John Q. Hammons Hotels & Resorts Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
guest service representative
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEAugust 14, 2018
full time employee, management not supportive of schedule or concerns. usually unavailable to offer training or support. pay was lower then other entry level jobs in Lincoln, NE. high turn over rate for entry level employees. many done within 90 days. didn't see any potential for growth when many supervising were barely doing there jobs. culture is condescending more then proactive in problem solving. if you want a job with drama and chaos, bullying and stress. this hotel is the place. several managers in hotel long term often had the attitude of disrespect towards lower employees. I felt welcomed my first month, then I felt dismissed and ran over everyday there after.
Cons
no management to hear concerns or help train
High stress/unpredictable work environment
Housekeeping Dept (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXJune 24, 2018
With this job you’re either extremely busy and being pulled in 3 directions or being cut hours because it is “slow.” Front desk does not understand housekeeping is extremely difficult work and demand things be done in unrealistic time. A cup of water will spill next to front desk and instead of grabbing a paper towel to wipe, front desk will call an extremely busy and overworked lobby attendant to stop their difficult job of cleaning 8 large public restrooms and lobby to walk over to the desk and clean the water. Extreme lack of communication between depts which makes all housekeeping positions 10x harder than they need to be. Guests will be allowed to check out whenever they please, sometimes in the late evening (7, 8pm) and front desk will sell the room so it then becomes your responsibility to clean the room in their time if you’re unlucky enough to be working when it happens. This happens often. Your job title means nothing as you will be used for many different tasks. Pay is not competitive for the area anymore and understaffing/ high turnover rate make this hotel not worth the headache/back ache.
Pros
Free drinks when machines work
Cons
High stress
A quality organization from top to bottom
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Rogers, ARJune 18, 2018
It was a please to grow my career for 24+ years in progressive positions of management with successes at every level of JQH Hotels and Resorts. The culture was one of associate first, and of ensuring that our properties were managed and maintained at the highest level of quality, and the highest regard for the associate.
Opportunity
HUMAN RESOURCES DIRECTOR (Former Employee) –  Jefferson City, MOMay 9, 2018
Hotel offers opportunity to work with customers during their vacation experience or banquet events. Government and luxury events bring in a vast array of customers and clients.
Awful upper management
GSR (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMarch 18, 2018
Your every move is micromamanaged and never seems to be good enough. You are expected to give 250% while upper management does the bare minimum. According to them (upper management- AGM's mouth) they have "paid their dues " so when problems arise, it's up to everyone else to get it figured out BC it's not their issue. Housekeeping staff is always short staffed and could definitely use more training to clean rooms up to standard. There is not a day that goes by without a housekeeping complaint/unclean rooms. Front office has the most turnover rate. As soon and you get used to a familiar face they end up quitting. Appreciation goes a long way, but upper management doesn't seem to understand this as they are always looking for fault. This is literally the worst place I have ever worked full of drama and stress. If your thinking of working here, please look into turnover rate first and decide if this is something you'd want to take a chance on. At the end of the day, they took my happiness and my shine which in the end was not worth it.
Pros
Going home after each shift
Cons
Poor upper management, drama filled
Unpredictable
Dining Room Server (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMarch 8, 2018
Never the same.Always changing usually for the worse. Business was like the tide of the ocean.Management was of very poor character from talking smack about employees to even stealing from employees.
Cons
no breaks
Housekeeping is full of drama!
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Joplin, MOFebruary 28, 2018
Everyone talked bad about each other, didn't matter how well you thought you were friends with everyone. GM does not care if it doesn't involve him! Pay sucked considering the hours you work. Housekeepers/housemen get ran to their bones. Worst hotel I've worked at, I've worked at 5.
Pros
Small "team" environment.
Cons
No breaks, bad pay, low hours. Drama, drama, drama.
If you don't subscribe to their way you are made to be the bad guy.
associate (Former Employee) –  Joplin, MOFebruary 8, 2018
It's unreal at the property i was employed at. Seems as if there is two set of rules , One for the hard working employees who go out everyday and do the job they were hired on to do and another for those employees who just punch the clock and slack off and pass the buck to the hard working employees. When you bring this to the attention of department heads you are made out to be the bad guy. You are told any complaints are made through chain of command i.e. HR but when you do nothing gets done about it so you go to GM who states one must go through HR and after you inform them that you did in plain words you are told that HR has no power or say at the property.
