Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores Culture reviews

Found 611 reviews matching the search See all 2,934 reviews
A Create and fun place to work
Store Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Hooksett, NHMarch 21, 2019
I was very fortunate to have the support of an amazing District Manager and other Store Team Leads. As in other retail positions customer service was the focus. We had a great team at our location.
Pros
camaraderie of the sales team, small store format, great product to sell
Cons
Having to work weekends and nights as in other retail businesses
positive and creative learning environment
Stock Associate (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAMarch 19, 2019
I love working at Joanns. It is a creative environment. the discounts are helpful if you are a crafter! The management is good and cares for all the employees!
Okay place to work if you DON'T need money
Full Time Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Idaho Falls, IDMarch 15, 2019
Wages are pretty low and not competitive at all. The employee discount is a joke, you get the same discount as a customer if you use coupons which there are tons of.
Corporate doesn't seem to know what they are doing/ bleeding the company for all its worth before they sell it off.
Pros
Helping people
Cons
customers get the same discount as employees on most things, corporate doesn't seem to know what they are doing, or care how their decisions affect employees or customers shopping experince
Easy going but terrible pay
Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Odessa, TXFebruary 26, 2019
Its an easy company to work for but don't expect competitive wages or to be compensated in any way, shape or form for the amount of knowledge the customers desire.

The stores allotted hours to split between all employees are so tight that there's often only a couple of people (2-3) working at a time. This makes it very difficult to accomplish required tasks aside from customer support.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
Low pay
Good
A proven results-oriented store manager (Current Employee) –  Hyannis, MAFebruary 9, 2019
Great place to work. Typical retail company. Offers plenty of training and support. Open and close store. Scheduling , inventory and operations goals set daily. Hardest part of job is getting all tasks completed daily to store standards. Enjoyed working with excellent team and fun customers with creative spirit.
Review
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Enfield, CTJanuary 24, 2019
A typical day at work would consist of ringing customers out, cutting fabric, stocking shelves, and recovery.

The hardest part of the job is when you are alone up front during a rush and there is not available people to help.

The most enjoyable part of the job would be working with all the different people who come in with creative minds.
Good place to work, but has the same downfalls as most retailers
Full-Time Team Member (Current Employee) –  PennsylvaniaJanuary 17, 2019
Joann is a good place to work for the most part, however the compensation for the work that is expected is hard to justify. Each day is something new, which is great, but can be overwhelming at times. The immediate managers I have had the opportunity to work with have been great and have always been willing to work with my schedule, higher level management however is hit or miss. District and regional managers often demand ridiculous payroll cuts so that the stores are unable to meet customer expectations, even when a store exceeds the planned sales by thousands of dollars. The culture in the stores is great from what I have experienced; all co-workers are willing to help each other out and are kind and care about each other. General company culture is somewhat disjointed though. Overall I feel that it is a good place to work even though it can be taxing simply due to the corporate vs. store level issues.
Pros
Decent benefits, good managers, friendly co-workers.
Cons
Corporate doesn't seem to understand what goes on at a store level, low pay, unrealistic expectations
a creative environment
Inventory Specialist (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHJanuary 16, 2019
it is so nice to be surrounded by so many creative people. Other employees and even the custumers are very helpful and always share their ideas and help out in any way they can.
Enjoyed working
Team member (Current Employee) –  Reynoldsburg, OH 43068January 15, 2019
Enjoyed working it was fast paced, I learned how to be a cashier, management was always helpful and flexible. The hardest part was learning new things and working different hours. Most enjoyable parts was helping customers.
great place to work for students
Cashier/Customer Service Representative/Teacher (Former Employee) –  Citrus Heights, CAJanuary 15, 2019
easy job. able to learn a lot because of the demos and offering of classes to employees.l For the most part the people i worked with were great. Management is okay but it can get hectic. great place to work if you need flexible hours.
Fun place to work
Seasonal worker, Stalking (Former Employee) –  St. Albans, VTJanuary 14, 2019
I liked it there but it was only seasonal.The job itself was very easy and my coworkers were very nice and welcoming and always made sure I knew what i was doing.
Only good thing was the employee discount
TEAM MEMBER (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJanuary 4, 2019
Always understaffed, overworking the few employees they do have. The interpersonal relationships you make with your coworkers are great, but other than friendship and discounts, not a good place to work.
Great place to work for your inner crafter!
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Monroe, NCDecember 26, 2018
I absolutely loved my manager! If you had an idea she would listen to you and usually let you roll with it. She was very helpful when you had questions. I felt like I was part of a team! We were always told thank you and we were acknowledged for our hard work! Fun place to work!
Pros
Appreciated and acknowledged for your work
Cons
Only part time
A nice place to work
Inventory stocker (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIDecember 25, 2018
The people and management were lovely. It was a relaxing and peaceful atmosphere to work in. The place was very well kept by all the employees. Work was nice.
Fun inspiration but high stress
Framer/ task worker (Current Employee) –  Webster, TXDecember 18, 2018
Fun place work at love the people love my co workers. Some guest can be out right nasty to you for no reason. And corporate ok they look out for there workers. Wish training was more available they just through you out there.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
People
Relaxed yet quick-paced
RETAIL ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIDecember 18, 2018
In general management is very nice as they have all worked up from the bottom so they know how you are feeling in your job. Can be very slow or very quick based on area and time of year. very nice culture of being friendly with customers and coworkers alike.
Seasonal Team Member (Former Employee) –  Yuma, AZDecember 8, 2018
- Great staff team to work with
- Staff answers/shows you any questions you have related to a specific task
- Great learning experience (learned a lot)
Unethical
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  VermontNovember 24, 2018
NE United States area

