Johns Hopkins University Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Johns Hopkins University Baltimore MD
Lan Admin (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 20, 2018
learned a lot of valuable skills
Good Coworkers
training is good and extensive
Breaks Lunches and time off is good
Good PTO,
Probationary period is longer than normally expected
Research is interesting
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 19, 2018
No one should take my specific description of working at this university, as I am an undergrad and not technically employed. Also, it really depends on your boss.
Supportive academic environment, friendly office staff
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Homewood (main) campusAugust 14, 2018
I began using the skills I had in conference planning and marketing analysis and quickly learned WordPress website design software and used it to edit and update the departmental websites. I also gained expertise in travel arranging and calendar scheduling.
Pros
Academic environment, beautiful campus, friendly co-workers
Good research experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 14, 2018
Helped grad and senior students conduct research at the microscopic level.
Could have had more roles other than just operating an electronic microscope hah
Work environment was productive and fun
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 12, 2018
Management could use some revamping. Manager constantly was either late for work or never even showed up. Had the mentality of a boss and not a leader.
Pros
Work environment was relaxed and felt like working with family
Cons
Management was horrible
Large organization with varying roles
Endowment Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 9, 2018
Within the research field of Johns Hopkins, you have many specialties to choose from and it is fairly easy to move between labs when research funding ends. Hopkins rules preclude new labs from paying salaries less than your previous lab's salary. On the negative, as you move up in salary, it becomes harder to find new assignments at the end of your funding cycle because of this rule .

This has the unintentional effect of employees that have the most seniority, also have the hardest time finding new employment at the end of research funding.
Productive work environment
Custodian/Floor Tech (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 9, 2018
My typical day at Johns Hopkins University consists of my maintaining the cleanliness of all Bathrooms, Private Office's, Kitchen areas, Library and Stairwell. Disposal of trash throughout the facility and Mop, Buff, Strip and Waxing floors as needed . Working for the University has been such a great experience and the Supervisors are excellent.
Productive work environment
Academic Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 9, 2018
A Typical work environment, with average workplace culture. The hardest part of the job was keeping up with constant changes. Friendly work environment in general.
Pros
Shedule
Cons
Poor managemnet
Great company to have on your resume.
Research Technologist II (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 8, 2018
JHU is world renowned. It is an awesome reference to have on your resume. However, I believe with this prestige comes low pay within this company. Salaries are low.
Pros
Prestige, great company to have on your resume.
Cons
Low pay.
Horrible place to work. Management is very cut throat.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Green Spring StationAugust 3, 2018
I would not recommend JHU to anyone. Poor upper management and director. Cut throat environment. Upper Management lies to make themselves look good and makes the other employees/employee look bad. Upper Management tries to micromanage and that is not the way it needs to be done. A respectful manager would not treat employees this way. JHU=HORRIBLE PLACE TO WORK.
Benefits
Cons
Poor Management
Fast paced and stressful
Nutritionist Tech (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 2, 2018
The job was fast paced, stressful and there was minimal room for advancement. The director was not compassionate about family and medical issues and taking time off when necessary.
Pros
Ocassional trainings and free lunches
Cons
Stress, Rude clients
Good Summer Job
Johns Hopkins CTY Residential Assistant (Former Employee) –  Westchester, CAAugust 2, 2018
Fun place to work and meet people from all over the wolrd. Good way to work and interact with students. It does get stressful at times but if you work together and get along with fellow R.A's it is fun.
Pros
people, free food, free livng
Job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDAugust 2, 2018
This was by far the best job i worked for. They managers were great as the associates were super professional and friendly. They have great incentives for their employees. Only suggestion i have is more pay.
good
Front Desk Admin (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 1, 2018
This job was a good job sad it was a temp job
i learned alot
managment was cool
workplace...cool
hardest part? waking up in the morning
most enjoyable? that paycheck
The work is good, the atmosphere is horrible.
Pathology Consult Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 30, 2018
I really enjoy what I do, I do not enjoy the environment I have to do it in. The people in the office function like high school cliques with the more senior staff members bullying the newer employees. This is made worse by the lack of concern shown by management when the issue is brought to them. I don't know if they are scared to loose the senior staff or they just don't like confrontation, but concerns and even proof when brought to management fall on deaf ears. Sometimes when you try to voice your concerns about the office atmosphere you are not only ignored, but told to "suck it up and get back to work".
Pros
Great Benefits, the work you do is helping people
Cons
Stressful work conditions
career development & Fulfilling
Clinical Research Coordinator II (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 30, 2018
Great place to work at and develops the next steps of your career. You get to contribute in major changes in the biomedical revolution. Interesting Research
Pros
Career Development, Job Fulfillment
Cons
low salary
Great Place to Initiate a Career
Coordinator III (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 27, 2018
Typical day was hectic but productive due to the staff I had the good fortune of working with and on behalf of. Never a dull moment for support staffers as the environment although challenging also presented many rewards via feedback from patients and students.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
great place to work
Custodial Services Supervisor (Current Employee) –  East Baltimore CampusJuly 25, 2018
Good place to work but lacks advancement opportunities. The best part of the job is the people you end up working with. The worst part is putting up with the short falls of management
Cons
Management needs better training
Depends on your department and managers
Insurance Resolution Specialist (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 24, 2018
My department/area is very laid back and the manager/supervisors don't micromanage and treat us respectfully. Co-workers get along. This job in particular can be hard on the body sitting all day but you're free to move about as long as you make your numbers. I've made lateral moves to different positions within, which is a plus with Hopkins, but to make a better salary, you have to educate yourself and/or supervise or manage.
Pros
Paid vacations/sick, Flex and overtime in my department, Work from home opportunity, Incentive bonus, No incoming calls usually, Opportunity to pursue education, Make lateral move or move up
Cons
Money not great
Nice place to work
Sr. Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 24, 2018
JHU is a nice diverse place to work. I was able to be comfortable and secure in my job. Ultimately I felt like I had outgrown the job. I needed somewhere else to be able to grow.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
low compensation and raises