Joe's Crab Shack Employee Reviews

Fun at work
Server (Former Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLMarch 15, 2019
Joe's was a fun environment for the guests and the workers. It was right on the beach giving it a vacation feel. Music was always playing and the workers worked as a team.
Pros
Great team
Fun energetic workplace
Waiter (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 7, 2019
Joe's Crab Shack was a fun, energetic job. I loved the atmosphere, the music and the dancing. The food presentation was good and the drinks were easy to sell.
Pros
Fun atmosphere
Had a lot of potential
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZMarch 4, 2019
A typical day at work, after training, was a huge amount of workload on the workers who wanted things to run smoothly. Those who were good at the job rarely got recognition (I didn't see the really good servers receive their due), yet were overworked because they needed them there. I learned that some management doesn't care about employees as long as the money is being made. The workplace culture was a little bit cut-throat and toxic, there was unnecessary drama. Although, one culture the guests loved were the dance routines we did at a customer request. The hardest part of the job was knowing co-workers may not give their all despite knowing how busy it would get. The most enjoyable part was actually being recognized by a manager who will remain confident.
Pros
gaining independence through a job
Cons
Short breaks
Poor
Flex Manager (Former Employee) –  Robinson Township, PAFebruary 27, 2019
Well the one that I worked at went unfortunately out of business. However, when I first started to work there, I absolutly loved the job, people and atmosphere. Towards the end, it was terrible, no tip employees?
Pros
Free lunch when managing
Cons
Almost cost me my house with no tips
High energy
Host/Server (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, NJFebruary 27, 2019
Joe's was a fun place to work! The dances that we did for our guests was my favorite part. Making an individualized experience for our guests was another one of my favorite parts. Creating fun bibs always made the guests have a good time.
Relaxed environment
Server (Former Employee) –  Redondo Beach, CAFebruary 25, 2019
Could be an extremely slow day or an extremely busy day with the restaurant understaffed. The management were understandable but also to quick to give in to customers ridiculous requests. Customers would often try to get free food with excuses of them not liking it but would finish the whole plate.
Pros
Good discount and coworkers
Cons
Poor clientele
Hard To move up at that postion
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAFebruary 21, 2019
very wet and fast paced a lot of movement around the dish pit u have to be very careful of what u are u doing a lot of attitudes and rude people just trying do their jobs
Pros
free lunches was cool
Cons
short breaks and rude busters
Bussboy/Host/Barback/Food Runner
Host, waiter, barkback, busboy cleaning tables (Former Employee) –  Clifton, NJFebruary 21, 2019
Joe’s Crab Shack was my very first legal job when I was 18 years old coming out of high school in 2012. I worked there for 6 months and during that time I learned a lot about the restaurant industry. I started cleaning tables and quickly worked my way up to get promoted to different positions which is good to do something different but there were no breaks at all especially when you were working 8 hours+ you had to eat before you started with your regular clothes or after you clocked off. I had to sneak off to the bathroom stalls to eat Pop Tarts! Management thought they were the CEO’s and got away with doing anything they wanted. My last shifts I ended up doing a no call no show and got a new part time job.
Pros
Coworkers, tips, promotions and discount food
Cons
No breaks, long hours, dancing, management and some rude customers
Buen trabajo
Joe's Crab Shack (Former Employee) –  Branson, MOFebruary 20, 2019
Trabajo en equipo muy bien linpieza total Buenos jefes
Pros
Seguro medico
Cons
Todo bien
Hostest
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Bossier City, LAFebruary 16, 2019
I loved working as a host as Joes crab shack learned a lot about that job and with training I caught on fast in the first week by learning all tables in order and what all to do I learned to seat the guest run the board and clean tables when needed after guest left I enjoyed it because it taught me so much
fun
Head Bartender, Head Waitress, Trainer (Former Employee) –  Destin, FLFebruary 15, 2019
this was a great place to work while i was in college. It was located in the center of a tourist trap, so i was a busy bartender. The turn over rate wasn't that high because it was a good place to work
Seafood Specialist/ Line Cook (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 14, 2019
It was a great place to work. Advancement was consist and happened often. And the management was awesome. They were understanding and cared for the advancement of the employees
Many pros and cons but overall not bad
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COFebruary 13, 2019
The starting pay for a prep/line cook wis nice at $12 w/ less than a year experience. Joe's gives some pretty hefty raises compared to many other companies I've worked at or heard of (.25-$1 per year). The Joe's I work at has "performance based scheduling", which means if you start slacking off, you stop getting hours pretty quickly. This works out very well for me due to my highly motivated personality and great work ethic in general. I get overtime hours roughly 2/5 weeks (averaged 38 hours/week), but this will suck if you are a slacker or low motivated person, your hours will get cut super quick.

The GM was awesome, I'd marry her if she would let me. I get a lot of special treatment by management, again because I work very hard, and put a lot of effort into improving workplace efficiency. I'm currently the top pick for an open culinary expert (kitchen shift lead) position, but I've only been here for 3 months so I need more development and training before they can give me a leadership position. On that note, the advancement definitely will happen if you show that you are capable.

Overall, a fun place to work with generally friendly staff. It's soured by a few bad apples in both FOH and BOH, but management assures me that they will be gone once we get new enough new hires to restaff the place.
Pros
50% meal discount, breaks when asked for, good scheduling, decent pay, good advancement opportunities
Cons
favoritism (can use this to your advantage though), a couple of lazy managers
Worst job I've had
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXFebruary 11, 2019
This place wasn't for me.. everyone was extremely lazy and things always fell back on the hosts. The lack of hours was a main factor in why I left. I felt like I was just wasting my time.
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
Closes down.
Many hats. (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, NJFebruary 9, 2019
This place was a fun place to work. I'm very upset that this place had to close down for good. I wish that it was still up and running. I would love to work there again
Pros
Fun atmosphere
Cons
Closed permanently
Dishwasher
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Independence, MOFebruary 6, 2019
I was dishwasher help on friday and saturday nights. Every weekday before work i was also responsible for mopping the floors and cleaning the bathrooms.
Fun and Exciting workplace.
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Pearland, TXFebruary 5, 2019
New people, new ideas, new sales and food products, this was an exciting place to work. Real laid back, but rules were still enforced like any other structured workplace. From dancing to fun and outgoing individuals, this was definitely an interesting experience.
Great for the entertainers, must like dancing and doing birthdays!
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Oceanside, CAJanuary 25, 2019
The families that come into Joes are usually on vacation or celebrating a birthday so you must be prepared to do some entertaining. You must always put in 100 percent energy and sometimes that is not enough because it is a high paced environment.
You do make great tips and great money on average most people are doing $1000 in sales on a typical night so even ten percent puts $100 in your pocket for a night.
Pros
Good Tips
Cons
Dancing and Birthdays and Tourist
Very good money, and career advancement
Server, Bartender, Manager (Former Employee) –  Cockeysville, MDJanuary 21, 2019
Every day at work is always different but in a good way. I was promoted to a manager which gave me the opportunity to learn new skills. All my employees were very hardworking and showed me a lot of respect being a new manager. Hardest part was some senior employees who were older than me didn't see me as an authority figure, so there was a little power struggle at the beginning. Most enjoyable part was how organized everything was. I had never worked for corporate before.
Pros
New learning opportunities
Cons
Such long hours
Would not refer anyone to work there
Bartender/Server (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 14, 2019
Unfortunately the Management team is very toxic. There is no real leadership or structure, although the money can be good at times, it is not worth the stress in the end.
Pros
Cons
Bad place to work. Period.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Joe's Crab Shack. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP50%
In the Top 50% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Joe's Crab Shack.

Powered by Comparably