Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores Culture reviews

Found 600 reviews matching the search See all 2,900 reviews
My favorit place to work
Team Member (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TX 78216September 20, 2019
It was a nice environment, everyone helped each other if they didn't understand or had questions. The employee we're chatty in a good way and the customers were usually nice.
Terrible place to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Greenbelt, MDSeptember 19, 2019
I was working in a Greenbelt branch. The management was rude and cold, the word "culture" had no existence there. The atmosphere among employees was very stiff and filled with stress. The store was constantly understaffed and disorganized.The employees are expected to work very hard for a minimum pay.
Pros
Cons
no benefits for part time workers, poor management
Very Fun
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Quincy, ILSeptember 18, 2019
I started working here as part time during holidays. It was very busy, yet fun. The people, both employees and customers, were very friendly. The pay and benefits aren't the best, but as a second job to have just for fun, it's great
Pros
Friendly and Fun atmosphere
Cons
Few hours and little pay/benefits
Fun people
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Sugar Land, TXSeptember 18, 2019
Flexibility is the most important factor for me.
Hardest part is dealing with some customers
Learned how to use a planogram and stock in a retail setting
Pros
People
Cons
Pay
can get chaotic at times
Cutting counter associate, Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDSeptember 16, 2019
Good team work, It was fun listening to customers talk about their projects they were working on. Could get chaotic at times. Most shifts went by quickly
Pros
great coworkers
Cons
low pay
over worked
General Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Hudson, OHSeptember 12, 2019
a typical day at Joann is having a team meeting to start and to find out what the objectives for the day and i have learned alot from working there the workplace is very rough and demanding working overtime early ion the year and the hardest part about the job is not being able to see my family because i am there so much and management has no respect for there floor workers. i enjoy the people at the company.
Fun place
Sales, freight (Former Employee) –  Bryan, TXSeptember 10, 2019
I didn’t get paid much, and unless you are a manager you won’t. While working there I went through two managers, one was great and the other sucked. As long as you have great work ethic, and do what you’re supposed to be doing everything is fine. The relationships built with regular customers was amazing. I absolutely loved working there.
Pros
Great atmosphere, fun, move up within a year if you’re a great worker
Cons
Low pay if not management
I have little positive to say about this company
Stocking, Register, Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Placentia, CASeptember 8, 2019
The only things that kept my reviews of this company from being lower was that I spent my time there working with some fantastic people. At the end of the day though, it was clear that they were as neglected by the company as I was.

The store I worked at frequently went very minimalist on staffing, evening shifts were typically only three people. This left us little ability to accomplish our stated tasks while keeping up with our customer service requirements.

It's a retail job. Customers are typically an unreasonable lot that demand the ability to use coupons on items that the coupon specifically says they are not allowed to be used on.

Pay is a joke. When I started, there was no option for paid time off at the part time level and even in my later years, the company only offered the state-mandated three days per year.

Corporate culture down at retail level suggests that the parent company cares little for its employees and that they're all disposable assets.
Pros
Some discounts
Cons
Low pay, extremely limited mobility, horrific task to staffing ratio.
Average Workplace
Seasonal Employee (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLSeptember 5, 2019
The management at my store was great and it was a typical retail job. They will teach you everything you need to know on the job. You will definitely learn how to stock.
Friendly People
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Norristown, PASeptember 4, 2019
It was a calm environment with very friendly people who both worked there and shopped there. This made it easy to shop for and stock items since the work culture there is relatively laid back.
Alexandria
INVENTORY COORDINATOR SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Hemet, CASeptember 2, 2019
Joann’s was a really fun experience building a new store just from a store plan was fun and exciting everyday. Working and learning from one another as a group to open a new store for customers was so amazing
It was a great job
Stocker (Former Employee) –  La Mesa, CASeptember 1, 2019
I loved every bit of working there. I quickly trained in all departments and was able to fill any role. I loved the people I worked with most. It was fun to work with crafty people and i loved the discounts for my own crafts.
Pros
Discount
Cons
a lot of physical work, really early morning shifts.
see below
KI,TM (Current Employee) –  Meadville, PAAugust 31, 2019
Learned about products; local management good; workplace culture good; typical day very busy multi-tasking; most enjoyable - everything; least enjoyable- unpleasant, argumentative customers; customers who do drop offs and there's not adequate time to do recovery for their lack of manners; bottom line being profit; too few TM's; worn out, non-working equipment; those employed at corporate to program cash registers not putting in correct information - wastes time when over rides have to be performed because someone being paid to do a job isn't doing it thoroughly. Can't turn more profit when customers can't be served quickly! Not enough space to place product and warehouse continues to send to deplete their stock. This is corporate America any where
Fun place to work if you like to do crafts.
Education Specialist (Former Employee) –  Centerville, UTAugust 27, 2019
I learned about different kinds of fabrics.
Learned more about knitting.
I liked working education best when I was teaching knit and crochet classes.
The hardest part of the job are learning all the different fabrics.
Great place to share my sedwing and crafting knowledge
Part Time Keyholder (Current Employee) –  Sherman, TXAugust 26, 2019
I enjoyed the interaction with the customers, sharing my knowledge of different crafting and sewing skills. Helping others to accomplish their goal is a pleasure.
Pros
The enviroment of crafting
Cons
being pressured or guilted into pushing myself beyond my physical limitations.
SO MUCH FUN not the right pay for me
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Oceanside, CAAugust 24, 2019
Overall my favorite job. If the pay were better I would still be working there! The coworkers were all lovely and fun. The communication is almost instant with the in-ear walkies, and the discounts were lovely. I just couldn't afford to work there but if you're not too in need but would love a job to pad your wallet I HIGHLY suggest it.
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Norman, OKAugust 23, 2019
Good place to work, culture is changing to a more positive vibe focusing more on the customer. Some processes can be more than challenging. Update in systems is necessary for ease of doing business.
Great
General Labor (Former Employee) –  Opelika, ALAugust 9, 2019
Great place to work, very friendly environment, easy to advance in positions if you like, workers are willing to help each other get the job done and willing to work the employees
Great Job for Students
Stocker (Current Employee) –  TexasAugust 4, 2019
Hours and pay aren't exactly anything to brag about. If you are a student or just need something on the side for play money, then it could definitely be something you might wanna look into!
The culture is great and I love my coworkers. The management at my store is a bit poor but that could likely just be where I work.
N/a
Inventory Coordinator / Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Kingston, NY, USAugust 2, 2019
I had to wake up 4:00 to 6:00 am in morning to work and wait outside until someone let me come in every time; I only worked 4 hours a week due to deceasing sales. Good when I first started working there but now it's not a fun place to work at anymore. Amazing sweet customers to work with and all of coworkers were wonderful.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores.

Powered by Comparably