John Hancock Employee Reviews

management team
Limited Principal (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 14, 2018
John Hancock is where I honed my professional skills and taught myself the right way of doing business. Frankly, a small segment of my management team back then did not seem interested in cultivating a work culture that encouraged growth and promotion for their employees. It was not until I left the industry and moved on to better things that I felt my work was in fact much appreciated.
As far as culture much more time was spent on criticism than accolade. While I do not think either should be a requirement, I do believe there are better ways to get the most out of an employee.
The hardest part of the job, at least the part that required the most dedication, was working within the ebb and flow of markets. The most enjoyable part of the job were the good people I found myself working with on a couple of specific teams I was on, a very intelligent and savvy group.
Great work life balance
CARE Group Policy Administrative System (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 13, 2018
The company does a good job of allowing its interns to participate in real engaging work. Mangement is always there to help and there are many opportunities for networking and personal development.
John Hancock was a great place to work and gain experience in the financial services industry.
Instructional Designer/Trainer/Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 8, 2018
I started my career with John Hancock as a Customer Service Representative in their call center. I was promoted to Team Leader after one year, where I had my own team of CSRs. I then accepted a position as Trainer and was promoted to Senior Trainer after one year. I then took a side step and became an Instructional Designer, where I remained for five years until I was laid off when John Hancock was purchased by ManuLife Financial.
Good,solid place
IT Contractor (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 3, 2018
-Co-workers were competent and long tenured
-Good location: Back Bay Boston
-High level of professionalism: people collaborated well and conducted themselves well on average
Pros
Nice building, perks, Most coworkers knew their job well
Cons
Layoffs, A bit slow paced for IT
co-workers
Training Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 2, 2018
I had great co-workers. I loved my job. Learned so much as I was there for 20 years. It was difficult to switch departments at the end. They paid for part of my MBA but they didnt want to benefit from it. Couldn't get a marketing position for the life of me.
Account Distribution Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 14, 2018
My immediate manager was aweful . Their was no direction the process and procedures.
Theo my time we spoke, was when I called for help or direction, and it would take weeks for a response.
Pros
Fair company, great products!
Cons
My immediate manager
First employer in appraisal career
Senior Appraiser (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 13, 2018
Enjoyed learning about the industry while developing auto appraiser skills, very teamwork approach with great management who supported employees daily
JH Experience
Accounting Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 12, 2018
The Co. is going thru a major trans. May not be ideal for someone looking for long term emp. opportunities. Co-workers are extremely competitive and will stop at nothing to drag you down, while bettering themselves. Not an isolated situation, but a culture at JH endorsed my senior management.
ongoing changing environment due to new CEO
Executive Legal Assistant, US Law (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 9, 2018
Great place to work , employees helpful, downtown Boston location hard commute and parking but historical location is appreciated. New CEO relocating some offices.
Pros
location downtown Boston
Cons
location downtown Boston, commute and parking
insurance sales
Agent (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 20, 2018
Straight commission, It ws very difficult getting started.Hours were primarly evening which was very difficult with a young family.
this was a very high pressure sales position
Pros
fair compensation
Cons
work hours
Great place to build a career
Senior Business Consultant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 12, 2018
I worked for John Hancock for 35.5 years in many different job positions and through many different company management structures/philosophies. Overall, my experience with the company has been very positive. The best benefit for me has been the support from management for individual career development, including business and technical training offered through the company, and the possibility of upward or lateral job changes which allow an individual to participate in all aspects of the business.
Pros
Flexible work arrangements, including work from home
great place to start a career
Senior LAN Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 8, 2018
John Hancock allowed me to switch from finance to IT work and trained me in the process so that I would be able to stay with the company. It was a great place to start my IT career.
fun place
Front desk/ Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 4, 2018
Great managers
collaborative efforts
flexible working hours
comfortable job assignment
management meetings helpful
long breaks and lunch provided and also field work
Pros
free lunches
Cons
tedious sometimes
I traveled some and presented LTC packages to the elderly. I enjoyed the job, wanted to do other things
Brokerage Manager and Long-Term-Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMay 28, 2018
It is a great company to work for and I enjoyed my job, but wanted to begin working on starting our own business.

My boss was kind and fair in all ways and helped me with my job as needed.

The travel at that time was the difficult part.

I enjoyed talking with people and presenting the program
Pros
Great workplace and enjoyed my job.
Cons
Didn't like the travel part and having to be out of town over night
Productive workplace with management who cares
Titles Analyst, Life Insurance (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 25, 2018
John Hancock implemented a work from home program so we as individuals are able to balance our work and personal lives without stress. Great company!!
Pros
work from home, management cares, nice break room, gym
Cons
not much human interaction as majority of people work from home
Lively Place with great culture
IT Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 23, 2018
Great place with competitive work culture. The cafeteria is amazing and you will love to work in this building. You will get to learn about new tools with various projects. The team is a fun team and always willing to help and support each other.
It's been too long; can't give meaningful feedback.
Business Analyst and Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 21, 2018
It's been too long; can't give meaningful feedback. The company culture changed drastically with purchase by Manulife in 2004. Cost-cutting and shift of technical support offshore have complicated attempts at productive work.
One Roof, One Team
MANAGER, PARTICIPANT SERVICES (Current Employee) –  Westwood, MAMay 16, 2018
Spirit of collaboration is felt throughout the organization. Each part of the organization respects other teams with the strong understanding that our clients are first and we have to to do whatever it takes to achieve customer satisfaction.
Customer service oriented, work load not well managed
Underwriting Consultant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 16, 2018
A typical day consisted of doing personal assigned caseload and then about half the day in back up for others workload that were behind. Caseload distribution did not appear well managed.
Pros
Excellent customer service/relations
Cons
Caseloads appeared unevenly distributed
Office drone
Attorney (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 14, 2018
I have not worked there in 15 years, but I can not imagine much has changed.. Very corporate office setting and job. Think cubicle after cubicle. If you ever saw Office Space...

Ask a question about working or interviewing at John Hancock. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

Powered by Fairygodboss

4.0Fairygodboss Score

50%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.