I have worked for a small town JoAnn's for 4 months. In that time, management changed (I was hired by the assistant manager in the summer 2018) and the experience been most disappointing. I do not agree with the company "business politics" and protocols. The area I live and work in has the competition of Hobby Lobby and Michaels. There isn't a local quilt shop nearby.
1) Joann's believe that "good customer service" is by accruing acquisitions of email and apps digitally so they don't have to standard mail coupons. District management will often "pit" the regional stores against each other for impossible goals. Most older customers find this insulting as they don't have access to those methods.
2) The stores DO NOT have adequate systems (registers and hand held equipment) to acknowledge inventory and performance of daily tasks. And, the smaller stores are in need of updates in equipment and renovation.
3) Whomever decides what inventory gets shipped to the stores is over-whelming; the store I currently worked at started receiving Christmas product 3 weeks prior to Halloween. Totally unethical and the back room of the store was crowded beyond realism, not being able to find anything. You wouldn't believe how much product gets tossed and donated that doesn't sell.
4) The labor hours are NOT based on sales, but based on the "size" of the store. That too, is unethical. A lot of times, the labor hours might included two people to run the daily business and God forbid it get busy.
5) While trying to service customers, there is still the
  more... expectation to stock and maintain the store. If the specific facility has not been granted enough labor hours? This is a challenge to give good customer service.
6) It has been my observation in 4 months? JoAnn customers want their questions and needs answered and check out efficiently. Most times, the management that hires the staff, does not hire "qualified people" to do that.

In no way, am I defending the company business ethics; and my time at the local store is coming to an end since I disagree with how they function (working Black Friday was a nightmare). Which should be a loss, since I am one of the few that knows anything about fabric/sewing/quilting and my many years of acquired knowledge will be a lost asset.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Unorganized, too much product at one time, no room to store all the merchandise
Genuine and passionate customers and team members
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Hudson, OHNovember 19, 2018
Great people overall but challenging work environment at store level. Frequently changing priorities and lack of focus creates the need to sometimes choose between customer interaction or task.
Pros
Exceptional customer base and passionate team members
Cons
Work load frequently doesn't match resources given to achieve desired results.
Fun workplace.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  DuBois, PANovember 14, 2018
I love working at JoAnns. I work with an awesome team and my boss is just as amazing. Definitely feels like a family. My boss is great at explaining things if you don't quite understand and she is great at working around schedules. She and the other girls make working there fun.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores.

Powered by Comparably