Johns Hopkins University Employee Reviews

There is no job security, working hours are too long
Research Specialist in Radiation Oncology (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 14, 2018
Everyday is a busy day, everyone just works to present data to a weekly lab meeting, people are not fair, they don;t give you credit for your work, everyone is under lots of pressure.
I beleive it depends on the PI too, my previous lab was not that bad, but where I work presently people are not friendly because PI is not friendly, I wish where you spend most of the time of your life that place would be more happier and a pleasant work environment, job safety, here your boss could tell you anytime to leave that place no matter how hard you have worked there .
Work environment somewhat chaotic due to being assigned to three different Directors with very different management styles.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 9, 2018
My employment at JHU was several years ago, and at that time, my office was geared toward work and getting the job done. There was little or no camaraderie; not a warm and friendly environment. Folk were civil, at best.
Pros
As an employee, I was able to take courses tuition free.
Cons
Working for three very different personalities and management styles.
Great experience and great coworkers
Administrative Coordinato (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 9, 2018
Working for the Career Center was a great experience. Most of the employees working there were great people and super nice. The leadership for the department was fairly new so they were trying to build themselves up. One gentleman in leadership within the CC made it an uncomfortable environment but aside from him, it was therapeutic environment to work in. The other ladies in the department were so supportive and welcoming (primarily female environment). The job itself wasn't too difficult, it was definitely manageable.
Pros
worm and welcoming environment, great resume booster
Cons
management isn't too organized
Very positive and productive work space with a wide amount of opportunity
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 5, 2018
Working at Johns Hopkins was very helpful for me to evolve as a person and gain basic working skills such as speaking to customers and new people, problem solving, and how to manage my work responsibilities
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
N/a
Interesting place
IT Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Laurel, MDNovember 2, 2018
There is definitely something for everyone here. No matter what type of work you are interested in, there is someone here who can help you align your dreams with your work.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Below industry compensation
great place to work for the benefits
Sr Patient Service Coordinator/Surgical Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Nottingham, MDNovember 2, 2018
front desk support, registration, appointment scheduling for office visits and occasional surgical scheduling, back up for lead when she is out. management is not the best its not always fair across the board with duties and responsibilities. working with the public can be very challenging at times but overall I love what I do.
Pros
convenient location/free parking
Cons
flexibility and management support
Top Notch science and great atmosphere
Postdoctoral researcher (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 1, 2018
best workplace to build your career, It was my dream to work at Hopkins, It was an amazing and moreover a learning experience for the rest of my career and life. Great atmosphere and people are always curious about new things and very supportive and conducive place to begin with. I had a great time and enjoyed working there.
Excellent fellowship training
Clinical and Research Endocrine Fellow (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 31, 2018
Clinical fellowship training experience provided by Johns Hopkins is unparalleled. The access to experts in the field is beyond compare and the ability to treat patients with complex endocrine disorders well equips trainees for practice in the real world.
Full-Time-Senior Research Nurse (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 30, 2018
Lots of opportunity at the hospital and university. Benefits are good and they offer dependent tuition assistance at 50% for any college that your child chooses.
Great place to learn and advance your career.
HLA QA Laboratory Technologist II (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 28, 2018
Hopkins is a great place to build your resume thanks to the wealth of knowledge it offers from the people who have worked there and established themselves to the state of the art knowledge they offer.
Pros
Family oriented
Good place to work for early career
Senior Grants & Contracts Analyst (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 24, 2018
The internal grant application system used for approving submissions and as a data warehouse is cumbersome but might be replaced in a couple years. Senior staff and manager are clear that it's necessary to follow up with central offices to make sure work gets done. This is a terrible problem at Hopkins. I want to believe this is due to poorly designed processes, bottle necks, and job turnover. Like all universities, it really depends on where you work whether the job is good or bad - some departments/divisions/offices are better than others. Hopkins seems to favor training up while paying less instead of hiring more experiences and professional staff. That's good for giving some people a great opportunity to develop a solid career and that's good if the administration and operations are well planned and easy to execute, but Hopkins is kinda bizarre and opaque. Overall, I would recommend working here to get the tuition discount, for job security, and the mission.
Pros
People are forgiving, work is easy, tuition discount
Cons
Poor systems and processes, medical school campus, low pay
didn't work their
Externship (Former Employee) –  MarylandOctober 23, 2018
I did not work their I only went for a summer program but it was cool I liked it. the program was called envision and it was for future health professionals
A workplace that has a lot of opportunity for growth
Medical Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 18, 2018
A typical day at work is like sprinting from the time you walk through the door until you leave.
I have learned a lot about the division in which I work.
Upper management does not care about the growth of the employees.
There is no work/life balance. It is run like a sweatshop.
The hardest part of the job is not having the support of upper management.
The most enjoyable part of the job is assisting patients with whatever they need.
N/a
Academic Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  MarylandOctober 11, 2018
I am not answering this question because I do not feel as though it is necessary to answer and it makes me very uncomfortable.There should be an option to skip this section.
Good Place to learn new things
Student (Former Employee) –  OnlineOctober 10, 2018
Good Place to learn new things with good faculties making the basis very accurate and with practical example.
The most enjoyable part of the job is collaboration
nice place to work for
Senior Medical Office Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 7, 2018
Hopkins have to many entitled people. It dose not matter how long you been working for them. If the entitled people do not get their way with you and management is on there side, you know who have to go.
Excellent experience
Patient Billing Representative (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 2, 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed my time as a Hopkins employee, from the educational opportunities to the team experiences I learned a lot as an associate. I would work here again.
Pros
Excellent employee training
Cons
I wish I could have had a greater opportunity for career advancement
Great Experience
Exe. Admin, Assistant to the Program Director (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 25, 2018
A fantastic place to work with great benefits. Open to all and enjoyable atmosphere. Located in a great part of Baltimore where visiting Fells point was s lunchtime experience.
Pros
Fantastic boss, great office staff, paid college for children of employees
former employee
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 24, 2018
This is not a review. This is only my opinion based on 18 years of employment experience. My experiences at Johns Hopkins University in the 1970's, was very pleasant. I liked my job in the 1970's. Some people have good experiences and some people don't. It does not reflect the entire University.
goof place to work for
Clinical Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 24, 2018
There is definitely job security but the pay is not great. Also the promotion in this company is difficult and hard. There are many opportunities within this company to advance your career.
Pros
many opportunities
Cons
very bad pay and promotion is limited