Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores Employee Review

View all Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores reviews

It was nice
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Midlothian, VAJune 6, 2019
Co-workers were awesome and the environment tried to stay positive. Management was good but too focused on 'the customer is always right' moto. It was fun but too stressful for the pay.

Other Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores Employee Reviews

A lot of customers are extremely rude but most coworkers are awesome
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Douglasville, GAJuly 17, 2019
A lot of the customers are extremely rude and trashy. I've had customers that balled up the receipt and throw it in my face because they were unhappy that their coupon was not applicable to their purchase. Some of the customers are fine and it is these customers that I took pride in helping to save money and making small talk with to make them happy before leaving the store.

Coworkers for the most part are amazing people who are there when you need help. I love all of them and they really make it feel like a family there. I couldn't be more pleased with those people. They would come any time I would call for back up and the current key holders are my absolute favorite.

Management had been a tad askew since I started on last year but it continued on with a new manager this year. We didn't have toilet paper a lot and 9 times out of 10 we didn't have change on Sundays. The current manager also has no respect for people's schedules even if they have another job. So what ends up happening is the schedule gets changed so many times, and then those people get taken off the schedule for the most part. Nobody gets notified of these changes either. If you're late for a new shift you didn't know about, you get a call asking where you are.

The hardest part of the job was always hot days and the weekends. The weekends are the busiest days due to the "door-buster" sales. People sometimes are even waiting outside the door before the store is opened on these days. It's difficult on hot days because there's no ac. It's a retail job that gets into the 90's because the company won't
  more... turn on the ac. I have asthma so that's an actual health issue that comes with the heat. Sunday is the worst day to work closing because customers will be in there forever and rush the cash registers all at 6 like the store hasn't closed at 6 on Sunday for forever.

The company is cheap as all get out. They put crooked people in charge of things such as ordering supplies, which they don't so they can pocket the money they get as a bonus for saving the company money. The first manager I had wouldn't order cleaning supplies. One of the key-holders bought it out of her own pocket. They also recently cut hours by a lot and that means being rushed to get everything done when people don't leave until after the store closes. Some nights there's a half an hour allotment for everyone getting their things done. Even if customers are still in there, it's a half an hour from closing. So 9:30/6:30 you have to be out. Even if you hadn't finished.

The easiest days were during the week where if there was a good coupon, it would be crowded for what day it was but not nearly as bad as the weekends. The weekdays are when you're most likely going to have time on your hands to fill. Cleaning the que, putting out new merchandise, organizing trim, etc. Some of these things are mandatory anyways but they'll have to wait until closing for you to have time to see to them.

Do not sit on this job. Come here, use it to gain confidence in dealing with customers and get out of there. Go to school. Get something better.
Poor managment.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Sheboygan, WIJuly 17, 2019
I was a store manager. Very stressful position. Lots of paperwork and audits to due. I was also expected to cashier and work on the floor as well. It was difficult to balance everything.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

2.3Fairygodboss Score

67%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

33%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss