Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores Employee Reviews for Sales Representative

Found 18 reviews matching the search See all 2,939 reviews
Ok place to work.Just Ok
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Schererville, INMay 12, 2019
If you are desperate for a job, apply here. Co-workers are mean and dramatic, supervisors demanding, and store is junky and unkept.Chaotic work environment and often understaffed durinv shift times.However, when the chips are really down,supervisors do roll up their sleeves and assist .
Pros
20% employee discount
Cons
Short breaks, understaffed shifts, lack of adequate training
Stress free part time job.
Sales/Task Team (Current Employee) –  Anderson, SCJuly 21, 2018
A wonderful place to work if you don't need money. The people are friendly, hours are flexible and working with the public is great. The hourly wage, however, is the lowest you'll find anywhere and they don't give you enough hours to survive on.
Pros
Interaction with the community
Cons
Working hours and hourly wage are below poverty level
fun fun fun
sales, daily tasks etc (Former Employee) –  Owosso, MIFebruary 20, 2018
It was always a fun place to work at considering that I am a crafty person. Certain employees got intolerable. at the specific location I was just becoming unhappy, i was working two jobs and had to choose.
Pros
breaks and lunches if you work a certain amount of hours per shift.
Cons
corporate?
Nice Seasonal Job
Seasonal holiday sales representative (Former Employee) –  Novi, MINovember 15, 2017
I worked for a holiday season and it was a good seasonal job. The position I had is not something that I would want to do for years, but there definitely is an opportunity for those who are there full-time to move up to a higher position. The managers were nice and very well organized.
fun products to see hard to work and help customers
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  coloradoAugust 8, 2017
poor management practices led to skimpy scheduling shortchanging the customer experience . I learned to get my job done I had to shortchange the customer and rating showed such. Stressed environment due to por organizational practices. No room for advance, work can be mundane at times. Management should advance the use of technology to do things more efficiently
Pros
fun products to see when they hit the floor
Cons
skimpy scheduling, overwork, stressed environment, cannot help customer
High turnover, lack of adequate training
Sales (Current Employee) –  moDecember 28, 2016
Learn on your own because of minimal training. Have to try and stay one step ahead of management to avoid being yelled at for doing something wrong because of poor training. Absolutely NO acknowledgement for doing something right. Manager has favorites that suck up and "smooze" but are the picture of poor work ethics (chronically late, not in uniform, call out repeatedly) which leads to low or no moral or teamwork.
Pros
You have to like working around the products they sell
Cons
poor training, low moral, no teamwork
Fun place to work as a artsy person
Sales (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILNovember 23, 2016
The staff are all very welcoming and really know how to make work fun, the costumers have been great so far.
As a creator of costumes it is a lot of fun to get the chance to let the creativity flow while working.
store closed
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLJuly 18, 2016
store went out of business. manager was moody everyday. its ok just not my type of work. no money. no hours. stupid hours.
Pros
lunch break
Cons
fabric
Friendly and forward managmenet, creative and friendly coworkers, great environment
Sales Floor Representative (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, NEMay 5, 2016
Joann's Fabrics has been one of the most pleasant working environments I have ever had the joy of being a part of. The management greets you by name each day you clock in back at the office, promptly following this up with the latest corporate news and sales trends taking place. Once geared up for the job and heading out to your designated duties for the day all of your coworkers nod a greeting to you, even if they don't know you, and are always ready to jump up and help if you ask, regardless of their own experience on the issue.
The customers are mostly pleasant, but when they aren't, the staff around you always steps in to help, be it the manager stepping in or a coworker stopping their tasks to help keep the other customers satisfied.
The hardest parts of the jobs are things that are hard to spin in a good light to the customers. Example; There is no way to tell what we will be getting in any given delivery, nor is there any way to track inventory on certain items such as sewing patterns. Customers almost always become very difficult after receiving this news.
The biggest flaw with this story is sadly a common one I have found, and that is the disjointed relationship between the store front and corporate. An example of what I mean is this; Items of the month are general small items that corporate wants us to focus really selling to customers, and corporate chooses what items we sell. Many of these items either have a very limited and specific intended use, or a local store in the area might be having a bigger sale on that exact same item. Corporate still punishes the
  more... store regardless of the reason for low sales on said item, and the sales floor suffers by getting fewer hours, which turns not enough help on the sales floor, which means unhelped and unhappy customers, which leads to bad store reviews, etc...
However, despite these draw backs, I still absolutely adored the people I have worked with here on every level.
Pros
the management, staff, and most of the customers
Cons
not enough staff working at once to help customers/meet deadlines, disjointed communication between store and corporate
fun place to work
Chat Sales representative (Former Employee) –  Paradise Valley, AZMarch 10, 2016
management was fair with hours and scheduling- though some employees took advantage of that. pay was okay at the time. i enjoyed working in an environment where i felt my knowledge of crafts and such was benefited for the customers. my skills were appreciated from the management as well.
Pros
great environment to work in
Amazing place to work
Sales Asociate (Current Employee) –  Middletown, NYJanuary 8, 2015
Greatest people you could every work for. Of all the places I have ever worked they had to be the best.
never again this place a joke!
sales (Former Employee) –  battle creek, MINovember 25, 2014
This place is a joke along with the worthless poc managers....first of all they promise u one thing and tell u another, 2nd they lie straight to your face & on top of all that they throw you out with 1 day of training not even 4 hr! All I have to say about this place is its a joke....then let me tell ya a family member (mom) has a major stroke and is in hospital about to die and they tell you oh my great grandmother died and I still had to report to work, my family comes 1st & I'll be darned if I take my butt to work for someone who could care less about me or my family!!!
Cons
management, pay, hrs
Do not work at the simi valley location
Sales Asssociate (Current Employee) –  Simi Valley, CAJuly 17, 2014
The store manager does not know anything about fabrics and crafts let alone management. The only time he does any kind of work is when people from other stores or the district manager is either there or he knows they are going to be there. He also schedules people against their availability and cuts peoples hours for no reason.
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYApril 4, 2014
Dealing with customers is sometimes difficult in retail jobs, but Jo-anns provides you with the right tools and also the customers are very understanding with new workers. The hardest part of my job is probably the clean-up that we have to do every time we close. The management is amazing and always understanding.
Pros
flexibility
Wonderful employees, great employee discounts.
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLFebruary 28, 2014
It's a great place to work with customers of all ages and seeing what ideas they come up with when they purchase the fabric or craft items they do. Management is very good about training on new policies, and all are great to work with.
Pros
Great creative customers, great employee discounts.
Cons
Learn all kinds of arts & crafts
Sales Team (Current Employee) –  Shelby Township, MIAugust 27, 2012
Helping people find items for their projects. I've learned about different art projects that are fun to do. Co-workers are friendly and great to work with as we help each other. Hardest part of the job is getting your break in as we can be so busy! Getting to meet people!
Pros
20% discount on all items in the store.
Cons
not getting your break on times
To Sales (Former Employee) –  Flint, MIApril 19, 2012
Great management team, friendly and hard-working.

My favorite part of the job was working with the customers. The hardest part was standing on my feet all day. I had to leave because of the allergens in the air, I developed asthma.
Pros
great people worked there, friendly
Cons
strong fragragances, much dust in air