Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores Employee Reviews

Found 2,727 reviews matching the search See all 2,733 reviews
Low quality retail job
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAJune 14, 2019
Jo-Ann’s has everything people hate most about working retail. Minimum wage for associates and not much more for the team leads, Laughable raises (20 cents once a year, for all associates, not performance based), Having to work all the positions, Working every weekend, NO benefits as everyone below team lead is part-time only, no exceptions. Understaffed at closing particularly so many customers complained that no one is ever available to help them on the actual sales floor. Very corporate culture. Everything you do at the end of the day in their store supports corporate more than anyone else, especially yourself. You wont make a living on Jo-Ann wages no matter how long you stay. You will be scraping by. It is a low quality retail job. Coworkers and management were good.
Pros
some schedule flexibility, store management, co-workers
Cons
Bad pay, no benefits, everything else
Fast paced and unorganized work setting
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIJune 13, 2019
A typical work day was walking in to the back office and finding out what position they wanted you on that day. I was put on stations I wasn't ready to work yet and didn't get proper training. I learned that being open to being taught will lead to your success. The hardest part of the job was overnight stocking. I loved working here because it allowed me to meet a lot of really great creative people!
Horrible place to work. Inexperienced management.
Former employee (Former Employee) –  New JerseyJune 11, 2019
Demoralizing and condescending management. Always belittling employees in front of customers. Worked 50 plus hours a week. No security in the store and only 2 people scheduled to close the store at night. Managers knew nothing about running a store properly. Very unprofessional and very caddy. Loved to team up and gossip about the regular staff. Took sides and created animosity and unacceptable stress among the employees. The employees had to clean the toilet in the public restroom and then cut fabric. So disgusting!
Pros
Nothing. Just a job. No great benefits. Worked like a dog.
Cons
Everything negative that should not be done to staff.
The job became stressful for my health issues in the end. By the time I quit I had many family and personal issues going on around my job
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Helena, MTJune 11, 2019
The job was fun in most cases I only had a problem because I walked 8 miles a day to and from work because I had no other way to get to work. It became hard on my health and personal family problems became a major issue for me.
Pros
Discounts, fun and active coworkers, wonderful costumers
Cons
Stressful, very little staff, and lack of being able to treat my health.
Unpredictable but never boring
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAJune 10, 2019
-No pre-determined tasks; were given instruction upon starting day
-Managers were friendly and understanding
-Always understaffed so we were always busy
-Schedule was printed on paper; were responsible for taking note of the schedule
-Very creative and inspiring environment
An ok part time job if you need one, not worth the stress or time if you want anything else
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Saugus, MAJune 9, 2019
Part time you get maybe 15-25 hours a week if you're lucky at minimum wage, which is not enough to support yourself anywhere in the area. No real benefits for part time other than PTO. All about sales numbers and getting people to sign up for coupons and emails. More often than not you'll be doing the workload of multiple people by yourself. Zero room for advancement and a stressful environment with little reward on top of that. Always short staffed and a revolving door with new employees. Co-workers are generally friendly and very approachable and make dealing with everything else slightly less painful. Constant problem with sales not being displayed and coupons that you can almost never use. It's a good position if you're in school or need extra money but not something you could live off.
Pros
Co-workers are great
Cons
Poor hours, management is hit or miss, no room to advance, short staffed
key holder, shipping receiving team lead
Receiving Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INJune 9, 2019
management only likes to tell you what you do wrong....everyday. corporate basis the amount of hours available based on last years over all profit. so you have people who are sent home half way through the day and then that makes customers stand in line an scream at you not worth the small amount of money they pay.
Positive work place
Cashier and Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Rock Springs, WYJune 8, 2019
Postive work place. Flexible work HRS. Respectful employees. The managers are respectful. The managers are open to talk to. The employees are respectful to customers.
Not much to say
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAJune 7, 2019
Not much to say, They over hire for the holidays, Most of the time don't keep the people who actually do their job, No real structure or planning on how they want things done, as long as you are a body in the building and the shifts are filled they don't care to much what goes on
Fun workplace
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edina, MNJune 7, 2019
Great place to work with great staff. One downside is the pay. They start at minimum wage and takes awhile to get moved up in the company. Other than that, very nice place to work.
Most horrible work environment ever
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Essexville, MIJune 6, 2019
Literally still makes me sick to my stomach to think about working here. Don’t get me wrong, the actual job wasn’t bad except you’re so overworked you step in the door and don’t have time to even use the restroom. Very understaffed even during promotion events and super sales. Very rarely was more than two people to cover the entire store.. meaning usually one person cutting fabric and the other running registers. I would work 5 days a week but only get 20-25 hours meaning they were generally 4-5 hour shifts... a waste of my entire day. I’d have rather worked 3 8-hour shifts and have the rest of my week to enjoy. All of that aside the worst part was upper management and even in store management. Don’t get sick or have a family member die cause they will act like you did something wrong having to call off... I get that there are only so many employees but they have no empathy.
