John Carroll University Employee Reviews

Adjuncts in English have few opportunities
Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee) –  University Heights, OHJune 13, 2018
The department of English, like many departments across the country, has had cuts. There are fewer and fewer sections that need to be covered. It would be great if there were a tiered system for adjuncts -- something like "Lecturer 1, and Lecturer 2"...but that would take a top-down concern for equity or at least fairness. Despite the Jesuit ideals, those do not extend to adjunct faculty in practice. I believe this ultimately is a loss for students.
Pros
Spiritual atmosphere, pleasant teaching spaces
Cons
Low salary, no chance to advance or even crosstrain
fun place to work
Cook/Prep (Former Employee) –  University Heights, OHJune 6, 2018
everyone laughed and joked with each other,we all helped each other out if someone was falling behind,we got free lunch whatever we wanted the chef was one of the best people I ever met or worked for
Pros
free lunch nice Chritmas parties
Cons
constantly moving
Excellent place to grow
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  University Heights, OHMay 24, 2018
Very relaxed and friendly atmosphere. People are always willing to help. Good place for those who need the experience as the education is endless. There is always room for advancement.
Close-knit environment
Tutor (Former Employee) –  University Heights, OHMay 22, 2018
I love John Carroll. The small campus makes it easy to go to class quickly. The location of the school is in the middle of the University Heights, so it is easy to get around the city. The people at the school are kind.
work study
Computer help desk (Former Employee) –  University Heights, OHApril 16, 2018
The job was through the work study program. Students work for University departments as a way to supplement financial aid and pay for tuition or other living expenses during the year
Fun, productive, creative, and helpful
Marketing Communications Intern (Former Employee) –  University Heights, OHApril 14, 2018
I really enjoyed my internship at John Carroll University. A typical day was very productive, as I designed creative content on my lap top in my office and attended meetings in which I presented my ideas. I learned how to work with individuals who are different from me, how to prioritize my work to meet deadlines, and strengthened my problem solving and creative skills. I enjoyed my manager, and the workplace was a very fun, laid back, productive environment. Everyone was very helpful and encouraging, and I fit in very well with the culture. The hardest part of the job was the fact that I was not always given deadlines. This leniency was hard for me to get used to in the beginning, because I like having structure and order. I created my own dead lines for myself in order to have a more defined schedule. I loved attending events, and presenting my ideas to my manager. I love receiving feedback, whether it be praise or constructive criticism.
Pros
culture and freedom to express creative ideas
Cons
too laid back at times
Love working for John Carroll University. Best Housekeeping job
Housekeeping (Current Employee) –  University Heights, OHFebruary 27, 2018
The job is fast paced. Only work one day a week but l enjoy working there. Everyone is friendly and we all get along great. Love working there. The Supervisor makes sure we have all supplies we need to get the work done when a request is put in for supplies. Fast paced work.
The hardest part of the job is in the winter time when you have to get all the salt off of the floor.
The most enjoyable part of the job is that we can do our job without supervision. We do a good job of cleaning the building, No complaints ever.
Pros
Can take off if need be without problems
Cons
There are no cons
Great enivronment to learn and grow
Publicity Intern (Former Employee) –  University Heights, OHFebruary 9, 2018
My time working at John Carroll University has been wonderful! Everyone that I have worked with has been supportive and willing to help me do the best job that I can! Love it!
Pros
Inclusivity, Creativity encouraged
Everyone is incredibly kind
Student Coordinator for OGT Tutoring (Former Employee) –  University Heights, OHNovember 26, 2017
The staff at JCU is the best. They maintain a professional environment while making it social and fun for all employees. All staff members support one another and usually maintain relationships outside the office.
I loved JCU
Programmer / Analyst and Faculty Liaison (Former Employee) –  University Heights, OHOctober 27, 2017
I really enjoyed working at John Carroll. The only complaint was salary or I would still be working there. In fairness it is a private university and treat you very well.
Pros
the environment, the people
Cons
salary
Was a Summer Workforce Employee
Student Workforce (Former Employee) –  University Heights, OHOctober 25, 2017
Worked 40 hours a week, was compensated, free housing over the summer. It was a job. Your boss is a great guy and would expect you to work just like any boss would.
Its okey place to work
GC Services (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHOctober 21, 2017
They have a store in the recreations center on the campus that have good food thats the cafeteria and they are selling good john carroll clothes. Outside of the campus is really nice because they have really good landscape.
Pros
You have to pay for your lunches
Cons
You will get three breaks
John Carroll Registrar
Student Worker (Current Employee) –  University Heights, OHOctober 4, 2017
This was a great place to work. As a student worker you only make minimum. The work was tedious and you were supervised at all times. Really the only job you were doing is pulling files.
very easy work no drama good enviorment great employees
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHAugust 12, 2017
a day envolves cleaning dorm rooms taking out trash greeting students cleaning restrooms hardest part was working in the freshman dorms they smell & very trashy or noisey i learned how to be more professional being around professors and wealthy people most enjoyable was being around a great group of people that was very happy and fun managment is great they try there hardest to work with you
Pros
3 breaks
Cons
very hot
great Working Environment
Human Resource Assistant / College Instructor (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMay 9, 2017
Great team and place to work. Friendly professional environment.
A Culture of professional and employees and employers that care about employees'.
IF you have a chance to work for the University don't pass the opportunity.
Pros
culture
Cons
parking area for employees could be larger
Overall a great place to work
Associate Director of Campus Ministry (Current Employee) –  University Heights, OHMarch 18, 2017
There are many wonderful benefits offered by the University including free tuition for dependents.
There is an emphasis on maintaining work/life balance, which includes access to recreational facilities and classes.
There are also many opportunities to engage in an active learning community with discussion forums, conferences and outside speakers.
Pros
Tuition benefits
Cons
lower salary than other organizations
Diverse group of individuals working towards a common goal
Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  University Heights, OHMarch 7, 2017
Excellent staff and place of work. They are always willing to help and answer any questions you may have. Job is challenging at times, but the rewards are worth the efforts.
Student/Cadet
United States Army ROTC Cadet (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMarch 1, 2017
As a cadet the schedule was very full of all military aspects and having to balance a full load as a college student was challenging but very doable. It is a great experience for time management and discipline.
Work place that encourages growth and promotes independent thinking
Graduate Assistant in Biology (Current Employee) –  University Heights, OHFebruary 5, 2017
John Carroll University has provided me with the opportunity to grow as a scientist capable of completing independent research while simultaneously furthering my education and capability to act as a leader and teacher of young students.
Simply a work study program
Tutor/Mentor (Former Employee) –  University Heights, OHFebruary 1, 2017
John Carroll University provided me an opportunity to not only build a base of knowledge for the real world, but expanded my depth within Mathematics.