Johns Hopkins University Employee Reviews

Slow work days
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDMarch 19, 2019
My typical day at my workplace can be steady at times; however, I find it boring. Overall management, I find is good but lacks communication. The culture of Johns Hopkins is good and the volunteering opportunities are an enjoyable part of the job. There are many friendly co-workers that help with the day but many are overworked.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Slow
No Comment
RECEPTIONIST/SECRETARY (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDMarch 18, 2019
This was a temporary position (it was only about a month long assignment). Therefore, I am unable to comment on this position. I am sure that it is a nice place to work, but I was not there long enough to make a fair evaluation.
Pros
Unable to comment
Cons
Unable to comment
Great Benefits and environment
Associate Director of Analytics (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 17, 2019
I love having a job where people work together for a greater purpose. JHU is a mainstay in the Baltimore Area in the past, present and future. This is a place where employee retention is not only a priority it is is a fact. I work with people everyday who have 20 or 30 years on the job. I could see myself here for the next twenty years.
Johns Hopkins HealthCare LLC
Project Coordinator/Manager (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 15, 2019
Johns Hopkins HealthCare (JHHC) provides excellent benefits for their employees and dependents. JHHC offers flex time and telework. However, the organization does not pay well. Employees are overworked and stressed due to work load. Many departments have high turnover rates due to issues identified previously. I think if the salary matched other organizations and each department is staffed with enough employees this would be an awesome place to work.
Pros
telework, benefits, free parking
Cons
overworked, not good salary
It would be a great job except for all the people.
Campus Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 11, 2019
This was supposed to be a job that would get me in the door... now it is just a reason to leave.

The most difficult part of working at Hopkins was the insecurity that accompanied the job. It was difficult to know when one was doing well or not. Additionally, the training was woefully inadequate.

The most enjoyable part of the job was developing work relationships with others who could guide co-workers through difficult issues with advice and encouragement.
JHU Management Issues:
Category Lead - Subject Matter Expert (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 6, 2019
The senior management team at JHU does not provide top down direction. Making it hard to convince departments to become part of the solution to save costs.

Hard to push savings up hill at this organization. Each group can say no at any time and there is not directive from upper management to save money.
Pros
Educational Assistance if you need it.
Cons
No promotions from within, Always bringing in outside talent, No building your staff for advancement.
Great place to work, depending on your supervisor
Research Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 27, 2019
I worked at Hopkins for 15 years. The benefits are great, opportunities for advancement are also good depending on your supervisor and department. If you have a supervisor that is not supportive, your career might not grow.
Pros
Great opportunities and benefits
Cons
Workplace culture, high workload, limited support
very productive workplace
Senior Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 25, 2019
busy office. you will definitely do a lot of multi tasking & learn a lot. schedule surgeries, answer the phones, handle calendars, help solve issues with patients.
Great place to work and develop as an engineer
Data Center Network Engineer (Current Employee) –  College Park, MDFebruary 22, 2019
Great work place for work and life balance.
Great management system for staffs.
A lot of opportunity to develop skill sets as an engineer.
Solid support from team members
Pros
managers, education opportunity, family friendly
Hopkins is great
Senior Academic Program Coordinator, MBA Programs (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 21, 2019
Working for a behemoth like Hopkins can be intimidating at first, but honestly this is a wonderful place to work. The culture is about hard work but collaboration and commitment. You are supported in wanting to grow and be promoted beyond your current position, and management always has your back. I love working here and love the people I work with. Great benefits, and they understand having a family and having a life outside of work.
busy fast paced
Research Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 19, 2019
moving from patient to patient to irb submission to emails phone calls multiple study monitors who all feel that their study is top priority

Come in meet with team...
Go to clinic, see patients
Schedule patients for all hospital assessments
report to several supervisors throughout the day
update information from patent visits on spreadsheets and case report forms
Pros
flexible
Cons
no advancement
Productive Workplace
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 19, 2019
What you get out of the program is entirely based on how much effort you put in. Access to a wide variety of resources allows for diverse exploration of ideas.
A First-Time Discouraging Employment Experience ce
Senior Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 18, 2019
A typical day at Johns Hopkins School of Medicine - Clinical Trials was very structured and competitive. I learned that the intense competition among employees too often encouraged a sense of insecurity and distrust. The management mentality varied widely and the success of employees often varied according to the manager. The workplace culture was discouraging and not supportive - except when experienced employees took it upon themselves to assist others.

good company
Research Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 17, 2019
Good company to work with and great benefits The manager in my division was great to work for. As were my other co-workers. If I had the opportunity again I would gladly go back to the people i was working with before.
Provided Support to Schools
Transformation Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 11, 2019
The team works diligently to help transform schools by working with staff to change the school's culture. The team focuses on assisting students improve their attendance, academics and behavior.
Great Student Job
Assistant AV Technician (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 1, 2019
Working in the AV department is a great job for a student who wants to focus on their studies and make some money on the side. Co-workers were always friendly and made the job really fun.
Prestige in the work
Research Technician (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 30, 2019
My alma mater. I learned a lot from this university, and the research positions I held. Definitely can feel the prestige of the work that is being done and the minds that bring that work to fruition. The workplace culture is good, and the most enjoyable part was the work.
It is alright but recruitment is slow
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDJanuary 25, 2019
It's okay but because they grew they lost that personal touch in making anyone feel important. It just became different than what so many people grew to love about it.
JHU is a good place to work
professor of Education (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 24, 2019
JHU is a good place to work. It is a healthy climate, but heavy work load. there is ample opportunity to express one's opinion and to engage with leadership.
Pros
good hours
Great Benefits
Budget Specialist (Current Employee) –  EBMCJanuary 22, 2019
JHU has some great benefits and other great perks too. You would have to work here to form your own opinion about JHU and the people that work here.
Pros
Benefits and time off
Cons
Depends on who you work with