The discount was great and the job wasn’t horrible, would be better with more staff and better management. The company constantly pushed it down employees throats that they were cutting hours due to low sales and that we needed to drive more sales. Constant changes from upper management were very annoying as well.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Management, hours, no advancement, low compensation
Misleading Hours and Haphazard Training
Team Member (Part Time) (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHJune 6, 2019
My biggest problem is that when I first started working there, I had three to four days a week that I was scheduled, which was exactly what I was looking for; but as time went on I went to two to three, then one to two, and now I'm lucky to get more than one day a week that I'm scheduled. This does not cut it for me, and I find it especially vexing because there have been at least two or three other people that have been hired in the past two to three weeks, and there aren't enough hours to go around! Really, this is my only complaint about working at Jo-Ann's; the managers are nice and very willing to work with the fact that I ride the bus to work, all of my coworkers are nice and more than willing to help me or explain something that I'm having trouble with, the store discount for employees is awesome, especially because I do a lot of crafting myself. The only other negative thing that I can think of is that you are not allowed to have a water-bottle or drink with you during your shift without a doctor's note; I asked a coworker about this and she said because they give you a break halfway through a five hour shift that that is enough. I get dehydrated very easily, though it is not a medical issue, and I don't want to have to schedule a doctor's appointment just to be able to have water with me during the day! Also, when I first started, I was given very little training on where things where actually located in the store, and when I was sent to put away returned merchandise they just gave me a scanner and said see what you can do and ask questions if you need help. This would  more... not have been a problem if the locations in the store on the scanner were not abbreviated into four letters. "Bloom Room Floral" became "BRFL" with aisle and position numbers following, which are also not helpful because you have to know where each section starts, because aisle four does not mean aisle four from the front, it means aisle four from the start of the section. I was given no map of the store, and no additional instruction about the various sections. Even most of my coworkers are not completely proficient in the abbreviations; only the managers and those who have worked at Jo-Ann's for years and years know what they all mean.  less
Pros
Very understanding management; Great work environment; Amazing coworkers; Great discount
Cons
Low hours; Minimum pay; No beverage during work; Minimal useful training
It was nice
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Midlothian, VAJune 6, 2019
Co-workers were awesome and the environment tried to stay positive. Management was good but too focused on 'the customer is always right' moto. It was fun but too stressful for the pay.
Always room to move up
Fabric Cutter (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJune 5, 2019
I worked at the one in California and Florida, both were amazing until my departure from the Florida one, the thermostat got stuck on 96 and they said they weren’t getting it fixed and I had heat stroke at work one night and couldn’t return
Pros
Cons
When something in the store breaks, corporate won’t fix it
Not Enough People
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Minnetonka, MN 55305June 4, 2019
I had never worked retail. I was given limited training. When I would have to process a transaction I didn't understand I felt that management was upset that I couldn't figure it out.
Decent place to work, if you want very part time
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  McMinnville, ORJune 3, 2019
This is a great place to work, if you are not looking for much when it comes to hours. I ended up leaving Jo-Anns because I had gotten 8 hours in a single week. With the low pay, the low hours just werent cutting it.
Pros
Fun place to work, you can be crafty.
Cons
Very little hours
fun place to work
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, OHJune 2, 2019
Fun place to work, relaxed environment, and nice management and employees. the service is fast and they truly care about their costumers and their experience.
Pros
lunch breaks, kind work atmosphere
Cons
hours and pay
what I learned
Retail Interior Design (Current Employee) –  Hudson, OHJune 2, 2019
Our department used Google Docs to coord project tasks for the team. The trackers kept us all up to date and on time.

I knew & used the microsoft office programs. It was great to learn the google software and see how the sharing and live aspect of the documents helped facilitate project tasks, schedule and kept communication & visibility of project progress open to all involved on the project.
It was great but pay was low
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Grosse Pointe, MIJune 2, 2019
This is a great job to work At I met so many great people and I learned new and unique crafts along the way, customers were sweet and often regulars felt like family but I started off at 8.25 not sure if it went up
Pros
Discounts, customers
Cons
Low pay
Good
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLJune 1, 2019
The job has been a great first job experience. It is a nice environment and the coworkers are friendly. I've learned all my customer service skills at this store and am constantly learning with the customers.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.1Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

2.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight