Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores Employee Reviews for Store Manager

Found 112 reviews matching the search See all 2,929 reviews
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Norman, OKAugust 23, 2019
Good place to work, culture is changing to a more positive vibe focusing more on the customer. Some processes can be more than challenging. Update in systems is necessary for ease of doing business.
senior management always changing
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Waterford, CTAugust 5, 2019
every year senior management would change and so would company expectations, my store was in a low income area so payroll was kept to a minimum, that was not accommodating to the customers
Love it!
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Danville, ILAugust 4, 2019
Like all retail. Must get the work done within the labor budget. Some weeks this is easier than others. Great collaboration with others in the company.
Fun place to work
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXJuly 30, 2019
Helping customers find what they need for their project, stocking, running a register when need, and over all running of the store. Training new and exciting employees.
Pros
Discount, team work
Cons
Need more full time employees
Atl District Manager is belittling
Store Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 29, 2019
The DM in the ATL area does not care about her people. She is extremely vindictive and does not train or back her people. She will not help you just belittle you. Avoid working for her.
Poor managment.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Sheboygan, WIJuly 17, 2019
I was a store manager. Very stressful position. Lots of paperwork and audits to due. I was also expected to cashier and work on the floor as well. It was difficult to balance everything.
Good work place
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Campbellsville, KYJuly 13, 2019
I had good pay for what was expected of me. Upper management was very helpful and I was acknowledged for a job well done. Long hours and lots of resets of merchandise.
Inspiring
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Racine, WIJuly 9, 2019
Fun, inspiring, creative place to work. No day is the same, making customers have a positive shopping experience. Giving feedback to the team to help them with their own advancement in the company.
Low pay
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, NEJune 19, 2019
Expect to work 60 to 80 hours a week. There is no payroll so the store manager has to fill in the gap. Poor training and lack.of support from leaders.
Sucks
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCMay 15, 2019
Too many stuck up drama queens. Team members stuck in there ways and upper management stuck in there ways and would not address issues . Just bad upper management and no respect for employees. Too much talking about people and a lot of back stabbing
Pros
Cons
Too many drama queens
JoAnn Fabrics
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLMay 10, 2019
I worked for JoAnn's for 10 years. I was planning to retire by 2017, but that did not work out. I took a store in Tallahassee starting at $1 million to 3.1 million in 3 years. Low % in inventory audits. I usually worked 6 days a week, more than 50 hours a week. Met sales goals, won contests for sales. Planograms in stores for new products and redesigning store.
Pros
Always busy
Cons
New district supervisor
Too many management moves
Store Team Leader (Former Employee) –  TXApril 16, 2019
When you get used to a new manager whop creates a new culture, they move that leader and bring in another. they like to shift leaders from building to building without realizing the negative impact of constant culture changes.
I really don't know some days
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  New York StateMarch 29, 2019
So let me start by saying the job is not horrid. I've worked at horrid and this is an improvement.

It seems the company keeps losing focus on a topic and moves to another one every few months. Sad part is they forget about the field teams along the way. Say we're going to get decent amounts of hours. That lasted a month. Constant conversations about labor and Service. Service keeps getting complaints about staff available on the floor yet the same response as always. Cut labor hours, Store Manager work more hours, Team isn't trained, team isn't productive, team isn't this, team isn't that. I mean seriously, I understand we cannot have personal shopper assistants and I definitely don't want to be one but kick some extra coverage our way.

Senior management thinks we want to know everything going on but I personally get upset reading all the information about money were spending at the top level. Then they congratulate the higher managers and don't even mention ONE lower level member about how they were pivotal for the success. Just goes back to the culture that field people aren't important I guess.

The hardest part of the job is looking my staff in the face and saying great job but next time do it in less time. Telling them the hours will get better. Telling customers were just waiting on another TM to come in(when there isn't one till the next shift change).Ect. Personally the hardest part is knowing I probably won't reach my goal of a higher level position in this company yet keep pouring my heart into the work.

The most enjoyable time is being with the team
  more... we created. I get sad when I know they are getting ready to move on. I enjoy talking to my direct supervisor not because I would call him a friend(He is definitely my boss); but because he shares knowledge and truly does want us all to grow and be stronger.  less
Pros
Staff, Employee Discount, Development
Cons
Lack of Growth, Hours, Double Standards, Management(Senior)
A Create and fun place to work
Store Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Hooksett, NHMarch 21, 2019
I was very fortunate to have the support of an amazing District Manager and other Store Team Leads. As in other retail positions customer service was the focus. We had a great team at our location.
Pros
camaraderie of the sales team, small store format, great product to sell
Cons
Having to work weekends and nights as in other retail businesses
Horrible Upper Management
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 17, 2019
Terminated without any paperwork horrible unprofessional district manager and regional manager human resource does not care not heat no breaks disrespect full dm
Pros
Coworkers
Overworked
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, COMarch 14, 2019
I loved my job when I started, but they have cut hours and expect the same or more work to be done. They start most part time people at minimum wage and raises are very small.
Pros
Discount, benifits
Cons
Workload
Good place to work.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Slidell, LAMarch 14, 2019
Great place for a crafter to work with like-minded associates and customers. The work is steady, and it can be stressful with mandated limited labor hours.
Pros
decent working conditions
Cons
constant change in upper management
Learned a lot about crafting.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAMarch 8, 2019
The store was consistently short staffed. This meant that everyone was responsible to multitask. We offered minimum wage making it easy for many associates to find less demanding work elsewhere which contributed to our high turnover. Also being the only male in the building made it challenging at times to interpret non verbal gender related concerns.
Pros
Learning and sharing tips from customers
Cons
Being the only male in the building.
Typical Day
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLFebruary 11, 2019
My job as a Store Manager was to ensure the store was Maintained to company standards Inventory of the store was in good order. I trained and held team accountable. I made sure all company tasks were done weekly and on time and that customers were given excellent customer service by observing team and leading by example.
Pros
Great benefits and Great store team
Good
A proven results-oriented store manager (Current Employee) –  Hyannis, MAFebruary 9, 2019
Great place to work. Typical retail company. Offers plenty of training and support. Open and close store. Scheduling , inventory and operations goals set daily. Hardest part of job is getting all tasks completed daily to store standards. Enjoyed working with excellent team and fun customers with creative spirit.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.1Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

2.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores Reviews by Location