Job Corps Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
RE: I really don't recommend until they fix
CAREER TRANSISTION MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDJune 19, 2018
Communication is limited. No one is qualified for their positions and this includes management. Culture is far from ideal. Also, the pay scale is very skewed, and when brought to the attention, you are ostracized for noticing. I was paid far under my teammates, and was more qualified and had more responsibilities.
Trade school
Landscaping (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 19, 2018
Learning how to do what learn landscapers do lawn mowing bonsai trees cutting them plant nursing Landscaping using Bobcats walk behind lawn mowers and ride behind lawn mowers
Pros
Na
Cons
Na
Horrible place to be
Aprentice (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 19, 2018
When I first got there, things seemed fine, but as time went on, it started to suck and eventually, it became unbearable. and the people there, including the staff were rude, disrespectful, and honestly didn't care about the kids, only their paycheck
Jobcorp
Food Server (Former Employee) –  KentuckyJune 16, 2018
I learned how to manage my money. And how to work in a professional place. That it will be conflict on the job I learned how to deal with it and handle without reacting.
Overall, it was and okay place for young people looking for a head start.
Job Corps Employee (Former Employee) –  Darby, MTJune 16, 2018
Job Corps wasn't awful but it wasn't great. Friendly staff 24/7 and you get to meet lots of good people, although some can be not as friendly. Cons are having to share an entire dorm with 30+ people and you get paid less than a prisoner.
Productive and fun workplace with a pool table
Culinary Arts Student (Former Employee) –  Cass, ARJune 8, 2018
A typical day shift involved my waking up early to prep breakfast for the next day after putting everything in the oven, setting up the food for lunch.

Typical evening shift is cooking lunch and prepping dinner while making sure that breakfast for the next day has been prepped and doing so if it hasn't been done.

Stockroom is organizing everything in the back and dealing with deliveries.

Most enjoyable? The work and friends made

Hardest part? The people (sometimes), the work (it can be stressful during events)

Management was mostly fair, stuck to the rules.

I learned how to cook and deal with angry 'customers' while there. Helped later in life and when I joined Americorps.
Pros
Good work and good people
Cons
Stress, dealing with rude people
Needs serious improvment
Admission/ Outreach Counselor (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, COJune 6, 2018
Management struggles on knowing the job and how to proceed. They have no backbone and dont hold center partnerships accountable and dont back up their employee. When employees make complaints about administrative staff there appears to be no improvement on the person. There is a administrative assistant that every time you request a task that is their responsibility it is an fight and an argument. There are other staff that continue complain about there workload and just make the culture outfight miserable.

When I first started out with this job I loved it. I was supported by my boss. They held partnerships accountable, they were fair, and firm with all employee expectations and the entire team knew it. Managers knew the job and what was required and didnt blow you off when you made a complaint.
Pros
Work hours
Cons
Hr, adminstrative staff, management, company
unhappy emplyee
Career Transition Specialist (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYJune 4, 2018
bad place to work, manager is a horrible person to work for. I you are a minute late you get written up. I would never recommend working underneath her. She takes credit for anything you suggest.
great learning experience
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Glide, ORJune 3, 2018
I enjoyed working with a team to uphold a productive cafeteria kitchen. washing dishes, cleaning up the floors, tables and food stations, sometimes even helping the cook with preparations.
Student Employee
STUDENT EMPLOYEE (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVJune 1, 2018
I worked as a student employee and gained some good skills. I appreciated the trainings and certificates of achievements. The work was rigorous considering minimal pay. The main problem was poor living conditions.
Pros
work experience
Cons
living conditions and wages
Depressing atmosphere from constant client fights
ADMISSIONS COUNSELOR (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAMay 29, 2018
Dealing with the at risk youth was very time and energy sapping in addition to their regular figts and the drug addiction and the field visits to recruit and conducting background checks
Decent for learning a trade skill
Dorm Leader (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LAMay 29, 2018
Job Corp is a vocational job training program. The program endeavors to provide young adults with the needed skills to succeed in the career world by offering an education in a trade skill.
Pros
job related training, room and board included, meals too.
Cut throat
Supervisor/Administrative (Former Employee) –  McKinney, TXMay 23, 2018
Enjoyed it until new management, will take your ideas as their own, and male mangers will make sexual advances to women. Loved the students, would only return for them.
Pros
Great students
Cons
Hours and greed
Fun place
Residential Advisor (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 22, 2018
I enjoy working with students and helping them better their lives before they go. Teaching them to be more independent and respectful individuals with good morals and integrity.
Easy job but not enough hours
Residential Advisor (Current Employee) –  Shreveport, LAMay 22, 2018
When I first started at Job Corps I was getting a good amount of hours and was expecting to work the hours they hired me for, but it was something TOTALLY different when I started working there.
Pros
Easy job
Cons
Not enough hours
Its like high school but a workplace
Carpenter Assistant (Former Employee) –  Curlew, WAMay 21, 2018
Job Corps is a very beneficial program that can help you achieve great things. The only downfall is that kids will use it as an opt out for an actual trade school and don't take anything seriously dragging the rest of your team down. The living quarters are okay if you don't mind sleeping with 3 other people of the same gender. Some of which who were nasty and refused to shower or brush their teeth. Work days weren't bad, 8 hour days and the trade instructors are really helpful with whatever we were working on. Not a wide variety of constructive projects but we learned what we needed to jump start a career. Overall Job Corps is worth it if you plan on putting everything you have into learning a trade. Just beware of other petty people who want to see you fail.
Pros
Good trades and instructors
Cons
Petty kids and not a lot of activities to indulge in
Fun and productive.
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLMay 21, 2018
I gained a lot of experience working with young adults and had lots of leadership practice it wasn't easy as times but it was worth the time I spent there. It helped me grow as an individual and I met a lot of new and interesting people.
Pros
Free meals, weekend trips.
Cons
Early hours, late nights.
Enjoyed working at Job Corps
Recreation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Gadsden, ALMay 16, 2018
Enjoyed working at the Gadsden Job Corps. I worked in the Recreation Dept. I also coached the Dance Team and Cheer Squad. I learned a lot working at Job Corps.
Pros
Cons
Gang Fights
Great school
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Excelsior Springs, MOMay 15, 2018
If I could I would go back and get another trade I love it and would recommend anybody to go there if they need a high school deploma or trade very fun place
Cons
Great people but bad workplace culture
Counseling Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oneonta, NYMay 14, 2018
Had a lot of restrictions and rules. Mostly is about how to get funding by students’ achievements by numbers and not about quality of care for the students to achieve in life. Just really sad how everything is based on percentages and numbers and not about the students’ well-being.

The people are nice to work with, but the system makes it hard a difficult environment to work in.