Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores Employee Reviews

Found 2,778 reviews matching the search See all 2,784 reviews
Alright
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Geneva, ILJuly 8, 2019
Decent place to work. Management was kind, customers were nice and frequent. CEOs and corporate were terrible. Imposed many rules that the workers and customers did not agree with.
Great place to get experience with many areas of crafts.
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fresno ca at RiverparkJuly 8, 2019
Fast pace, busy, n fun learning. A lot of phone couponing discounting at the register. Time goes by fast. Work with alot of different ages. Variety is the spice of life.
Calm
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Woodbury, MNJuly 4, 2019
Managers were actually helpful and did their jobs correctly. I was a temporary cashier for the holiday season and the team was very nice. Very calm and great place to start for a first job.
Not worth it
Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  New HampshireJuly 4, 2019
If you like standing your entire shift at the register with no breaks while you see others drinking (as you will get thirsty) and getting their breaks/lunch time ,while you are sweating as the A/C is very bad- not allowed to drink on the store floor only in break room. I have been made to stock while running the register which I cannot see through walls so I have no idea anyone needs me at the register until they seek me out!!! I have had it with the job, they ask too much and give so little. Try somewhere else. you will hate it here. and they don't give many hours unless you are management or key holder.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Portland, MEJuly 3, 2019
Joann is sometimes fast-paced but usually fairly relaxed and always enjoyable. The customers and employees are both friendly, and I always like hearing about what people are crafting.
Not worth the stress of toxic managers
Team Member (Part-Time) (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAJuly 1, 2019
The management is stressed always and spreads that toxicity to you on a constant basic. You must always wear a headset in one ear and always have it on, full blast because you can barely hear until someone inevitably screams into the mic. Even when you're talking to customers, you must listen. The music they play is awful, and it is loud. You must wear the headset during breaks and they will ask if you're done several times. This store is almost always slammed with customers. Although many of the customers are kind, there will always be "can i speak to your manager"- ladies whom will nitpick and complain about how straight you cut their fabric. Get ready to get covered head to toe in glitter, lint and yarn every day while handling formaldehyde and lead particulates from the cheaply made Chinese products they sell.
Pros
You get to talk about crafts
Cons
Literally everything else
.Review
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bemidji, MNJuly 1, 2019
Working at Joann's was a really fun experience. I learned a lot about different crafting techniques and met a lot of good people. The management at Joann's in Bemidji, MN had the best management and they supported all of their employees.
High paced customer service
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJuly 1, 2019
I've worked retail before, and working here was not anything I hadn't expected. Days were high paced with many tasks to accomplish. My coworkers were and awesome team to work with on a daily bases to get stuff done in a timely manner and have a enjoyable work day. Management on the other hand was challenging. Unclear instructions were given regularly, and when asked vague answers were given when issues arose.
Bad managers, unrealistic goals & decreasing hours
Inventory Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Littleton, COJune 30, 2019
TMs w 10-12 years in store still make minimum wage. New store manager announced that older & disabled workers will NOT be retained. Ironic bc Jo-Ann’s customers are often older & disabled. Three TMs on floor per shift - 1 cut, 1 register, 1 manager. Increased prices and cuts in staffing due to Chinese tariffs. Full-time jobs cut from 40 hrs/wk to 30 to 25. Emphasis on productivity, but no training. Corporate goals change quarterly. Employees told to go along or go elsewhere.
Pros
Exposure to crafts
Cons
Poorly managed, low pay, unrealistic expectations, few hours, unhappy employees
Love crafts
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJune 30, 2019
Fun place to work, needs to have better pay. Get to meet a lot of people. Work as cashier and put up stock.Hours are great. Friendly staff and great to work with
Great for someone who loves craft and sewing with low pay
ASSISTANT STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Brandywine, MDJune 29, 2019
I loved working here. I started as the operations manager and was them promoted to assistant store manger. Once promoted I was give a $0.23 raise. I myself have been sewing since I was 10 years old and could pretty much tell you exactly what you needed for any sewing project and a lot of different craft projects.When I gave my 2 week notice they then wanted to offer what the new job was paying to make me stay. Honestly if you valued me then i should have received a real increase.
Pros
fun, place to grow you own business, repeat customers
Cons
Low pay, not much home/work balance, accrual rates
Good products but over priced.
Part-time Stocker (Former Employee) –  Mansfield, OHJune 28, 2019
Management was a joke. The asst mgr stood every shift she worked and talked to her parents for 2 hours when they came in. She was a very heavy set woman that had tons of piercings and tattoos everywhere She wore shorts everyday and dressed Goth. Was totally inappropriate for JoAnn Stores. Management was extremely unfriendly to other employees and staff. Was not a good environment.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Nasty management
Poor management
Part Time Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Topsham, MEJune 28, 2019
I only worked here for a month for good reason. 1: They basically don't train you at all. They sent me on a "scavenger hunt" to find items in the store and then threw me onto the cutting counter without explaining anything at all. They also expected me to backup the registers when I hadn't been shown what to do on those yet either! You're expected to be an expert on everything right off the bat. Don't get me wrong, a few of the people I worked with were extremely helpful. But most of them couldn't care less. 2: I applied for the "part time casual" job. During the interview, I specifically told them I couldn't work long shifts because I was taking care of an elderly unwell family member. Every single schedule they put me down for 9 hour shifts and no matter what I said, they continued doing it! Poor management, awful pretty much non existent training, would not recommend to anyone!
It was interesting but stressful.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sherman Oaks, CAJune 27, 2019
I learned about fabric a bit. Sewing needles and scissors, so things like that. Some of the customers were really mean there. It got really busy to and there were very few of us working.
Fun to work
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Colma, CAJune 26, 2019
I enjoyrd working there. One of my hobbies is sewing. So being able to mingle with customers and learn new amd improved methods to sometimes the madness was great.
Standard part-time retail job, but with opportunity to make great friends.
Early Morning Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Maple Grove, MNJune 25, 2019
Standard part-time retail job, but a little more fun to stock shelves with crafting materials than cans or standard boxes. Management was relatively understanding, and the hours were very flexible.
Its a great place to get into the work force as long as you're willing to pull your weight and do your best.
Stock work was fulfilling, but hard work. If you look to work in this department be sure you're up for the labor of unloading the truck!
Pros
Great community, good discount, and fun to view new items.
Cons
Unloading trucks is hard work, part time position.
Need to be flexible if you want hours
Full-time Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Burton, MIJune 25, 2019
If you are not flexible than you will little to no hours. You never get raises unless minimum wage goes up. You can’t move up in the company unless you want to drive to far places to be an assistant manager or manager.
Creative Fun Enviroment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hollywood, FLJune 24, 2019
I met people of different backgrounds looking to find different things to create different unique projects. I was able to give and receive advice from people of all ages and it was a learning experience.
Pros
new craft ideas
Cons
short staff
Sad
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Maplewood, MNJune 24, 2019
I am sad to say that management needs improvement. Hourly wages should be higher. Many employees are not well trained. I believe a receptionist should be hired and not have the front cashiers answering with customers waiting.
Great!
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Dyersburg, TNJune 24, 2019
I loved it! Great experience, great people. You do have to stay on your feet all day though. This is the hardest part. The work is easy and management is understanding.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores.

Powered by Comparably