John Hancock Employee Reviews

Okay
Marketing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 12, 2018
I learned a lot. I had various jobs within John Hancock.

It gave me the confidence I needed. Also, this is where I went back to school at night and John Hancock paid for it.
Great experience
Fund Performance Intern (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 8, 2018
Gained constant insight into the financial services industry. The intern program was very beneficial. I learned from different people including sales, product services, fund performance, ect.
Great company
Sr. Claims Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 1, 2018
John Hancock or Manulife is a fantastic company to work for lots of opportunity to move around and advance, they also train you for your next career adventures within the company
over all good
Data Developer Architect (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 30, 2018
Good opportunity to lean new tool.
Couple of Good managers
Good team members and good sharing of knowledge.
Good opportunity to work with many other teams.
Great place to work with benefits and opportunities
Alternative Dispute Resolution Legal Analyst (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 17, 2018
Very grateful for the opportunities provided to me while working for John Hancock. I grew both professionally and personally while working at John Hancock.
Working for a large company
Senior Quality Review Analyst (Current Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 14, 2018
It's working for a large company that seems to no longer care about its employees very much. The work life balance is great with being able to work from home, but thats the only positive that I have to say
Ok
Sales (Current Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 14, 2018
Work/life balance could be a little tough during busy times" (in 11 reviews)

"Very large company, no hand holding" (in 10 reviews)

"Hard to move upwards in smaller divisions" (in 5 reviews)

"Too many dumb rules and red tape and there were always "budget issues" regardless of whether Manulife earnings were good or not" (in 8 reviews)

"Most of senior management has been there too long and do not value new ideas/fresh perspective" (in 8 reviews)
Competitive and rewarding.
Senior Accountant I (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 5, 2018
Working at John Hancock was competitive but also fun and rewarding. During my time at John Hancock I volunteer with my team for various causes, it was a great team building opportunity.
Good work place.
Quality Analyst (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 4, 2018
A generally good work place overall. Many talented individuals who contribute positively to the success of the company. Employees took there responsibilities seriously.
Pros
Quality People.
Great place to learn
Senior IT Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 30, 2018
People were great. After Manulife bought John Hancock the company culture changed dramatically and became more secretive. Rumor mill always proved to be more accurate than what Middle management told staff was going on.
Pros
People
Cons
Middle Managment is a joke
Fun for right out college people
Licensed Investment Representative (Former Employee) –  Okemos, MIAugust 20, 2018
We had a fun and easy going atmosphere. We rarely saw our manager and we allowed to be as successful as we could. We had fun and provided a great transition to the real world.
Impossible situation
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Northbrook, ILAugust 16, 2018
I was brought in as an unwanted supervisor set up to fail.

The team was in serious trouble and my job was to improve it, but on any given day I could have up to 5 team members put on a different team to help them achieve their goals
Pros
Good team members
Cons
Too much interference by other supervisors
management team
Limited Principal (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 14, 2018
John Hancock is where I honed my professional skills and taught myself the right way of doing business. Frankly, a small segment of my management team back then did not seem interested in cultivating a work culture that encouraged growth and promotion for their employees. It was not until I left the industry and moved on to better things that I felt my work was in fact much appreciated.
As far as culture much more time was spent on criticism than accolade. While I do not think either should be a requirement, I do believe there are better ways to get the most out of an employee.
The hardest part of the job, at least the part that required the most dedication, was working within the ebb and flow of markets. The most enjoyable part of the job were the good people I found myself working with on a couple of specific teams I was on, a very intelligent and savvy group.
Great work life balance
CARE Group Policy Administrative System (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 13, 2018
The company does a good job of allowing its interns to participate in real engaging work. Mangement is always there to help and there are many opportunities for networking and personal development.
John Hancock was a great place to work and gain experience in the financial services industry.
Instructional Designer/Trainer/Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 8, 2018
I started my career with John Hancock as a Customer Service Representative in their call center. I was promoted to Team Leader after one year, where I had my own team of CSRs. I then accepted a position as Trainer and was promoted to Senior Trainer after one year. I then took a side step and became an Instructional Designer, where I remained for five years until I was laid off when John Hancock was purchased by ManuLife Financial.
Good,solid place
IT Contractor (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 3, 2018
-Co-workers were competent and long tenured
-Good location: Back Bay Boston
-High level of professionalism: people collaborated well and conducted themselves well on average
Pros
Nice building, perks, Most coworkers knew their job well
Cons
Layoffs, A bit slow paced for IT
co-workers
Training Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 2, 2018
I had great co-workers. I loved my job. Learned so much as I was there for 20 years. It was difficult to switch departments at the end. They paid for part of my MBA but they didnt want to benefit from it. Couldn't get a marketing position for the life of me.
Account Distribution Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 14, 2018
My immediate manager was aweful . Their was no direction the process and procedures.
Theo my time we spoke, was when I called for help or direction, and it would take weeks for a response.
Pros
Fair company, great products!
Cons
My immediate manager
First employer in appraisal career
Senior Appraiser (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 13, 2018
Enjoyed learning about the industry while developing auto appraiser skills, very teamwork approach with great management who supported employees daily
JH Experience
Accounting Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 12, 2018
The Co. is going thru a major trans. May not be ideal for someone looking for long term emp. opportunities. Co-workers are extremely competitive and will stop at nothing to drag you down, while bettering themselves. Not an isolated situation, but a culture at JH endorsed my senior management.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at John Hancock. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.1InHerSight Score

3.0Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

3.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight