Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores Culture reviews

Found 604 reviews matching the search See all 2,929 reviews
Great place to share my sedwing and crafting knowledge
Part Time Keyholder (Current Employee) –  Sherman, TXAugust 26, 2019
I enjoyed the interaction with the customers, sharing my knowledge of different crafting and sewing skills. Helping others to accomplish their goal is a pleasure.
Pros
The enviroment of crafting
Cons
being pressured or guilted into pushing myself beyond my physical limitations.
SO MUCH FUN not the right pay for me
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Oceanside, CAAugust 24, 2019
Overall my favorite job. If the pay were better I would still be working there! The coworkers were all lovely and fun. The communication is almost instant with the in-ear walkies, and the discounts were lovely. I just couldn't afford to work there but if you're not too in need but would love a job to pad your wallet I HIGHLY suggest it.
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Norman, OKAugust 23, 2019
Good place to work, culture is changing to a more positive vibe focusing more on the customer. Some processes can be more than challenging. Update in systems is necessary for ease of doing business.
Great
General Labor (Former Employee) –  Opelika, ALAugust 9, 2019
Great place to work, very friendly environment, easy to advance in positions if you like, workers are willing to help each other get the job done and willing to work the employees
Great Job for Students
Stocker (Current Employee) –  TexasAugust 4, 2019
Hours and pay aren't exactly anything to brag about. If you are a student or just need something on the side for play money, then it could definitely be something you might wanna look into!
The culture is great and I love my coworkers. The management at my store is a bit poor but that could likely just be where I work.
N/a
Inventory Coordinator / Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Kingston, NY, USAugust 2, 2019
I had to wake up 4:00 to 6:00 am in morning to work and wait outside until someone let me come in every time; I only worked 4 hours a week due to deceasing sales. Good when I first started working there but now it's not a fun place to work at anymore. Amazing sweet customers to work with and all of coworkers were wonderful.
Great
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLAugust 1, 2019
I loved working at Joann’s the customers are very friendly and the staff are so knowledgeable and helpful it is just a great company to work for overall
Enjoyable.
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Olean, NYAugust 1, 2019
For me, keeping busy is key. And that's what you get at Joanns. There is always something to do. I enjoy the interaction with customers and fellow employees. Also, enjoyed sharing craft and sewing tips with them as well.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Distance to work
Casual and Great People but Abusive Clientele
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Janesville, WIJuly 31, 2019
Yes, great people and we always have a mix of newbies and veterans but the culture could use some work too. At first, I was bullied and gossiped about because I wasn't familiar with retail. That was a long time ago and since then, we have undergone some new management and great restructuring. Most of the customers and co-workers too are super friendly but the atmosphere is too personal and you see regulars so they may get too personal over the phone if something didn't go their way or call you out by name and that's not good if you have social anxiety or anxiety. The hours are great for part-time cashiers, but the pay and benefits do not compensate for the overly personal vibe where if you mess up once everyone knows it. Even if you prove yourself and have been there a while, you are not given much extra responsibility or possibility for advancement.
Depends on your team
Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 28, 2019
JoAnn's has the potential to be a fun and exciting work environment, but a lot of that comes down to management and your work team. If everyone is upbeat and willing to learn and to help others, it is a genuinely good place to work. I've had good bosses while working there and terrible ones, and it all depends on the people.
Fast paced work, but not difficult
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Round Rock, TXJuly 9, 2019
The work itself was easy and not extraordinarily challenging, but the culture in the workspace was particularly vile. I enjoyed being able to put my personal knowledge to the test, however it was actually very seldom I was able to even do that. It boosted my ability to work accurately at a quick pace, but other than that I didn't receive many skills after the job. Overall, the work was fine, but I believe you need to find the right people to work amongst to enhance your experience.
Inspiring
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Racine, WIJuly 9, 2019
Fun, inspiring, creative place to work. No day is the same, making customers have a positive shopping experience. Giving feedback to the team to help them with their own advancement in the company.
Terrible management, terrible hours
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Gilbert, AZJuly 8, 2019
I was offered a position on the spot at my interview, as I fit in well with the culture and had open availability. Day one of training I knew I wasn't gonna like the job. Management doesn't have a good training program in place; they basically had me do a scavenger hunt, gave me pamphlets, and threw me on the floor. Not to mention every time I asked a question, they seemed irritated with me. I did enjoy the job; the little interactions with customers, the small talk about projects while I scanned their items. It just sucked that I had to learn how to do the entire job by myself because my higher-ups were extremely unhelpful. I learned something new every day from co-workers because nobody told me how to do ANYTHING. It may just be the location I worked at, but I'd be wary applying if it's your first retail job.
Joann’s is the best job
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 8, 2019
I love the job and everybody was so nice and made you feel like family and the customers are so loving and respecting. The tasks are really easy and fun.
Calm
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Woodbury, MNJuly 4, 2019
Managers were actually helpful and did their jobs correctly. I was a temporary cashier for the holiday season and the team was very nice. Very calm and great place to start for a first job.
Love crafts
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJune 30, 2019
Fun place to work, needs to have better pay. Get to meet a lot of people. Work as cashier and put up stock.Hours are great. Friendly staff and great to work with
It was interesting but stressful.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sherman Oaks, CAJune 27, 2019
I learned about fabric a bit. Sewing needles and scissors, so things like that. Some of the customers were really mean there. It got really busy to and there were very few of us working.
Great!
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Dyersburg, TNJune 24, 2019
I loved it! Great experience, great people. You do have to stay on your feet all day though. This is the hardest part. The work is easy and management is understanding.
Was a good first/part time job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 23, 2019
Always stressful around holidays, never enough people working to cover all departments, management was wish-washy. Co-workers are awesome. Most of the customers were fun to engage with, lots of talented people and cool projects. Great learning experience.
Pros
Flexible hours, 3 breaks, coworkers
Cons
Management, scheduling, zero benefits
Low quality retail job
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAJune 14, 2019
Jo-Ann’s has everything people hate most about working retail. Minimum wage for associates and not much more for the team leads, Laughable raises (20 cents once a year, for all associates, not performance based), Having to work all the positions, Working every weekend, NO benefits as everyone below team lead is part-time only, no exceptions. Understaffed at closing particularly so many customers complained that no one is ever available to help them on the actual sales floor. Very corporate culture. Everything you do at the end of the day in their store supports corporate more than anyone else, especially yourself. You wont make a living on Jo-Ann wages no matter how long you stay. You will be scraping by. It is a low quality retail job. Coworkers and management were good.
Pros
some schedule flexibility, store management, co-workers
Cons
Bad pay, no benefits, everything else

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.1Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

2.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight