Johnson & Wales University Employee Reviews

4.2
Ratings breakdown
Intern for strength and conditioning
Strength and Conditioning Intern (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 11, 2018
Very fun environment working with collegiate level athletes. Athletes were receptive to training and were fun to work with! Staff was enjoyable and helpful
fun work place
Technical Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIJuly 5, 2018
TSA was my part time job where i used to assist the students and professors with any technical issues with the classrooms and their desktops. the environment was new and felt great.
A very relaxed yet productive job
Student Involvement Worker (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIJune 23, 2018
Johnson & Wales is a work-oriented yet fun school to be at, and i definitely recommend students to work there. It is crucial to put fun and happiness as undertones since these concepts actually make the work get done faster; which this school understands pretty well.
Mission driven for the student experience
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIJune 23, 2018
Johnson & Wales is a mission driven work environment that factors in the student mindset and experience in all decisions made throughout the University.
Great institution
Culinary Intern / Harbor View Dining Hall (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIJune 14, 2018
This was a great education. The programs are excellent to learn all methods of cooking and styles. It gives a boost into the industry that would have taken longer to learn from just cooking in restaurants.
Great Place to Volunteer
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 6, 2018
Most people won't have the opportunity I did, but I've been with JWU since 2004! Everyone is nice. A great environment and fun, engaging events that help people within and without the University!
Pros
Free Food, Good People
Great Place to grow
Manager of Men's Basketball Team (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIMay 31, 2018
I had the opportunity to work in the athletic department. Every person I was blessed to work with once they knew you where serious about why you where there they are very kind, approachable, giving, and just absolutely amazing people. I learned so much about the world of collegiate athletics and they helped me understand why I want to continue to advance in this field.
Pros
being around people who understand this field of work
Cons
very little time to live my life
Great Experience for Grad Students
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIMay 27, 2018
I benefited tremendously from the Graduate Assistant position as it allowed me to handle several hr tasks whilst pursuing my degree in Masters in Human Resources.
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Miami, FL 33182May 26, 2018
The staff is very helpful and the staff is friendly and don't mind teaching you the correct way to prepare food and it's very clean place to work. Food variety was good, lots to choose from.

Lots of work to do and the students and staff very nice.
served more than 200 people a night on my shift.
Pros
Good hours and location
Nice place to work
Academic Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIMay 22, 2018
Overall, collaborative environment. JWU's fosters a respectful environment, provides the tools necessary to do the job. Very nice place to work and would recommend Johnson & Wales.
Pros
benefits, paid time off - winter break and early release Fridays during summer
Cons
salary
no hourly cap
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIMay 21, 2018
My salary position allowed the university to use me for an average of 70 hours per week, despite only being paid for 35 hours. This included nights, weekends and holidays. I was basically always on call. When co-workers left, the school did not replace them, resulting in more work for those of us who were left. The university seems to be in a budget crisis and made massive lay-offs last year, and most departments continue to struggle to make up the slack with less help and slashed budgets. It became a miserable environment. I didn't even receive a cost of living raise for several years, despite stellar reviews.
Pros
university benefits, non profit, fitness center
Cons
unlimited unpaid overtime
collabrative
CAT Member (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIMay 19, 2018
worked in teams to make events happen. events took place on a weekend and some weekdays mostly Fridays. teams would give tours to families and after a tour you could go up to the lounge and eat
Pros
free lunch
Cons
no benefit s
Work Culture and Management
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIMay 18, 2018
I was working only part-time at Johnson and Wales University, but it was great experience leaning different things. People at Johnson & Wales University is very helpful.
Great University
College of Business Assistant (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLMay 14, 2018
Johnson & Wales University is a growing and upcoming powerhouse of a University. Since attending starting in 2009, the campus has almost been completely re-created.
pretty nice
Fitness Center Staff (Former Employee) –  North Miami, FLMay 12, 2018
it is an easy enough job. basic duties and such in a fitness environment. students and staff were extremely easy to get along and work with. not a bad place to work.
Stellar Work Environment
Manager/Designer (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIMay 1, 2018
Being a Resource Room Manager at Johnson and Wales University is an amazing Opportunity. I was able to sharpen and practice my design skills in a laid back and supportive environment.
Pros
Free summer class/meal swipes, flexible schedule for classes
Cons
pays minimum wage
When Management Thinks They Are The Smartest In The Room, It Shows
Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIApril 30, 2018
JWU campus and senior administration run the organization as if they are the smartest people in the room. This behavior stymies most innovative or novel ideas brought forth by individuals that are not "toeing the line" with administrators.

You can succeed in this environment if you concede.
Pros
Full medical, 401k contributions
Cons
Arrogant management teams
Relaxed and productive workplace
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIApril 25, 2018
A typical day in my workplace includes answering the phone, helping visitors and students and filling office material as directed. In my job I learned how to multitask, developed better communication skills and how to maintain patience. In my opinion management means to obtain a well organized staff, keeping the business clean and free of problems for both employees and clientele. Workplace culture in my opinion, focuses on strategies and organization between the manager and the employees to maintain a healthy and stable workplace. The hardest part of my job is trying to keep busy when the workload is low. I love to be active around the workplace, see if anyone needs help and keep busy. The most enjoyable part of my job is communicating with different audiences and getting to have the chance to help them with things that they need, especially when people who do not speak English come to my job because I can assist the right away since I also speak Spanish.
Great opportunity for students
Technical Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIApril 24, 2018
Despite being international student, I got hired and treated well. this proved its excellent diversity practices. The supervisor was very humble and helpful. Overall, great working environment.
no response
Associate Practicum Fellow (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIApril 12, 2018
This was the university attended and only worked in the capacity of a
teaching assistant. Cannot comment as it has been over 30 years since attending.