Pros
Cons
to much to list.
Horrible management, lack of care for employees
Dining Room Server (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXJanuary 14, 2018
When I first started working at Embassy Suites, it wasn't too bad. The restaurant was very slow for the most part, but when it did get busy we were never staffed correctly to be able to handle the rushes. Once the old GM and restaurant manager left, everything went downhill. The management was undertrained and unfit to be supervising anyone. There was a lot of bias within this job and the managers had favorites. This company and it's management including HR are very manipulative and talk to you as if you are an idiot. I wouldn't recommend anyone to work here unless they want to deal with a high turnover rate, unreliable coworkers and management, and being treated poorly.
Working in a hotel convention center fun and interesting.
Food Director (Former Employee) –  Springdale, ARJanuary 9, 2018
Dealing with multiple departments is always challenging but when the team clicks it is great. We went through two major managment changes but ended up with me advancing overall a great GM and subordinates that took well to the new direction, in which I had a hand. The GM brought the same hands on approach as I did. We developed a great team
Pros
A great job in every way
Cons
Family issues required my attention in Tennessee.
Not a bad place to work
Cook (Former Employee) –  Murfreesboro, TNOctober 28, 2017
Big hotel with alot of opportunities but there were some negative changes going on last time I was there, which was why I left. Advancement is difficult.
If you need a job until you find a better one...
Front Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Seaside, CAOctober 7, 2017
When I went in to interview the Assistant Front desk Manager was talking on his cellphone at the front desk. This was the culture I walked into. I was able to better those types of behaviors in the team. Upper management was often MIA if you n
Nice company
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 21, 2017
Nice company no complaints. It is a really good company to work for. It good for any young or senior professional to grow and learn. It supports internal advancements for employees.
Poor
Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALAugust 6, 2017
I was fired after my boss got the hots for one of my clients at the spa. Not only that but was falsely accused of several things in order to be fired after she did everything but curse me out in front of my family also they changed my pay and the Massage Therapist there talk about the clients constantly
Interesting Hotel
Holiday Inn and Casino Reno, Director of Sales (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVMay 21, 2017
My manager was not a great manager, He was not there when needed. It was a busy hotel with a casino. We took the hotel from not making our goals to exceeding them by 43%. John Q Hammons was a great company to work for
Pros
Good Company
Cons
Poor Management at the local level
Mid-size upscale hotel owner management company
Executive Chef (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOMay 20, 2017
Began career as banquet chef and then executive sous-chef ultimately resulting in executive chef of 5 different hotels spread throughout the country. Company believed high quality food was essential in selling rooms and enhancing guests experience.
Every hotel contained a 3 meal dining room as well as fine dining concept complete with table side cooking. Hotels contain from 15,000 square foot of convention space up to 120,000 square foot trade centers.
Company owned and operated every single hotel within its portfolio.
Productive Environment
Chateau on the Lake (Current Employee) –  Branson, MOMay 20, 2017
Productive work environment that gives you all the necessities you need to be successful. Great experience and great place to begin your career, if that's what you are after.
You must fit their "click"
Event/Banquet staff (Former Employee) –  Rogers, ARMay 9, 2017
Alot of staff are either drug users or alcoholics...seriously. You will also witness this on the job. I have held events there as well as later in life worked there and found this to be the case. If you report it to either management or to headquarters you will be harassed and released from your job. I was literally told that I did not fit into their culture!
Pros
Great customers and benefits
Cons
Poor unprofessional management and staff
Great Company
Director of Food and Beverage, AGM (Former Employee) –  La Vista, NEMarch 20, 2017
Great company to work for when Mr. Hammons was at the helm. The current leadership is nothing to write home to mom about. Hope they make it through court cases.
Pros
Great properties, put money back into them
Cons
Politically dangerous managers
very productive workplace
Assistant Banquet Manager (Former Employee) –  TexasMarch 19, 2017
had many accomplishments, advanced from lead server to assistant banquet manager in about one year! learned how to do cash br and bar drops. downside was I was on call 24/7.
Pros
free lunches employee meals etc
Cons
short lunches