It was nearly impossible to get consistent hours. Additionally, management did little to work with me when I relocated. Working there itself was fairly okay. It was a calm and cool environment, however, management was very poor and often unhelpful.
At least there's a back room
Part-Time Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKMay 11, 2019
As a woman worker and having only female coworkers, you get a lot of unwanted harassment that isn't worth $10/hr. My store hires a bunch of part-time workers instead of giving full time to the workers they have. Everyone but my store manager was very nice and understanding. You get a lot of angry old people when coupons don't work or when the math of fabric lengths don't add up. If you want a job to make a living, keep looking. This is a place for college students and teenagers getting first time jobs. Not only can you not live off minimum wage, but it's impossible to live off of PART-TIME minimum wage.
I enjoyed working here Part-Time for several months.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Rancho Mirage, CAMay 5, 2019
I enjoyed working here Part-Time for several months. A few Co-Workers had attitudes of "not my job" which could be very frustrating, but really enjoyed most of the customers and the merchandise is fun.
Pros
Most of the customers and the merchandise is fun. Had lots of hours.
Cons
A few Co-Workers had attitudes of "not my job" which was frustrating
Productive and fun
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Comstock Park, MIApril 23, 2019
I learned quite a bit about certain fabrics along with things and techniques that are used for sewing. I always like to hear about what the customers are going to make in the future.
Pros
Work environment
Cons
Hours
Very few hours and low pay
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAApril 1, 2019
My hours were never consistent. Some weeks I would work 5 days and the next I would only work 1 day. The pay was so low that I practically spent my paycheck in gas money driving to work.
Friendly workplace.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Clovis, CA 93611March 18, 2019
Joann fabrics was a fun place to work, I restocked shelves and learned the locations of products so I could better assist the customers. I also ran the cash register and cut fabrics to customers specifics.
Pros
Fun environment, art lovers dream job.
Thought it would be a fun place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNMarch 14, 2019
Management was just a terror to work with. I worked at a daycare before this so I was pretty prepped for the worst attitudes. But this place just blew me away. Management was made up of just really bitter and rude staff. The real manager of the whole place was very kind and great but since I worked weekends she was never there. The management I dealt with constantly yelled at us and belittled all the staff. Just plain rude and petty. Not worth it for the low salary. They seemed surprised at the high turnover but who would want to work there? Found a higher paying job not soon after.
Pros
Staff would bring in food on holidays
Cons
terrible management
Ok
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Pharr, TXMarch 13, 2019
Horrible pay and hours. Poor management at times. Too much work for little pay. Expect to start at minimum wage. Good for a first job or temporary other than that not worth it.
Cons
poor pay and hours, favoritism

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

2.3Fairygodboss Score

67%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

33%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss