Johns Hopkins University Employee Reviews

Terrible experience at hopkins
Grad Student (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 16, 2018
Bad work life balance. The university treats graduate students badly. Professors abused their power over PHD students. Awful place to be in. The administration doesn't care or make effort to improve the situation
Great place to work at. Very diverse.
Ambulatory Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 14, 2018
John Hopkins University, strive to be a successful cultural competent institution. The management guides diversity training to accommodate their employees, while ensuring an inclusive workplace. Also, management understands to cater to the cultural variations of their community, in which their employees are based. Therefore, employees feel they belong, can trust the organization, and have mutual respect with management. These are all essential qualities in becoming a culturally competent organization. Johns Hopkins University serves a diverse, multicultural community and committed in providing a safe, cost efficient, quality, patient and family centered care, with the goal of improving the health of the community that they serve. In addition, the organization integrate a diversity of thought and perspective. Johns Hopkins University believes that by recruiting and retaining a diverse community and creating a climate of respect, innovation is encouraged and our ability to fulfill the institution’s core mission is greatly enhanced.
science lab
Science Program (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 10, 2018
i worked in the lab testing blood sample for plasma at jhons hopkins for a summer internship i did data entry &customer service labling , transfers at the hospital
can be productive
Patient Service Coordinator III (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 8, 2018
johns Hopkins overall NEED to do better with Hippa violations
also need better pay for employees
working to hopkins can teach you a lot about life and prepare you for whats to come you also can learn how to be excellent with customer servicc
Great place to work, with great opportunities
Patient Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 7, 2018
Johns Hopkins is a great place to further your career. Its a lot of departments and positions that you can move up to. I started as a Security Officer and worked my up to a Patient Service Coordinator.
SENIOR SYSTEMS ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee) –  Laurel, MDSeptember 7, 2018
Very supportive environment. Prevailing work ethic is strong. Do need to go into management to get ahead. Pay is on a progessive level, excellence is rewarded.
Pros
Flexible scheudling
Great place to be a graduate student
PhD Candidate (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 3, 2018
I had a great experience while receiving my PhD. Everyone is incredibly smart, helpful, and collaborative. I'm sure certain labs are more cut throat than others, however my experience was nothing but positive.
Good workplace
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 30, 2018
Management and workplace culture were great. Benefits were good. A typical day involved cataloguing books by myself at a desk. The most enjoyable part was when I had the opportunity to work with colleagues. The hardest part was staying motivated when the highest level of management seemed to make random or inefficient decisions.
Good place to work, but not great
Senior Research Specialist (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 30, 2018
Perfectly happy working here, but there is an exchange of pay and benefits for the cache of working for Hopkins. This job has been a really good resume builder, I've learned a lot, but there isn't much room for advancement in my particular department.
Pros
Excellent resume builder
Cons
pay/benefits
A very exciting and diverse place to work that is recognized all over the world
Budget Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 30, 2018
Johns Hopkins is known all over the world as one of the best for medicine and research. One can witness this first hand as an employee of Johns Hopkins as you associate with the faculty and staff that make this institution what it is.
A lot depends on the Department you work in
Medical Office Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 29, 2018
I work in a call center and I also coordinate for the 9 Resident doctors in the office. I learned to work as a team and polished my ability to switch from task to task effectively and efficiently.
Workplace culture
Program Administrator (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 28, 2018
While the work itself is rewarding and most people have a personal investment in helping patients, the company as a whole did not go out of their way to keep good employees or compensate them for the skills and job performed.
Poor university administration, poor guidance in teaching for new teachers, poor professional culture
Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 21, 2018
Although my salary was excellent and enough to sustain me and my current rent, it was a disorganized place to work. If you worked between departments, you would often find that their systems and organization were entirely different from each other. The professional culture was lacking in any real guidance for teachers or any other position held there. Likewise, pay raise increases did not occur and health insurance options were removed after the second year of the three-year graduate program I attended there.
Pros
Living Wage
Cons
Poor Culture, environment, disorganization, inability to advance one's career within the university
Johns Hopkins University Baltimore MD
Lan Admin (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 20, 2018
learned a lot of valuable skills
Good Coworkers
training is good and extensive
Breaks Lunches and time off is good
Good PTO,
Probationary period is longer than normally expected
Research is interesting
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 19, 2018
No one should take my specific description of working at this university, as I am an undergrad and not technically employed. Also, it really depends on your boss.
Supportive academic environment, friendly office staff
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Homewood (main) campusAugust 14, 2018
I began using the skills I had in conference planning and marketing analysis and quickly learned WordPress website design software and used it to edit and update the departmental websites. I also gained expertise in travel arranging and calendar scheduling.
Pros
Academic environment, beautiful campus, friendly co-workers
Good research experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 14, 2018
Helped grad and senior students conduct research at the microscopic level.
Could have had more roles other than just operating an electronic microscope hah
Work environment was productive and fun
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 12, 2018
Management could use some revamping. Manager constantly was either late for work or never even showed up. Had the mentality of a boss and not a leader.
Pros
Work environment was relaxed and felt like working with family
Cons
Management was horrible
Large organization with varying roles
Endowment Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 9, 2018
Within the research field of Johns Hopkins, you have many specialties to choose from and it is fairly easy to move between labs when research funding ends. Hopkins rules preclude new labs from paying salaries less than your previous lab's salary. On the negative, as you move up in salary, it becomes harder to find new assignments at the end of your funding cycle because of this rule .

This has the unintentional effect of employees that have the most seniority, also have the hardest time finding new employment at the end of research funding.
Productive work environment
Custodian/Floor Tech (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 9, 2018
My typical day at Johns Hopkins University consists of my maintaining the cleanliness of all Bathrooms, Private Office's, Kitchen areas, Library and Stairwell. Disposal of trash throughout the facility and Mop, Buff, Strip and Waxing floors as needed . Working for the University has been such a great experience and the Supervisors are excellent.