John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts Employee Reviews

N/a
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 15, 2018
leadership believes access to the performances compensate for horrible pay... and it does not! They feel like it’s more important to pay “artistic advisors” hundred of thousands of dollars, for their name, than to pay the employees a decent salary to survive in DC.
Kennedy Center
Usher (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 3, 2018
Easy place to work but hours are usually evenings for ushers

Depending on what you are doing your 90 days may go by or may take forever

Theater Ushers vs Others (are treated differently) as well as whoever is at the desk

Could be better
Pros
Shows, Minimum Work
Cons
Long Hours, Co-workeds
Great Internship, Should be paid
Graphic Design Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 30, 2018
This internship was a great opportunity and experience. The other interns could be a little cliquey, but overall, everyone is very kind and helpful. Some of the internships differ in workload, but mine was very full, and I would often arrive at work earlier or leave later than my boss in order to get things done. They do provide a travel stipend, although that was not enough to cover my commute. Therefore, I believe that this internship should be paid, but it is still a very good internship.
Pros
Hour long lunch, beautiful building, nice people
Cons
unpaid, slightly cliquey
The Disney Land for the Performing Arts
Arts Education (Intern) (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 12, 2018
Working at The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts was simply Amazing. The National Symphony Orchestra is housed there, along with Theater for Young Audiences. Their stages always have enriching Theater Arts or Dance with Education Workshops from the given companies included.
Great people, tight budget
IT Professional (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 21, 2018
Fantastic work environment caused by unique mission to promote the fine arts with passionate colleagues. Budget shortfalls force internal teams to operate less than fully staffed.
Pros
Elite Arts Organization, good benefits
Cons
Low pay, split institutional focus (Arts Edu vs Revenue vs Program Creativity)
High School Job
Tour guide (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 14, 2017
Great high School Job. As an Usher you deal with everyone. The patron, the actors, the stagehands, lighting, directors, food and beverage. I learned very early to get involved in everything but at the same time stay out of the way until you are truly able to take over.
Pros
Met lots of people
Cons
Commute from Virginia to DC
Great Work Place
Contracting Officer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 7, 2017
I've been at the Kennedy Center for 3 years. I love working here. The team atmosphere is great. However, I'm currently looking to relocate.

The management here at the Kennedy Center is a problem but I have confidence in the new VP.

The most enjoyable thing here would have to be the family feel with the fellow employees.
Pros
Discount SHows
Best job I ever had!
Director of Volunteers (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 19, 2017
Yes, stressful. Yes, fun and relaxed. All of the above. Truly an honor to work here and support the performing arts. I got to meet a lot of famous actors, musicians, composers, writers, directors, and producers. All of my volunteers were awesome! I loved being able to perk them with tickets to shows.

Staff and volunteers were all amazing, eccentric, crazy, funny. We got a lot of work done and we had so much fun!
Pros
Tickets to shows! The honor of working for the nation's performing arts center.
Cons
Long hours. Low pay compared to other places. But wouldn't trade it for more money.
Productive and fast paced work environment
Videographer for the Millennium Stage (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 17, 2017
It is a good place to work and learn and grow, the people are nice and the job is very enjoyable.the shows are different every night so it will not get dull at all
Pros
you learn a lot
Cons
parking is expensive in DC
Incredible for anyone passionate about working in the arts
Press Intern for Classical Programming (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 23, 2017
A great place for anyone who has a passion for making arts accessible to the public. Great work culture of established professionals. Tricky work/life balance at times - in certain departments you are working longer hours.
Fun place to work!
Assistant Manager of Advertising Services (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 26, 2017
If you love the arts this is a great place to work. I had a wonderful manager and a great team. The pay isn't great and there isn't a lot of room for advancement.
Pros
seeing free performances
Cons
low salaries
Great place to work.
Data Collector (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 25, 2016
Good work/life balance, friendly, knowledgeable and professional staff, and a fun and interesting place to work. As a staff member you have access to discount tickets.
Busy but fun
Usher/Sales Associate - Part Time (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 7, 2016
Get to meet all kinds of different people. Fun and exciting and cultivating shows to experience. Coworkers are great. Only hard part is getting off late after working 1 job already.
Professinal & Upscale
Box Office Usher (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 18, 2016
This is one of those jobs that doesn't pay much but you don't mind. This did not feel like work. Many retired professionals where my former co-workers. If you desire leisure part time employment, I recommend the Kennedy Center!
Pros
relaxing environment, professional, discounts on shows
Cons
wish job could have been full time & year round
This job encourages you to be creative and fun in the classroom.
Education Department - Registered Teaching Artist (Current Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDAugust 18, 2015
As a teaching artist I utilize arts education to help students tap into their inner genius and express themselves with spontaneity and a wealth of diverse mediums in the arts.
Pros
Free/ discounted opera tickets.
Cons
Sometimes parking is too far from the elevators.
Golden Circles
Bartender Private Room (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 27, 2015
Had to be able to work independent, professional in our dealings with patrons. Organize, time management very important, uniform well groom & lift 50 pounds(if needed).
Pros
Flex Schedule, Great Shows
Cons
Weather
Excellent Work Environment
Annual Giving Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 26, 2014
Learned a tremendous amount about fundraising and donor cultivation.
Great experience in various security concepts and applicatons.
Special Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Washington d.cSeptember 2, 2014
Exposed me to various security concepts. Co-workers were great to work with. I learned not to make negative comments to public. Nothing about the job was stressful.
Pros
Dealing with the public
Cons
Most work was done iside of facility
A Wonderful Place to Work at as an Intern
Fellowships/Arts Management Department Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 17, 2014
I have had many an internship but this one was by and large my favorite. Everyone who worked there no matter if they were a high powered executive or in the IT department was always friendly and helpful. I learned a great deal from the well structured intern program.
The best place to work in the performing arts
Employee (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 8, 2014
The Kennedy Center is the place to be if you wish to work in the arts industry. There are many opportunities for growth and the organization values employees through internal promotion. Many opportunities for free tickets and seat filling opportunities for KC Honors and Mark Twain Prize. The entry level salary isn't great, but for the arts, it's definitely better than other places.