Johns Hopkins University

Johns Hopkins University Reviews: Working at Johns Hopkins University

United States891 reviews

Johns Hopkins University insights

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job

Good place to work for

I loved my schedule. The benefits are good. Management is easy to be in contact with, and very helpful and caring. Once trained, the work is mostly autonomous. I built good work relationships with my supervisor and other staff members.

Fun place to work

Fun place to work as long as you’re with a good team and department. I have enjoyed my time with Johns Hopkins but wish they could do a better job with initial training and growth opportunities.

No complaints been there for a total of 10 years

Great place for foundation, learning opportunities, tuition remission for your children. Opportunities for unlimited professional development with Carey Business school at no expense to employees.

Cons

The ability to benefit from a Ph.D., the cost outweighs the benefit, creating a lengthy track since you can only attend JHU for a doctorate degree

Overworked for limited mobility

Lack of communication from above. Leave us constantly scrambling and looking like we don't know what's going on. Very limited mobility- if any. You get in at a certain rate, and will be thankful for a $500-1000 raise per year, if that. Poor workife balance- they say to take some time off your email and away from work but also expect you to respond to work crises and queries 24/7.

Pros

flexible hours

Cons

over work, low pay, low mobility

none, great for recent grad but lacks on job security. The name will help to get you to your next goal and also give you the experience to work for a prestigious company.

Do you enjoy working at your company?

Help people considering your employer make a good choice.

Excellent place for learning and medical care.Poor for compensation and position advancement.

Excellent research facilities and learning center. Very highly qualified physicians and medical care. Enjoyed working with many of the staff and students. I only had some problems with the upper management or senior staff. Otherwise, I enjoyed working for the hospital and university.

Pros

Free lunches and dinner on a weekly basis.

Cons

Poor advancement in position

Expected to work on weekends/evenings, no room to move up in position

My boss in particular is a great person, but it seems like everyone in my department is overworked (working extra during the week, working on weekends) and expects me to also work extra time without pay (I refuse). The duties of the job aren't bad, but all of the higher-ups overwork and overbook themselves on projects to the point where they have to delegate tasks to me, which causes me to literally not have enough time to meet all of my deadlines. I was told when I was hired that it's very difficult to move up in position, so I can't see myself staying here long term, especially considering everything I already mentioned.

Pros

Friendly coworkers

Cons

Expected to work unpaid overtime, no raises

Everyone is supportive and genuinely want you to learn and grow. Great team environment very flexible and you work with some of the best and brightest in the country.

No communication

The students were nice and most of the staff. Faculty was not so great. My department was the worse security teams didn't trust each other they had two at the time.

Not for the faint of heart

Not worth the trouble for entry level folks. Too much politics and not enough meaningful dialogue about works desires and needs. Just needs a better commitment to work/life balance

Poor management

Supervisor was rarely helpful. Management overall did not provide positive feedback. Very negative environment with a high turnover rate. Company has decent health benefits.

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

Negative environment

Smart people, important project

I was the only in-house designer. I worked primarily with the marketing director. The work was interesting and the people nice. A very introverted environment, extraverts might have a hard time.

Pros

it was next to my house

Cons

not able to continue remotely.

Good place

This is a good place to work. Depends on your roles. The work culture is positive. If you are postdoc you will not get the full benefits. That is a down side.

Fue gran oportunidad de contribuir,y participar, en proyecto social de gran importancia

Haber trabajado para la Universidad Johns Hopkins fue un honor y un placer.

Pros

Viajar por todo Latino america y dos paises de Asia

Cons

Ser assosor externo y no permanente

Productive and Fun Workplace

If you are doing bio-based research, Johns Hopkins University is the right place to go. You will find all kinds of resources you need and have opportunity to collaborate with different researchers.

Good start for a career

Good place to start your career. You will be expected to work hard and because many people want to work here, the expectation can be very obvious at times. Otherwise good place to work and everyone is always helpful and friendly.

Pros

Career projection

Cons

Heavy work load

Graduate Student Life will always be awful but it's not bad to be a grad student here

Johns Hopkins is a decent place to do your PhD or other advanced degree. Funded students are unionized, receive a decent stipend compared to Baltimore's COL, and have benefits. Institutional administration is also responsive and many faculty members are excellent mentors.

Phd at jhu

It depends on on the geoup. Some are very relaxed but may have finding problem. Some we well funded but not very stressful. And you would expect good facilities in your lab, since the management of shared facility is not so good.

okay workplace

The people were all very nice. The opportunity for a pay raise and/or advancement is limited. People are not paid what they are worth. HR was a nightmare to deal with as everything seemed to take an obnoxious amount of time to get done.

Pros

Lots of vacation and sick time

Cons

not paid well

Excellent place for aspiring researchers

If you're an aspiring healthcare researcher, JHU is a fantastic place to work for even though your experience is still dependent on the PI and specific lab culture. I was very lucky to have a PI (boss) who went the extra length to foster a personable and collaborative lab culture. Our personal time outside of work was respected and boss even allowed me to work flexible schedule so I could work and go to school at the same time. Co-workers were goals-driven, enthusiastic and down-to-earth. The organization itself embraces cutting-edge technology and research. I was able to learn a great deal and suspect that JHU will be a fantastic experience to build yourself up as a researcher.

The name looks good on the resume

people micromanage and manger doesn't care about workers except herself. the department's call center are not trained on insurances. loved the patients dearly and were the best part of the job! bonded and created relationships with the patients made the day go by faster.

Pros

schedule is flexible, an hour lunch, great physicians to work with

Cons

certain co-workers like to micromanage, have to pull other people's weight, have to pay for parking

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Johns Hopkins University. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Johns Hopkins University.
Powered byComparably