John Hancock Employee Reviews

management team
Limited Principal (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 14, 2018
John Hancock is where I honed my professional skills and taught myself the right way of doing business. Frankly, a small segment of my management team back then did not seem interested in cultivating a work culture that encouraged growth and promotion for their employees. It was not until I left the industry and moved on to better things that I felt my work was in fact much appreciated.
As far as culture much more time was spent on criticism than accolade. While I do not think either should be a requirement, I do believe there are better ways to get the most out of an employee.
The hardest part of the job, at least the part that required the most dedication, was working within the ebb and flow of markets. The most enjoyable part of the job were the good people I found myself working with on a couple of specific teams I was on, a very intelligent and savvy group.
Productive but lack of job security and management support
Operations Associate (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 18, 2018
The company culture changed drastically, operation areas always have high turnover due to aggressive cost-cutting - work life balance is a great program
Pros
Reasonable benefits, health, dental, life, 401k, employee stock purchase
Cons
Job security
Good benefits but pay is lower than others in industry
Senior Legal Specialist (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 16, 2019
John Hancock has good benefits (including a Pension) but their pay scale is lower than other companies in the industry. Advancement is difficult at best where achieving AVP or higher is next to impossible. There also seems to be very little opportunity to move around in the company.
Pros
Good benefits, time-off, bonuses
Cons
Advancement, career development, base pay
For a first job it was a great experience
Senior case analyst/ death claim approver (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 6, 2018
I started with John Hancock right after I graduated High School. I started out as a secretary and quickly was promoted to customer service representative. It was not long after that I was promoted to endowments and then death claim appraiser. There was always a way to move up in the company and I always took advantage of that.
Again it was the retirement industry in which i spent 20 pus years
Enrollment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLNovember 13, 2018
Great solid company with excellent management. I was a retirement educator and travelled the country giving presentation in English and Spanish. I made a difference in a lot of peoples financial ives.
Pros
Compensation, excellent work tools
Cons
a lot of airports, and hotels
Ok
Sales (Current Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 14, 2018
Work/life balance could be a little tough during busy times" (in 11 reviews)

"Very large company, no hand holding" (in 10 reviews)

"Hard to move upwards in smaller divisions" (in 5 reviews)

"Too many dumb rules and red tape and there were always "budget issues" regardless of whether Manulife earnings were good or not" (in 8 reviews)

"Most of senior management has been there too long and do not value new ideas/fresh perspective" (in 8 reviews)
National Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 12, 2018
I enjoyed working at John Hancock Financial Services. They allowed you to grow in advance in your career .Very professional culture. I would consider returning to John Hancock Financial Services is the opportunity were to be available.
Great Company
Life Insurance Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 22, 2018
Very good company. Management provided good mentoring and guidance.
I would highly recommend this company for a a rewarding career and advancement. I worked there for 2 years.
Great Training Tool
Aspire Financial Partners Member (Former Employee) –  Miami Lakes, FLJanuary 14, 2019
I was hired to learn the business and help with the workflow. I learned a lot about retirement and health packages for the clients. Management was eager to teach me.
Pros
Relaxed enviorment
Cons
No career advancement
Great place to build a career
Senior Business Consultant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 12, 2018
I worked for John Hancock for 35.5 years in many different job positions and through many different company management structures/philosophies. Overall, my experience with the company has been very positive. The best benefit for me has been the support from management for individual career development, including business and technical training offered through the company, and the possibility of upward or lateral job changes which allow an individual to participate in all aspects of the business.
Pros
Flexible work arrangements, including work from home
Good Company
SENIOR BUSINESS ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, NHDecember 6, 2018
Overall a good company to start a career. Management team is committed to the customer and their employees. Pay could be improved based on similar functions within other companies
First employer in appraisal career
Senior Appraiser (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 13, 2018
Enjoyed learning about the industry while developing auto appraiser skills, very teamwork approach with great management who supported employees daily
Verified that sub-advisor’s and custodian’s monthly reconciliations of market values, cash balances, and share positions fell within tolerances. • Pre
Institutional Operations Analyst (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 12, 2018
• Prepared monthly management reports and quarterly reporting material for Trustees.
• Assisted in preparing proxy solicitations, and maintained and archived all proxy material, including ballots and annual and quarterly reports.
Great place to learn
Senior IT Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 30, 2018
People were great. After Manulife bought John Hancock the company culture changed dramatically and became more secretive. Rumor mill always proved to be more accurate than what Middle management told staff was going on.
Pros
People
Cons
Middle Managment is a joke
JH Experience
Accounting Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 12, 2018
The Co. is going thru a major trans. May not be ideal for someone looking for long term emp. opportunities. Co-workers are extremely competitive and will stop at nothing to drag you down, while bettering themselves. Not an isolated situation, but a culture at JH endorsed my senior management.
John Hancock was a great place to work and gain experience in the financial services industry.
Instructional Designer/Trainer/Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 8, 2018
I started my career with John Hancock as a Customer Service Representative in their call center. I was promoted to Team Leader after one year, where I had my own team of CSRs. I then accepted a position as Trainer and was promoted to Senior Trainer after one year. I then took a side step and became an Instructional Designer, where I remained for five years until I was laid off when John Hancock was purchased by ManuLife Financial.
Company in transformation
staff member (Former Employee) –  Boston, MA, USADecember 20, 2018
* Long hours
* Lack of training for new staff
* Sink or swim mentality
* Unclear direction, focus seemed to change every other week
* Lack of coordination among the stakeholders
Great company
Sr. Claims Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 1, 2018
John Hancock or Manulife is a fantastic company to work for lots of opportunity to move around and advance, they also train you for your next career adventures within the company
JH Review
Closing Analyst/Processor (Former Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 28, 2018
Pro's: Great Cafe - Great Crew...- . - . - . - .- . - Not sure what else tosay.
Con's: Advance was slow and took too many years to reach. - . - . - . Not sure what else to say.
Pros
Close to Home
Cons
Salary
Amazing work environment
Business Consultant (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 27, 2018
Liked working there as it is a very good flexible work envi. Would recommend it highly to friends and family. CEO has good strategy and is executing it well

Ask a question about working or interviewing at John Hancock. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

3.3Fairygodboss Score

33%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss