John Muir Health
71Above average

John Muir Health Employee Reviews

United States185 reviews
I worked in the float pool which sent me to several different locations and because of that I was able to learn a lot of new things that I can carry on into future endeavors. It was a fun place to work. Management was easy to talk to.
I loved my work at JM but that was mostly because I earned to respect and appreciation of my boss. She was tough and expected a high level of functioning, but we had a great working relationship.

As with all jobs, over the years there were good times and not so good, but you have to ride out the hard times anywhere.
Pros
Rewarding career, loved health care environment, good pay
Cons
It's not always easy. there's a lot of hard work involved.. Work can be stressful.
I took a day off to take my daughter to the doctor and they retaliated and wrote me up for things that happened months ago. I then went to her supervisor and asked for a transfer but the next day was called up to the office to be told they took my transfer request as a "resignation" and that would be the end of my John Muir career. I did realize how toxic it was until I knew I didn't have to go back there!
Pros
learn a lot
Cons
management sucks
I am able to work independently with minimal oversight because my managers trust me and want me to be happy and productive. They also try to accommodate everyone's vacation requests.
Pros
great culture
Share your experience
Let job seekers know what it's like to work at your company.
This place is a horrible place to work!! Everyone eventually quits. Management is terrible, discrimination, racism etc.... favoritisms really do your research before you waste your years
Pros
Na
Cons
Na
Overwhelming amount of work load, too many roles packed into one position, the position should have been made into two different positions. Couldn’t ever complete any task because of the constant interruptions due to escalated calls or constant walk in patients. couldn’t ever give the individual attention to details and patients that was needed. Felt overwhelmed even to come in to work because the workload was never ending. Felt as if there was an never ending pile. The rules changed everyday, so you never knew if what you were doing was correct until a mistake was made and then it was a BIG mistake that cause a meeting....this entire department should be re-evaluated has to how business was conducted with new management. This position should have been a remote position in order to get your work done but wasn’t ever offered due to the stress factor and the commute.
Pros
The benefits only
Cons
The people I worked with were amazing! The management was a little two faced at times but the other employees made up for that.I really don't have a ton to say but it was a nice temporary assignment.
Worked in Home Health which was an extension of the hospital care . Excellent pay and benefits but you must be up to par with your skills and organization to survive . You will either love it or hate it . I loved my job but moved out of state .
I always felt supported as an employee at this company. I only left because I was moving for my husband’s work. I highly recommend JMH. They value quality so you must work hard and show competence and good work ethic, but they also reward that when they see it.
I started working for JMH when it was Mt Diablo Medical Center, then they merged it was a great place to work. I think management can use some help. Other than that I head a great time working there.
Great place to work, lots of learning opportunities every day. The company does a good job providing opportunities for continuing education that will meet the Board of Registered Nursing hour recommendations.
Please be aware of your surroundings, not everyone with a smile is your friend. A smile does not make someone trust worthy , enemies smile all the time.
This Level 2 Trauma center had its act together. I was thoroughly impressed with staff, facilities and support. It was the only designated Trauma Center in Contra Costa County.
Ageism is rampant throughout the health system. You could work in a dept and have twice the experience, apply for a position several times over in that specialty and it is given to younger, lesser experienced staff. Terrible
Flexible work schedule, decent benefits and pay.

Some emphasis on improving work-place culture for employees not contractors.

Decent dining options, employee engagement activities, and different sites to work at.

However, technology, processes and departments are out dated. A lot of red-tape, poor/lack of communication between management and labor force. Waste of resources, no accountability and overall a toxic environment because of old-school mentalities from managers that have stayed on for decades.

A lot of bitter attitudes passed down from superiors to middle management. No innovation, gratitude, or transparency from leadership. Buyouts, acquisitions and poor business choices.

A lot of drama behind the scenes despite all the well-dressed people. So despite the positives not worth the drama.
The staff is overworked can feel overwhelming.fortunatly had a great workers in my department The good thing about john muir is its urgent care which is available 24/7.
I work with one of the most diverse groups in the hospital. I'm encouraged to succeed and am happy to get to work most days of the week. I have learned that we succeed together. My Director is one of the most helpful and encouraging managers I have ever worked with. She is always willing to explain and make sure that we understand what is being said in terms that we can understand. The hardest part of my job is making sure that I am doing the best that I can for the people that I work for. I want to do a good job for them. The most enjoyable part of my job is the people that I work with, we are not just staff we are a family.
My manager was very easy to communicate with. She was very fair and understood the pros and cons of the staff nurse. She tried to be very flexible when able.
Profits not Patients - Dishonest Unprofessional Business Practices - Equipment Fails Regularly - IT unsupportive and uncommunicative - Only company I've ever worked for that gave me a difficult time adding my spouse onto my benefits.
Great place to work, would have stayed there if we had not relocated. The only challenge which is big was attempting to promote in other positions closely related to current department. They should not allow management to see when you apply for positions because it causes issues and an uncomfortable space for easy discrimination. It should be up to the employee to relay information if offered a job
I helped room patients.
I took vitals.

helped them organize charts.

cleaned up after every patient.

I took EKGs for patients.

I took phone calls.

I helped patients get to where they needed to be.